Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Great observation about Chips' Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
NOBODY IS REALLY sure when the exorcism took place, but somewhere on YouTube there must be a video of the purging of demons from the offices of the Philadelphia Eagles.

You can make the assumption that the devils were sent off in the direction of Cleveland or Kansas City, or some major television network named after a sly animal that preys on barnyard chickens, but the important part is that the Eagles are different.

In pro sports, any connection between fans and team is always highlighted with success, and in that area the Eagles have already surpassed the expectations of most people. And Sunday’s win over the Lions in a memorable snow epic at the Linc was another building block of unity.

You couldn’t be there, you couldn’t watch without feeling like you were part of something special.

But more than just wins and losses, the Eagles have discovered a new way to bond with a fan base that felt held at arm’s length for so much of the recent past.

These are not your paranoid, hide-behind-the-game-plan Philadelphia Eagles. These Philadelphia Eagles are out from behind the shadows of secrecy, and into the sunlight of a new era.

These Philadelphia Eagles really do feel like a part of the city. In the matter of less than a year, the Philadelphia Eagles have figured out that the first part of their name – PHILADELPHIA - matters as much as the second part of the name.

Much credit goes to first-year coach Chip Kelly, who ironically arrived in town with no chip on his shoulder. He arrived with a visor, a backpack, and the confidence that he knows what he’s doing.

As such, he rolls with the punches of a fan base that certainly knows how to throw a jab, and answers the questions with a smirk. Even when he loses some patience, the result is not a condescending attitude, but an irreverence that at least acknowledges the right to ask a question.

On the whole, it has been an amazing transformation. Even those who were rightfully weary of the whole Michael Vick saga must admit that Vick has played his role to perfection, settling into the background as Nick Foles takes over at quarterback.

The ugly Riley Cooper name-calling mess that smeared the preseason has dissolved into the story of Cooper becoming a primary reason the Eagles have turned their season around. It was a powder keg of a story that was disarmed by Cooper, Kelly and yes – Vick.

No matter what happens from now until the end of the season, the view from this seat is that this is just the beginning of a new passion and a new era.

The Eagles have figured out the emotional connection between a team and its fans is a two-way street.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/nuf-sai...VE1MQAzhrKLC.99

Morganti is a bit of an ass, but he hit the nail on the head with this write up.
nephillymike
He hit the nail on the head.

It is SOO much a refreshing change.

I feel like Sally Field:

"they like me, they like me, they really do like me!!"
samaroo
Awesome piece, and well stated.

I was reading that thinking, "Damn, Birdwatcher is a hell of a writer!" biggrin.gif

Maybe not, but your cut and paste skills are second to none!
Zero
I'm trying to keep a governor on my giddiness, but it's getting harder and harder. Throat clearing and rodents aside, I've been conditioned for the inevitable balloon puncture. I'm a Pavlovian creature, waiting for the bell that will send me into yet another state of acceptance.

The front edge of my seat has been worn bare and it's time I devoted my energy to extending my arms to the heavens with repeated leaps and howls of delight.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 11 2013, 06:39 AM) *
I'm trying to keep a governor on my giddiness, but it's getting harder and harder. Throat clearing and rodents aside, I've been conditioned for the inevitable balloon puncture. I'm a Pavlovian creature, waiting for the bell that will send me into yet another state of acceptance.

The front edge of my seat has been worn bare and it's time I devoted my energy to extending my arms to the heavens with repeated leaps and howls of delight.

I have to admit that it has been a while since i jumped (literally) out of my seat, in celebration, during an Eagles game. After that dismal first half, I had the excuses ready for the loss. It felt even more grim when Detroit went ahead by 2 TD's mid way through the 3rd, on that #@!%-ing punt return. Then we scored...and again...then they scored (#@!%-ing kick return)...we answered back and then some.....it was a flurry of excitement and big plays. When Stafford fumbled and lost that ball I jumped out of my seat and cheered like how I imagined I would cheer if we won the SB. My 3 year old son was very entertained by the spectacle.

He got to see it again on Monday night when Chicago put a beating on Dallas. Even though it was past his bedtime, I wanted him to catch some of the Eagle fever that is starting to spread.
PhrankieG
But more than just wins and losses, the Eagles have discovered a new way to bond with a fan base that felt held at arm’s length for so much of the recent past.

That is pretty spot on.

New member, first time poster. I have been to a few other, less dignified, Eagles forums. Hopefully wingheads is a winner. The others were full of a bunch of idiots.

Glad to be here...go birds.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 11 2013, 10:15 AM) *
I have to admit that it has been a while since i jumped (literally) out of my seat, in celebration, during an Eagles game. After that dismal first half, I had the excuses ready for the loss. It felt even more grim when Detroit went ahead by 2 TD's mid way through the 3rd, on that #@!%-ing punt return. Then we scored...and again...then they scored (#@!%-ing kick return)...we answered back and then some.....it was a flurry of excitement and big plays. When Stafford fumbled and lost that ball I jumped out of my seat and cheered like how I imagined I would cheer if we won the SB. My 3 year old son was very entertained by the spectacle.

He got to see it again on Monday night when Chicago put a beating on Dallas. Even though it was past his bedtime, I wanted him to catch some of the Eagle fever that is starting to spread.

That's great!

You will be surprised of how much of that emotion sinks in to kids at a young age.

My oldest used to watch the games with me when he was 2. He quickly learned that Eagles were important and why Daddy yelled so much. His brother too. Now I have two nut Eagles fan teenagers ages 17 and 15.

nephillymike
QUOTE (PhrankieG @ Dec 11 2013, 01:23 PM) *

That is pretty spot on.

New member, first time poster. I have been to a few other, less dignified, Eagles forums. Hopefully wingheads is a winner. The others were full of a bunch of idiots.

Welcome aboard.

If you use the bar stool rule, you'll be fine!
Eyrie
QUOTE (PhrankieG @ Dec 11 2013, 06:23 PM) *

That is pretty spot on.

Welcome a-board!

House rule - newbies have to get the cyber-beers in cheers.gif
mcnabbulous

That is pretty spot on.

Welcome aboard!
Rick

This place is full of idiots, too.
TGryn
Sorry to break up the lovefest, but like most Morganti pieces, "the BS is strong with this one."

This team is no better in touch with the true soul of Philly than, say, the 2004 team was. Winning makes everything seem better, that's all that's going on. If we were 5-8 instead of 8-5, we'd be hearing how Kelly's gimmicky offense doesn't fit in with Philly's desire for real football, and how he needs to take it back to Oregon and get an actual coach in here. Have another game like the first Dallas one, which there inevitably will be at some point, or lose in the playoffs, then lets see how Morganti feels about how truly representative of the town the team is.

I also don't agree with the default that Morganti is a valid judge of the pulse of the town, any more than Missinelli or Eskin is. A lot of the Eagles beat writers grew to dislike Reid as he learned what to expect from each one, something Kelly hasn't had time to do yet, so I expect they'll turn on Chip in good time, as they always do.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 11 2013, 06:12 PM) *
Sorry to break up the lovefest, but like most Morganti pieces, "the BS is strong with this one."

This team is no better in touch with the true soul of Philly than, say, the 2004 team was. Winning makes everything seem better, that's all that's going on. If we were 5-8 instead of 8-5, we'd be hearing how Kelly's gimmicky offense doesn't fit in with Philly's desire for real football, and how he needs to take it back to Oregon and get an actual coach in here. Have another game like the first Dallas one, which there inevitably will be at some point, or lose in the playoffs, then lets see how Morganti feels about how truly representative of the town the team is.

I also don't agree with the default that Morganti is a valid judge of the pulse of the town, any more than Missinelli or Eskin is. A lot of the Eagles beat writers grew to dislike Reid as he learned what to expect from each one, something Kelly hasn't had time to do yet, so I expect they'll turn on Chip in good time, as they always do.

Absolutely. A true, great fan stands by their coach when the going gets tough.

tongue.gif
TGryn
What bugs me a bit is we just had one of those games that will stand out for a generation, where we'll be talking about it for years and years, and Morganti sees it mainly as another opportunity to take a swipe at Reid?

If anybody's out of touch with the city right now, it's guys like Morganti and Missinelli who's whole schtick is based on negativity. Let the old grudges go and just enjoy the run, however long it may last.
Jax
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 11 2013, 04:18 PM) *
This place is full of idiots, too.

We aren't without a few clowns but for the most part we are a much cleaner forum than most. I think that makes it a special board.
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Dec 12 2013, 08:42 AM) *
We aren't without a few clowns but for the most part we are a much cleaner forum than most. I think that makes it a special board.

Fair enough, we're less offensive idiots then. smile.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 11 2013, 06:12 PM) *
I also don't agree with the default that Morganti is a valid judge of the pulse of the town,
any more than Missinelli or Eskin is. A lot of the Eagles beat writers grew to dislike Reid as he learned what to expect from
each one, something Kelly hasn't had time to do yet, so I expect they'll turn on Chip in good time, as they always do.

I'm sorry, but this is BS. Obviously winning makes everything better, which is why it took so long for Andy's condescending
arrogance and cold style to wear on us. You can talk down to people and answer every question with 'I've got to do a better
job' as long as you're winning 11 games a year and winning playoff games. However, when you just finished 8-8 and
explain missing the playoffs in a press conference by saying 'well if you do the math, they were 9-7 and we were 8-8' you might
start to piss people off. When you're losing by 30 points in a blowout loss, and with 1 minute left use your star running back
in a simple run play to pad his carries so you can avoid some criticism about your predictable play calling, and he gets lost to
a concussion, you don't answer a question about this by coldly stating 'we were trying to win the game.'

I would say the beat writers grew to dislike him as they learned what to expect from HIM and got it, not the other way around.

Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game and only got 1 division title, yet he's revered here. That's because, as Morganti states,
he embraced the city and made us think he was one of the fans. Chip Kelly has done the exact same thing, and this team,
no longer saddled with mercenary douchebags like Babin and Aso, has won us over by playing with heart and exceeding all
expectations.

Last, don't put Missanelli and Eskin in the same sentence as Morganti. I would be ok with saying he's a valid judge on
the pulse of the town - Missanelli and Eskin are scumbags. Missanelli talked shit to David Akers and called him a girl a day
after he kicked a game-winning field goal with half his leg hanging off - and Eskin is basically a leftover of the last regime,
shilling for Reid and Banner in exchange for access. He's a sellout and an absolute disgrace, and I've never met one Philly
sports fan who doesn't wish a slow and painful death on him.

A true and great fan gives respect where it's earned, and doesn't swear fealty to someone just because Lurie gives them
a paycheck. If you want to show unconditional love for people who have none for you, go be a St. Louis Cardinals fan.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 12:39 PM) *
Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game and only got 1 division title, yet he's revered here.

This is bullshit. Most of the guys that dealt with both guys liked Reid much more than Buddy. It's oblivious fans that revere Buddy. Talk about pissing away talent.
TGryn
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 09:39 AM) *
I'm sorry, but this is BS. Obviously winning makes everything better, which is why it took so long for Andy's condescending arrogance and cold style to wear on us.

This kind of stuff from Kelly is pretty much the same thing that you're condemning Reid for. The difference is he's winning right now, so it becomes fresh and amusing instead. If he's 5-8, it becomes "talking down to the fans", "thinking he's smarter than everybody else" and so on.

Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game and only got 1 division title, yet he's revered here. That's because, as Morganti states, he embraced the city and made us think he was one of the fans.

In retrospect, Buddy got a free ride from the press because he was always good with the one-liners which made the media's job a lot easier. He was fun, which was fun for the fans, but unfortunately for him he couldn't get along with the owner and couldn't win big games, which was a fatal combination. Like Vermeil, the only reason the town didn't turn on him was because he didn't last long enough for the team to turn sour. There was also a time when Ray Rhodes was beloved in this town, before he started losing.

In Philly, winning isn't everything, its the only thing.
mcnabbulous
Great posts, TGryn. You couldn't be more right. Especially about the length of service. Give Buddy 13 years in Philly and he would be absolutely despised.
HOUSEoPAIN
This kind of stuff from Kelly is pretty much the same thing that you're condemning Reid for

No, it's precisely the OPPOSITE of what I'm condemning Reid for. He received an unbelievably stupid question from a
reporter, and gave a humorous response, complete with a couple curse words, without going 'Bob Knight' on the guy. Do you
know how many brownie points Andy could've gotten by doing that once in his time here?

My only experience with Kelly (other than watching the games) are the weekly appearances he makes on WIPs morning show.
(Of course, Morganti is involved in those interviews). He's witty, funny, engaging, and seems like the kind of guy you live or
work next to, and can easily relate to. So did Buddy. You should listen to one of those interviews, several of which occurred the day after
bad losses.

In retrospect, Buddy got a free ride from the press because he was always good with the one-liners which made the media's
job a lot easier

Imagine that. I agree, and it's part of my point.

He was fun, which was fun for the fans, but unfortunately for him he couldn't get along with the owner and couldn't win
big games, which was a fatal combination

Fatal for his job, not his legacy. Publicly not getting along with a gazillionaire who wouldn't make an offer to Reggie White
seems to be a great PR move in Philly. The 'fatal combination' is not getting along with the fans and the press, long after
your winning seasons are over.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 02:31 PM) *
No, it's precisely the OPPOSITE of what I'm condemning Reid for. He received an unbelievably stupid question from a
reporter, and gave a humorous response, complete with a couple curse words, without going 'Bob Knight' on the guy.

When he's winning. Yes. Everything seems fun and humorous when things are going well.

Andy's "I have to do a better job there" routinely came after losses. See how that works?

You probably remember Chip dropping that all too familiar phrase when we were 3-5.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2013, 11:44 AM) *
This is bullshit. Most of the guys that dealt with both guys liked Reid much more than Buddy. It's oblivious fans that revere Buddy. Talk about pissing away talent.

Really? Buddy was (is) a fan favorite and a favorite of the press. Suggesting that "most people" liked Reid more is hyperbole. Reid had more success, but that doesn't mean that he is liked more.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2013, 02:11 PM) *
Andy's "I have to do a better job there" routinely came after losses. See how that works?

Andy made that his catch phrase. He used it all the while, not just after losses. That's one of the reasons (some) fans took issue with the comment. It didn't come off as sincere...even though he probably meant it.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2013, 02:11 PM) *

Andy had no personality, and will never be loved, regardless of him being more successful than Buddy and (right now) Chip.
Buddy and Chip connected with their fanbase, and were immediately embraced. That's why Buddy is still revered here, 20
years later - and even just one year after Andy's departure you're the only one left here defending him. See how that works?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 02:24 PM) *
Andy had no personality, and will never be loved, regardless of him being more successful than Buddy and (right now) Chip.
Andy's personality was fine when things were going well.

Buddy and Chip connected with their fanbase, and were immediately embraced. That's why Buddy is still revered here, 20 years later - and even just one year after Andy's departure you're the only one left here defending him. See how that works?

As TGryn said, but you fail to recognize, Buddy's only beloved because he wasn't around long enough to piss everybody off. If Andy's stint was only 5 years, your disdain for him would be non-existent. Instead, he'd be the guy that lead us from one of the worst franchises in the NFL, to one of the best.

Buddy was a piece of shit. It's really that simple. The media in Oregon's relationship with Chip was anything but a love affair.

Case in point

CHIP KELLY’S OREGON LEGACY TARNISHED OVER TIME

A few years ago, Chip Kelly’s Oregon legacy was a lot easier to outline. There was no Willie Lyles, there was no NFL flirtation, and there was more quick-witted humor than quick-witted piercings for journalists.

So you're wrong...again.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2013, 03:21 PM) *
Really? Buddy was (is) a fan favorite and a favorite of the press. Suggesting that "most people" liked Reid more is hyperbole. Reid had more success, but that doesn't mean that he is liked more.

Not by fans, but I know that Reuben Frank, who covered both, is on the record as saying he much preferred Reid to Ryan.

Buddy gave sound bites, but was an asshole. Andy is respected across football as being a class act.

But you guys can love the guy who put bounties on other players and faked taking knees so he could run up the score. I'll respect the guy who won us 10 playoff games.
HOUSEoPAIN
Buddy was a piece of shit. It's really that simple.

Aww, are you upset that Buddy is loved while all your hard work and energy into shilling for Reid has been for naught?

The media in Oregon's relationship with Chip was anything but a love affair.
Case in point

Wow, that's an interesting article - from the legendary Abe Asher, of Portland! Hey, here's another article he wrote, in
December of 2012, as it became clear Chip's time at Oregon might be over:

You're. Always. Wrong.

In your article, he writes about how he 'blew off 2 proud franchises," the Bucs and Browns. rolleyes.gif Except here's what he had to
say when he actually did it 6 months earlier:

When Kelly Chip-flopped last year and backed out of the Tampa Bay job, he wasn't sure if Mark Helfrich would get the top job with the Ducks, a promotion that is now all but assured should Kelly leave. Chip also knew that better job offers would come his way if he waited. Sure enough, better job offers will come this winter. One on hand, it's clear that it's time to leave. Kelly's stock will never be higher.

Chip Kelly is a blisteringly brilliant football coach. Every NFL team who has him at the top of their holiday wish list is making the right choice.

Want to go to Cleveland? Get ready to try and turn around a franchise riddled with losing since its inception in '97.

This joker actually seems to be against Kelly obliterating opponents in your pathetic article, citing his onside kick against Stanford, and constantly going for it on 4th down.
Except in December, this is what he thought:

Chip Kelly loves risk. We see that on every game day at Oregon with his addiction to going for it on fourth down, his gusty calls in big games - fake punt against Auburn, onside kick against Stanford - Kelly has a gamblers’ streak in him, and so it's very conceivable that Kelly is getting bored with playing three competitive games a year at Oregon, instead of the 16 he'd play in the NFL.

Of course there's much more for those who care to read. Basically, this whiny asshole is upset about something (probably
from having to live in Oregon), and wants to whine about a guy he revered. This is bottom-of-the-barrel Mickey Mouse
crap - frankly, I'm not surprised you're one of his 50 readers. You share similar personality traits and arguing styles, like hoping
others are too lazy to call you on your BS when you use unbelievably ludicrous articles from Grade F 'sportswriters' to prove your non-points.

So you're wrong...again.

I'm often faced with the dilemma of wasting time kicking your teeth in with the greatest of ease, or ignoring you and letting
it go. *sigh* The choice presents itself constantly.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 03:20 PM) *
Aww, are you upset that Buddy is loved while all your hard work and energy into shilling for Reid has been for naught?

I really don't give a shit if Eagles fans like Andy Reid. I sleep well either way. You're more than welcome to look, sound, and act ignorant. That's you're right...as an idiot.

Wow, that's an interesting article - from the legendary Abe Asher, of Portland! Hey, here's another article he wrote, in
December of 2012, as it became clear Chip's time at Oregon might be over:

As opposed to all the legendary Philly beat reporters? What's your point here? Mine is that over time, once bridges were burned, the media in Oregon turned on Chip. That's the entire point here. But you're too oblivious to even realize that.

Of course there's much more for those who care to read. Basically, this whiny asshole is upset about something (probably
from having to live in Oregon), and wants to whine about a guy he revered. This is bottom-of-the-barrel Mickey Mouse
crap - frankly, I'm not surprised you're one of his 50 readers. You share similar personality traits and arguing styles, like hoping
others are too lazy to call you on your BS when you use unbelievably ludicrous articles from Grade F 'sportswriters' to prove your non-points.

Ah yes, living in Oregon is well known to be awful. Every place can't be Jersey.

I simply grabbed an article about the topic at hand, which was pretty well documented when Chip left Oregon. He didn't get along with the media. He was considered Belichickian. You're enamored with him now, because things are going well. His schtick won't be as cute when things aren't going so smoothly.

On the other hand, I don't get my panties in a twist over a coach's post game zingers.

But you probably forgot that was even the topic we were discussing. Because you've proven time and time again that you're not very bright.
Phits
Did you read the article? The tone of the writer gives the impression that he is a jilted lover.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2013, 02:50 PM) *
As TGryn said, but you fail to recognize, Buddy's only beloved because he wasn't around long enough to piss everybody off. If Andy's stint was only 5 years, your disdain for him would be non-existent. Instead, he'd be the guy that lead us from one of the worst franchises in the NFL, to one of the best.

Buddy was a piece of shit. It's really that simple. The media in Oregon's relationship with Chip was anything but a love affair.

Case in point

So you're wrong...again.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2013, 04:40 PM) *
Did you read the article? The tone of the writer gives the impression that he is a jilted lover.

Yeah, I read it and it was stupid. But that has nothing to do with the overall context of the conversation. At first, Chip was charming and quick witted. When thinks went sour, they turned on him like jilted lovers. That's basically the entire point of this conversation.

That's why I don't get phased by coaching soundbites and coach speak. If Belichick went on a bad run, rest assured that the same thing would happen to him in New England. He's just got that "best QB of our generation" that has prohibited that from happening.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 10 2013, 01:45 PM) *
NOBODY IS REALLY sure when the exorcism took place, but somewhere on YouTube there must be a video of the purging of demons from the offices of the Philadelphia Eagles.

You can make the assumption that the devils were sent off in the direction of Cleveland or Kansas City, or some major television network named after a sly animal that preys on barnyard chickens, but the important part is that the Eagles are different.

In pro sports, any connection between fans and team is always highlighted with success, and in that area the Eagles have already surpassed the expectations of most people. And Sunday’s win over the Lions in a memorable snow epic at the Linc was another building block of unity.

You couldn’t be there, you couldn’t watch without feeling like you were part of something special.

These are not your paranoid, hide-behind-the-game-plan Philadelphia Eagles. These Philadelphia Eagles are out from behind the shadows of secrecy, and into the sunlight of a new era.

These Philadelphia Eagles really do feel like a part of the city. In the matter of less than a year, the Philadelphia Eagles have figured out that the first part of their name – PHILADELPHIA - matters as much as the second part of the name.

Much credit goes to first-year coach Chip Kelly, who ironically arrived in town with no chip on his shoulder. He arrived with a visor, a backpack, and the confidence that he knows what he’s doing.

As such, he rolls with the punches of a fan base that certainly knows how to throw a jab, and answers the questions with a smirk. Even when he loses some patience, the result is not a condescending attitude, but an irreverence that at least acknowledges the right to ask a question.

On the whole, it has been an amazing transformation. Even those who were rightfully weary of the whole Michael Vick saga must admit that Vick has played his role to perfection, settling into the background as Nick Foles takes over at quarterback.

The ugly Riley Cooper name-calling mess that smeared the preseason has dissolved into the story of Cooper becoming a primary reason the Eagles have turned their season around. It was a powder keg of a story that was disarmed by Cooper, Kelly and yes – Vick.

No matter what happens from now until the end of the season, the view from this seat is that this is just the beginning of a new passion and a new era.

The Eagles have figured out the emotional connection between a team and its fans is a two-way street.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/nuf-sai...VE1MQAzhrKLC.99

Morganti is a bit of an ass, but he hit the nail on the head with this write up.

I'll be "the guy" here. I like seeing this team win, but there's an air of improbability about it that keeps me from being committed to it all like that (at this point). But I won't rain on others' parades.

As for Chip. I will go on record he's the best thing to happen to this team in certainly the last 5 years.

I mean, he has "managed" this team to 2x the win total of last season already. This is a "house money" season that has exceeded expectations. Also, the Giants (and especially Eli) suck this season, so that's a bonus.

All I can say is "Go Eagles".
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2013, 03:40 PM) *

Man, what is it with this town and the need to find the dark side of any situation? Kelly seems like the kind of guy who strives to be the best at his profession, and in the world of College/Pro football coaching, that requires a certain measure of high self esteem. Sometimes that becomes arrogance, or can be perceived as such. What people seem to dismiss is that Chip has moved to the final plateau of his profession, the NFL, and unlike guys like Saban or Spurrier who want simply to run their own little fiefdom, I think a move back to college would be a step backward to Chip. I think he came here to build a dominant program and he is just getting started. So far he is a breath of fresh air compared to Reid, in every way, especially with how he relates to the press. He lets his coordinators and players talk to the media, and us, unlike Reid who kept most everything under wraps. Just take it for what it is, he made the Eagles relevant again, and who knows, he might actually win it all.
nephillymike
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 11:39 AM) *
I'm sorry, but this is BS. Obviously winning makes everything better, which is why it took so long for Andy's condescending
arrogance and cold style to wear on us. You can talk down to people and answer every question with 'I've got to do a better
job' as long as you're winning 11 games a year and winning playoff games. However, when you just finished 8-8 and
explain missing the playoffs in a press conference by saying 'well if you do the math, they were 9-7 and we were 8-8' you might
start to piss people off. When you're losing by 30 points in a blowout loss, and with 1 minute left use your star running back
in a simple run play to pad his carries so you can avoid some criticism about your predictable play calling, and he gets lost to
a concussion, you don't answer a question about this by coldly stating 'we were trying to win the game.'

I would say the beat writers grew to dislike him as they learned what to expect from HIM and got it, not the other way around.

Buddy Ryan never won a playoff game and only got 1 division title, yet he's revered here. That's because, as Morganti states,
he embraced the city and made us think he was one of the fans. Chip Kelly has done the exact same thing, and this team,
no longer saddled with mercenary douchebags like Babin and Aso, has won us over by playing with heart and exceeding all
expectations.

Last, don't put Missanelli and Eskin in the same sentence as Morganti. I would be ok with saying he's a valid judge on
the pulse of the town - Missanelli and Eskin are scumbags. Missanelli talked shit to David Akers and called him a girl a day
after he kicked a game-winning field goal with half his leg hanging off - and Eskin is basically a leftover of the last regime,
shilling for Reid and Banner in exchange for access. He's a sellout and an absolute disgrace, and I've never met one Philly
sports fan who doesn't wish a slow and painful death on him.

A true and great fan gives respect where it's earned, and doesn't swear fealty to someone just because Lurie gives them
a paycheck. If you want to show unconditional love for people who have none for you, go be a St. Louis Cardinals fan.

When asked about why you just let the most beloved athlete in the last 20 years go away in free agency and you say "This is Stacy Andrews Day" and then never answer questions about it, you have an entire fan base that says enough is enough.

That did it for me.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 12 2013, 07:26 PM) *
When asked about why you just let the most beloved athlete in the last 20 years go away in free agency and you say "This is Stacy Andrews Day" and then never answer questions about it, you have an entire fan base that says enough is enough.

That did it for me.

Much like many of the people around here don't think coaches in other cities make as many playcalling or time management gaffs as Reid (they do), I don't think other fan bases give much of a shit what coaches say at their press conferences.

I seriously can't believe coachspeak bothers you guys as much as it does. Frankly, I think the secretive nature of the franchise is in it's best interest.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2013, 06:41 PM) *
Much like many of the people around here don't think coaches in other cities make as many playcalling or time management gaffs as Reid (they do),

That doesn't make it acceptable.
Jax
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2013, 02:21 PM) *

Depends on your definition of liked. If like is "highest level of respect" - that's Andy. If like is "pretty cool because he was a renegade and had a bad ass defense" - that's Buddy.

And I know, before anybody flames me... Andy struggled with some things and infuriated us plenty but, if you don't have the highest amount of respect and appreciation for Reid then to me you just aren't being reasonable.

Anybody want to bet $100 on Andy's coaching record vs. Chip's (payable after Chip is done coaching the Eagles)? I'm hoping Chip's record wins out but I will bet on Andy. Any takers?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 12 2013, 06:26 PM) *

That did it for me.

That would've done it for me, if not for the fact that a month before The Walrus became the only coach ever to punch the fucking Arizona Cardinals a ticket to the Super Bowl.....

Stacy's 6 year contract, what did he serve 1 year of that? wacko.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
Yeah, I read it and it was stupid.

So you decided to base your entire idiotic point on it..... wacko.gif

But that has nothing to do with the overall context of the conversation. At first, Chip was charming and quick witted. When thinks went sour, they turned on him like
jilted lovers. That's basically the entire point of this conversation.

It has everything to do with it. This ahole writes a piece fawning over Chip, his strategies, and his brilliance in waiting for a better head coaching position. 6 months later,
he roasts him for all of those things. You were hoping nobody here actually read the article, and realized you didn't have a point. Tough luck.

That's you're right...as an idiot.

Oh, one more thing. When you're insulting someone's intelligence, you should make sure your grammar is up to the level of a 3rd grader.
TGryn
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 05:41 PM) *
Stacy's 6 year contract, what did he serve 1 year of that? wacko.gif

I think it's generally accepted now that Stacy A.'s agent did a brilliant con job on the Eagles' front office to the effect that as Shawn Andrews' brother, if signed by the Eagles he could be expected to have a moderating effect on Shawn's increasingly erratic behavior...when in fact they weren't that close. Stacy Andrews also had a torn ACL at the end of his Bengals career that he never fully recovered from.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 12 2013, 07:44 PM) *
Oh, one more thing. When you're insulting someone's intelligence, you should make sure your grammar is up to the level of a 3rd grader.

mcnabbulous
Keep me posted on how charming Chip is after the game.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 15 2013, 04:18 PM) *
Keep me posted on how charming Chip is after the game.

You miss the point. Andy was rarely "charming" or passionate, at least in a way that the general public can absorb. I hope that Chip is short with the media today. There was something missing from the team today and he should be laying into them. Hopefully we get a whiff of that.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 15 2013, 05:23 PM) *
You miss the point. Andy was rarely "charming" or passionate, at least in a way that the general public can absorb. I hope that Chip is short with the media today. There was something missing from the team today and he should be laying into them. Hopefully we get a whiff of that.

He was perfectly charming and passionate when things were going well. That's the entire point. It's when we lost that he was short and didn't provide the accountability that everyone seems to desire.
I love how "something was missing" from the team under Chip's watch. If Andy called a game where Shady had less than 10 carries, you would assuredly be putting 100% of the blame on him.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 15 2013, 04:28 PM) *
He was perfectly charming and passionate when things were going well. That's the entire point. It's when we lost that he was short and didn't provide the accountability that everyone seems to desire.

Maybe he was charming at the buffet table...I rarely saw it in public.

I love how "something was missing" from the team under Chip's watch. If Andy called a game where Shady had less than 10 carries, you would assuredly be putting 100% of the blame on him.

If Chip does the same thing after 14 years, i will concede to your point. Being that this is his first season, he gets a pass every now and then.
HOUSEoPAIN
He was perfectly charming and passionate when things were going well.

Chip was upset after the loss as he should've been - and he answered the questions honestly, passionately, and without condescending arrogance. That's why we like him. You wanted to be kept
posted.

If Andy called a game where Shady had less than 10 carries, you would assuredly be putting 100% of the blame on him.

Horrible playcalling yesterday. Especially when Asiata gets 30 carries for 51 yards.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 15 2013, 06:40 PM) *
Maybe he was charming at the buffet table...I rarely saw it in public.

laugh.gif

Somehow, I don't picture eating at the same table as Andy as being charming.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.