Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thanks Chip
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Chip Kelly
With the way the Cowboys are looking right now, I can't wait to see this run game go up against them in the final game of the season.
Zero
Run the damn ball, Chip! biggrin.gif
Kelly came here with a reputation as a quarterback-centered coach, too, but in that narrative, his quarterback had to be mobile. He had to be fast. He just had to.

And here the Eagles are at 8-5, efficient and productive and balanced on offense, with LeSean McCoy having a career season, with the lead-legged Foles running the show, and Chip Kelly hasn't just been a change from Andy Reid. He's been a change from who Chip Kelly was supposed to be.
Eyrie
Yet Kelly has been exactly who he said he'd be. He said he wanted an accurate QB who makes the right decision quickly and avoids turnovers and that he wasn't wedded to a system but to what works in a given game. Just what we're seeing.

If various commentators supposed that he would do what they thought, then more fool them for not listening.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 10 2013, 02:31 PM) *
If various commentators supposed that he would do what they thought, then more fool them for not listening.

You can't really blame them when you consider the half truths from Eagles management over the last decade.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 10 2013, 02:31 PM) *
Yet Kelly has been exactly who he said he'd be. He said he wanted an accurate QB who makes the right decision quickly and avoids turnovers and that he wasn't wedded to a system but to what works in a given game. Just what we're seeing.

He also started Vick to begin the season, if you don't recall.
nephillymike
Could you imagine Reid's game plan in that mess?

Pass, pass, pass.

Just like he did vs. Jax here that year in 40+ mph winds (a loss), just like he did at a heavy underdog Cincy game (a tie).

Man I don't miss those days.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 10 2013, 07:14 PM) *
Could you imagine Reid's game plan in that mess?

Pass, pass, pass.

Just like he did vs. Jax here that year in 40+ mph winds (a loss), just like he did at a heavy underdog Cincy game (a tie).

Man I don't miss those days.

Throwing in those conditions isn't the most ridiculous of concepts. The Lions actually had a good deal of success early in the game. Especially because defensive backs have no chance of cutting with the receivers.

In that classic tuck-rule game, Brady threw the ball 52 times.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 10 2013, 04:32 PM) *

That was after a QB competition in preseason where Vick actually won it.
Foles was close but did throw a couple of picks and Vick didn't.

IMO he played the Vick/Foles situation perfectly. Vick was a vet that had a lot of respect from his young players, and was good to start the season. When Vick was injured (something we all expected) Foles could step in and earn the team's respect, which he did, with a few bumps along the way. I doubt he scripted it that way, but he is a man who plays the odds, and all of us kind of expected Foles to take over eventually, think Kelly didn't?
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 10 2013, 09:32 PM) *

Based on the "Kelly wasn't wedded to a system but to what works" principle. As Birdwatcher says, Vick won that competition fairly and I accepted that at the time.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 11 2013, 02:55 PM) *
Based on the "Kelly wasn't wedded to a system but to what works" principle. As Birdwatcher says, Vick won that competition fairly and I accepted that at the time.

Oh, no doubt. I just think that it gave reservations to anyone who questioned the idea of Chip putting accuracy and decision making above all else.

With that said, Vick was more than adequate as our QB this year. Foles has simply been exceptional.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 11 2013, 03:14 PM) *
Oh, no doubt. I just think that it gave reservations to anyone who questioned the idea of Chip putting accuracy and decision making above all else.

With that said, Vick was more than adequate as our QB this year. Foles has simply been exceptional.

Before the season started, just after Vick was named starter, I drew the comparison to Pederson in McNabb's 1st season. Sure Vick had more potential, and a higher likliehood of injury to boot, but I always thought Chip expected to role out Foles sometime during the season, it was just a matter of when and why. It played out as well as it could have I think, Foles benefited from some extra time to learn the system. The results are amazing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.