Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: That Running Game Was Awesome
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
They stuck with it thru snow and wind and even though they weren't successful early on, they stuck with it and broke out with a record book day against the best run defense in the NFL, with perhaps the best DT tandem in the NFL and ran it downhill right at them, even though "our game" is stretch runs and cutbacks,and we only took one half of football to accumulate those yards.

That is impressive beyond all imagination when you think of it.

The biggest thing, other than the win itself, is that now we know, and everyone else in the NFL knows, that when we want to, we can either run at you downhill, run wide with cutbacks, or throw it with one of the most accurate QB's in the NFL. They can't take away the cutback and know that they're safe. Not any more!!! That just cost upcoming opposing DC's a few more extra hours of tape study!!!
Reality Fan
one of the things that I think is being overlooked is something I said in the first quarter of the game......During the kickoff I said I expected a big return or 2 because if a coverage guy slipped in the snow his gap would be wide open.....this was also true of the running game and that helped Shady immensely.

When he broke through the conditions did not allow the secondary to recover and close on him or take an angle at him....

I was more impressed with our D than Shady...hell, Polk ran for a 38 yarder....great effort by Shady but the elements may have been a good thing for him today....

neat observation....each time the O line came up to the line in the 2nd half they would clear the snow away from the area where they would plant their feet......it looked like horses kicking snow.....rarely intense group....
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 8 2013, 09:35 PM) *
one of the things that I think is being overlooked is something I said in the first quarter of the game......During the kickoff I said I expected a big return or 2 because if a coverage guy slipped in the snow his gap would be wide open.....this was also true of the running game and that helped Shady immensely.

When he broke through the conditions did not allow the secondary to recover and close on him or take an angle at him....

I was more impressed with our D than Shady...hell, Polk ran for a 38 yarder....great effort by Shady but the elements may have been a good thing for him today....

neat observation....each time the O line came up to the line in the 2nd half they would clear the snow away from the area where they would plant their feet......it looked like horses kicking snow.....rarely intense group....

There really was no excuse for those runbacks. They got out of their lanes and it cost them. Need to stay in your lane ESPECIALLY in those conditions.

And I agree, I was even more impressed with the defense. They game up 8 points...8 POINTS to a pretty great offense. I wasn't terribly scared about their defense. Other than their front 4 they've got nothing. If the weather was better, I think we'd have scored a bunch of points on them...oh wait, we still did score a bunch....
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 8 2013, 09:19 PM) *
They stuck with it thru snow and wind and even though they weren't successful early on, they stuck with it and broke out with a record book day against the best run defense in the NFL, with perhaps the best DT tandem in the NFL and ran it downhill right at them, even though "our game" is stretch runs and cutbacks,and we only took one half of football to accumulate those yards.

That is impressive beyond all imagination when you think of it.

The biggest thing, other than the win itself, is that now we know, and everyone else in the NFL knows, that when we want to, we can either run at you downhill, run wide with cutbacks, or throw it with one of the most accurate QB's in the NFL. They can't take away the cutback and know that they're safe. Not any more!!! That just cost upcoming opposing DC's a few more extra hours of tape study!!!

I'm happier than ever that we got rid of the wide-gaping-hole-9 system.
canadianeagle
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 9 2013, 06:50 AM) *
There really was no excuse for those runbacks. They got out of their lanes and it cost them. Need to stay in your lane ESPECIALLY in those conditions.

And I agree, I was even more impressed with the defense. They game up 8 points...8 POINTS to a pretty great offense. I wasn't terribly scared about their defense. Other than their front 4 they've got nothing. If the weather was better, I think we'd have scored a bunch of points on them...oh wait, we still did score a bunch....

What's even more impressive, is those 8 points came after an interception putting the lions on the 25 yard line. This defense has just gotten better and better. All this without many big names.
Rick
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Dec 9 2013, 10:33 AM) *
What's even more impressive, is those 8 points came after an interception putting the lions on the 25 yard line. This defense has just gotten better and better. All this without many big names.

Excellent point.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
AWESOME team win. O line played great, D played great, ST except for kicking to Ross, oh, yah, ST stunk. Big plays in the sandlot. I wonder how many snow balls got thrown in the stands ?

And Foles is SUCH a great kid on the microphone. 5 might learn something. Oh wait, it's too late. Great job Foles.

From Shady to Van Buren, what a heck of a terrific connection there.

Great win. Makes me want to drink more beer. Oh wait, so does waking up at the crack of noon.
TGryn
There was one run, can't find a GIF of it but it was in the NFLN highlights, where Shady made one of his high-speed juke moves that made a Detroit DB whiff on his tackle. Normally this would be just more evidence of how McCoy is so hard to tackle, but in those conditions, there's not a lot of backs who could have pulled that off without slipping himself or fumbling as he shifted around.

I would also give credit to Polk, who looked good in his opportunities late in the game. Also to Brown for what he didn't do considering the conditions, which is fumble.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Dec 9 2013, 03:44 PM) *
There was one run, can't find a GIF of it but it was in the NFLN highlights, where Shady made one of his high-speed juke moves that made a Detroit DB whiff on his tackle. Normally this would be just more evidence of how McCoy is so hard to tackle, but in those conditions, there's not a lot of backs who could have pulled that off without slipping himself or fumbling as he shifted around.

I actually just started a thread dedicated to it smile.gif

TGryn
Yep, that's the one. biggrin.gif
nephillymike
I heard when the snow melted they found #27's jock on the field!!!
samaroo
Ha!

Yeah, Shady is not human.

On NFLN this morning, they were talking about how he was making cuts he shouldn't have been able to make. Jeff Garcia said it was because Shady "runs above the ground." Thought that was pretty good!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.