Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wide-9 returns to Philly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...est_Eagles.html
On Sunday, they'll see Washburn on the Lincoln Financial Field sideline as a Detroit Lions assistant coach, playing against a defensive front that will look similar to what the Eagles used. The biggest difference between what the Lions defense and what the Eagles ran is the skill of those two defensive tackles: Nick Fairley and Ndamukong Suh. Both are Pro Bowl-caliber players who are disruptive on the interior, posing a considerable challenge for Kelce and guards Evan Mathis and Todd Herremans.
..."It's so open, because the guys are so wide," McCoy said. "The difference with this wide-nine is the two guys inside, Fairley and Suh, they kind of dominate. So it helps it out differently than a lot of wide-nines." Kelce said that the two defensive tackles are "on a different level" than most interior combinations. Kelce said the most comparable skill set to Suh was that of Arizona's Darnell Dockett, although they're used differently. Suh is more of an an upfield player and already has 51/2 sacks this season...Kelly has vivid recollections of Fairley. When Auburn beat Oregon for the national championship in January 2011, Fairley dominated Kelly's Ducks. He recorded five tackles, one sack and a forced fumble and earned the game's defensive MVP honors. Now in his third NFL season, Fairley is beginning to live up to his promise.

What's interesting is that for all the hype that Washburn, the Wide-9, and their personnel get, the Lions are only 25th in sacks this year. I heard Didinger talking about the Lions on WIP, he described them as individually talented but who play dumb/undisciplined as a team; they play much better with a lead than from behind, from what he's seen. Their defense is tied for 9th most penalties while their offense is 13th. Eagles by contrast are 30th and 15th, which is a good thing.
20dawk
It should be a good matchup regardless of what the numbers say. Such is an animal and our interior lineman have struggled particularly on the right in my eyes. Even Johnson has looked bad, granted he is a rookie. Being that they compared such to dockette, who isn't nearly as good, and that the cards put up 5 maybe more sacks the line should have its hands full. Hopefully chip n shurmur find a way to expose the wide 9 in the run game. I think this could be a bigger opportunity for brown than shady if he learns to run north and south more often than he does.

On the plus side, if they aren't getting a pass rush that's gonna give desean cooper and the TEs an advantage cause their secondary sucks in my eyes.
mcnabbulous
Does anyone have doubts that Chip will be able to exploit the wide-9?
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2013, 11:37 AM) *

No.
Phits

No doubts here.
D Rock
McCoy's gonna go off in this one.
Jax
QUOTE (20dawk @ Dec 5 2013, 10:47 AM) *
It should be a good matchup regardless of what the numbers say. Such is an animal and our interior lineman have struggled particularly on the right in my eyes. Even Johnson has looked bad, granted he is a rookie. Being that they compared such to dockette, who isn't nearly as good, and that the cards put up 5 maybe more sacks the line should have its hands full. Hopefully chip n shurmur find a way to expose the wide 9 in the run game. I think this could be a bigger opportunity for brown than shady if he learns to run north and south more often than he does.

On the plus side, if they aren't getting a pass rush that's gonna give desean cooper and the TEs an advantage cause their secondary sucks in my eyes.

Good points - agree!
Jax
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 5 2013, 03:27 PM) *
McCoy's gonna go off in this one.

Perhaps or maybe Brown can gash them a few times. Best case is they both run wild.
Chip Kelly

He'll eviscerate it.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.