Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Go ahead blitz him
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
The Cardinals blitzed on 70 percent of Nick Foles' first-half dropbacks Sunday. Foles was 10-of-14 for 138 yards and two touchdowns against the blitz.

On another note, Foles has performed better than anyone could expect so far, even if he was a 1st round pick. Yet there is this 'not enough for me yet' attitude that I am beginning to find awfully annoying. People are waiting for some stink bomb to drop, even though there is nothing there to really support that notion. This 4th quarter problem is on Chip for trying to run when they stack the box. Didn't he say that when they do that he would burn them with passes? As far as the crap about Shady doing better with Vick, does Ponder help AP get his yards? If Shady is elite then he will get his yards anyway. Finally, who the fuck lives in Chip's head to claim that Foles is not his 'kind' of QB? He is in the NFL now and damn well knows the risks running QBs face is far higher than the college game, so I don't think he would sacrifice all the other aspects of Foles game just to get a faster QB. He found a diamond in the rough and from everything he has actually said, it sounds like he loves his QB.

Anyway, deny the evidence if you like, but I think that barring a serious injury Nick will be under center for a long time to come as Chip's starter. And I am perfectly satisfied the way things are turning out.
Phits

nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 4 2013, 05:48 PM) *
The Cardinals blitzed on 70 percent of Nick Foles' first-half dropbacks Sunday. Foles was 10-of-14 for 138 yards and two touchdowns against the blitz.

On another note, Foles has performed better than anyone could expect so far, even if he was a 1st round pick. Yet there is this 'not enough for me yet' attitude that I am beginning to find awfully annoying. People are waiting for some stink bomb to drop, even though there is nothing there to really support that notion. This 4th quarter problem is on Chip for trying to run when they stack the box. Didn't he say that when they do that he would burn them with passes? As far as the crap about Shady doing better with Vick, does Ponder help AP get his yards? If Shady is elite then he will get his yards anyway. Finally, who the fuck lives in Chip's head to claim that Foles is not his 'kind' of QB? He is in the NFL now and damn well knows the risks running QBs face is far higher than the college game, so I don't think he would sacrifice all the other aspects of Foles game just to get a faster QB. He found a diamond in the rough and from everything he has actually said, it sounds like he loves his QB.

Anyway, deny the evidence if you like, but I think that barring a serious injury Nick will be under center for a long time to come as Chip's starter. And I am perfectly satisfied the way things are turning out.

Well said!!

I agree
Eyrie
I've never understood the obsession that Kelly wants a running QB when his own statements made it clear that he values decision making, accuracy and avoiding turnovers.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 5 2013, 03:14 PM) *
I've never understood the obsession that Kelly wants a running QB when his own statements made it clear that he values decision making, accuracy and avoiding turnovers.

I wasn't convinced that Chip needed a running QB, but I didn't know that Foles would work, because he's not simply a non-running QB, he's a statue.

It limits us a bit on the read-option stuff that we do now, but it's pretty irrelevant apparently.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2013, 08:14 PM) *
I wasn't convinced that Chip needed a running QB, but I didn't know that Foles would work, because he's not simply a non-running QB, he's a statue.

It limits us a bit on the read-option stuff that we do now, but it's pretty irrelevant apparently.

That's crap.

Carson Palmer is a statue. Foles moves very well within the pocket. He naturally feels pressure and steps up to avoid pressure well.

He out gained RG3 in rush yards a couple of weeks ago. He's averaging 5 yards an attempt.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 5 2013, 04:21 PM) *
That's crap.

Carson Palmer is a statue. Foles moves very well within the pocket. He naturally feels pressure and steps up to avoid pressure well.

He out gained RG3 in rush yards a couple of weeks ago. He's averaging 5 yards an attempt.

Within the pocket, he's fantastic and will continue to get better. That's where he is most Brady-esque.

I don't mean statue in the sense that he can't avoid pressure. I mean it in the sense that he ran the slowest 40 time in his draft class. The guy is the polar opposite of a running QB.

He outgained RG3 because he doesn't have Shanahan's son calling plays for him.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2013, 08:25 PM) *

laugh.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 5 2013, 02:14 PM) *

Whilst you left out Chips love of intelligence and height you are pretty much right on. I said so in the off-season and got little support. Its funny now to see all the "I was there at the beginings coming up". Same old, same old.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 6 2013, 02:21 AM) *
Whilst you left out Chips love of intelligence and height you are pretty much right on. I said so in the off-season and got little support. Its funny now to see all the "I was there at the beginings coming up". Same old, same old.

The two of us can look back on our posts at the time and say ITYS smile.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 6 2013, 02:48 PM) *
The two of us can look back on our posts at the time and say ITYS smile.gif
. That said, I have always expected a 3 year ramp up period to be normal for young QBs to hit full stride IF EVER. I am simply stunned at Foles' rate of progress and level of performance. This kid is as impressive off the field as he is on it.
Flying Dutchman
I know and highly respect some of the guys who break down the plays on ChipWagon each week. Agree or disagree, they clearly show what's going on and offer details you just don't get from the normal media. It's a good education and has steadily increased my belief in Foles.
http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2013/1...-franchise.html
Eyrie
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Dec 6 2013, 02:21 AM) *

Damnit!

How the bleep did I miss that you've expanded your vocabulary?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 5 2013, 03:25 PM) *
Within the pocket, he's fantastic and will continue to get better. That's where he is most Brady-esque.

I don't mean statue in the sense that he can't avoid pressure. I mean it in the sense that he ran the slowest 40 time in his draft class. The guy is the polar opposite of a running QB.

I disagree on this for the simple reason that they have acknowledged his ability to improve this aspect with hard work and he put it in....

He will never be confused with Steve Young but he is far more mobile than a Brady or a Manning.....

But I do agree on RG3's coaching anchor.......it is like the little league team where the coach's son plays even though he sucks......
Birdwatcher
Jesus, I posted this looking at the stats from just one game, look at the season numbers...

* Foles owns the league's top passer rating against the blitz. He has a 126.3 rating when opponents have sent extra rushers after him, completing 61.7 percent of his attempts, averaging 9.5 yards per attempt and throwing eight TDs and no interceptions. The Saints' Drew Brees is second at 113.0, followed by the Titans' Ryan Fitzpatrick (104.6) and the 49ers' Colin Kaepernick (103.9). Foles also leads the league in third-down passing with a 112.5 rating. He has a 121.1 rating in the red zone that includes a .688 completion percentage, 13 TDs and no interceptions.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...1ILE1kojKpma.99

This is franchise QB numbers if I ever saw any.
Eyrie
I think part of that is down to the system, with receivers spread out along the line of scrimmage which means that there has to be single coverage when extra defenders are sent after the QB, and part of it is down to Foles recognising where his hot read is and getting the ball there quickly and accurately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.