Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I still don't think we're a 'very good' team
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
But we're better than I thought we would be. And we're better than a lot of mediocre teams. Arizona is pretty mediocre, but I thought that defense played well.

Eyrie
Best thing is that the defence may be playing OK but will get better as the players adapt to the 3-4 and better suited players are brought in for next season.

Our offense is closer to being ready but needs to decide if it wants to run out the clock or move the ball when defending a lead.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 09:18 AM) *
Arizona is pretty mediocre, but I thought that defense played well.

Us and Arizona are tied for the 10th best record in the NFL. By definition that's well above mediocre. We're not in the same class as the 4 powerhouse teams, but from the looks of it we can hang with almost anyone right now.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 2 2013, 09:57 AM) *
Us and Arizona are tied for the 10th best record in the NFL. By definition that's well above mediocre. We're not in the same class as the 4 powerhouse teams, but from the looks of it we can hang with almost anyone right now.

Agreed. The Cardinals are a very good defense and a mediocre offense. I'd put them in the good category.

We are playing like a good team right now. Everyone is beatable in the NFC this year.

Yesterday was our best win of the year and we were dominating. Once we figure out how to harness that end of the game stuff, our victories will look much more impressive. That's two weeks in a row we had significant leads late in games. That's nothing to take lightly.
xsv
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Dec 2 2013, 09:57 AM) *

I don't think using strictly the records is the only way to define mediocre, but if we use that alone, there are actually 13 teams that have a equal or better record than we do. I think that's still pretty mediocre.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 10:21 AM) *
I don't think using strictly the records is the only way to define mediocre, but if we use that alone, there are actually 13 teams that have a equal or better record than we do. I think that's still pretty mediocre.

Our record is based on early season struggles with a different QB. The team that has been playing the past several weeks is better than that.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 2 2013, 10:25 AM) *
Our record is based on early season struggles with a different QB. The team that has been playing the past several weeks is better than that.

Which is one reason why I said that I don't like to strictly use the record.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 10:32 AM) *
Which is one reason why I said that I don't like to strictly use the record.

Right - so our record indicates that we're about 13th in the league. Which is fairly mediocre. But we're playing better than that. So we're better than mediocre, which would be good.

Our defense has been the highlight for me. Sure, we've gone conservative and let teams back in it (much like our problems on offense) but they have been pretty damn good when putting on the heat.
CT_Eagle
I look at the Eagles as an average team. They have to learn to close out games after building a lead. I love where the Eagles are right now. They have already exceeded my expectations. They have the Lions this week, followed by the Bears. Both games will be a challenge for the Eagles. Win those games and I may have to move this team up to "better than average". The Eagles still control their own destiny and I am really looking forward to how this team finishes this season.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 2 2013, 10:34 AM) *
Right - so our record indicates that we're about 13th in the league. Which is fairly mediocre. But we're playing better than that. So we're better than mediocre, which would be good.

Our defense has been the highlight for me. Sure, we've gone conservative and let teams back in it (much like our problems on offense) but they have been pretty damn good when putting on the heat.

Except that 6 of our 7 wins have come against well below mediocre teams, and a few of those gave us late game scares.

I think we're headed in the right direction, but are still pretty mediocre. The defense seems to be getting better every week, which is encouraging. And the offense seems to be able to pour it on when running up tempo stuff, but is hit or miss when they are not.

I don't think we beat the Lions next week, but we should be able to beat both Chicago and Minnesota. That should put us right in the thick of things going into the last week.

Much, much better than I had dared hope for.

Jax
We aren't yet a "very good" team. I think we are somewhere between above average and pretty good.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
What does it matter "what" you refer to us as, I'm just darned glad we're so friggen competitive when going up against those in OUR schedule. Each win is a big plus as far as I'm concerned. And there's EXCITEMENT in the air once again.

Fact is, the next game is the ONLY game that matters, and in that ONE we're going up against a Divisional leader, one with a winning record, and it's in OUR HOUSE !!!

Not long ago I couldn't even IMAGINE being pumped for ANY game let alone the very NEXT one which, by the way, just happens to be ANOTHER IMPORTANT game. When's the last season we were this far into the schedule knowing we have SOMETHING TO PLAY FOR ? And EVERYTHING to play for and NOTHING to lose ?

AND ... we have this "out of nowhere" Napoleon Dynamite look alike lighting up the joint and guys like Cooper, Ertz, Brown and other "unexpected" diamonds playing their guts out helping us along the way.

You don't think this is a good team? I got news for you. You're nutz, looking at the "who gives a shit' part of what the hell's going on out there. Eaglesland is ablaze with interest and FUN !!!! NUFF SAID ...
Rick
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 10:41 AM) *
Except that 6 of our 7 wins have come against well below mediocre teams, and a few of those gave us late game scares.

Right, but they did beat those teams....teams they were SUPPOSED to beat. you can't penalize a team for doing what it's supposed to do. Now, they just beat a very good AZ team which tends to give us fits over the years. Yet that isn't good enough for some.

I'm about the most pessimistic Eagles' fan I know but I really don't understand people sometimes. At the end of the day, they are 7-5 right now and WAY better than MOST people (myself included) ever though they'd be. Nobody is claiming this is a SB team by any stretch, however, they are a much better team than most in the NFL at this point. If they make it into the playoffs, they have the kind of team which may be able to make some noise.

Would I bet on them to beat Seattle or the Saints right now? Nope. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this team were to beat these teams if they played them. The offense can play with anyone and the defense is proving to be better than capable the last few weeks.

The Eagles are a good team right now, not GREAT but good.
Phits
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 10:41 AM) *

The fact that we are playing with the lead (and usually a substantial lead), is an indication that things are pointed in the right direction. The saying is that the difference between a good/bad team is that good teams win the close games. By all rights, we shouldn't be blowing out teams. Our defense is mediocre-good (but getting better). However, they are very opportunistic and fundamentally sound and are helping to win games.

I don't think we beat the Lions next week.

There's nothing about Detroit that scares me. They are a 1 trick pony. Their QB is a turnover machine.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 2 2013, 01:09 PM) *
There's nothing about Detroit that scares me. They are a 1 trick pony. Their QB is a turnover machine.

Detroit definitely has some offensive weapons that scare me, but I think we are a better team. Chip is a superior coach and, like you said, Stafford is turnover prone.

If our defense shows up, we should win the game at home, outdoors, in the elements.
D Rock
They are 2 games above .500

That's pretty much on the high end of average.

All this cherry picking of your data set is plumb silly and pointless. You can't and don't get to throw out the first quarter of the season. You never could. It helps to define who you are.

Don't make me quote Dennis Green and Bill Parcels on this. You all know it.

Most predicted our team would be top 5-10 on offense and bottom 5-10 on defense and about a .500 team.

Our special teams have over achieved a bit and the defense has been a slightly pleasant surprise and we're currently 2 games above .500 or . . . slightly above average.

The needle can (and will) move either way this final quarter. If we win out? We can say they were good. If we end .500? Then they'll have been mediocre.

None of the words can change the reality of the situation.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 2 2013, 12:37 PM) *
You can't and don't get to throw out the first quarter of the season. You never could. It helps to define who you are.

Don't make me quote Dennis Green and Bill Parcels on this. You all know it.

The only reason I disagree is because of the change at the most important of positions. The 2001 Patriots were much more the team that reeled off 9 straight wins to end the season than the team that started 0-2.

I think we're much more like the team that has won 5 of Foles 6 starts than the team that lost 4 of Vick's 6 starts.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 2 2013, 06:03 PM) *
The only reason I disagree is because of the change at the most important of positions. The 2001 Patriots were much more the team that reeled off 9 straight wins to end the season than the team that started 0-2.

I think we're much more like the team that has won 5 of Foles 6 starts than the team that lost 4 of Vick's 6 starts.

I get from where you're coming, but what you or I think on the matter doesn't change our record or post season seed at the season's end. Reality is still the reality regardless of the changes to which you're referring.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 2 2013, 09:18 AM) *
But we're better than I thought we would be. And we're better than a lot of mediocre teams. Arizona is pretty mediocre, but I thought that defense played well.

I agree. I think Arizona is better than you're giving them credit for being, though. They have the kind of DBs I really wish the Eagles had.

Even if the Eagles miss the playoffs, managing this team to a winning record after the crapfest that was last season is a win in my book.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.