Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Officiating
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I think the officiating the past couple of years has been more suspect than it used to be. Maybe that's due to the quality of replay that shows inevitable human error, I don't know. I haven't been able to find a clip of the final Card's penalty, but to me it was obviously a hold. I've read a couple of different reports saying it was a bogus call, this one, one from Newark, NJ and another but I just don't agree. As to this article, both sides were victimized by erratic officiating and there were more than one ticky-tack calls against both teams.
Let’s all agree on a fundamental point: The Cardinals were victimized by erratic officiating in the late stages of a 24-21 loss to the Eagles on Sunday. There were two ticky-tack flags and two pivotal non-calls in the final four minutes. All directly impacted the outcome of the game, and all went in favor of the home team.

Let’s also agree on this: from Al McCoy to Joe Six Pack, we have a long history of blaming officials in Arizona. As sports fans, we often carry a persecution complex, sometimes to the point of delusion.

But this seemed really bad. The hypersensitive holding call against Tyrann Mathieu negated a Patrick Peterson interception that might’ve led to a game-tying or game-winning score. That flag was also a stark contrast to the ensuing non-calls against Michael Floyd, who appeared to absorb far more illegal contact on the Cardinals’ final possession of the game.

Finally, the holding penalty against Matt Shaughnessy iced the game for the Eagles, almost leading Daryl Washington to a conniption fit on the field.

Linc ...

I'm an admitted homer, but I don't agree that the officiating this year has been one-sided, either intentionally or otherwise.
Eyrie
There were a number of non-calls yesterday, particularly on deep throws, but the refs were consistent so neither team can complain.

If the Cardinals are unhappy about the Mathieu one being flagged, then they should remember that another penalty cost us seven points.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 2 2013, 08:36 AM) *
Maybe that's due to the quality of replay that shows inevitable human error, I don't know.

Refs have always sucked (or always been great depending on the day), it's the quality of replay, and the fact that so goddam many plays get reviewed nowadays. Besides challenges, and besides standard instant replays, all scoring plays and turnovers get officially reviewed. It'll only get worse.
mcnabbulous
Both teams had calls and non calls go their way. The Cardinals calls are just highlighted because they came at more crucial moments.

The holding call on Mathieu impacted what should have been a terrible interception by Foles, but it's not as though the flag was thrown after the pick. He clearly grabbed Avant right in front of the back judge.

The hold on Casey ended the game, but it was an obvious hold. The play was designed to go to him and they made it impossible.

They arguably could have gotten the flag on that 3rd and 5 play, but it didn't end the game. They had 4 opportunities to pick up a first down and couldn't do it.

If Cardinals fans are bitching about the refs, they should take a hard look at the fact that we were up 24-7 after the first drive in the 3rd quarter. Our offense was dominating. The fact that Chip hasn't learned the nuances of running down the clock shouldn't negate the fact that we were the much better team yesterday.
make_it_rain
I think the biggest grip with the officials was the inconsistency, and the eagles pretty clearly seemed to benefit from it at critical times.

I don't think the holding call on Matthieu was that bad, but up until that point the refs had mostly been letting them play, so to suddenly decide to call that on an influential play was huge. I'm fine with them calling that (obviously) but if they're going to call it I think they probably should have flagged Fletch on the 4th down play to stay consistent.

That's about it though. I thought the holding penalty late when Casey got held up was OK, if he isn't held there Casey gets open into the flat and Foles has a great shot at a first down and icing the game.

Even with those inconsistencies, it shouldn't overshadow the 3 turnovers the defense created and the fact that Foles moved the ball really well for 3 quarters and built up a 17 point lead. Even if they flagged Fletcher on 4th down they would have still had to complete the drive, and even if the late defensive holding penalty isn't called the Eagles likely kick a field goal and then Palmer still needs to drive for a touchdown with no timeouts.

Thats the way it goes. Sometimes you're on the good side of those calls, sometimes youre not. Fortunate that it worked in our favor today.
Rick
Over the years, the Eagles have been the recipient of some bad calls..just like every other NFL team.

The AZ offensive line was holding our guys all day. A few were called, many were not. Welcome to the NFL.

The officials are human and will make mistakes, miss calls, blow other calls, etc. As someone said, the Eagles were up 24-7. If the Cards had played better earlier, the call or non-call would have been irrelevant.

One call/play doesn't win/lose a game.
D Rock
This wouldn't have even been a game if the officials didn't swallow the hanky on the first AZ TD to LFitz. Kendricks was being pulled down from TWO O linemen from behind while blitzing the A Gap in one of the most blatant offensive holding no calls I've ever seen.

They missed calls both ways.

Sure, a couple went our way late. But a couple went their way early giving them 7 and taking another 7 away from us.

Call me a homer, but that first TD to LFitz should have been called back.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 2 2013, 03:25 PM) *
This wouldn't have even been a game if the officials didn't swallow the hanky on the first AZ TD to LFitz. Kendricks was being pulled down from TWO O linemen from behind while blitzing the A Gap in one of the most blatant offensive holding no calls I've ever seen.

They missed calls both ways.

Sure, a couple went our way late. But a couple went their way early giving them 7 and taking another 7 away from us.

Call me a homer, but that first TD to LFitz should have been called back.

Nope, I saw the same thing. We all saw it where we were watching it and all called for holding before Palmer even threw the ball.
Zero
“There were obviously problems in the ballgame,” said head coach Bruce Arians. “There are protocol to follow. We followed the protocol. We sent the tapes into the league office. [Vice President of Officiating] Dean Blandino does a great job as far as being honest on the calls, and we’ll follow up more…on what will be done and can be done later, but that’s all I’ll say about the officiating in that ballgame. The proper channels have been followed, and there were obviously very many problems.”

Arians noted that the Cards submitted about 15 plays for review.
Link ...
Unfuckingbelievable, 15 whines???
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 2 2013, 08:10 PM) *
Link ...
Unfuckingbelievable, 15 whines???

That's nothing new. Coaches are expected to submit their claims for review.
samaroo
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Dec 2 2013, 12:05 PM) *
I think the biggest grip with the officials was the inconsistency

This right here. The whole first half had the WR's and DB's in gladiatorial combat on every deep pass, with no flags. If that's the way they're going to call it (or not call it), that's fine, as long as it stays that way the entire game.

It would be like an umpire suddenly changing the strike zone in the 6th inning. Call it or don't, just keep it consistent.

Speaking of bad officiating, the end of the Was-NY game was an utter travesty. I can't believe that happened in an NFL game. I'm not gonna argue that it cost the Skins the game, but it was terrible nonetheless. Absolutely terrible.
Zero
I like the approach Kelly and Davis take:
Cardinals coach Bruce Arians went on a radio show and again complained about officiating. He’s highly frustrated by the inconsistency of calls and how different crews call games.

Compare that to how Chip Kelly and Bill Davis deal with officials. They don’t publicly complain. Kelly loves to say “That’s the call they made so it must be the right call.”

Davis admits that different crews calls games in different ways. He talked at his press conference about how he tells his players to adjust to the officials. “If they’re letting you play, do it. If they’re calling it tight, back off with the contact.” Davis isn’t complaining at all. You simply adjust.

Here ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.