Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't say that I liked the way
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Made a few boneheaded plays. And got away with one.

Still had a great game overall, but I wanted more from him in the 4th.
SpudDogg
I blame play calling more than Foles for the 4th quarter play for the last 2 weeks especially.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SpudDogg @ Dec 1 2013, 04:16 PM) *
I blame play calling more than Foles for the 4th quarter play for the last 2 weeks especially.

I agree with this for the most part. That pic he threw was awful, playcalling or not.
JeeQ
During our last two games it appears we take our foot completely off the gas when we decide to go "conservative". This reminds me of Andy Ball; therefore I naturally hate it. I know typical NFL rules tell you to start burning the clock down once you have a lead in the second half but Chip, fuck that noise! Drop 50 points on them, destroy them mentally, and "then" play conservatively. Think "Oakland Raiders". Yes they racked up some garbage points at the end, but by then it didn't matter.
samaroo
Our "conservative" offense seems to be the worst of both worlds. We take our foot off the gas, but also don't take time off the clock. Quick run, quick run, obvious pass, punt...with 40 seconds run offthe clock. Either play for time or go all out! This half-ass stuff needs to stop.

But I'll take the win. We needed that. I thought we were gonna get Fitzgeralded again.
JeeQ
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 1 2013, 01:38 PM) *
Our "conservative" offense seems to be the worst of both worlds. We take our foot off the gas, but also don't take time off the clock. Quick run, quick run, obvious pass, punt...with 40 seconds run offthe clock. Either play for time or go all out! This half-ass stuff needs to stop.

But I'll take the win. We needed that. I thought we were gonna get Fitzgeralded again.

It's funny because it's true laugh.gif
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 1 2013, 04:38 PM) *

Good point. If you are gonna shift to the running game, at least milk the clock along with it.
mcnabbulous
I think Tommy Lawlor sums it up perfectly:

Obviously the hot topic will be the offense shutting down in the 2nd half…again.

Here’s the most simplistic explanation I can give you. Late in games, defenses are daring the Eagles to throw. Kelly will spread them out, but defenses will keep 7 in the box. With only 5 blockers, that’s not a winning formula. Defenses are single-covering on the outside and daring the Eagles to throw the ball.

Kelly has 2 choices. He can go to a more conventional set and load up on TEs and use Casey as a FB and then pound the ball. Or he can throw it. Spreading them out and running against a 7-man box isn’t working.

Link
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 1 2013, 04:38 PM) *

Not really, they stood at the line an awful lot letting the play clock wind down, which is what I think is the problem. It just gives the D time to catch their brath and make sure they are ready, fast and furious works better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 1 2013, 07:03 PM) *
Not really, they stood at the line an awful lot letting the play clock wind down, which is what I think is the problem. It just gives the D time to catch their brath and make sure they are ready, fast and furious works better.

The problem is that we get away from playing the numbers. Chips entire system is based on taking advantage of statistical mismatches. Late in the game, we are running directly into the heart of defenses stacking the box.
samaroo
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 1 2013, 07:03 PM) *

They stood at the line quick, took a few seconds to get the play, and snapped the ball with 18 seconds left on the play clock.

Like i said above, either go for the throat or run down the clock. Not neither.
bwc2112
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 1 2013, 06:16 PM) *
The problem is that we get away from playing the numbers. Chips entire system is based on taking advantage of statistical mismatches. Late in the game, we are running directly into the heart of defenses stacking the box.

My hula hoop girl every half time.
The other teams Defense will retreat back to the locker room.
Pobody nood be arble to see rit after tat one.
Phits
I can't say that I like Foles goofy look, then again who gives a rat's a$$....winning is all that matters. Sometimes it's not pretty, but in a playoff push all that matters is the outcome.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 1 2013, 11:16 PM) *

Yup.

Building an entire system on a singular principal, then forgetting about it once you get a big lead is alarmingly curious. Hopefully just a rookie coach thing?

On the other hand, it's worked to perfection twice and has YET to cost us a win.
Rick
I've really (for the most part) liked everything I've been seeing with this team...except for the offense shitting the bed every 4th quarter. The play calling has been horrible in the 4th (and end of the 3rd) quarter. That friggin STUPID play call on the goal line was ridiculous. Take the hands out of someone who has been downright deadly in the red zone. That killed that drive and made us settle for 3 instead of punching it in for 6. Yes, anything could have happened but I'd prefer Foles handle that then try some stupid trick play at the point.

This seems to be the one thing Kelly has NOT learned this year. This all started against the Redskins the FIRST time we played them. Here we are after 12 games and he's still doing the same thing. That is a little concerning.

For now, I'll just enjoy the win.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 1 2013, 04:15 PM) *
Made a few boneheaded plays. And got away with one.

Still had a great game overall, but I wanted more from him in the 4th.

I agree, but Chip's play calling was just as bad. Why is he running on 3rd and long plays? LeSean McCoy is a great RB but not (always) "10 yards a carry" good.

Maybe 24 points is enough to win when the defense is playing like that. Even with 3 blunders from Patrick DUNG (when is Earl Wolff coming back?)
samaroo
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 2 2013, 03:46 AM) *
Yup.

Building an entire system on a singular principal, then forgetting about it once you get a big lead is alarmingly curious. Hopefully just a rookie coach thing?

On the other hand, it's worked to perfection twice and has YET to cost us a win.

It's worked so far. I don't know that I'd call it perfection. This is the NFL, run that score up! They're all professionals, there shouldn't be any whining. I wanna see more of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qDWxTsl4rI
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.