Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Forget about Dallas the last week of the season
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Essentially, this weeks game is a playoff game for us.

If we win, we solidify our chances at not only the division title, but also on a wildcard should be fall short of the division. A win would jump us ahead of Arizona, Detroit and Chicago in the race for the second wildcard spot (Carolina has the 1st wildcard practically locked up)

Should we lose, however, our chances for the wildcard evaporate, and we'd need a extra Dallas loss somewhere long the way to stay in the hunt for the division.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 25 2013, 10:50 AM) *

If we win, we solidify our chances at not only the division title, but also on a wildcard should be fall short of the division. A win would jump us ahead of Arizona, Detroit and Chicago in the race for the second wildcard spot (Carolina has the 1st wildcard practically locked up)

Should we lose, however, our chances for the wildcard evaporate, and we'd need a extra Dallas loss somewhere long the way to stay in the hunt for the division.

Yeah, this is the biggest game since the Cowboys game. The Cardinals are a legit opponent with a very solid defense.

I'm hoping it's cooooold in Philly next weekend.
make_it_rain
Since Dallas currently owns the first two tiebreaks over the eagles, does anyone know how the third tiebreak (common games) currently breaks down, or who it favors down the stretch?

Obviously the head to head tiebreak is a bit of a wash, as we can mitigate that with a win in week 17, and with a loss then clearly all other tiebreaks are irrelevant.

So then it turns to division games, which suddenly makes the Dallas @ Washington game critical, as if Dallas wins they would officially own that tiebreak as well (Dallas would go to 5-0 on the division and the best the eagles could get to would be 4-2). The Skins are garbage, but they always seem to play Dallas tough, so maybe theres a ray of hope there?

But yeah, regardless, Sunday could shape up to be a defacto playoff game. Yay playoffs!
Wheeljack
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 25 2013, 09:50 AM) *

just for added "don't you try it, VaGiants" insurance (I know losing to Dallas lessens that chance) but I'm all for the Eagles trying their best to win out at this point. No NFC game can be overlooked. No game, period.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 25 2013, 07:40 PM) *
just for added "don't you try it, VaGiants" insurance (I know losing to Dallas lessens that chance) but I'm all for the Eagles trying their best to win out at this point. No NFC game can be overlooked. No game, period.

Unlikely, but do-able and makes every other scenario irrelevant so count me in.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I think thiso next game is gonna be critical to our "momentum" and I don't take this game LIGHTLY at all. It's only Monday and ALREADY I need a shot of liquid courage !!!!

One thing I hope for. I hope they don't wear those fugly all reds of theirs. Makes me want to puke all over my pizza.
Dreagon
Good luck against the Cards. They are one of our jinx teams too, so I know what ya'll are up against.

Yeah, the Dallas-Wash game is now big. I hate big games in December, especially up north and outdoors.

And one other good point was made....a strong finish could still put a team in this division within reach of a wild card.
Rick
It's big on many levels. They need this game to prove they can beat a good team. Would really boost confidence and be a nice springboard to the final stretch of the season.
Jax
If we can have two weeks to prepare for a mediocre team coming cross country and lose then we are clearly not good enough to do anything in the playoffs.
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 25 2013, 06:46 PM) *
If we can have two weeks to prepare for a mediocre team coming cross country and lose then we are clearly not good enough to do anything in the playoffs.

Yeah but it's the Cards. I've said it many times but they always seem to find a way to beat us (all the way back to when they were HORRIBLE and in the NFC East--always good for beating us at least once a season).

And I don't see them as a mediocre team. They are actually not that bad. Not an elite team but better than the pack of bad teams. Hopefully, we'll find out if which group we're in soon.
Jax
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 25 2013, 07:27 PM) *
Yeah but it's the Cards. I've said it many times but they always seem to find a way to beat us (all the way back to when they were HORRIBLE and in the NFC East--always good for beating us at least once a season).

And I don't see them as a mediocre team. They are actually not that bad. Not an elite team but better than the pack of bad teams. Hopefully, we'll find out if which group we're in soon.

They do give us trouble and that is worrisome. They are better than the bad and not as good as the good. So, to me, that's mediocre. Yes, we will find out a bit more about which group we are in from this game.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 25 2013, 06:46 PM) *

Why do you think the Cardinals are a mediocre team? They have arguably one of the best defenses in football. In fact, they're currently ranked first by Football Outsiders. They are one of the few teams that can match up athletically with our offense.

We need our defense to step up. They are on a 4-game winning streak and Carson Palmer has thrown for 8 TD's and only 2 picks over that stretch.

They're a good team.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.