Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Chip I believe....
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
According to Igglesblitz:

* The Eagles are the only team in the league to hold the last 7 opponents to 21 points or less. In that stretch, teams are averaging just 17.4 points per game.
* The Eagles lead the league in plays of 20 yards or more. They had 61 heading into Sunday. The next closest team had 45. That’s a huge discrepancy.
* Nick Foles leads the NFL in QB rating and LeSean McCoy is the league’s leading rusher.
* DeSean Jackson is 3rd in the league in receiving yards. He does lead the league in receptions of 20 or more yards.
* The Eagles are 6th in the NFL in Red Zone defense. They’ve only allowed 2 TDs in the last 12 RZ trips by opponents.
* The Eagles have 9 games with 400 or more yards. The only NFL team to have more (10) in the first 11 games is the 2007 Patriots. That also happens to be the highest scoring offense in NFL history.
* The Eagles are only the 8th team in NFL history with 2,800 yards passing and 1,600 yards rushing after 11 games.

This Chip Kelly offense is better than advertised.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 19 2013, 12:16 PM) *
* The Eagles lead the league in plays of 20 yards or more. They had 61 heading into Sunday. The next closest team had 45. That’s a huge discrepancy.

This is the one that blows me away. I think we are at 67 after this past week's game. Unbelievable.
JeeQ
Been saying it since before we signed him, Chip will bring us a Super Bowl. All he does is win
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 19 2013, 01:56 PM) *
Been saying it since before we signed him, Chip will bring us a Super Bowl. All he does is win

I really am a Chip fan and believer, but what has he exactly won? A Rose Bowl?
Phits
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 19 2013, 02:38 PM) *

He's won over the Eagles fan base ... that's tough to do
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 19 2013, 02:38 PM) *
I really am a Chip fan and believer, but what has he exactly won?

As many championships as any coach here has won in 53 years. After being jaded for years, most Eagles fans finally believe we have a shot in the near future.
JeeQ
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 19 2013, 11:38 AM) *

Well... since you asked...

Chip Kelly led Oregon football to new territory after taking over as head coach in 2009. He coached the University of Oregon to BCS games in each of his four seasons as head coach; the 2010 Rose Bowl, 2011 BCS National Championship Game, 2012 Rose Bowl, and 2013 Fiesta Bowl. He coached Oregon to three consecutive outright conference championships from 2009-2011 and a conference division title in 2012. Oregon won its second consecutive BCS bowl game after they defeated #5 Kansas State in the 2013 Fiesta Bowl.

He was named the 2009 and 2010 Pac-10 Coach of the Year, 2010 Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year, 2010 Walter Camp Coach of the Year, 2010 Sporting News Coach of the Year, 2010 AFCA Coach of the Year Award and 2010 Associated Press Coach of the Year.

He's never had a losing season. He's never had a season where he didn't go to a Championship game. All he does is win
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 19 2013, 04:24 PM) *

He's never had a losing season. He's never had a season where he didn't go to a Championship game. All he does is win

But when someone says, "All he does is win," that would imply championships...something Chip never did in Oregon.

Do I believe he will bring a SB to Philly? No. Not because I see anything wrong with him but because nobody has done so yet. I've been let down many times in the past and I'm not going to let it happen now.

With that said, I live down in FL where college football rules. Whenever someone down here learns I'm an Eagles' fan--something which is easy to figure out--they ALWAYS say, "That offense won't work in the NFL. The QB takes too many hits. Defenses are too fast." It's obvious they've never watched the Eagles this season. This isn't a typical college option offense. Our QB isn't taking the hits because it's not designed for him to hold onto the ball long enough to get hit.

I must say, I really do like the offense. I've always wondered why teams don't pick up the pace in the NFL on offense. Look at the Patriots who hurry up on offense at times. Other than that, there are a few teams who run no-huddle but not a hurry-up offense. It wears down a defense (as we've seen repeatedly this season). If you get your own defense in shape to be able to play more--something teams should do anyway--you can see the defense can still be fresh enough late in the game to make a play.

Problem is, as everyone knows, it's a copycat league. So we have a short window of opportunity to do this. Eventually, if this keeps working, everyone will do it and we won't have the same advantage.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 19 2013, 04:24 PM) *

We had a coach who brought us to a lot of Championships and was run out of town.

I firmly believe that Chip is very smart and will put us in a position to win. The in season turnaround of the defense alone has been incredible....but to say "all he does is win" is a bit misleading. Oregon only played 2-3 games a year where the opposing team had comparable talent on the field, and they always found a way to lose at least one. Again I am very excited, but let's not pretend that Chip has the college resume of Nick Saban either.
Rick
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 19 2013, 07:07 PM) *
We had a coach who brought us to a lot of Championships and was run out of town.

We did? Not sure whom that might be, I don't remember any championships here. Last one was before I was born.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 19 2013, 08:10 PM) *
We did? Not sure whom that might be, I don't remember any championships here. Last one was before I was born.

Championship games. You seem to think that means something and in the Pac 12 it does not.
nephillymike
Chip has been great.

The way he handles things is impressive.

He is very comfortable in his own skin and exudes the confidence and flexibility necessary to succeed.

Not once have I, as a fan, been insulted listening to him.

He answers questions in a way that doesn't insult us.

You ask a question, he gives you an answer.

He's good thinking quickly and comes across really well.

The on field product on the offensive side is very impressive. On defense., it's coming around.

And it rubs off on his coaching staff. Shurmer, Davis and even Roseman all come across as likeable.

I hated listening to Andy Reid and Joe Banner and Marty Morningweg and Jim Washburn. Hated it with a passion.
D Rock
No doubt a different vibe. Totally night and day.
Rick
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 19 2013, 10:42 PM) *
Championship games. You seem to think that means something and in the Pac 12 it does not.

Huh? What the hell are you talking about? You said, "We had a coach who brought us to a lot of Championships and was run out of town." I (basically) asked you whom you were referring to since we have no championships in Philly since the 1950s (for the Eagles obviously).

Not sure what your response is about.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 20 2013, 06:49 AM) *
Huh? What the hell are you talking about? You said, "We had a coach who brought us to a lot of Championships and was run out of town." I (basically) asked you whom you were referring to since we have no championships in Philly since the 1950s (for the Eagles obviously).

Not sure what your response is about.

It was a typo, I left out the word games. He brought us to a lot of Championship games and was run out of town.

I assumed your response was sarcastic but now I am not so sure.
Rick
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 20 2013, 08:16 AM) *
It was a typo, I left out the word games. He brought us to a lot of Championship games and was run out of town.

I assumed your response was sarcastic but now I am not so sure.

Well, making it to an NFC championship game is great and all but, if you constantly make it, and don't win, well, things need to be re-evaluated. Sure, he won it once but, at the end of the day, the goal is to win a Superbowl, not an NFC Championship.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 20 2013, 10:39 AM) *
Well, making it to an NFC championship game is great and all but, if you constantly make it, and don't win, well, things need to be re-evaluated. Sure, he won it once but, at the end of the day, the goal is to win a Superbowl, not an NFC Championship.

Then it sounds like we agree 100%. The same exact can be said for Chip at Oregon which was my original point. A Rose Bowl and a Fiesta win is nice, but those Oregon teams had the top tier talent to win it all.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 20 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Then it sounds like we agree 100%. The same exact can be said for Chip at Oregon which was my original point. A Rose Bowl and a Fiesta win is nice, but those Oregon teams had the top tier talent to win it all.

You're trying to rationalize with people that think that we have no excuse for not winning 3 championships in the early 2000's. It's a fruitless effort.

Obviously your point is valid. If you make an irrational argument that someone is incapable of winning a championship until they win a championship, then Chip is incapable of winning a championship. In his only championship appearance, he lost. In his biggest conference game last year, he lost. None of that has any impact on his capacity to win a championship in Philly.

All of the things that people love about Chip now will be thrown out the door if we start losing. It's the nature of the beast.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 20 2013, 01:45 PM) *
You're trying to rationalize with people that think that we have no excuse for not winning 3 championships in the early 2000's. It's a fruitless effort.

Obviously your point is valid. If you make an irrational argument that someone is incapable of winning a championship until they win a championship, then Chip is incapable of winning a championship. In his only championship appearance, he lost. In his biggest conference game last year, he lost. None of that has any impact on his capacity to win a championship in Philly.

All of the things that people love about Chip now will be thrown out the door if we start losing. It's the nature of the beast.

That you for providing sanity to the discussion.
Rick
Obviously, someone can't win a championship until they actually do. What I've said is I don't believe he won't win a championship in Philly not because I don't believe he's capable, rather, because of past history of everyone before him here in Philly and I don't want to get my hopes up. Basically, I don't know whether he can (or can't) win a championship. If he doesn't, it doesn't mean he'd be a failure (just because of that), there are a LOT of decent NFL coaches who have never won a championship (a few really good ones, too).

Basically, I'm pulling for him to do so (win one) like I would anyone else coaching them but I don't have any extra faith that he will. Time will tell.
Rick

Yes, we do seem to be on the same page. smile.gif
Flying Dutchman

Many of the reviews I read maintained that Chip did not get Top Tier talent at Oregon. He suffered badly competing with the big names of CFB. Oregon did not offer the pedigree and top profile of the Alabamas, Floridas, Ohio States etc.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 20 2013, 09:11 PM) *
Many of the reviews I read maintained that Chip did not get Top Tier talent at Oregon. He suffered badly competing with the big names of CFB. Oregon did not offer the pedigree and top profile of the Alabamas, Floridas, Ohio States etc.

I am not sure how to evaluate that -- and you may be right. They obviously do not have the rich history of some of the SEC and Big Ten schools, but Chip did seem to have the pieces to run his offense as he wanted.

Not sure if this is relevant at all, but Oregon has 27 alumni currently in the NFL. You are right -- while they are in the ballpark of the top tier programs, they are not leading the way.

USC - 43
Miami - 43
Florida State - 36
Ohio State - 35
Bama - 32
Florida - 32
Oklahoma - 24

*I didn't look at every single school, so this is not a complete list. Just did a quick spot check of some of the schools that came to mind.
D Rock
All the west coast H.S. talent wants to go to USC or Stanford. Even Cal has an easier recruiting job than the Ducks.

Chip accomplished everything he did in Eugene with 2nd and 3rd tier talent.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 21 2013, 04:44 PM) *
All the west coast H.S. talent wants to go to USC or Stanford. Even Cal has an easier recruiting job than the Ducks.

UCLA as well....but I have a hard to believing the Ducks had less talent, especially based on the amount of current players in the NFL.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 21 2013, 04:44 PM) *

Guess that explains his success in Philly. wink.gif
mcnabbulous
Identifying high school to college talent is more difficult than college to pro. I suspect Chip was better at it than many of his peers. We already know that he has specific criteria based on position. Whether it's arm length for DL or hand size for his QB.

While Chip's recruiting rankings may not have been up there with the others, that is like saying an NFL team's talent would be entirely judged on Mel Kiper's post draft ratings.

Chip had plenty of talent. Especially talent that fit well into his scheme.
D Rock
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Nov 22 2013, 04:10 AM) *
UCLA as well....but I have a hard to believing the Ducks had less talent, especially based on the amount of current players in the NFL.

That number pales in comparison to USC, Stanford, Cal, and even UCLA.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 22 2013, 04:52 PM) *
Identifying high school to college talent is more difficult than college to pro. I suspect Chip was better at it than many of his peers. We already know that he has specific criteria based on position. Whether it's arm length for DL or hand size for his QB.

While Chip's recruiting rankings may not have been up there with the others, that is like saying an NFL team's talent would be entirely judged on Mel Kiper's post draft ratings.

Chip had plenty of talent. Especially talent that fit well into his scheme.

Im not saying he didn't have any talent. I'm saying he had a tougher time recruiting ANYBODY to come to Eugene if that specific player had interest from any of the marquis programs on the left coast.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 22 2013, 04:31 PM) *
Im not saying he didn't have any talent. I'm saying he had a tougher time recruiting ANYBODY to come to Eugene if that specific player had interest from any of the marquis programs on the left coast.

Oh it's definitely a tougher sell, although Phil Knight mitigates that a bit. The state of Oregon produces 1-2 capable d-1 players yearly.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 22 2013, 09:53 PM) *
Oh it's definitely a tougher sell, although Phil Knight mitigates that a bit. The state of Oregon produces 1-2 capable d-1 players yearly.

Perhaps via facilities and that sort of thing, but NCAA slavery prevents any tangible benefits Knight's fortune might bring.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 22 2013, 03:29 PM) *
That number pales in comparison to USC, Stanford, Cal, and even UCLA.

Alumni in NFL

Cal 34
Oregon 27
UCLA 23
Stanford 22
D Rock
Look at draft position and quality of contribution.

You also conveniently left USC off your list.

Still, I'll admit I was surprised that they were that close. UCLA has been down for a bit. There was a few years there where USC had more than a half dozen players going in the first round alone.

It'd be interesting to see those numbers broken up by round.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 24 2013, 03:55 PM) *
Look at draft position and quality of contribution.

You also conveniently left USC off your list.

Still, I'll admit I was surprised that they were that close. UCLA has been down for a bit. There was a few years there where USC had more than a half dozen players going in the first round alone.

It'd be interesting to see those numbers broken up by round.

USC leads the league....I posted all of this pages ago, you even read this thread?
D Rock
I do. There must be something unmemorable about your work.

tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.