Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone 'All in' with Foles yet?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
This was the key game for me, and he stepped up big time.

I really think the kid can become a franchise qb, and I hope he stays here.

I think Chip can see that as Foles plays more games he is building upon what he can do in this O.

He ran more than RG3 today, he may not be fast but he is showing some nice shiftiness.

And here is what I really like, he is not a big ego qb, just a team player that will always prop up his team instead of himself. When asked if he would go to Canton to see his exhibit, he answered, "No, maybe when I have kids." He will never consider him self as 'good enough' or even 'the best' no matter what the stats say, this guy is grounded, humble, and mature beyond most NFL players.

AR may have left us a true gem, hope it plays out that way.
mcnabbulous
Yep. All of this. I'm a believer. Chip's scheme and Nick's smarts make us legit.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 18 2013, 12:27 AM) *
Yep. All of this. I'm a believer. Chip's scheme and Nick's smarts make us legit.

cheers.gif
Rick
All in? That's a bit strong when talking about a team which I've grown up watching rip my heart out every time I started to believe. But, yeah, I really like this kid.
Jax
As I have said many times, I have been a Foles supporter since we drafted him. Still, I want to see the season play out before I decide what moves, if any, we make in the offseason. At moment though, I love to watch Foles stand tall and deliver on target passes.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 17 2013, 11:54 PM) *

I think Chip can see that as Foles plays more games he is building upon what he can do in this O.

He ran more than RG3 today, he may not be fast but he is showing some nice shiftiness.

And here is what I really like, he is not a big ego qb, just a team player that will always prop up his team instead of himself. When asked if he would go to Canton to see his exhibit, he answered, "No, maybe when I have kids." He will never consider him self as 'good enough' or even 'the best' no matter what the stats say, this guy is grounded, humble, and mature beyond most NFL players.

I'm going to be the lone abstainer. This situation just screams "too good to be true" in ways that sometimes grate. Glad Foles is doing all the "right things" from a PR perspective, though.

I will say that the Eagles may not have to pick a QB in the first round (but they should probably still pick one in the draft, considering the delicate situation we have now, and also for insurance in case of "Foles Gold"). Especially now that playoffs with this team is a possibility (had we kept Andy Reid I don't think that would have happened). Now had Foles had to come back in the game after a final Washington TD + 2 (the fact that the defense gave up 2 of those in a row off big plays was troubling), and won it for us, I would put down all my skepticism. I'm not counting the Tampon Bay game from last year... if Foles can pull off a "Giants Miracle" he's in.

I think the issues I have now are more with Chip's game management than Foles. I don't think Foles would do too well outside of this system though. Which is the plus side to Chip Kelly. The negative side of Chip Kelly right now... is his sitting on leads (which was a criticism I had of Andy Reid as well).

Yesterday went about as well as I thought it might. The Eagles are still not a good team (I mean Seattle/Aints/Niners/Packers w/Rodgers and no injuries level), but they're better than Team Snyder and the VaGiants by far. Nick Foles >>>>>>>> ELI. Screw the rings, he's just a better QB. If the Eagles have one shred of luck like the Giants always seem to have, good things may happen.

As for the Cowpies, the one advantage the Eagles have over them is that Jason Garrett is not the Eagles coach. After that it's a wash IMO. Good enough for chances to take the division.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 17 2013, 11:54 PM) *

I'm going to be the lone abstainer. This situation just screams "too good to be true" in ways that sometimes grate. Glad Foles is doing all the "right things" from a PR perspective, though.

I will say that the Eagles may not have to pick a QB in the first round (but they should probably still pick one in the draft, considering the delicate situation we have now, and also for insurance in case of "Foles Gold"). Especially now that playoffs with this team is a possibility (had we kept Andy Reid I don't think that would have happened). Now had Foles had to come back in the game after a final Washington TD + 2 (the fact that the defense gave up 2 of those in a row off big plays was troubling), and won it for us, I would put down all my skepticism. I'm not counting the Tampon Bay game from last year... if Foles can pull off a "Giants Miracle" he's in.

I think the issues I have now are more with Chip's game management than Foles. I don't think Foles would do too well outside of this system though. Which is the plus side to Chip Kelly. The negative side of Chip Kelly right now... is his sitting on leads (which was a criticism I had of Andy Reid as well).

Yesterday went about as well as I thought it might. The Eagles are still not a good team (I mean Seattle/Aints/Niners/Packers w/Rodgers and no injuries level), but they're better than Team Snyder and the VaGiants by far. Nick Foles >>>>>>>> ELI. Screw the rings, he's just a better QB. If the Eagles have one shred of luck like the Giants always seem to have, good things may happen.

As for the Cowpies, the one advantage the Eagles have over them is that Jason Garrett is not the Eagles coach. After that it's a wash IMO. Good enough for chances to take the division.
mcnabbulous
I do somewhat wonder if Foles is a product of Chip's system, but it doesn't really matter, because it's our system for the foreseeable future.

It plays to Foles best strength, which is his quick decision making. He has improved as a passer from last season, especially down the field (which I've heard him attribute to having to adjust to the wind in the northeast.) I always saw that as a fixable problem, but I'm really happy he's been able to do so already.

Ultimately, he'll have to regress towards the mean a bit, especially as it relates to throwing interceptions. But it's a fun ride right now.
D Rock
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 18 2013, 02:58 PM) *

Chip isn't sitting on leads. His team ran perfect 4 min drills over the past few weeks. Yesterday, it wasn't working. They still won. That's the bottom line.

Other than the nutty situation around challenging on field calls, I find little to fault Chip.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 18 2013, 02:44 PM) *
Chip isn't sitting on leads. His team ran perfect 4 min drills over the past few weeks. Yesterday, it wasn't working. They still won. That's the bottom line.

Other than the nutty situation around challenging on field calls, I find little to fault Chip.

I think he got a bit too conservative, especially when it became apparent that what they were doing wasn't working.

With that said, it would have required an epic collapse for us to lose that game. Our defense almost obliged.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 18 2013, 01:48 PM) *
I think he got a bit too conservative, especially when it became apparent that what they were doing wasn't working.

With that said, it would have required an epic collapse for us to lose that game. Our defense almost obliged.

The defense very possibly would've given it up if RG hadn't pulled a Vince Young.

It's tough for me to call him RGIII as that nickname was a product of the hype machine. To me he is Robert Griffin. Maybe I will start referring to Nick Foles as NF1
Eyrie
As a long time advocate of Foles I wouldn't describe myself as "all in", since that implies I believe he is our franchise QB. If he keeps this standard of play up for the rest of the season then I'd be "all in" as the only remaining concern would be whether opponents could use this season's tape to find weaknesses for 2014. However given the pace at which we play and Foles' quick decision making I'm not sure opponents would be able to do anything even if they find something.
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 18 2013, 02:44 PM) *
The defense very possibly would've given it up if RG hadn't pulled a Vince Young.

Or a Michael Vick.
Jax
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 19 2013, 05:52 PM) *
Or a Michael Vick.

I almost wrote that too but didn't feel the need to kick MV while he is injured wink.gif
Flying Dutchman
As I said in the off-season, this is about intelligence and Nick and Chip both have tons of it. While the Talking Heads are only now backing off of their negative Chip chatter, it is clear he is bright, figures out what he is facing and arranges his options to address it. That sets up perfectly for Nick who sees the field real well, smoothly runs his progressions and smartly fakes the bejeebies out of the D with his pumps and his eyes. As long as Foles can run just well enough to create a threat, he fits Kelly's brilliance like a glove. It is a match made in heaven.....an intelligent match.
samaroo
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 20 2013, 10:30 PM) *
As I said in the off-season, this is about intelligence and Nick and Chip both have tons of it. While the Talking Heads are only now backing off of their negative Chip chatter, it is clear he is bright, figures out what he is facing and arranges his options to address it. That sets up perfectly for Nick who sees the field real well, smoothly runs his progressions and smartly fakes the bejeebies out of the D with his pumps and his eyes. As long as Foles can run just well enough to create a threat, he fits Kelly's brilliance like a glove. It is a match made in heaven.....an intelligent match.

+1
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Flying Dutchman @ Nov 20 2013, 09:30 PM) *

Thanks Dutch, you put it even better than me. I'll add that this notion he wants a QB who can sprint has never been said by Chip, he says he demands two things from his QB...wins and don't turn it over, Foles is delivering well in both aspects. I don't know, I just get this feeling the Chip/Nick might just be meant for each other, 1 dreams it up and the other executes it. He is evolving the O around Foles, the screen game is so well designed and works very well when your QB is 6'6" and can actually toss it over linemen bearing down on him. I just have the feeling we have only seen the tip of the iceberg for both Chip and Nick.

Check out this article, good read on Foles and the screen game.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/...les-112013.html
TGryn
For what its worth...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1857785...-for-each-other

Nick Foles' consistent, winning play as quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles this season will ultimately prove to be devastating to the franchise...each time Foles wins a game, the Eagles see their chances of becoming a legitimate NFL powerhouse disintegrate.

Foles does not have a single physical tool that can be described as special or elite. Foles does not have a cannon for an arm like half the aforementioned Super Bowl winners did, or like Manziel does. Foles cannot move like Young once did or like Mariota or Bridgewater do now. He is a pocket quarterback with a changeup-speed arm playing in a league that values footspeed and high-velocity throwers.

The remainder of the 2013 Eagles season is going to be exciting because neither the team nor its fans have sniffed the playoffs for some time. Unfortunately, the unintended and regrettable consequence of Nick Foles' strong play is likely to be the inability to draft a quarterback who can actually win a Super Bowl.
Phits
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 21 2013, 10:59 AM) *

The problem with this kind of report is that it is conjecture. The Eagles are "winning" and these articles over simplify and fail to acknowledge this accomplishment. Instead they try to focus on why they can't win in the future, because the QB (Foles) isn't fit for to an offense that tailors it's play calling to accommodate the abilities of the actual roster.
mcnabbulous
What elite physical tool does Tom Brady possess?

Edit: Jesus, I just made the mistake of reading that garbage BR piece. Seriously, Drew Brees and Tom Brady have zero "special" physical skills. Beyond being elite with their accuracy and decision making. Troy Aikman is much the same.

Foles has proven to have far more arm that Brad Johnson and Dilfer. I'm not even remotely sure how he would say those guys are close to what Foles has shown as a passer. It took Johnson until his age 29 season to accumulate as many starts as Foles has as a 24 year old.

Bleacher Report proves again to be the most pointless sports drivel on the web.

Edit 2: And one other thing. The only guy who doesn't fit on that list certainly isn't the one who is 6'5"
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 21 2013, 12:30 PM) *
What elite physical tool does Tom Brady possess?

Gisele Bundchen
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 21 2013, 01:32 PM) *
Gisele Bundchen

Good call.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 19 2013, 05:52 PM) *
Or a Michael Vick.

you mean an Eli Manning, circa this season. that final play was Eli "4th Quarterception" all the way.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 18 2013, 09:42 AM) *
I do somewhat wonder if Foles is a product of Chip's system, but it doesn't really matter, because it's our system for the foreseeable future.

It plays to Foles best strength, which is his quick decision making. He has improved as a passer from last season, especially down the field (which I've heard him attribute to having to adjust to the wind in the northeast.) I always saw that as a fixable problem, but I'm really happy he's been able to do so already.

Ultimately, he'll have to regress towards the mean a bit, especially as it relates to throwing interceptions. But it's a fun ride right now.

I absolutely do not believe that Foles would be doing as well if he weren't on -this- Eagle squad. with this RB, these WRs (Cooper's sucktitude notwithstanding), and most importantly this coach and scheme. I think the Browns are -close- but they don't have the running threat that is LeSean McCoy (no one does).
Wheeljack
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 21 2013, 10:59 AM) *

this is super extreme, but it's Bleacherreport. It's like saying water is wet. I won't go that far with this. I would have said this more about the Andy Reid/Vick combo (and moreso about Andy, which was exacerbated with the team injuries last season + the Washburn + Castillo disaster at defense).

I'm "cautiously pessimistic" about the future. Foles rebounds in a way that has seldom ever been seen, Eagles fans finally get some wins (and one at home) and all of a sudden we have the new Tom Brady. Tom Brady's legend was built in the playoffs. this team needs to continue to demonstrate that they can "manage the game" and get in the playoffs before I start drinking the Kool-Aid. opportunities will present themselves this year. and with the VaGiants and that BUM at QB looking like he's going to dig himself out of an 0-6 hole... I'm gonna root for the Eagles to win their way to it.

but that's just too extreme. Foles is pretty basic as it gets as an athlete but he's making it work. let's see what happens before going either way with it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 21 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Eagles fans finally get some wins (and one at home) and all of a sudden we have the new Tom Brady. Tom Brady's legend was built in the playoffs. this team needs to continue to demonstrate that they can "manage the game" and get in the playoffs before I start drinking the Kool-Aid.

Tom Brady wasn't Tom Brady until he became Tom Brady. Just like Chip can't win a championship until he wins a championship.

The point is this: Tom Brady has no distinguishable physical tool that makes him an elite QB. He's incredibly poised, accurate and has great QB smarts. I know someone else that shares those qualities.

Physical freak, Tom Brady
D Rock
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 21 2013, 08:12 PM) *
I absolutely do not believe that Foles would be doing as well if he weren't on -this- Eagle squad. with this RB, these WRs (Cooper's sucktitude notwithstanding), and most importantly this coach and scheme. I think the Browns are -close- but they don't have the running threat that is LeSean McCoy (no one does).

I'll take AP as an equal running threat for $200, Alex.

You "absolutely do not believe" Foles can play in another system? I'm sure that'll keep him up at night.

Haters gonna hate.
Zero
The WSJ did a piece on Foles rating and how that compares to other QBs after the same number of passing attempts in a season.

Foles has led the Eagles to victory in five of the six games he has started this season. He has thrown 16 touchdowns without an interception. His 128.0 passer rating on his 162 attempts is the fourth-best since at least 1991, according to Stats, LLC.

AndÖ

To put Folesís historic pace in perspective, heís nearly matched Kurt Warnerís 1999 Super Bowl-winning start with the Rams. Warner, stepping in for injured starter Trent Green, had a 131.5 rating in his first 162 pass attempts.

Folesís season has surpassed Tom Bradyís 2007 start when the Patriots finished 16-0 in the regular season, Aaron Rodgersís MVP season in 2011 and Drew Breesís Super Bowl-winning season in 2009.

Kinda decent.
Linc ...
Zero
And here it is. The second Eagle. The second-year quarterback whoís not even the MVP on his own team. Whoís not even assured of keeping the job all season, let alone into next season. Heís here and Tom Brady isnít. Heís here and Luke Kuechly isnít. Foles is here because heís got the highest passer rating and yards-per-attempt average in the league, as well as 16 touchdown passes and ó most importantly ó no interceptions. Chip Kellyís offense isnít about quarterback foot speed. Itís about the quarterback knowing what to do on every play to maximize the chances for success and minimize the chances for disaster. Nobody ó not even Kelly ó knows what Foles will be next year or even next week. But based on what heís done this year, and the fact that the Eagles are 5-1 in his games, he belongs here. Unlike his movie look-alike, he appears to have a number of good skills.
Linc ...

Who's Foles' movie look-alike?
mcnabbulous
The joke is Napoleon Dynamite. Sports writers aren't funny.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2013, 04:23 PM) *

laugh.gif

I think it's kinda spot on.

Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2013, 10:23 AM) *

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/11...fans-nick-foles

The birds and Nick thought it was funny enough to do this b4 the Redskins game
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.