Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marlon Byrd - WTF
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Jax
If the Marlon Byrd signing is a hint of things to come for the Phils then they have just ticked me off. The guy is 36 and although I like his style, he wasn't good enough for us when we had him the first time but now he is good enough to come in and improve our Outfield? WTF
mcnabbulous
RAJ sucks.
Jax
I certainly agree that I don't care for this move by Amaro. Now, if Byrd is coming off the bench for us I like it. As a starter, I don't like it. I do like Marlon and his style though. I am not knocking him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 13 2013, 11:06 AM) *
I certainly agree that I don't care for this move by Amaro. Now, if Byrd is coming off the bench for us I like it. As a starter, I don't like it. I do like Marlon and his style though. I am not knocking him.

He got 2 years/$16 million. That's starter money. He should have gotten a one year deal for less money per year. I seriously can't figure out how Amaro still has a job.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 11:15 AM) *
He got 2 years/$16 million. That's starter money. He should have gotten a one year deal for less money per year. I seriously can't figure out how Amaro still has a job.

Right, that's why I said I was pissed. $8 mil is over budget for a part time player.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 11:15 AM) *
I seriously can't figure out how Amaro still has a job.

He has pictures of Montgomery and Giles taking turns on underage prostitutes. There's no other logical reason. It's almost as if he does shit like this to rub it in our faces that he won't get fired.
nephillymike
Yeah.

I have no idea what they're doing.

I don't think they do either.

Disappointing
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 13 2013, 09:41 PM) *
Yeah.

I have no idea what they're doing.

I don't think they do either.

Disappointing

Hey, look on the bright side, at least we signed a 38-year old middle reliever too! Maybe Ruben is trying to get the team to qualify for social security benefits.....
mcnabbulous
3 years/$26MM for Chooch. Jesus Christ. I love the guy, but he's 34. I swear, Amaro throws an extra year and $8MM into every deal.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 18 2013, 12:08 PM) *
3 years/$26MM for Chooch. Jesus Christ. I love the guy, but he's 34. I swear, Amaro throws an extra year and $8MM into every deal.

I agree it is a bit high. If he can be a good receiver for us for 2-3 seasons and mentor his replacement then it isn't a horrible deal though. I guess if we had stuck to 2 yrs then he might've gone somewhere that he thought was in a better position to win.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 18 2013, 02:38 PM) *
I agree it is a bit high. If he can be a good receiver for us for 2-3 seasons and mentor his replacement then it isn't a horrible deal though. I guess if we had stuck to 2 yrs then he might've gone somewhere that he thought was in a better position to win.

A BIT?!?!? A 34 year-old catcher who might give you .240 60 RBIs if he stays healthy all year, a big if? The longer Amaro stays the more screwed we are.
Jax
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 18 2013, 03:10 PM) *
A BIT?!?!? A 34 year-old catcher who might give you .240 60 RBIs if he stays healthy all year, a big if? The longer Amaro stays the more screwed we are.

He didn't get paid for his bat. He has never produced stats at the plate beyond one good season. he has been a good situational hitter and that can continue even if he hits .240.
Jax
After thinking about it more, I have warmed up a little to Marlon Byrd. On a 2 yr deal its not awful and if we had landed one of the thought to be higher profile outfield bats then it would have impacted our ability to make further additions. I think it could work out for a year or two.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.