Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This can't be just a fluke.
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Still not convinced this guy is our QBOTF, but 4 out of his last 5 games he's has a QB rating over over 114.

I know, I know. "But he' can't run", right? Fuck it. Who needs the qb to run when they can throw like that?
mcnabbulous
Agreed. Yesterday was a really telling performance in my opinion. He was pretty awful in the first half, but turned it around and had a nice second half, leading to an easy victory over a team we should have beaten.

The fact that he hasn't thrown a pick this year is really impressive.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 11 2013, 10:02 AM) *
Agreed. Yesterday was a really telling performance in my opinion. He was pretty awful in the first half, but turned it around and had a nice second half, leading to an easy victory over a team we should have beaten.

The fact that he hasn't thrown a pick this year is really impressive.

I wish he was just a little faster. And I wish he had just a little stronger arm. But, he really seems to be learning his limitations, and is able to work around them to be successful.

I also thought Kelly's play calling complimented Foles' play style almost perfectly.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 10:29 AM) *
But, he really seems to be learning his limitations, and is able to work around them to be successful.

This is the big thing with Foles that I admire most. With the exception of the occasional deep ball that he underthrows, he seems to really play within himself.

I actually thought that he tried to be a bit too perfect in the first half, and took a few unnecessary sacks. But that's preferred over throwing picks, so it could be worse. I suspect he'll only continue to get better as it relates to taking sacks and getting rid of the ball.
Jax
To all the Foles skeptics, I am curious to know what you would like to see in order that he may satisfy your naming him our QBOTF?

I know he is not the picture of athleticism but neither is Peyton Manning. I have come to terms with being willing to not have a Cunningham, McNabb, Vick looking/athletic/apprearance quarterback that can run 80 yards at a clip.
xsv
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 11 2013, 11:03 AM) *
To all the Foles skeptics, I am curious to know what you would like to see in order that he may satisfy your naming him our QBOTF?

I know he is not the picture of athleticism but neither is Peyton Manning. I have come to terms with being willing to not have a Cunningham, McNabb, Vick looking/athletic/apprearance quarterback that can run 80 yards at a clip.

I'm looking for a long drive in the 2 minute drill to complete a come from behind victory over a very good opponant, preferably a division rival.

If he can prove that he can do that, then I'm all in with Foles.
Jax
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 11:33 AM) *
I'm looking for a long drive in the 2 minute drill to complete a come from behind victory over a very good opponant, preferably a division rival.

Good answer, however if we need to do that next Sunday then I will be a bit disappointed. We should handle Washington without a last minute firedrill.
mcnabbulous

I'm no longer really a skeptic. My big concern was his throwing of the deep ball. He has gotten better about it and also plays within himself.

I don't think he's going to be a superstar, but more than capable of playing at a high level on a regular basis. The only thing he really has to do for me at this point is continue to play consistently well.
D Rock
Foles greatest assets are between the ears. Understanding NFL Defenses, staying cool under fire, has the gravitas of an NFL QB, team mates like him. So what if he's unspectacular physically? He's got enough physically to get the job done, and doesn't fall allow his few mistakes to snowball out of control.

Similar performances through the rest of this year, and I'm sold.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2013, 12:43 PM) *
Foles greatest assets are between the ears. Understanding NFL Defenses, staying cool under fire, has the gravitas of an NFL QB, team mates like him. So what if he's unspectacular physically? He's got enough physically to get the job done, and doesn't fall allow his few mistakes to snowball out of control.

Similar performances through the rest of this year, and I'm sold.

Yep. He needs to get a little bit better about getting rid of the ball and avoid thinking that he can outrun defensive linemen, but beyond that his decision making and awareness of his limitations has been fantastic.
nephillymike

I have no more reservations about Nick Foles as our starting QB of the present and future, IF, we go to a conventional offense. Chip and Davis have said on multiple occassions that they will mold the offense and defense and play calling to fit the strengths. Davis has done that, but I don't think Chip has on offense. The read option with Foles as a running "threat" is silly. On one hand, it is hard top argue with our success, even yesterday, but he is too slow to be a valid running threat. That being said, I wish there was someone who had the same views that we do on TV so they could tell them how wide open it is to run with Foles even with his limitations. I think he ran 5 X for 41 yds yesterday, and really, it was so wide open most of the time that he could have run 10 X for 100. If they are going to stay this route, he needs to run it until that DE stays honest. If they do not, then our offense will never be at optimum production and with a subpar defense and mediocre ST's, we need to ride our offense if we want to win playoff games this year.

We have our QB!! Chip, do away with the read option and put another TE or another RB in the game to take care of the DE so you can run it the way you're supposed to with a non running QB.

The fact that Foles has played so well, in a system that doesn't perfectly fit his skills, speaks volumes of his QB ability. The fact that Chip has this offense so successful with the same limitations speaks volumes of his coaching ability and the talent we have on offense.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 11 2013, 08:03 AM) *

Foles has been damn impressive so far, no doubt about it. But my remaining reasons for not yet naming him our QBOTF are as follows:

1.) His deep passes still scare me. I don't know if he's not getting enough strength behind them, but by the blessings of the football gods a lot of near interceptions have turned into amazing catches. Though it's nice to finally see some effort from our WRs; they're finally going after the ball instead of letting Vick rifle them in the chest with it.

2.) I want to see how he handles a pressure situation. Rodgers would've been a great test for him, but definitely above his level. I feel like this upcoming game against The Redskins is right where he needs to be. Home Game, Division Rival... this is where Foles needs to really show what he's got.

3.) I want to see how he handles a losing situation. If we go down early in the half is Foles the type of guy who can take a team, put them on his shoulders, and get the victory? It's hard to tell with Foles because he has the Eli face; he's completely expressionless through the entire game. As funny as it sounds I need to know if that's an extreme amount of poise or just his natural expressions.

As for what I love about Foles so far that's much easier to answer:

1. ) He's Winning Games
2. ) He's Playing Mistake Free

If he keeps doing that he'll never see the bench again
D Rock
He had the come from behind last second TD to Maclin for the win last year vs. Tampon.

Wheeljack

^^^^ this and also, the ability to play this well against press man coverage w/safety help above for DeSean (i.e. what Andy and even the VaGiants pulled on the Eagles)

the amount of bounces in Foles's favor these last couple weeks are just insane. good that he's shredded some absolutely fecal teams but we can't expect the same when DBs aren't falling over trying to catch Riley Pooper.

too small a sample size against teams that just SUCK. Giants when they had no running game, Tampa Bay, Raiders, Packers sans Rodgers... that outlier came against the only decent team on that list.

and he had some pretty bad throws yesterday that would have ended up being a BWC Puke Bucket (I think he's the dude who pukes) had they been picked, a couple in the redzone after a Packer turnover.

also, I don't buy the "teammates like him" deal. I distinctly saw the lack of team celebration behind one of Pooper's TDs the other day... LOL

over the long run though, I think Foles is actually a better fit for a team with a dominant defense. not quite that Ben/Eli/Flacco level of "underwhelming" that usually excused with such teams, but close. if the Eagles build anything like that (or plan to) I think that he would be just fine. Foles actually is the ideal QB for the current Kansas City Chiefs. I would also say the Browns, but their offensive coordinator is Norv Freakin' Turner. Even Andyball '13 looks more conventional than that.

I think it says a lot about Chip Kelly that he can get this kind of play out of his QBs, who couldn't be any more different in skill set. I don't think we would have seen this with Andy Reid.
iggleslover49

Consistency at this point. If he keeps playing at the level he's been playing at, I'd be happy to say he's the QB of the future. I was under the impression that this offense wouldn't work without a mobile QB, boy have I been wrong... Now I need to see that, because he's not as physically gifted as others with his legs, I need to see consistency with his arm. And I'm starting to see that, but keep it going. I like what I'm seeing. I'm not expecting much 7 TD games, but I need to see that, over and over accuracy. He still needs work on the deep ball, but he doesn't have a noodle arm. The pass to Djax yesterday goes down in the stat sheet as a TD, but that shoulda been a pick. He's got 6 more games to prove that he is the Franchise Guy. And as much as I've backed Vick, because to me he was the better QB, right now Foles is playing at a high level and should be the starter until he proves otherwise.

Disclaimer: Last time I felt this way and said so on this forum, he came off a good game against Tampa Bay, and went into Dallas with some of the worst QB play I've ever experienced. Hopefully now that I'm saying this again on this forum he will not go and lay an egg against Washington. If he does. I will be FORCED to back Vick for the rest of the season.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 11 2013, 01:08 PM) *
Foles has been damn impressive so far, no doubt about it. But my remaining reasons for not yet naming him our QBOTF are as follows:

1.) His deep passes still scare me. I don't know if he's not getting enough strength behind them, but by the blessings of the football gods a lot of near interceptions have turned into amazing catches. Though it's nice to finally see some effort from our WRs; they're finally going after the ball instead of letting Vick rifle them in the chest with it.

2.) I want to see how he handles a pressure situation. Rodgers would've been a great test for him, but definitely above his level. I feel like this upcoming game against The Redskins is right where he needs to be. Home Game, Division Rival... this is where Foles needs to really show what he's got.

3.) I want to see how he handles a losing situation. If we go down early in the half is Foles the type of guy who can take a team, put them on his shoulders, and get the victory? It's hard to tell with Foles because he has the Eli face; he's completely expressionless through the entire game. As funny as it sounds I need to know if that's an extreme amount of poise or just his natural expressions.

As for what I love about Foles so far that's much easier to answer:

1. ) He's Winning Games
2. ) He's Playing Mistake Free

If he keeps doing that he'll never see the bench again

This..
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 11 2013, 02:44 PM) *
I think it says a lot about Chip Kelly that he can get this kind of play out of his QBs, who couldn't be any more different in skill set. I don't think we would have seen this with Andy Reid.

Andy Ried is the King at making trashy backups look good.
Rick
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 08:55 AM) *
I know, I know. "But he' can't run", right? Fuck it. Who needs the qb to run when they can throw like that?

What everyone seems to think is we need a QB who can break off a 50 yard run in this offense. We don't need that for this offense to be successful as evidenced by the last 2 weeks. We just need him to be decisive enough to get an occasional first down. He seems to be good enough for this.

Rick

Well, he hasn't had an opportunity against a, "very good opponent," yet but I guess the game against Tampa last season doesn't qualify?
xsv
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 11 2013, 05:22 PM) *
Well, he hasn't had an opportunity against a, "very good opponent," yet but I guess the game against Tampa last season doesn't qualify?

I guess 'with something on the line' should also be part of that requirement.
JeeQ
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2013, 10:18 AM) *
He had the come from behind last second TD to Maclin for the win last year vs. Tampon.

QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 11 2013, 02:22 PM) *

Your both right, and I'm not trying to take away anything from Foles when I say this but that comeback win against Tampa was a completely meaningless game for both teams at the very end of a throwaway season. Win or lose there was nothing on the line.

What I'm talking about and I believe xsv is as well is what I'll dub "The Romo Moment". Playoff berth on the line, down by 6, less than two minutes on the clock, the pressure couldn't be higher. Does Foles lead us down the field to a huge victory or does he throw a devastating game-ending interception?

Honestly, I think Foles has enough poise to handle the pressure, but I can't say for sure until I see it.
Rick
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 05:30 PM) *
I guess 'with something on the line' should also be part of that requirement.

I'm with you but you can't knock the guy for not being in that situation yet.
canadianeagle

This is it exactly. What will he be able to do under adversity. On paper everything is pointing to the QBotf. I just can't get behind this notion until he shows he can lead this team from behind.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 12:33 PM) *

Didn't he do it last year against Tampa?
Jax
QUOTE (canadianeagle @ Nov 11 2013, 06:47 PM) *
This is it exactly. What will he be able to do under adversity. On paper everything is pointing to the QBotf. I just can't get behind this notion until he shows he can lead this team from behind.

I understand but my goal is to not fall behind enough for this to matter in the first place wink.gif
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 11 2013, 08:13 PM) *
Didn't he do it last year against Tampa?

Needs to have some pressure on him as well.
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 11 2013, 11:38 PM) *
Your both right, and I'm not trying to take away anything from Foles when I say this but that comeback win against Tampa was a completely meaningless game for both teams at the very end of a throwaway season. Win or lose there was nothing on the line.

What I'm talking about and I believe xsv is as well is what I'll dub "The Romo Moment". Playoff berth on the line, down by 6, less than two minutes on the clock, the pressure couldn't be higher. Does Foles lead us down the field to a huge victory or does he throw a devastating game-ending interception?

Honestly, I think Foles has enough poise to handle the pressure, but I can't say for sure until I see it.

He was a rookie last year, which is to say . . . everything was on the line with every snap. So too he trying to wrestle the job away from a living legend and build himself a career. He still has a mere 10 starts. If you think he's not under pressure playing in Lambeau for the first time, you don't know human nature. The guy is attempting to build himself a career. These games this/last year are more pressure filled than the opponents' record might indicate to an established starter.
CT_Eagle
This season is shaping up nicely as an evaluation year for Foles. I think he clearly has the job going forward. If he is successful the next couple of weeks, the Eagles are going to be in a legitimate playoff race. This will give everyone a chance to evaluate Foles in a pressure situation. If the Eagles should happen to make the playoffs we can see what he does against a good opponent. The 2nd Dallas game should provide some insight as well.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 12 2013, 11:17 AM) *
He was a rookie last year, which is to say . . . everything was on the line with every snap. So too he trying to wrestle the job away from a living legend and build himself a career. He still has a mere 10 starts. If you think he's not under pressure playing in Lambeau for the first time, you don't know human nature. The guy is attempting to build himself a career. These games this/last year are more pressure filled than the opponents' record might indicate to an established starter.

Well-said. I was thinking the same thing. This kid feels more pressure than an established QB in EVERY game at this point in his (budding) career.
samaroo
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 12 2013, 01:14 PM) *
This season is shaping up nicely as an evaluation year for Foles. I think he clearly has the job going forward. If he is successful the next couple of weeks, the Eagles are going to be in a legitimate playoff race. This will give everyone a chance to evaluate Foles in a pressure situation. If the Eagles should happen to make the playoffs we can see what he does against a good opponent. The 2nd Dallas game should provide some insight as well.

This seems like a more likely scenario every week now. I hope it happens, if for nothing else than to see Foles in a game like that. The future is starting to look brighter. This is a very exciting time to be an Eagles fan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.