Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CooperDavisKellyJohnsonWolff
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Riley Cooper is stepping it up. Is the second string QB throwing to the second string WR confidence the key or does this guy really have the talent? He's blocking downfield and muscling the DBs in a way we haven't seen for a while. I'm enjoying it.

The defense started the season with an oh-my-God-not-this-again feel. We all had reservations about the DC hire but Billy Davis has these guys playing better every week despite some glaring holes. They're doing good against the run, OK against the pass and impressive at keeping teams out of the EZ. There's been some snot splashing hits too and it's really nice to see the defense getting physical again.

Not sure he shouldn't be at the top of this list because the college geek coach is showing that he has the capacity to adapt. I'm trying to think of moves, decisions or mistakes that, even if he bungled he hasn't come back and improved on. I was so tired of stubborn and Kelly seems to be the antithesis of that.

Lane Johnson has had his challenges, but he seems to be improving most every week. For a QB/TE/OT and only a couple of years at the last spot he's doing more than holding his own. We didn't see Casey's brother doing too much yesterday and a lot of the credit probably needs to go to Johnson.

A lot of Eagle fans probably rolleyes.gif after he was drafted in the fifth round and said he wanted to emulate his hero, Brian Dawkins. He's got miles and miles to go before he's on the same planet as BDawk but he's playing and doing a credible job, especially when compared to some of the other S on in that backfield.

It's nice to have an Eagles' team to be interested in again. That's different than rooting because I had grown passive after 14 years. This is getting fun even if I don't see them doing IT this year.

Rick
I've always liked Cooper as a 3rd receiver. He actually attacks the ball when thrown at him (usually anyway). Not enough receivers do that.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 11 2013, 06:32 AM) *
Riley Cooper is stepping it up. Is the second string QB throwing to the second string WR confidence the key or does this guy really have the talent? He's blocking downfield and muscling the DBs in a way we haven't seen for a while. I'm enjoying it.

The defense started the season with an oh-my-God-not-this-again feel. We all had reservations about the DC hire but Billy Davis has these guys playing better every week despite some glaring holes. They're doing good against the run, OK against the pass and impressive at keeping teams out of the EZ. There's been some snot splashing hits too and it's really nice to see the defense getting physical again.

Not sure he shouldn't be at the top of this list because the college geek coach is showing that he has the capacity to adapt. I'm trying to think of moves, decisions or mistakes that, even if he bungled he hasn't come back and improved on. I was so tired of stubborn and Kelly seems to be the antithesis of that.

Lane Johnson has had his challenges, but he seems to be improving most every week. For a QB/TE/OT and only a couple of years at the last spot he's doing more than holding his own. We didn't see Casey's brother doing too much yesterday and a lot of the credit probably needs to go to Johnson.

A lot of Eagle fans probably :rolleyes: after he was drafted in the fifth round and said he wanted to emulate his hero, Brian Dawkins. He's got miles and miles to go before he's on the same planet as BDawk but he's playing and doing a credible job, especially when compared to some of the other S on in that backfield.

It's nice to have an Eagles' team to be interested in again. That's different than rooting because I had grown passive after 14 years. This is getting fun even if I don't see them doing IT this year.

I highly dislike Riley Cooper and can not wait until Jeremy Maclin comes back to the team. Hopefully he can still play at a high level. He is a "blocker" more than he is a WR... which is a boon for an offense that actually runs the ball. But people will be calling for his head once DBs stop falling down in pursuit of him.

Though, thanks to all the TDs he's caught he'll probably be taking Jason Avant's slot next season.

My interest level in this team is actually low compared to previous years (2010 -- a year I thought was gonna suck). Only because this is a rebuilding year with a lot of question marks. Chip Kelly has been the main reason I've tuned in.

Earl Wolff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coleman, Chung and Allen (who I will say has not been playing AS horribly as he's known to do).

I really like Brandon Boykin and some of the other assorted DBs on the team. Roc Carmichael is much like Cary Williams with the "penalty-bait" play though. Fletcher (who was a Rams castoff) doesn't make me want to throw bottles at the TV like Asomugha did.

Rick
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 11 2013, 02:55 PM) *
I highly dislike Riley Cooper and can not wait until Jeremy Maclin comes back to the team. Hopefully he can still play at a high level. He is a "blocker" more than he is a WR... which is a boon for an offense that actually runs the ball. But people will be calling for his head once DBs stop falling down in pursuit of him.

You're right, he sucks. rolleyes.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 11 2013, 08:55 PM) *

I know! Right?

Fuckin Sux to have a WR go for 100+ yards and multiple TDs in back to back to back games. And this turd has the nerve to excel at blocking too?!?!?!

Fuck him!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I mean, this guy had the nerve to use a naughty word while drunk! He's dead to anybody with a brain, right? If he'd only chosen instead to strangle, electrocute, and murder dozens of innocent animals. Then he might . . . MIGHT . . . get a 2nd chance.

Stupid is as stupid does.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 12 2013, 02:06 PM) *
I mean, this guy had the nerve to use a naughty word while drunk! He's dead to anybody with a brain, right? If he'd only chosen instead to strangle, electrocute, and murder dozens of innocent animals. Then he might . . . MIGHT . . . get a 2nd chance.

Right. I think the shit he pulled this offseason was stupid and likely telling of his personality, but sometimes it takes facing that kind of backlash for someone to overcome being a complete shitbag.

I genuinely believe Vick is a different guy than he was prior to his stint in prison. While Cooper's actions were less severe, hopefully they were eye opening as it relates to being a douchey sack of shit.
D Rock
100% agreed!
Rick
I know! Right?

Fuckin Sux to have a WR go for 100+ yards and multiple TDs in back to back to back games. And this turd has the nerve to excel at blocking too?!?!?!

Fuck him!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Now THAT is funny...I don't care WHO you are!
Wheeljack
I know! Right?

Fuck him!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah, fuck you with that Vick false equivalency. DeSean Jackson used "naughty words". This asshole stood in front of a crowd and used language that basically shows him to be a piece of dessicated shit. and it's telling that a number of players don't want anything to do with him still.

I guess gaudy, but misleading football stats excuse "slipups" like these for one, but not the other? white supremacy is a hell of a drug.

fact is, as a football player Cooper is a polished turd; this will become quite evident down the stretch. he couldn't get separation against this year's crappy Giants team. as far as I'm concerned he's a more fortunate Freddie Mitchell and a glorified blocker. he's crap against non-zone playing defenses. but he's probably gonna take a paycut here and replace the aging Avant. he will soon go back to sucking.
Rick
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 13 2013, 09:03 AM) *
yeah, fuck you with that Vick false equivalency. DeSean Jackson used "naughty words". This asshole stood in front of a crowd and used language that basically shows him to be a piece of dessicated shit. and it's telling that a number of players don't want anything to do with him still.

I guess gaudy, but misleading football stats excuse "slipups" like these for one, but not the other? white supremacy is a hell of a drug.

fact is, as a football player Cooper is a polished turd; this will become quite evident down the stretch. he couldn't get separation against this year's crappy Giants team. as far as I'm concerned he's a more fortunate Freddie Mitchell and a glorified blocker. he's crap against non-zone playing defenses. but he's probably gonna take a paycut here and replace the aging Avant. he will soon go back to sucking.

Is Cooper the new McNabb for haters?

Sorry but you make many assumptions here--like how nobody wants anything to do with him. Seems like he gets along just fine with people on the field--where it matters.

Nobody is saying he's Jerry Rice but there is no denying he's a nice 3rd receiver. He attacks the ball when it's thrown to him--something which too many receivers in the NFL don't do.

I just don't get all pissed when someone yells a bad/insulting word. Too many people are too sensitive about words. If he's wearing a sheet and burning a cross in someone's yard, well, yeah, I'm with ya, but he hardly did anything like that. So many other players have done so much worse and get a pass in the NFL.

Do I wish he hadn't had that issue yelling the N word? Absolutely. Would I want to hang with him at the bar? Probably not. But I don't hate the guy, have no reason to. Not everyone has as much class as many of us when it comes to this sort of thing.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 12 2013, 02:25 PM) *
Right. I think the shit he pulled this offseason was stupid and likely telling of his personality, but sometimes it takes facing that kind of backlash for someone to overcome being a complete shitbag.

I genuinely believe Vick is a different guy than he was prior to his stint in prison. While Cooper's actions were less severe, hopefully they were eye opening as it relates to being a douchey sack of shit.

Can someone pllease tell me the origin of all of the Douchey references to Riley Cooper prior to his concert episode? I'm curious what other instances of Douchey behavior can be provided?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 13 2013, 10:15 AM) *
I just don't get all pissed when someone yells a bad/insulting word. Too many people are too sensitive about words.

Can we not start this conversation again. He was wrong. Hopefully he learned from it.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 12 2013, 02:25 PM) *
I genuinely believe Vick is a different guy than he was prior to his stint in prison.

I totally agree and I have posted that several times previously. I respect and admire Mike Vick for his turnaround.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 13 2013, 11:05 AM) *
Can someone pllease tell me the origin of all of the Douchey references to Riley Cooper prior to his concert episode? I'm curious what other instances of Douchey behavior can be provided?

The known conflict wasn't the only time that day his actions were on the douchey side of things. I'm not naive enough to believe this is the first time he was a jackass.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/08/besid...ey-concert.html
Jax
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 13 2013, 09:03 AM) *

From a X and O perspective, Vick wasn't able to utilize Cooper as well as Foles. Cooper won't ever be able to get open enough for the QB to locate the open receiver visually and then fire the ball to him. On timing plays Cooper can use good route running and his body advantage to make catches from an accurate quarterback that puts the ball where it needs to be. Now, that isn't to say that Cooper is a Pro-Bowler but I also don't believe he should be in the Arena League either. I hope we keep Avant. I like him. I think Cooper can be a contributor but I agree I'd like an upgrade at the starting 2 WR positions. I like Maclin too but I don't want to overpay for him. In fact, unless he gives at least a small hometown discount then I'd be inclined to let him walk.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 08:07 AM) *
Can we not start this conversation again. He was wrong. Hopefully he learned from it.

I wanted to stay away from it so bad, but it always makes me laugh when people who aren't black say "I don't get what's so insensitive about the N word, it didn't hurt my feelings when he said it, so why are you so upset? Why are you letting a word get you so mad? It's just a word, and words never get me mad. If someone called me the N word, I wouldn't even be upset!"

If you're not black, you'll never understand as long as you live why Wheeljack and others are so upset. There's going to be people who will never forgive or forget what Riley did and you'll never be able to truly understand why that is. Suggesting that Riley is the new McNabb for haters shows me how out of touch you are with the reasonings so I'd suggest taking McNabbulous advice and dropping the conversation entirely.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 11:11 AM) *
The known conflict wasn't the only time that day his actions were on the douchey side of things. I'm not naive enough to believe this is the first time he was a jackass.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2013/08/besid...ey-concert.html

I have no knowledge on way or another if there are other such episodes. I have heard reports that he had BMOC syndrome at UF though... from sources that were on the team with him. how much of it was simply "being a college kid jackassery" I don't know. I will be the first to admit I had a few drunken college days where I found myself crossing the line. Not in the way the Cooper did but just getting loud and obnoxious type stuff.
D Rock
That's right boys. Pick and chose your outrage!

In one hand we have a naughty word.

In the other, violence, torture, and death of innocent animals.

To be clear.

There is NOTHING by way of "false equivalency." We chose to like or not like our sports figures.

Vick gets a pass because . . . you know . . . there was a cultural element to what he did. (Again: torture and murdering innocent animals)

Cooper gets no such pass because. . . you know . . . he used a naughty word. Forget the fact that said word (and it IS vile) can't be avoided in 9 out of 10 popular songs. He used it. He's dead forever.

I'm not black. But my wife is. My brother is. My children are. Does that qualify me to have an opinion on this?

You asshats can take your moral outrage and the specious scale on which it slides and shove it firmly up your hypocritical asses.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2013, 12:19 PM) *
I wanted to stay away from it so bad, but it always makes me laugh when people who aren't black say "I don't get what's so insensitive about the N word, it didn't hurt my feelings when he said it, so why are you so upset? Why are you letting a word get you so mad? It's just a word, and words never get me mad. If someone called me the N word, I wouldn't even be upset!"

If you're not black, you'll never understand as long as you live why Wheeljack and others are so upset. There's going to be people who will never forgive or forget what Riley did and you'll never be able to truly understand why that is. Suggesting that Riley is the new McNabb for haters shows me how out of touch you are with the reasonings so I'd suggest taking McNabbulous advice and dropping the conversation entirely.

Thanks, JeeQ. Couldn't agree more.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2013, 11:19 AM) *
There's going to be people who will never forgive or forget what Riley did and you'll never be able to truly understand why that is.

I wanted to stay away from this again too. If you want to never forgive Riley Cooper, fine. However, this conversation started by what he's doing on the field, and some ridiculous criticism about how 'he sucks.' That's from drinking the Hatorade.

And again, the unbelievable comparisons between Cooper and Vick. If we as a society are comparing uttering racial slurs to running a large operation that revolved around mutilating, torturing, and murdering dogs, then we're more fucked than I can imagine. I personally forgive Vick, and think he's turned himself around. There are those who will never forgive him. But certainly none of those 'haters' would've dared criticize his play during that stretch in 2010. Hate the man if you must, but don't let it cloud your judgement of his play.

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2013, 04:19 PM) *

I think it is a bit insulting to be told that since I am not black I cannot understand why a word is hurtful. The idea itself is racist in nature. Are black people incapable of understanding what it means to be white because they are not white? Can anybody truly empathize with anyone that is not from the same racial, religious and ethnic background or is it only whites that cannot understand blacks? Think about how idiotic this whole concept is.
xsv
And again, the unbelievable comparisons between Cooper and Vick. If we as a society are comparing uttering racial slurs to running a large operation that revolved around mutilating, torturing, and murdering dogs, then we're more fucked than I can imagine.

I don't think anyone is comparing the crimes. Nor do I think anyone is comparing their on field performance.

I think the comparison comes from the amount of dislike each has received. And, I think it's an interesting study.

On one hand, you've got a guy that committed heinous crimes against animals and served a couple years in prison. He came back and was a star QB not only on the team, but in the entire league in 2010, and yet he is greatly disliked, and heavily and overly scrutinized by many people, myself included.

On the other hand, you've got a guy that acted like an idiot and uttered one of the most vial, racially derogatory and insulting words in the English language, in public and on video. His punishment was very minimal, but he returned to the team and he has contributed far more to this year team than in any previous year, and is arguably one of the main reasons for this years limited success. And yet he is greatly disliked, and heavily and overly scrutinized by many people.

Two very different crimes. Two very different on field performances. But very similar hate.

Anyone that is honest with themselves, and finds themselves disliking and heavily or overly scrutinizing either of these guys based on their off field actions, should at least understand other people that find themselves disliking and heavily or overly scrutinizing the other guy, based on their off field actions. Because, it's basically the exact same reaction.

mcnabbulous
Or we can all just acknowledge that we all fuck up from time to time. And there are circumstances which cause/impact those fuckups. And ideally, we learn from these mistakes and grow as individuals so they don't occur again.

From my perspective, both guys have done so. Vick, tremendously. Cooper is more wait and see at this time because it's so new.

xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 01:13 PM) *
Or we can all just acknowledge that we all fuck up from time to time. And there are circumstances which cause/impact those fuckups. And ideally, we learn from these mistakes and grow as individuals so they don't occur again.

From my perspective, both guys have done so. Vick, tremendously. Cooper is more wait and see at this time because it's so new.

Acknowledging that, and being able to root and cheer for them again are two completely different things.

I've always said that I don't begrudge Vick his second chance. And I think he's make the most of it, has grown from it, and is a better person because of it.

But, I will never root for him, I will always dislike him, and I will always more heavily scrutinize him. I can understand others that feel the same about Cooper.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 13 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Acknowledging that, and being able to root and cheer for them again are two completely different things.

I've always said that I don't begrudge Vick his second chance. And I think he's make the most of it, has grown from it, and is a better person because of it.

But, I will never root for him, I will always dislike him, and I will always more heavily scrutinize him. I can understand others that feel the same about Cooper.

Fair. I actually admire Vick more because of the circumstances than I ever would have imagined. I truly believe he was an all-time piece of shit in his early 20's. His crimes back that up.

He has come out of it far better than I ever could have imagined. I think his remorse and newfound leadership are genuine.

A lot of people don't grow when faced with that kind of adversity. I really believe he has. Even his comments this week regarding his role on the team continue to hammer that home.
JeeQ
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 13 2013, 09:54 AM) *
I think it is a bit insulting to be told that since I am not black I cannot understand why a word is hurtful. The idea itself is racist in nature. Are black people incapable of understanding what it means to be white because they are not white? Can anybody truly empathize with anyone that is not from the same racial, religious and ethnic background or is it only whites that cannot understand blacks? Think about how idiotic this whole concept is.

I know the concept may sound insulting at first glance, but it's honestly how I feel. As a black man I could never fully understand white man's burden, white guilt, or white privilege. I can recognize the concepts and have it described to me, but I could never truly understand it.

The best comparison I can give since it's so prevalent today is the words "Gay, Homo, & Fag". As of about 5-10 years ago you could throw those words out freely and no one would bat an eyelash. I even admit to describing things I disliked as "Gay", joking around with my friends and calling them a "Fag" as an insult, and even calling Tony Romo, Tony Homo. I honestly thought nothing of it; didn't even find it offensive.

But ask someone's who's homosexual about the word and they'll tell you it's the most hurtful word in the world. It's such an offensive word that you can lose your career and livelihood over it. Yet the word has no power at all to me. It doesn't upset me in the least. But that doesn't make the word any less offensive just because it's not offensive to me. Saying that it doesn't effect you personally so others should just get over it, and stop being so sensitive is downright insulting. I know the word is hurtful because I've been told the word is hurtful but I could never truly empathize with a homosexual because I have no idea what it's like to be gay in America. I've never been denied the right to marry, denied a spot in the military or clergy, or couldn't put my life partner on my health insurance or in my will, or be told I'm going to burn in hell because of who I chose to love. These are things you can never truly understand until you've lived it. What many need to learn is that it's perfectly fine not to truly understand it, you're not supposed to, you can't. All that's asked is that you respect it.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2013, 07:18 PM) *
I know the concept may sound insulting at first glance, but it's honestly how I feel. As a black man I could never fully understand white man's burden, white guilt, or white privilege. I can recognize the concepts and have it described to me, but I could never truly understand it.

The best comparison I can give since it's so prevalent today is the words "Gay, Homo, & Fag". As of about 5-10 years ago you could throw those words out freely and no one would bat an eyelash. I even admit to describing things I disliked as "Gay", joking around with my friends and calling them a "Fag" as an insult, and even calling Tony Romo, Tony Homo. I honestly thought nothing of it; didn't even find it offensive.

But ask someone's who's homosexual about the word and they'll tell you it's the most hurtful word in the world. It's such an offensive word that you can lose your career and livelihood over it. Yet the word has no power at all to me. It doesn't upset me in the least. But that doesn't make the word any less offensive just because it's not offensive to me. Saying that it doesn't effect you personally so others should just get over it, and stop being so sensitive is downright insulting. I know the word is hurtful because I've been told the word is hurtful but I could never truly empathize with a homosexual because I have no idea what it's like to be gay in America. I've never been denied the right to marry, denied a spot in the military or clergy, or couldn't put my life partner on my health insurance or in my will, or be told I'm going to burn in hell because of who I chose to love. These are things you can never truly understand until you've lived it. What many need to learn is that it's perfectly fine not to truly understand it, you're not supposed to, you can't. All that's asked is that you respect it.

I almost did not submit my post because I did not want to start up a shit storm. Any discussion involving race has the potential to spiral out of control very quickly. Thank you for reading and responding to my thread in the manner in which it was intended.

I think your correlation between negative terms used to describe homosexuals and the African American community is spot on. Although the homosexuals I socialize with do not have a problem with the word "gay" unless that word is used as an insult. They identify themselves as gay, as leading a gay lifestyle and supporting gay causes. The word itself does not bother them, only how it is sometimes used. Of course this may very well be limited to the individuals I know and may not be true for the community as a whole.

I still disagree with not being able to understand. I think you adequately stated that you do understand what it is to be gay in present day America. I agree 100% with your comment about respect.

Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 13 2013, 11:07 AM) *

Never said he wasn't wrong.
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 13 2013, 11:19 AM) *

But I never claimed I knew what it feels like to be called that as a black man. But that doesn't mean other people have never been insulted. Black people aren't the only people who have been beaten down.

You're right, about not wanting to get this debate going, however, I wasn't the one who started it. The whole, "Riley Cooper sucks and is racist (no, they didn't call him racist but alluded to it)," would be where it started again. I'm only replying.

And my comment about McNabb was sarcasm. Obviously, you're not terribly in touch with the reasonings either.
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 13 2013, 11:44 AM) *
That's right boys. Pick and chose your outrage!

In one hand we have a naughty word.

In the other, violence, torture, and death of innocent animals.

To be clear.

There is NOTHING by way of "false equivalency." We chose to like or not like our sports figures.

Vick gets a pass because . . . you know . . . there was a cultural element to what he did. (Again: torture and murdering innocent animals)

Cooper gets no such pass because. . . you know . . . he used a naughty word. Forget the fact that said word (and it IS vile) can't be avoided in 9 out of 10 popular songs. He used it. He's dead forever.

I'm not black. But my wife is. My brother is. My children are. Does that qualify me to have an opinion on this?

You asshats can take your moral outrage and the specious scale on which it slides and shove it firmly up your hypocritical asses.

Well-said sir.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.