Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'm starting to believe...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
...in Foles. He's really looking comfortable on the field and making good decisions. He really needs to learn to hold onto the ball when he gets hit though, that's my only knock on him at the moment.

I know it's very early in his career and all but, so far, I'm very pleased with him. I'm hoping he finishes the season strong so we have a decision to make. I'm pulling for him at this point.
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 10 2013, 07:15 PM) *
...in Foles. He's really looking comfortable on the field and making good decisions. He really needs to learn to hold onto the ball when he gets hit though, that's my only knock on him at the moment.

I know it's very early in his career and all but, so far, I'm very pleased with him. I'm hoping he finishes the season strong so we have a decision to make. I'm pulling for him at this point.
Despite his stellar stats I'm not convinced he's a SB winner. Can't say why, just feel that way.
Jax
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 10 2013, 06:41 PM) *
Despite his stellar stats I'm not convinced he's a SB winner. Can't say why, just feel that way.

As opposed to Trent Dilfer after his 9th career start.
Zero
I never consider Dilfer a SB winner. I see that D as the winner. But I get the point.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 11 2013, 12:41 AM) *

You are an Eagle's fan. Being doubtful is the only way to survive rooting for this franchise decade after decade.
Flying Dutchman
QUOTE ( @ Nov 10 2013, 06:41 PM) *

Was he a SB QB last year when he came in at the end of a disastrous year? NO

Is he a SB QB this year as he gets his shot taking over? NO

Has he shown solid, progress in this less than a season's experience? Absolutely!!!! The kid is just that , young and talented and he needs this year and maybe next as well to keep improving. But dayummm, he has some long needed skill, size, intelligence etc. He definitely, at this point in his development, has serious SB potential. He deserves some time to learn and grow. Hang in there 1.
snowylad
Hi, I don't write often and am curious to know how you rate Foles against the likes of RGIII, Luck, Kapernick & Wilson?

I know Kapernick & RGIII are more mobile QB's. I'm just trying to guage where you guys think he's lines up with the new school stars
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 10 2013, 07:24 PM) *
I never consider Dilfer a SB winner. I see that D as the winner. But I get the point.

I don't look at a QB and decide whether they can win a SB or not, I look at the team as a whole. This team is certainly not a SB team. We have a kid playing QB who has shown he just may have what it takes to be a nice QB in the NFL.

That's what I mean when I say I'm starting to believe in him. I don't know that he's the next Montana, Marino, etc. I just like what I've seen from him playing the position.

We don't need a HOF QB--although it would be nice--to win some games. If we get another REAL receiving threat and this defense improves more in the off-season, I think we'll have a very nice team--certainly nice enough to play with the big boys.

I can't wait to see Foles play against some better teams to see what he's got. He does seem to look more comfortable the more he plays. This makes total sense since he's still a very young QB.
Rick
QUOTE (snowylad @ Nov 11 2013, 07:05 AM) *
Hi, I don't write often and am curious to know how you rate Foles against the likes of RGIII, Luck, Kapernick & Wilson?

I know Kapernick & RGIII are more mobile QB's. I'm just trying to guage where you guys think he's lines up with the new school stars

Obviously, he's not nearly as mobile as the two you mentioned.
Zero
QUOTE (snowylad @ Nov 11 2013, 08:05 AM) *

His stats would indicate he's a franchise QB but it's too early to know if he really is or, at worst just a very solid backup. I think it's fair to say he's a work in progress who may turn out very good or get stuck where he is or regress when there's a lot of film on him. He doesn't have the pedigree of Luck or the mobility of the other three though. Of course, Brady was drafted in the sixth so who can say?
xsv
QUOTE (snowylad @ Nov 11 2013, 07:05 AM) *

I put him behind all 4 guys, with Kapernick coming in 4th on that list, and Foles a little behind that.
Jax
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 11 2013, 09:31 AM) *
I put him behind all 4 guys, with Kapernick coming in 4th on that list, and Foles a little behind that.

At this point, the resume of Foles, Kapernick and RG3 are not as far off as many may think. Yes Kap had a playoff run so I give him credit there but he still has barely played 16 games as a starter, correct? RG made the playoffs but what is his career record and stats compared to Foles? Luck is further advanced at this point and Wilson somewhat also. I think Foles has as much upside as Wilson, Kap and RG. Who knows about Luck. I think Luck is very good.

I am speaking of top of my head here so if any of the stat people out there want to share RG, Kap and Foles stats to this point then that would be interesting.
mcnabbulous
There is no reason Foles isn't capable of winning a SB if we get the right pieces around him. Specifically improving our defense.

I'm already convinced that he's a better QB than Flacco. And that is a much more relevant comparison than Dilfer.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (snowylad @ Nov 11 2013, 08:05 AM) *

Luck
Wilson
Foles / RGIII (need more time to decide on these two)
Kaepernick
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 10 2013, 06:15 PM) *

He's got to show he can win a 'big game.' Every win is huge, but until he beats a top team under dire circumstances he'll never get everyone united behind him. Half the fanbase probably still wants to draft a QB next year.
Phits
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 11 2013, 12:05 PM) *
At this point, the resume of Foles, Kapernick and RG3 are not as far off as many may think. Yes Kap had a playoff run so I give him credit there but he still has barely played 16 games as a starter, correct? RG made the playoffs but what is his career record and stats compared to Foles? Luck is further advanced at this point and Wilson somewhat also. I think Foles has as much upside as Wilson, Kap and RG. Who knows about Luck. I think Luck is very good.

I am speaking of top of my head here so if any of the stat people out there want to share RG, Kap and Foles stats to this point then that would be interesting.

At this point, Wilson, Luck, Kap/RG3, Foles.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 11 2013, 09:09 AM) *
There is no reason Foles isn't capable of winning a SB if we get the right pieces around him. Specifically improving our defense.

I'm already convinced that he's a better QB than Flacco. And that is a much more relevant comparison than Dilfer.

Any QB has a chance of winning a Superbowl after Trent Dilfer did. Let us never forget
Phits
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 11 2013, 12:12 PM) *
he'll never get everyone united behind him.

Unfortunately, that's just the way it goes.
Eyrie
QUOTE (snowylad @ Nov 11 2013, 12:05 PM) *

Each of the QBs you mention can be a game changer. I don't think Foles will ever be at that level, but if he has the right players around him then he is certainly good enough to make this offense work. Good decisions, quick release and accurate - just what we need.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 11 2013, 01:13 PM) *
Any QB has a chance of winning a Superbowl after Trent Dilfer did. Let us never forget

Not true. The NFL was different then. That Ravens defense was dominating to unthinkable levels. QBs need to be able to capitalize on opportunities to a different level these days. The rules are too geared towards offenses.
snowylad
Thanks guys for your answers.

I hope, personally that Fowles is given the rest of the season to see what he can do with a good run leading the team.
snowylad
Thanks guys for your answers.

I hope, personally that Fowles is given the rest of the season to see what he can do with a good run leading the team.
Rick
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 11 2013, 12:12 PM) *
He's got to show he can win a 'big game.' Every win is huge, but until he beats a top team under dire circumstances he'll never get everyone united behind him. Half the fanbase probably still wants to draft a QB next year.

Agreed, however, he hasn't really been put in that situation yet (no, that Dallas game doesn't qualify, it was an early-season game not a game to decide going/not going to playoffs or a playoff game). It's looking like he may get an opportunity at a big game later this season. Looking like Dallas and us are on a collision course--let's hope so.

With that said, you can't knock the guy for beating bad teams when that's what he's playing.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 11 2013, 10:55 AM) *
Not true. The NFL was different then. That Ravens defense was dominating to unthinkable levels. QBs need to be able to capitalize on opportunities to a different level these days. The rules are too geared towards offenses.

Ben Roethilsberger's Super Bowl Winning Performance Would Like A Word With You...

9 Of 21, 123 Yards, 0 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions, 22.6 QBR = Super Bowl Champion QB

While we're at it let's send a memo down to the 9-0 undefeated Chiefs and let them know the NFL is different now and that method doesn't work anymore wink.gif

Because as of right now Foles has as many Touchdowns as the entire Chiefs Offense
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 11 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Ben Roethilsberger's Super Bowl Winning Performance Would Like A Word With You...

9 Of 21, 123 Yards, 0 Touchdowns, 2 Interceptions, 22.6 QBR = Super Bowl Champion QB

I didn't say you have to play like a star in the SB. You have to play like a good QB to win a SB. One of the biggest challenges to winning a SB is playing consistently well enough to get there. It was Donovan's biggest issue.

In the playoff games leading to the SB, Big Ben went 148, 95 and 124 as it relates to QBR.

Conversely, Dilfer went 118, 58, 83, and 80 while never throwing for more than 190 yards. You're not going to win a SB that way in this era.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 11 2013, 05:45 PM) *
While we're at it let's send a memo down to the 9-0 undefeated Chiefs and let them know the NFL is different now and that method doesn't work anymore wink.gif

Because as of right now Foles has nearly thrown for as many TDs as the entire Chiefs team have scored over the entire season.

The Chiefs won't be winning the SB if that is the kind of playoff production they get from Alex Smith. Rest assured.

And that's coming from the biggest Andyhead on this board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.