Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprising Team Stats
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Eagles at 413 ypg offense rank 4th in NFL.

With 25.0 pts per game, they rank 13th

On defense:
allowing 419.3 yds per game, which is dead last #32
at 25.9 ppg allowed, that is 21st.

Still plenty of room for improvement.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 9 2013, 08:36 PM) *

On defense:

I would be interested to see the defensive stats since that first Giants game.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 9 2013, 09:58 PM) *
I would be interested to see the defensive stats since that first Giants game.

Well, they allowed 560 yards to that juggernaut Oakland offense.

That can't be good.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 9 2013, 08:36 PM) *

On defense:

It's more important that ppg is going down. They have been between 15-20 for the last four games, that is far more important than useless yards given up. Reminds me of JJ's adage, don't give up more than 17.

More important, starting to see signs of what players might be staying, and there are more than I expected. Credit to our DC, this group is improving, playing better together and making more and more plays because of it. This is what I was hoping for, a season where the future is starting to look brighter.
Eyrie
I'm less interested in the yardage gained/conceded than the points scored/allowed, and we're middling for both.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 9 2013, 09:36 PM) *
On defense:

Diddy mentioned this yesterday on the radio. He said he was impressed with how the defense is improving and although they're not a top 10 defense he thinks they're much better than the #32 ranking because a lot of those yards are garbage yards at the end of the games the Eagles are winning. He said he likes what Davis is doing, adjusting the scheme to the players' strengths. He cited Cole, Hendricks and Cox as examples. Cole playing more with his hand on the ground inside, Hendricks blitzing and Cox ... I forget what he said Cox was doing differently. He also said the big hole for the defense is talent. He said playing Wolff more is helping the DB play ... said Wolff is coming along.

Respecting Diddy's opinions, I really came away from that segment pumped for the Eagles future. If Kelly can add another receiver and get consistency from QB the offense shouldn't be a problem. But if they can add a couple of key players on defense it looks like that side of the ball could show significant improvement next year. Billy Davis may not have been the weak hire so many viewed it as being.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 10 2013, 06:27 AM) *
Diddy mentioned this yesterday on the radio. He said he was impressed with how the defense is improving and although they're not a top 10 defense he thinks they're much better than the #32 ranking because a lot of those yards are garbage yards at the end of the games the Eagles are winning. He said he likes what Davis is doing, adjusting the scheme to the players' strengths. He cited Cole, Hendricks and Cox as examples. Cole playing more with his hand on the ground inside, Hendricks blitzing and Cox ... I forget what he said Cox was doing differently. He also said the big hole for the defense is talent. He said playing Wolff more is helping the DB play ... said Wolff is coming along.

Respecting Diddy's opinions, I really came away from that segment pumped for the Eagles future. If Kelly can add another receiver and get consistency from QB the offense shouldn't be a problem. But if they can add a couple of key players on defense it looks like that side of the ball could show significant improvement next year. Billy Davis may not have been the weak hire so many viewed it as being.

Yeah the unit has improved. While not a fan of the Davis hire, any time I hear the guy talk I am impressed. Very straightforward, humble likeable guy.
JeeQ
4 Wins, 5 Loses... Definitely room for improvement
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.