Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: One more reason I can't help but like Chip Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
Comments from Asshats

I can't recall EVER seeing this level of vitriol, dismissal, and disgust levied at any other rookie NFL coach. I can't help but like Chip more because of all these haters. From Phil Simms' utter nonsense about our "bottom 5" offense to these quotes, it's clear these folks want Chip's offense to fail. It's funny how the ultimate "good ole boy" bastions remaining in our society cling to their preciouses (said like Gollum). I can't wait to read these asshats in 3 years as they inevitably profess to have been a believer from day 1. I wonder if Bill Walsh received this level of push back when he came up.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 6 2013, 12:06 PM) *
Comments from Asshats
1. I wonder if Bill Walsh received this level of push back when he came up.

Doubtful, because as the other thread references...any asshat with a computer gets an opinion these days.

People want Chip to fail because he's shaking up the status quo. The NFL is a conservative league filled with idiots and nepotism. A guy that goes for it on 4th down is considered a "gambler" despite the fact that statistically it's been proven to make sense to do so.

The same illogical arguments about how to build a team are still dominating the league. It's why 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft were offensive linemen. It's the safe thing to do. I'm still bummed we were in on that backwards logic.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 6 2013, 12:06 PM) *
I wonder if Bill Walsh received this level of push back when he came up.

Prior to becoming SF's head coach, Bill Walsh had a decade of NFL experience, and worked under Paul Brown while developing the WCO. He wouldn't have been considered an upstart outsider the way Chip is, and by time anyone noticed what he was doing, he was winning Super Bowls. In fact, the only reason he ever went to Stanford to coach was because Paul Brown didn't want him to become HC of the Bengals. Apples and oranges.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2013, 05:30 PM) *
Doubtful, because as the other thread references...any asshat with a computer gets an opinion these days.

People want Chip to fail because he's shaking up the status quo. The NFL is a conservative league filled with idiots and nepotism. A guy that goes for it on 4th down is considered a "gambler" despite the fact that statistically it's been proven to make sense to do so.

The same illogical arguments about how to build a team are still dominating the league. It's why 3 of the top 4 picks in the draft were offensive linemen. It's the safe thing to do. I'm still bummed we were in on that backwards logic.

You still hatin on Lane Johnson? He's been all that and a bowl of grits!
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Nov 6 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Prior to becoming SF's head coach, Bill Walsh had a decade of NFL experience, and worked under Paul Brown while developing the WCO. He wouldn't have been considered an upstart outsider the way Chip is, and by time anyone noticed what he was doing, he was winning Super Bowls. In fact, the only reason he ever went to Stanford to coach was because Paul Brown didn't want him to become HC of the Bengals. Apples and oranges.

Excellent point.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2013, 12:30 PM) *

Well-said. I've been saying this kind of stuff to people for quite some time--especially going for it on 4th down.

Now, with that said, I'm not saying Chipper will succeed (or not). I was one of the people not happy we chose him. Not because of his offense, rather, because I wanted someone who would come in and build a defense to be proud of again and someone who had some experience in the NFL (based on the utter failure many college coaches making the jump have been). But I don't buy into the hype that his system can't work in the NFL...never did.

I have no idea whether Chipper will work out or not. As of right now, he's doing better than I had thought he would. So, as of right now, I was wrong to be so unhappy with them hiring him. But I was never a hater on him personally.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 6 2013, 01:53 PM) *
You still hatin on Lane Johnson? He's been all that and a bowl of grits!

He's been pretty awful this season, although he played well last week.

Even if he turns into a stud, which is possible, I still don't think there is enough value in having a stud tackle to warrant that high of a selection. I think you can get away with good along the offensive line. Barbre would be more than sufficient as our starting RT this season. We need stud playmakers on defense.
Dreagon
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 6 2013, 11:06 AM) *
Comments from Asshats

I can't recall EVER seeing this level of vitriol, dismissal, and disgust levied at any other rookie NFL coach. I can't help but like Chip more because of all these haters. From Phil Simms' utter nonsense about our "bottom 5" offense to these quotes, it's clear these folks want Chip's offense to fail. It's funny how the ultimate "good ole boy" bastions remaining in our society cling to their preciouses (said like Gollum). I can't wait to read these asshats in 3 years as they inevitably profess to have been a believer from day 1. I wonder if Bill Walsh received this level of push back when he came up.

I remember a rookie coach named Jimmy Johnson getting this kind of flak. He even had the misfortune of replacing a living legend at coach. But he started winning, and before long everything was forgiven. I think Kelly can do the same.
Jax
Phil Simms should stick to his genius of building Hall of Fame quarterbacks like Chris Simms.... oops.... although Chris was probably as good as his dad. Phils Simms gets a lot of credit for being good at handing off and letting his defense shut teams down. He was also pretty good at not turning the ball over and throwing passes within 10-15 yards. I'm not discrediting him but I don't think he was what I would call a great quarterback in the NFL.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I have no objection to anyone who makes their living, and is doing their job, by writing opinions. I'd prefer wherever possible those that do it, show reason for their opinion. As I began to read the attachments I gave up half way. I wasn't seeing anything plausible, just a lot of noise made by people who might have been paid by the word, or line, or whatever.

The way I see Chip is, I think he's his own man. And, being a duck, low opinions will roll off his back.

I'm enjoying what I'm seeing out of Chip. And I matter more than those writers, because I'm a card carrying committed fan of the Eagles. I'm enjoying what I'm seeing, with great anticipation regarding how his tenure might evolve and develop. Slowly, each week, I see something to like, a step forward. Except in that awful Dallas game, which is still a total mystery to me.

Bottom Line ... I'm a Chip fan willing to give him time and space to see where it all leads.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (Jax @ Nov 7 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Phil Simms should stick to his genius of building Hall of Fame quarterbacks like Chris Simms.... oops.... although Chris was probably as good as his dad. Phils Simms gets a lot of credit for being good at handing off and letting his defense shut teams down. He was also pretty good at not turning the ball over and throwing passes within 10-15 yards. I'm not discrediting him but I don't think he was what I would call a great quarterback in the NFL.

Simms harbors hard feelings for when Clyde Simmons used to turn him upside down and pile drive him into the Vet turf like a rag doll, causing many a separated shoulder for Simms.

Fuck him!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.