Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kelly's offense is vanilla, bottom 5 ...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Sure, I'm a DKD but as an objective person I'd have to say that it's way too early in Chip's NFL career to make any definite proclamation about his ultimate success/failure. In that vein, I found this to be comforting:
The Eagles offense played really well and it's wasn't because Kelly has a magic bag of tricks. It wasn't because Kelly's offense is a "gimmick" that has been "figured out". It's because the Eagles overcame the biggest problem that plagued their offense the past two weeks: a lack of execution, especially from the QB position.

The Eagles executed better because they had a quarterback who went out there and made the throws he needed to make. Sounds simple, but that's what it boils down to: fundamental football. The Eagles offense didn't struggle against Dallas and New York because those teams found a way to entirely shut it down. A closer review of the All-22 film confirms receivers were getting open, but the man responsible for getting the ball there wasn't getting the job done.

So when someone like Phil Simms calls the Eagles a "bottom five offense", or Warren Sapp predicts the Eagles to not even score a TD against the Raiders, or when Merrill Hoge deems Kelly's offense "vanilla", feel free to laugh, because Chip Kelly is pretty darn good at his job. Sunday was a perfect example.
mcnabbulous
Not to start some big thing, but I have been talking about execution for years, as it relates to what we were doing with Big Red. It's why I wasn't worried at all over the past few weeks, as it relates to Kelly's offense.

Guys need to step up. Whether it's a QB connecting with open receivers or defenders filling their lanes and making tackles. We simply haven't done a good enough job over the past few years. Part of it is a lack of talent and part a lack of discipline.

It's why I'm constantly clamoring for drafting a QB. In this era of NFL football, you need to capitalize on as many opportunities as possible. Even the best guys are going to make mistakes, but the frequency in which they overthrow open receivers or make the wrong read is dramatically less than what we have been putting out there for the past decade.

You can win a SB with a less than elite guy (see: Ravens) but if you want to consistently put yourself in a position to do so, you better have one. And the best way to win is to give yourself as many chances as possible. If the Ravens hadn't gotten theirs last year, things would be looking pretty grim.

With that said, Chip is going to be one of the best. Hopefully we'll get the guy we need to give us those chances. Maybe we already have him.
D Rock
You were never alone in beating that drum.

I've often said that "coaches can't go out there to block and tackle, it's up to the players to win their individual battle." No coach can scheme around a total lack of talent, want to, or know how. Never could. Never will. Sure, you can hide a single weak link in a secondary, but when both corners are phoning it in and both safeties suck (for example) even Jim Johnson in his prime couldn't scheme around that shit.

Bocadelphia Eagles John
Glad to see Foles send crow to Simms and company. His QB rating was as low as PERFECT !!! Great job kid .. hope to see you do well next week. And if you don't mind, I'm gonna take it one game at a time kind of deal, ok ?

GOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 5 2013, 05:19 PM) *
You were never alone in beating that drum.

I've often said that "coaches can't go out there to block and tackle, it's up to the players to win their individual battle." No coach can scheme around a total lack of talent, want to, or know how. Never could. Never will. Sure, you can hide a single weak link in a secondary, but when both corners are phoning it in and both safeties suck (for example) even Jim Johnson in his prime couldn't scheme around that shit.

How do you explain the Saints performance with Sean Payton vs without?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 6 2013, 08:20 PM) *
How do you explain the Saints performance with Sean Payton vs without?

You're talking about a different scenario. The Saints are a proven quality team with a great QB. When in the hands of bad coaching (and their defense was historically bad) they suffered.
In the hands of good coaching, they are proving again to be a quality team.
That is different than a bad team without a QB being able to succeed with good coaching.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2013, 07:45 PM) *
You're talking about a different scenario. The Saints are a proven quality team with a great QB. When in the hands of bad coaching (and their defense was historically bad) they suffered.
In the hands of good coaching, they are proving again to be a quality team.
That is different than a bad team without a QB being able to succeed with good coaching.

You're only a good team when you win, otherwise it's just talent. Getting the most out of your players is the coaches responsibility. This is part of the reason why that dog sh*t player suddenly finds a way to play under a new coach and/or vice versa,...that great player was great under one coach and turns to dog sh*t under another.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 7 2013, 01:12 AM) *
You're only a good team when you win, otherwise it's just talent. Getting the most out of your players is the coaches responsibility. This is part of the reason why that dog sh*t player suddenly finds a way to play under a new coach and/or vice versa,...that great player was great under one coach and turns to dog sh*t under another.

I have to agree with this.

No, the Eagles don't have all of the talent we'd like. Yes, the players do still have to go out and make a play. However, certain coaches are better at getting players to go out and make a play--regardless of skill level--than others. That's what sets great coaches apart from the rest.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 7 2013, 01:12 AM) *

Well, if you're going to credit a coach on the Saints, it shouldn't be Sean Payton. Their defense is giving up an astonishing 10 fewer points per game this year than last.

Their offense didn't miss a beat without Payton.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 7 2013, 09:11 AM) *
Well, if you're going to credit a coach on the Saints, it shouldn't be Sean Payton. Their defense is giving up an astonishing 10 fewer points per game this year than last.

Their offense didn't miss a beat without Payton.

That would be the equivalent of not giving Coach Reid for KC's turn around. The Chiefs offense looks very disjointed.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 7 2013, 02:36 PM) *
That would be the equivalent of not giving Coach Reid for KC's turn around. The Chiefs offense looks very disjointed.

Well, they're averaging 10 more ppg than they did last year. So he's obviously done something right. Jamal Charles does lead the league in yards from scrimmage.

I'll be honest, I caught their game this past weekend , as they were shown locally. I was astonished with how poorly Alex Smith threw the ball. Obviously he's not expected to make the big throws, but he was wildly inaccurate on typical west coast timing routes. Even on balls that he was completing, he wasn't giving his receivers any YAC opportunities. It was extremely surprising.

As for the Saints, their situation last year was impacted by more than losing their HC. That organization was in turmoil. I wouldn't be surprised if we see similar chaos in Miami in the near future.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.