Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reports of the demise of the season
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
IDK what was ailing Foles against the boys, but for nearly 2 1/2 games he has played lights out football...

Gotta shake the Linc jinx, we r going to be 4-1 on the road after today.
mcnabbulous
The NFC is really mediocre. If we get consistency from Foles at QB, we can compete with anyone. Hopefully we'll get on a little roll here.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 3 2013, 06:30 PM) *
The NFC is really mediocre. If we get consistency from Foles at QB, we can compete with anyone. Hopefully we'll get on a little roll here.

Next week at GB will tell us a lot, W or L, I am just looking for Foles to keep up the good play.
Chip Kelly
The groin injury really affected him vs Dallas. He's obviously back to 100%.
Bez
Good to see some optimism .
Zero
QUOTE (Bez @ Nov 3 2013, 09:05 PM) *
Good to see some optimism .

Optimism? As bad as Foles played against Dallas was as good as he played against Oakland. Was he hurting for the Dallas game or on drugs today? This isn't optimism, this is bi-polar football.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 3 2013, 05:09 PM) *
Optimism? As bad as Foles played against Dallas was as good as he played against Oakland. Was he hurting for the Dallas game or on drugs today? This isn't optimism, this is bi-polar football.

One Team Is The Dallas Cowboys (Divisional Rival, Divisional Leader, Competitive)

One Team Is The Oakland Raiders (Cellar Dwellers, Worst In Division, Joke Of The League)

Nothing More To It

We Have To Come Out And Beat A Quality Team At Least Once This Season
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 4 2013, 01:14 AM) *
One Team Is The Dallas Cowboys (Divisional Rival, Divisional Leader, Competitive)

One Team Is The Oakland Raiders (Cellar Dwellers, Worst In Division, Joke Of The League)

Nothing More To It

Nothing more to it indeed. Including truth. None of that either. That Dallas d was awful and the raiders d top 10.

Dood had a shit game against Dallas. He beat the shit out of two top 10 defenses and shit the bed against a depleted Boiz team in fashion that is totally inexplicable.

But it had nothing to do with Dallas being anything special or Oakland sucking. Because that d had been playing very well going in.
Phits
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 3 2013, 09:22 PM) *
Nothing more to it indeed. Including truth. None of that either. That Dallas d was awful and the raiders d top 10.

Dood had a shit game against Dallas. He beat the shit out of two top 10 defenses and shit the bed against a depleted Boiz team in fashion that is totally inexplicable.

But it had nothing to do with Dallas being anything special or Oakland sucking. Because that d had been playing very well going in.

Yep.
bwc2112
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 3 2013, 08:14 PM) *

Nothing More To It

A friend of mine just read your post and is offended, he is a Buckaneers fan and said Joke of The league is his and is proud to say they are "Defeated" . BTW the others are true.
Bez
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 3 2013, 09:09 PM) *
Hey , it was a phenom game and I am happy for everyone concerned .
JeeQ
This Top Ten Offense/Defense nonsense is nothing more than a fluff stat

The Buccaneers Have A Top Ten Defense! They also haven't one a single fucking game this year!

The Raiders Have A Top Ten Defense! They're also sitting at the bottom of their fucking division!

The Kansas City Chiefs Have A Bottom Ten Offense! They're fucking undefeated!

Dallas is a better team because Dallas is a better team. Throw all the stats at me you want, they're a better team than the Raiders and Buccaneers all day, every day.

The Packers don't have a top ten defense so Foles should absolutely destroy them, right? I mean the Buccaneers/Raiders are top ten and he obliterated them, so the Packers are going to be a walk in the park by that logic.

The only stats that matters are Wins and Loses, and by that logic the Buccaneers/Raiders are sitting at the bottom, and the Cowboys/Packers are sitting at the top
JeeQ
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Nov 3 2013, 06:02 PM) *
A friend of mine just read your post and is offended, he is a Buckaneers fan and said Joke of The league is his and is proud to say they are "Defeated" . BTW the others are true.

You can't just have one bad season and declare yourself Joke Of The League. The Raiders have been doing this for years! They've perfected it into a science! There at the point where every win is equivalent to a Super Bowl victory.
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 3 2013, 11:28 PM) *
The only stats that matters are Wins and Loses, and by that logic the Buccaneers/Raiders are sitting at the bottom, and the Cowboys/Packers are sitting at the top

Exactly, and yesterday, Foles got the win. And his win/loss record this season is the best of any QB on the roster at the moment. So what's your point?
D Rock
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 4 2013, 03:28 AM) *
This Top Ten Offense/Defense nonsense is nothing more than a fluff stat

laugh.gif
sure it is.
D Rock
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 4 2013, 11:42 AM) *
Exactly, and yesterday, Foles got the win. And his win/loss record this season is the best of any QB on the roster at the moment. So what's your point?

According to this jeeq, Foles wins mean nothing because . . . you know . . . they only came against winless teams despite the fact that they were against top 10 defenses.

Because the ONLY thing that matters is wins, unless of course you're talking about Foles' wins. Then the only thing that matters is apparently the other teams win/loss record.

Fucking brilliant, no?

laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
It's all about consistency. Foles needs to come out and play to win against GB. I don't expect us to win that game, but he needs to keep us in it. He has no excuse otherwise.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was injured vs. Dallas.

Sunday is a big day for Foles and our defense.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2013, 04:36 PM) *
It's all about consistency. Foles needs to come out and play to win against GB. I don't expect us to win that game, but he needs to keep us in it. He has no excuse otherwise.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he was injured vs. Dallas.

Sunday is a big day for Foles and our defense.

I agree, but feel the need to say . . .

"Consistency was NEVER an issue for Supa5 or MV7 supporters." Their wildly inconsistent natures were ignored by those who believed them actual QUARTERBACKS for the past 15 years in Iggle Land.

I'm 100% sold on Nick Foles. He had a shit game vs. Dullass. But beyond that, has been a legitimate NFL quarterback which is something we've not had in Green for over a decade.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2013, 12:52 PM) *
"Consistency was NEVER an issue for Supa5 or MV7 supporters." Their wildly inconsistent natures were ignored by those who believed them actual QUARTERBACKS for the past 15 years in Iggle Land.

How anyone can expect to win a SB without consistency at QB is beyond me. I'm reserving judgement on Foles until I see him do it a few more times.

I've always loved his pocket presence, which I think is right up there with accuracy as the most important trait a QB can offer. It actually may be more important. I wanted him to prove the ability to throw the ball down the field, which he quite clearly did yesterday.

I'd love nothing more than for Foles to develop into a stud. I'm not going to be satisfied with a game manager. I want one of the top guys. Until we have that, I'll keep looking. Maybe, just maybe...Foles has it in him.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Rick @ Nov 4 2013, 03:42 AM) *

The same point I've always been making Scooby, we need to beat a team with a record of .500 or better.

The winless Buccaneers, the winless Giants, the worst in division Raiders, and our home opener against the Redskins. Zero wins over winning teams.

QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2013, 06:47 AM) *
According to this jeeq, Foles wins mean nothing because . . . you know . . . they only came against winless teams despite the fact that they were against top 10 defenses.

Because the ONLY thing that matters is wins, unless of course you're talking about Foles' wins. Then the only thing that matters is apparently the other teams win/loss record.

Fucking brilliant, no?

laugh.gif

Your problem is you refuse to look at the Raiders/Buccaneers as the terrible teams they are. You try to validate it by saying "But... But... They Have A Top Ten Defense" So what? Funny how that Top Ten Defense isn't stopping anyone from kicking their ass each and every Sunday.

Then in the same turn you say Dallas is the actual terrible team. Who coincidentally happens to be the team leading our division, the only one with a winning record, and the team who made Foles look like the worst QB in existence. All this without a Top Ten Defense! How can this be?!

Your 100% sold on Foles, good for you. But I can't be 100% sold on a QB who has yet to beat a team with a winning record.

I keep hoping Foles will come out and shut me up. It'd be the best crow sandwich ever. To know we have our QBOTF now and don't have to play the draft lottery. But until then I'll be watching next Sunday praying he doesn't channel his performance in Dallas.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 4 2013, 12:21 PM) *
Then in the same turn you say Dallas is the actual terrible team. Who coincidentally happens to be the team leading our division, the only one with a winning record, and the team who made Foles look like the worst QB in existence. All this without a Top Ten Defense! How can this be?!

Foles made himself look like the worst QB in existence. Dallas had nothing to do with it. He missed open passes all day long and failed to see wide open receivers. I don't know what it was, but it wasn't some fine performance by the Cowboys defense.

I agree with your overall point, though. It's easier to play well against bad teams (regardless of their defensive ranking) because the pressure to be great is significantly less. It's another to go blow for blow with the likes of Rodgers, Manning or Brady.

Foles gets his shot this week. He better step up.
Rick
So let me make sure I have this right...

Because we beat (and beat up for the most part) teams which we should beat, we should look down upon those wins. Makes perfect sense to me. rolleyes.gif

Since most of our schedule this season has been against bad teams--and will continue to be that way because the NFC East (whom we play most of our games against), well, sucks--I'm not really sure what would make people happy. How many, "good," teams do we have left on the schedule?

Am I 100% sold on Foles? Not yet. He is still young and we still haven't learned whether he has, "it," or not. The inconsistency bothers be because I just don't like inconsistency, however, let's not forget we're not talking about a veteran here. He's not even 2 years in the league at this point. I'd expect some inconsistency in his play. His egg against the Cowboys was REALLY bad, however, having seen him as much as we have, we know he isn't as bad as he showed in that game. As I said elsewhere, he's also not as good as what he showed yesterday (more than likely). What we do know is he seems to be extremely accurate and seems to be making better and better decisions each time he steps on the field. At this point nobody knows how good--or bad--he will be. He still has to develop more. I think allowing him the rest of the season to see how his development comes along is vital to knowing what this team needs to do in the offseason.

Vick is NOT the QB for this team...PERIOD. What I mean is, he isn't gonna bring this team to where we want it to be. People need to stop holding out hope for that guy. Foles may not be either but we don't know just yet. We need to get an idea whether we feel he is that guy or not so we know if we need to look at drafting our guy or not.

I don't know what other QBs who've lasted in the league have looked like in their first year and a half (and let's not forget he didn't start the whole season last season either) in the league. I'm guessing that some very good QBs probably didn't look perfect their first few seasons in the league. So why not cut him the same slack so many of you are willing to cut Vick? Let's see how he pans out then we can praise him or knock him.
mcnabbulous
I swear to god, you can't read. I'm convinced of it at this point. Either that, or you have no reading comprehension skills.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2013, 04:59 PM) *
How anyone can expect to win a SB without consistency at QB is beyond me. I'm reserving judgement on Foles until I see him do it a few more times.

I agree we need consistency and have been by far the loudest voice crying for it for a decade now.

Im merely pointing out in this thread how suddenly that's being mentioned as a great need while the concept was ignored for 14 years of Mac5 and MV7.

It's funny to me. But we are on the same page that it's a requirement.

D Rock
No offense faces an entire team. Offenses play against defenses. Win/loss record has no bearing on the quality or lack of quality a defense presents to an offense.

You can't dismiss an offense putting up a 50 burger on a defense that hadn't allowed 20 points all year.

Foles didn't have to go against that shit offense in Tampon or the Raiders.
Eyrie
Must be something wrong with my monitor - it looks like mcnabbulous and DRock agree on something! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing Foles in the next two games before the bye. Those will give us a better understanding of where he is at and where he can reach. I'm in agreement with everyone else here that consistently good play from the QB is more important than a mix of highs and lows.

But yesterday showed what the Kelly offense needs to be at its best - the QB making good decisions and accurate throws.

As regards the debate about top ten defences, are those rankings based on yards conceded or points allowed? Because the former is meaningless.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 4 2013, 01:59 PM) *
No offense faces an entire team. Offenses play against defenses. Win/loss record has no bearing on the quality or lack of quality a defense presents to an offense.

Agreed, but there is something to be said for a guy showing up when he knows he's got to go blow for blow with another great offense. We haven't seen that yet from Foles.

Frankly, I'll be more impressed by him leading us to a close loss in a shootout to a team like Green Bay than a blowout win against Tampa. At this point, my biggest concern is the fact that in the biggest game of the season, he didn't show up. It wasn't like he just played poorly. He actively lost us the Dallas game. As I said, I'll just assume he was injured, because that performance simply doesn't add up.

Here's to hoping we get a glimpse this week.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 4 2013, 02:11 PM) *
Must be something wrong with my monitor - it looks like mcnabbulous and DRock agree on something! biggrin.gif

We actually agreed on most everything until Geno Smith came into our lives. It's been downhill since then.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2013, 07:52 PM) *
We actually agreed on most everything until Geno Smith came into our lives. It's been downhill since then.

indeed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.