Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles trade Isaac Sopoaga to Pats
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
The Eagles have traded defensive tackle Isaac Sopoaga and a 2014 sixth-round pick to New England for a 2014 fifth-round pick just minutes before Tuesday's trade deadline.
Here ...

Guess he served his purpose and they're looking at next year's draft.
nephillymike
So he was worth a move up of approx. 1/2 round of picks? (ie from approx 10th pick in 6th to approx. 20th pick in 5th.

Speaks volumes of how bad our GM did.

I wonder what the pick value is for all of our other signings.

Methinks Howie just doesn't have it.

For those keeping score, we do have $20+M left of cap space. So glad we had no talent gaps to fill.
mcnabbulous
I would have to think Sopoaga was vouched for by the guy that came over from SF. Can't think of his name off-hand.
TGryn
No big loss, he was getting pushed around out there. Would rather give the time to Logan and see what we have. It also frees up a roster spot, perhaps to develop someone who could help us next year.
koolaidluke
as far as I know the new CBA says you have to spend all your cap space, so I suspect every penny of that 20 mil to go to extensions.

Which brings up the question, which of the major contributors on our roster right now do we want/expect to be Eagles long term?

Offense: Avant, Jackson, Peters, Cooper, McCoy, Kelce, Mathis, Peters, Celek
maybe's: Barkley, Johnson, Ertz, Brown

Defense: Thornton, Cox, Curry, Barwin, Williams, Boykin
maybe's: Fletcher, Graham, Allen, Wolffe

I guess that is an okay core to work with. The team desperately needs a QB though. He doesn't need to be able to run and he doesn't need to be a stud, but without competent QB play this team isn't going back to the playoffs.
JeeQ
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 29 2013, 06:34 PM) *
Offense: Avant, Jackson, Peters, Cooper, McCoy, Kelce, Mathis, Celek
maybe's: Barkley, Lane Johnson, Ertz, Brown

maybe's: Fletcher, Graham, Allen, Wolff

That is all
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 30 2013, 12:39 AM) *
I would have to think Sopoaga was vouched for by the guy that came over from SF. Can't think of his name off-hand.

Tom Gamble.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 29 2013, 09:34 PM) *
major contributors on our roster right now

Offense: Avant, Jackson, Peters, Cooper, McCoy, Kelce, Mathis, Peters, Celek
maybe's: Barkley, Johnson, Ertz, Brown

maybe's: Fletcher, Graham, Allen, Wolffe

I guess that is an okay core to work with. The team desperately needs a QB though. He doesn't need to be able to run and he doesn't need to be a stud, but without competent QB play this team isn't going back to the playoffs.

TGryn
Our guys who are FA after the season and therefore extension possibilities are Vick, Cooper, Maclin, Thornton, Geathers, Allen, Coleman, and D. Jones. Of those, I'd put the priorities as Maclin, Thornton, and possibly Jones (great this year, but also age 33), and I don't know that either the team or Maclin would want to sign a long-term extension until his health status is firmer. I see Cooper as a ST guy who's starting by default, and while Allen looks better in the new scheme I don't know how much better.

They could also extend guys who have more than a year left on their contracts, which opens up the field quite a bit.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 30 2013, 09:53 AM) *
Our guys who are FA after the season and therefore extension possibilities are Vick, Cooper, Maclin, Thornton, Geathers, Allen, Coleman, and D. Jones. Of those, I'd put the priorities as Maclin, Thornton, and possibly Jones (great this year, but also age 33), and I don't know that either the team or Maclin would want to sign a long-term extension until his health status is firmer. I see Cooper as a ST guy who's starting by default, and while Allen looks better in the new scheme I don't know how much better.

They could also extend guys who have more than a year left on their contracts, which opens up the field quite a bit.

I can't see them extending Vick, Cooper or Allen. Maclin could get a one year deal, Thornton should be rewarded and Coleman is a decent backup and ST player.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 30 2013, 08:49 PM) *
I can't see them extending Vick, Cooper or Allen. Maclin could get a one year deal, Thornton should be rewarded and Coleman is a decent backup and ST player.

I didn't see them keeping Vick this season so who knows.

I'd like to see Maclin back, however, not sure what you pay him to keep him if others come calling.

I couldn't care less about the other guys.
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 31 2013, 06:56 AM) *
I couldn't care less about the other guys.

Thorton's playing well.
TGryn
Easterbrook on the trade:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9927893/...ng-one-nfl-best
Why the Eagles, ranked last in defense, should be trading a defensive starter for next to nothing is anyone's guess. Looks like neophyte Kelly got snookered by veteran Belichick. The trade may become another knock against the former Oregon coach. First Kelly's offense show signs of being a flash in the pan, then Kelly can't make up his mind about quarterbacks, next he's fleeced in a trade. Maybe Kelly can get Nicholls State, Oregon's 2013 opening opponent, on the Eagles' schedule for next year. And don't we wish Nicholls State played Nichols College.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (TGryn @ Nov 5 2013, 04:39 PM) *

What an idiot. Sopoaga was awful. How we got "snookered" by trading a bad player is beyond me. We got snookered by signing him in the first place.

As if Belichick has proven himself to be anything other than a completely mediocre GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.