Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I think Barkley is something like 6 out of 10
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
6 of the 10 drives in his pro career have ended in a turnover.

That is not very promising.
Jax
X,

To me Barkley isn't even a consideration to be the starting QB of this team. As far as backup QB goes, I will take an AJ Feeley type over Barkley. I know some are still going to argue that barkley hasn't had enough opportunity but I am willing to take the chance that he becomes a Pro-Bowler for someone else.
TGryn
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 28 2013, 06:06 AM) *
To me Barkley isn't even a consideration to be the starting QB of this team. As far as backup QB goes, I will take an AJ Feeley type over Barkley. I know some are still going to argue that barkley hasn't had enough opportunity but I am willing to take the chance that he becomes a Pro-Bowler for someone else.
As the roster stands now, the "someone else" has to be Kinne, assuming both Vick and Foles are out for a few more weeks. There's nobody else walking through the door, at least until next year's draft.

I say give Barkley the rest of the year and reevaluate then. He's a rookie QB, and when you play a rookie QB, you'll get batches of INTs. Recent rookie phenoms like Newton and RGIII did it mainly by offering a running threat; Luck's rookie year was very up-and-down in terms of TDs-to-INTs, as was Peyton's and McNabb's. Unless you've got one of those special QBs who can just take over a game with his running, there's no choice but to be patient as the rookie learns on the field how to read NFL defenses.
Rick
Why are we not looking to sign someone else? I realize there isn't much available (i.e. not on another roster) but there are always guys trying to make it.

I also am not saying they would find someone who would lead us to the SB or anything but, at this point, we need warm bodies. What if Barkley had gone down yesterday? It's not looking like Vick is going to be healthy for a while (no shocker there) and who knows whether Foles will be back right away or not. We have ourselves a serious problem at QB.

If we decide we want to try and make a run at the NFC East this season then we need to get someone who has some NFL experience. Barkley isn't gonna get it done (obviously). So, even if Foles comes back and plays well, we still need a backup who won't lose the game for us.

I don't know who is available but someone is better than no one...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 28 2013, 01:40 PM) *
Why are we not looking to sign someone else? I realize there isn't much available (i.e. not on another roster) but there are always guys trying to make it.

I also am not saying they would find someone who would lead us to the SB or anything but, at this point, we need warm bodies. What if Barkley had gone down yesterday? It's not looking like Vick is going to be healthy for a while (no shocker there) and who knows whether Foles will be back right away or not. We have ourselves a serious problem at QB.

If we decide we want to try and make a run at the NFC East this season then we need to get someone who has some NFL experience. Barkley isn't gonna get it done (obviously). So, even if Foles comes back and plays well, we still need a backup who won't lose the game for us.

We have Kinne on the roster. Team's rarely dress 3 QB's for a game. If we lose our first and second string QB's for an extensive time period, we have no chance of winning the division. So this is a moot conversation.
It makes absolutely no sense to kick a rookie to the curb, despite struggles, for some journeyman veteran.

Name one team in the NFL that would feel good about throwing their third string QB into the mix and expect them to lead a playoff push.

The fact that Andy was able to pull it off with AJ Feeley in 2002 is a testament to his caliber of coaching and how good our team was that season. It was the best Eagles team I've ever seen.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 28 2013, 02:47 PM) *
The fact that Andy was able to pull it off with AJ Feeley in 2002 is a testament to his caliber of coaching and how good our team was that season. It was the best Eagles team I've ever seen.

that 2002 team should have been it. the "shut up" season. worst ending to a season ever.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Oct 28 2013, 02:23 PM) *
that 2002 team should have been it. the "shut up" season. worst ending to a season ever.

Donovan breaking his leg is the only thing that kept us from winning that year. He simply wasn't the same guy in the playoffs that had terrorized the Bucs the two previous seasons.

Had it not been the playoffs, Donovan wouldn't have been playing.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 28 2013, 02:40 PM) *

It's "Be Kind To The Old" month. Sign Jeff Garcia.

Could you imagine ?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 28 2013, 02:47 PM) *
Name one team in the NFL that would feel good about throwing their third string QB into the mix and expect them to lead a playoff push.

This is true. I get that the team would benefit from making the playoffs and experiencing the different level of intensity that comes in those games and it would have been nice to see that happen. But it seems Vick is what people believed him to be, an immensely talented football player who is victim of that talent and can't stay healthy. That Foles may have choked against the Cowboys doesn't bode well for him either.

Regardless, these are the three QBs who were the team's top three in OTA's and TC. Barkley is the next man up and although he may not lead the team to W's it benefits the Eagles to have him take the #1 snaps in practice and learn the game on the field. If he progresses and surprises all the doubters it's good. If he continues his abyssmalness the team will know that they can't rely on him and will need to look to the draft.

The really sad thing for me is Foles. I didn't expect Vick to stay healthy and I had doubts that the defense would progress like they appear to have. I did think that Foles could be a capable starter and I'm very disappointed about the way he handled the pressure of a must win game.

No brainer, if Vick and Foles can't play it's step-up-Barkley time!
Rick
While I understand most teams don't dress 3 QBs, when you've got Unbreakable (Vick) at QB, you need to have a backup plan.

Also, I didn't say kick anyone to the curb. But, if you think this team is a playoff team with Barkley at QB then there really isn't much to talk about. We're not even a playoff team with our QBs healthy (it seems).
Rick
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Oct 29 2013, 12:38 AM) *
It's "Be Kind To The Old" month. Sign Jeff Garcia.

Could you imagine ?

I was thinking Vinny Testaverde. wink.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 29 2013, 09:29 AM) *
Also, I didn't say kick anyone to the curb. But, if you think this team is a playoff team with Barkley at QB then there really isn't much to talk about. We're not even a playoff team with our QBs healthy (it seems).

So you think signing someone like David Carr is going to get us over the top? Like I said, if you're counting on your third string QB, your hope is gone.

The season is over. The small chance we had at making a run popped with Vick's hamstring.
TGryn
I think Kinne is the better practice squad QB, since he's versatile enough to play almost every position in practice, but Dennis Dixon's more familiar with the offense and is more mobile. However, neither have much of a ceiling beyond being third-string NFL QBs, which is why both were on the street for weeks after being cut and are now on PS (Dixon is on the Bills' practice squad).
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 29 2013, 10:36 AM) *
So you think signing someone like David Carr is going to get us over the top? Like I said, if you're counting on your third string QB, your hope is gone.

The season is over. The small chance we had at making a run popped with Vick's hamstring.

No. I never said--nor implied--signing someone would put us over the top. In fact, I don't care if Vick is healthy, I still don't think we have a shot at much of anything. But I digress.

My point is, we need someone just in case. Hell, let Barkley finish the season as starter, I don't care but who is he gonna learn from? Having a veteran QB (who is playing) isn't a bad thing for young players.

We have a lot of other issues besides QB with this team. But we can (at least) help out our young QBs to (maybe) allow them to succeed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.