Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is Your Rating of Chip Kelly?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
What do you make of Chip Kelly so far?

All things considered: expectations, talent, results, communication, innovation, leadership, time mgt, play calling etc.

1-10, with 10 being the best, 5 being average and so on.

After what you expected through seven games when they hired him in January, how's he doing?

Personally, I give him an 8.

I was expecting .500 season with some upside potential.

I was expecting innovation on offense.

I was expecting not to be insulted every time he opened his mouth.

I was expecting near average defense.

Except for the defense and some time mgt glitches, which may come soon, I think he's done a solid job vs. my expectations.

Anyone?
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I don't want to rate him , it's way too soon.

I'm in his corner and he deserves an initial pass without any report cards. I'll leave it to himself to judge his own overall performance. I can already see he wants to innovate . Just like a rookie player, he too has to adjust to the entire situation with NFL vs. his background in NCAAF.

He had success at Oregon, so we have to see if he can handle NFL. So far he looks comfortable and talks confidently with quick thought and pace. I'll be in a better position to express some accountable rating once we've completed all 16 games.

And if it's true that a guy like Bill Belichek apparantly reached out to him on some football pointers, well, let's just say ... that's something.
samaroo
I'd agree with most of this.

I didn't "expect" a .500 season, but I hoped for it. And I did expect offensive innovation, I just didn't expect it to work as well as it has. I will say that he set the bar pretty high in week 1, and hasn't hit that again. I'm still not really sure why. I've seen a bunch of different opinions on why, but I don't think anyone knows outside his office.

I'm very pleased with Chip so far. I was disappointed when he was hired (I wanted Bradley), especially after the initial turn-down, but couldn't be happier. He is a cold glass of water after several long years of thirst.
Zero
He's still a rookie but showing better than most rookies. They say give a rook two years to prove his worth and Chip's had a few games and improving. Good sign.
CT_Eagle
Overall I am happy with his performance so far. A few game day screw ups but he has not repeated any of them. It seems the offensive players have bought into his scheme. I think the player's overall are in his corner and working hard for him. It will be interesting to see if his offense can continue to be productive against the better teams now that there is plenty of tape on him. We already know the offense can struggle when the defense puts a safety on top of DJax. I am looking forward to seeing if he can coach his way out of that one.
Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 24 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Personally, I give him an 8.

I agree that it is a little too early to say but I would say probably a notch lower.
Rick
I think her's doing a bit better than I expected. I'd like to see him get back to those crazy formations which worked so well earlier this season (on offense) but, other than that, I think he's done not so bad. I feel like he can be successful once he gets some good personnel on the field on defense and we get our QB situation sorted out (another good receiver would be useful as well).

I will say I wasn't happy when they chose him but I'm warming up to him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 24 2013, 10:30 PM) *
What do you make of Chip Kelly so far?

He's been engaging with the fans and the media, and that's a huge upgrade from last year. His system is new and exciting (when they aren't scoring 3 points), and we have a shot at a division title, albeit in a horrible division. This is his honeymoon year anyway, so I'm happy right now.
mcnabbulous
I'd give him a 7. I still question the DC hire, but I think his coaching/scheme on offense have been awesome. I can't blame him when his backup QB goes out and shits the bed.

I really hope he ultimately gets his QB.
Dreagon
Well, he has already gotten 3 out of the 4 wins you guys had last year, and it's only midseason. That indicates to me that he at least has things going in the right direction.
D Rock
I give him an 8.

A few clock gaffes and wonky red flags, but for the most part . . . his system seems to be NFL ready. The offense is putting up record production. I can't question the Defensive coordinator choice so long as we're fielding JV level talent. It's not like Davis & Kelly can go out there and tackle or cover anybody. They're not going to run out and rush the passer.

In fact, that the defense is improving from laughable to just plain bad, gives me hope that Davis knows what he's doing.

If Chip were going to wash out like Steve "the old balls coach" Superior, it'd already be readily apparent.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 25 2013, 11:08 AM) *
Well, he has already gotten 3 out of the 4 wins you guys had last year, and it's only midseason. That indicates to me that he at least has things going in the right direction.

Last year's team was in much worse shape by midseason than this roster. The OL was an absolute laughing stock. And that doesn't include Peters missing the entire season.

Despite being unimpressive in victory, that team still started the season 3-1. At full strength, it was probably about a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

Eyrie
I'd grade him "Incomplete but promising" at this stage. Need a bigger sample size first.
Wheeljack
Incomplete.

He shows promise. But this team is not ready for prime time.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2013, 11:46 AM) *
I'd give him a 7. I still question the DC hire, but I think his coaching/scheme on offense have been awesome. I can't blame him when his backup QB goes out and shits the bed.

I really hope he ultimately gets his QB.

I agree. I just don't believe I want John Football at this point. Mariotta seems to be what Chip would want but we won't pick that high and I'm not sure we should trade up?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 26 2013, 07:52 AM) *
I just don't believe I want John Football at this point.
You should watch him play today and see if you feel the same way. He'd be perfect for our offense.

Edit: 10-10, 70 yards and a TD on the opening drive. Ball has much more velocity than I had expected, especially because he was questionable with a shoulder injury.
MistahNickells
I'll wait until he has all his personnel in then I will judge chip but so far I have not been too disappointed 8 seems about right as of now.
bwc2112
I give a solid 8.
Win, lose, draw. I see something out of our players that has been 3-4 years dry.
On Monday I get to join the 50 yr. old club which means I have been a solid Eagles Fan for 41 years.
We needed new blood a change, I believe we got it. And a good one at that.
I appreciate almost all of our past coaches. Most did well or tried. Andy did well, just as Buddy,Dick, and all before. Chip brings a level of unpredictability with him that we need. Andy got to predictable and starting hurting us. He is now in a different conference and division and doing well. What happens when they figure him out, like they did us?

I got Chips back, Building a team ain't easy. With time I believe he will be one of our best.

EAGLES STRONG FOREVER
Fuck YA, 50 yes but I ain't Dead yet!
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 26 2013, 08:52 AM) *
I agree. I just don't believe I want John Football at this point. Mariotta seems to be what Chip would want but we won't pick that high and I'm not sure we should trade up?

I still don't understand why a few people have said this about that kid. He certainly seems like a baller. I'd be happy to have him behind center here. But I doubt it'll happen.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 26 2013, 04:15 PM) *
I still don't understand why a few people have said this about that kid. He certainly seems like a baller. I'd be happy to have him behind center here. But I doubt it'll happen.

Because he's a college kid who likes to party. It's silly. I just saw today that he surpassed 8,000 total yards today. He's mid way through his second season.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 26 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Because he's a college kid who likes to party. It's silly.

That's what I was getting at. It is beyond silly.
Zero
QUOTE (bwc2112 @ Oct 26 2013, 04:58 PM) *
I appreciate almost all of our past coaches. Most did well or tried.

Kotite???
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 27 2013, 06:23 AM) *
Kotite???

His teams always left nothing in the locker room. biggrin.gif
bwc2112
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 27 2013, 07:23 AM) *
Kotite???

Key word Almost all.....
Chip Kelly
Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I give him a 4. His clock management is terrible, some of the decisions are just mind boggling, and his offence doesn't look very "revolutionary" to me.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Chip Kelly @ Oct 27 2013, 08:04 PM) *
Maybe I'm being too harsh, but I give him a 4. His clock management is terrible, some of the decisions are just mind boggling, and his offence doesn't look very "revolutionary" to me.

And so it begins
Chip Kelly
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 27 2013, 11:15 PM) *
And so it begins

I'm not saying fire him, I'm just really underwhelmed at this point in time. I think we all are. Maybe I could give the offence a bit of a break given that they don't really have much talent, but some of his decisions are real head scratchers.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 25 2013, 12:17 PM) *
Last year's team was in much worse shape by midseason than this roster. The OL was an absolute laughing stock. And that doesn't include Peters missing the entire season.

Despite being unimpressive in victory, that team still started the season 3-1. At full strength, it was probably about a 7-9 or 8-8 team.

It was firing Castillo which made the wheels fall off. Worst coaching decision Reid ever made. That and his refusal to bench Bryce Brown and inability to rebuild the special teams were enough to make a team that should have been 10-6 into one that won 4 games.

As for Chip, let's see how the Eagles do against the Raiders before even making provisional judgments. These past two weeks it was abysmal QB play that sunk the Eagles. With QB play that bad, it is impossible to fairly evaluate the coach.
Phits
QUOTE (Chip Kelly @ Oct 27 2013, 09:04 PM) *
Maybe I'm being too harsh

Yes, you are.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Chip Kelly @ Oct 28 2013, 01:04 AM) *

What happened to the fast pace we saw against the Racially Insensitives? I can understand the read option not being an option with Foles or Barkley under centre, but we seem to be playing at the same pace as every other team.
Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 28 2013, 04:56 AM) *
What happened to the fast pace we saw against the Racially Insensitives? I can understand the read option not being an option with Foles or Barkley under centre, but we seem to be playing at the same pace as every other team.

I can't disagree with this. We also saw some crazy formations on offense that first half (or so) against the Redskins. We only see traditional formations now.

We have slowed down to be like every other team out there.

I'm wondering if Chipper is starting to believe the old school guard who keep saying his offense can't work in the NFL.

Bad QB play has really hurt us the past two weeks. Let's not forget the receivers are doing nothing to help their QBs out either.

The wheels have fallen off with this offense.
xsv
I'd give him a 5. Maybe a 6. Lots of room for improvement.

To be fair, though, he doesn't look as bad as Reid did his first year.
mcnabbulous
I'm not usually one to question specific playcalls, as its more about execution for me...

But the decision to have Barkley do a naked bootleg on 1st and goal from the 2 before the half has me scratching my head. Shady has been pretty successful picking up short yardage this season. Putting the ball into the hands of a rookie who has had turnover problems and is still looking for his first TD just doesn't make sense to me.

I'd say I'm pretty shocked by Barkley's lack of awareness on the play, but our entire roster has been displaying epic forms of lack of awareness for the past 3 seasons...so little surprises me at this point.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 28 2013, 10:52 AM) *
I'd say I'm pretty shocked by Barkley's lack of awareness on the play, but our entire roster has been displaying epic forms of lack of awareness for the past 3 seasons...so little surprises me at this point.

Barkley showed a surprising lack of awareness on qite a few plays. He's also got that run straight backwards when he's under pressure problem we saw with Kolb too.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 28 2013, 02:52 PM) *
But the decision to have Barkley do a naked bootleg on 1st and goal from the 2 before the half has me scratching my head. Shady has been pretty successful picking up short yardage this season. Putting the ball into the hands of a rookie who has had turnover problems and is still looking for his first TD just doesn't make sense to me.

Not running the ball in that sort of situation is one of the things that used to drive me crazy about Reid. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for Chip.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 28 2013, 10:46 AM) *
Not running the ball in that sort of situation is one of the things that used to drive me crazy about Reid. I hope this is not a sign of things to come for Chip.

I don't even have a problem with the pass call. A naked boot just seems like it's asking for trouble though. Obviously Barkley should have just thrown it away, and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Given the mistakes he has made in his limited time on the field, I just don't know why they would put that type of burden on him.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 26 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Because he's a college kid who likes to party. It's silly. I just saw today that he surpassed 8,000 total yards today. He's mid way through his second season.

Primarily because I don't want a 6'0" quarterback again. See Mike Vick and Matt Barkley. Too east to block passing lanes and deflect passes. Also, while Manziel is fast, I am not sure his frame could absorb the punishment of NFL players for 16 games. Again, Mike Vick. Cam Newton has a different body. Ditto Mariotta.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 28 2013, 11:37 AM) *
Primarily because I don't want a 6'0" quarterback again.

I made that mistake with Russell Wilson. Won't do it again.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 28 2013, 09:52 AM) *
I'm not usually one to question specific playcalls, as its more about execution for me...

To make matters worse, it turns out that Barkley had never actually practiced the play in question. He had just seen the other two guys run it. Yeesh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.