Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thing That Bothers Me Most About Foles vs. Dallas
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I think he choked.

I think he was in a pressure situation where he needed to be the man in a game with big consequences (1st place in East) against our most hated rival and he just couldn't handle it.

All that time he held onto the ball, I think he panicked and in the pressure situation, he lost his field vision and he lost his accuracy and touch. The field vision is the most concerning. Anyone can have some bad mechanics for a day, but to lose the poise and vision in a day when he was not rushed much, that is a killer.

I did hear about the potential groin injury before the game started but he was said to be over it by Thursday. Anyone who has ever had groin pulls knows that if you have one, you walk funny, and if you try to run or move laterally, it is very noticeable and the gimp is more pronounced. There was only once I saw him walk a little funny back to the huddle and it was after a hard knockdown.

Up until this point in his career, he really only has had two pressure situations, IMO. First was this year in the starters competition. He uncharacteristically struggled with accuracy when it came down to the wire. Forgetting about running with the ball, he just didn't play QB well in those games. The second was Sunday. All of his starts last year were absent the pressure to win. Sure there was plenty of pressure with tat depleted OL last year, but not to win. His first start last year was for a 3-6 team with a shit load of injuries, the season over. His last start last year was for a 4-11 team.

When you have a guy who chokes, he will not be able to break it. He may come in in a no pressure situation but he won't be able to lead in a game where it is on the line. Think Kolb after the first hard hit of his career. He was skittish and never recovered. I fear Foles will be the guy who plays well occasionally in relief, but in that important high pressure game, he will never recover.

His performance was that bad to me. The fact it was against the second worst defense in the NFL worsens it.
Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 21 2013, 09:02 PM) *
I think he choked.

I think he was in a pressure situation where he needed to be the man in a game with big consequences (1st place in East) against our most hated rival and he just couldn't handle it.

That's clearly what happened. And that is all the more reason why I am not freaking out like lots of people around here and why I am willing to give him a mulligan. It's gaining experience. That is often part of the growth process. Now I am not willing to allow a ton of those type games but let's not overreact. Maybe he isn't our QB of the future but we can't make decisions based on emotion and on a small sample size.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 21 2013, 09:02 PM) *
I think he choked.

All that time he held onto the ball, I think he panicked and in the pressure situation, he lost his field vision and he lost his accuracy and touch. The field vision is the most concerning. Anyone can have some bad mechanics for a day, but to lose the poise and vision in a day when he was not rushed much, that is a killer.

I did hear about the potential groin injury before the game started but he was said to be over it by Thursday. Anyone who has ever had groin pulls knows that if you have one, you walk funny, and if you try to run or move laterally, it is very noticeable and the gimp is more pronounced. There was only once I saw him walk a little funny back to the huddle and it was after a hard knockdown.

Up until this point in his career, he really only has had two pressure situations, IMO. First was this year in the starters competition. He uncharacteristically struggled with accuracy when it came down to the wire. Forgetting about running with the ball, he just didn't play QB well in those games. The second was Sunday. All of his starts last year were absent the pressure to win. Sure there was plenty of pressure with tat depleted OL last year, but not to win. His first start last year was for a 3-6 team with a shit load of injuries, the season over. His last start last year was for a 4-11 team.

When you have a guy who chokes, he will not be able to break it. He may come in in a no pressure situation but he won't be able to lead in a game where it is on the line. Think Kolb after the first hard hit of his career. He was skittish and never recovered. I fear Foles will be the guy who plays well occasionally in relief, but in that important high pressure game, he will never recover.

His performance was that bad to me. The fact it was against the second worst defense in the NFL worsens it.

worst performance by an Eagle QB at home ever IMO.

at least that I've seen. Worse than Mike McMahon, and I'm not even talking about the boxscore (which doesn't even come close to telling why this was so bad)

I think that Foles has basically proved that he is not really "long term starter" material unless you're one of those NFL teams that builds a defense that can rise to the level of their opponent when it counts and you can basically get away with bullshit at QB.

Foles, as I have repeatedly said, is a guy the Cleveland Browns repeatedly field to try and re-capture the Kosar days (not that he is comparable to Kosar skillset wise, Foles is more of a Bledsoe Jr. IMO), not a "Philadelphia Eagles" starting QB. he is an effective backup.

this will become abundantly clear when Michael Vick is no longer an Eagle and the WIP-calling bellends don't have a convenient target at whom to point and decry as "not a real QB", etc.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 22 2013, 10:02 AM) *
the WIP-calling bellends don't have a convenient target at whom to point and decry as "not a real QB", etc.

The WIP bellends ALWAYS have a convenient target. Maybe in 2017, after 6 straight years of missing the playoffs, they'll stop trashing McNabb.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 22 2013, 10:06 AM) *
The WIP bellends ALWAYS have a convenient target. Maybe in 2017, after 6 straight years of missing the playoffs, they'll stop trashing McNabb.

Yeah. if the Eagles don't solve the QB situation in the next couple of seasons they are danger of reliving the good ol' days of Kotite and Ray Rhodes (the latter of whom at least netted the Eagles one of their GOAT defenders and the defense that carried them in the early years). Or worse, the 49ers of the early '00s post-Garcia/Owens and pre-Harbaugh
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 21 2013, 08:02 PM) *
I think he choked.

Has your opinion changed Mike? Kid really stood tall today.
Just remember we gotta be patient with the young ones...
Phits
He's had 1 bad game. Otherwise he is having a pro-bowl type season. He's making Riley Cooper look like a player....what more are you looking for?

QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 22 2013, 09:02 AM) *
worst performance by an Eagle QB at home ever IMO.

at least that I've seen. Worse than Mike McMahon, and I'm not even talking about the boxscore (which doesn't even come close to telling why this was so bad)

I think that Foles has basically proved that he is not really "long term starter" material unless you're one of those NFL teams that builds a defense that can rise to the level of their opponent when it counts and you can basically get away with bullshit at QB.

Foles, as I have repeatedly said, is a guy the Cleveland Browns repeatedly field to try and re-capture the Kosar days (not that he is comparable to Kosar skillset wise, Foles is more of a Bledsoe Jr. IMO), not a "Philadelphia Eagles" starting QB. he is an effective backup.

this will become abundantly clear when Michael Vick is no longer an Eagle and the WIP-calling bellends don't have a convenient target at whom to point and decry as "not a real QB", etc.

Jax
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 18 2013, 12:43 AM) *
He's had 1 bad game. Otherwise he is having a pro-bowl type season. He's making Riley Cooper look like a player....what more are you looking for?

Yeah, too much more of this and those Cooper haters might have to change their tune also.
HobbEs
No one's talking about the follow-up to the Dallas game? The one where he threw for an NFL record 7 touchdowns?

So if he has a historically bad game and follows it up with a historically great game does it mean anything? You would think the law of averages would catch up to him and he'd be somewhere in the middle. But the last few games he's been playing well above that average. I find myself slowly climbing aboard the Foles bandwagon.

The other thing is he's still young and he'll only get better.
mcnabbulous
I was pretty bummed about his long-term viability after the Dallas game, but I'm beginning to think that was the anomaly. His quality performances are going to be the norm.

Eyrie
The two most important things that Kelly needs in a QB are decision making and accuracy. Foles is demonstrating both right now, so long may that continue.

As regards mobility, he's good within the pocket but I half expect him to get flagged for delay of game when he's scrambling biggrin.gif
nephillymike
Upon Further Review.............................

He got hit early in the Dallas game. He must have gotten the concussion then. I mean we had a guy who was looking at wide open WR's and not throwing them the ball. The same guy who leads the NFL in passer rating and has seen the entire field all year.

An early concussion makes a lot more sense than choking based on what I've seen over the last few weeks.

Dude has played lights out.

Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 18 2013, 05:12 PM) *
Upon Further Review.............................

He got hit early in the Dallas game. He must have gotten the concussion then. I mean we had a guy who was looking at wide open WR's and not throwing them the ball. The same guy who leads the NFL in passer rating and has seen the entire field all year.

An early concussion makes a lot more sense than choking based on what I've seen over the last few weeks.

Dude has played lights out.

No need for further interpretation because it was a bad game. Even if he "choked", QB's are allowed to have them every now and then....even 2nd year QB's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.