Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ex-Eagle Irving Fryar indicted on fraud charges
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
TGryn
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown...52852--nfl.html
Former Pro Bowl wide receiver Irving Fryar and his 72-year-old mother have been indicted on charges of conspiring to steal nearly $700,000 by deceiving banks into granting them home equity loans, state authorities told the Newark Star-Ledger. Fryar, 51, and his mother, Allene McGhee, reportedly obtained five loans in a six-day period in 2009 using McGhee's home collateral, according to the New Jersey Attorney General's Office. They reported false information, authorities say, on the loan application, including falsifying McGhee's salary for a church that Fryar founded named the New Jerusalem House of God.

Fryar was the #1 receiver here during most of the Rhodes years, and was a star WR for the Patriots before that. Just have to shake my head sadly; sounds a lot like Lenny Dykstra all over again. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, frankly - having a lot of $$ would seem easy to get used to, and when the big paychecks stop coming in I could see some former players trying more and more desperate measures to get money, eventually resorting to criminal schemes.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (TGryn @ Oct 20 2013, 10:14 PM) *
Fryar was the #1 receiver here during most of the Rhodes years, and was a star WR for the Patriots before that. Just have to shake my head sadly; sounds a lot like Lenny Dykstra all over again. I'm surprised this kind of thing doesn't happen more often, frankly - having a lot of $$ would seem easy to get used to, and when the big paychecks stop coming in I could see some former players trying more and more desperate measures to get money, eventually resorting to criminal schemes.

Sadly, it seems like the only players who don't go broke 5 years after retirement are the ones who go straight to tv (Ray Lewis is doing it right), or the ones who bought 20 car dealerships and restaurants while they were still playing, and now just rake in dough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.