Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Merry X-Mas
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
For those holding their breath in anticipation.....

LINK
Phits
Philadelphia: Michael Vick vs. Nick Foles

Chris Burke: Vick. This alone should not be the deciding factor for Chip Kelly, but I get the feeling that it would be easier to switch from Vick to Foles in a pinch than vice versa. In other words, I’d feel more comfortable with Vick as the starter and Foles as the reliever.

Vick also lets Kelly keep more of his playbook on the table — one of the main reasons he was the clear No. 1 quarterback for the Eagles coming out of the preseason. Foles’ passing numbers have been impressive thus far, but Vick has almost 300 more rushing yards. Obviously, Kelly can work his offense around a less-mobile Foles. Why do that, though, when Vick makes so many more options available?

Doug Farrar: Foles. As much as Vick seems to be a perfect fit for Kelly’s offense, there is a random and unpredictable aspect to Vick’s game — even when he’s at his most productive — that actually counters what Kelly wants to do. Foles, though still developing, appears to better understand his role in Kelly’s offense, while Vick (at times) has seemed almost overwhelmed by the speed with which the Eagles now run things. Always prone to playing too quickly in the pocket, Vick seems to break down in certain no-huddle situations, ending drives and turning the speed advantage into a burden for the Philly defense.

Also, let’s be honest: This team didn’t go 4-12 a year ago because Andy Reid is a bad coach — it did so because the talent overhaul in Philly will take multiple years. The Eagles seem to have the right approach in that regard, and extending Vick’s time over the short term at the expense of Foles’ development seems counterintuitive. The Eagles will most likely draft the optimal quarterback for their system in 2014, and Foles would then have the experience to be an Eagles staple — the backup quarterback who can come in on short notice and help his team win.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 15 2013, 08:35 PM) *
Also, let’s be honest: This team didn’t go 4-12 a year ago because Andy Reid is a bad coach — it did so because the talent overhaul in Philly will take multiple years. The Eagles seem to have the right approach in that regard, and extending Vick’s time over the short term at the expense of Foles’ development seems counterintuitive. The Eagles will most likely draft the optimal quarterback for their system in 2014, and Foles would then have the experience to be an Eagles staple — the backup quarterback who can come in on short notice and help his team win.

Andy Reid isn't a "bad" coach, he's a bad game manager. That was an 8-8 team that was "managed" down to 4-12 last season. There are at least 4 games that would have gone the other way with a different game plan or at least taking what the defense gave them (which is where Chip has shown promise). AZ being one of them.

I do agree with that last sentence though. Chip's guy is coming soon...
Jax
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 16 2013, 11:57 AM) *
Andy Reid isn't a "bad" coach, he's a bad game manager. That was an 8-8 team that was "managed" down to 4-12 last season. There are at least 4 games that would have gone the other way with a different game plan or at least taking what the defense gave them (which is where Chip has shown promise). AZ being one of them.

I do agree with that last sentence though. Chip's guy is coming soon...

I'm not convinced it can't be Foles or Barkley but I will trust whatever Chip decides to do. I just hope it isn't Manziel. I am not a Manziel fan at all.
koolaidluke
So if Foles stinks or is even "bleh" against Dallas, is Foles still the guy?

Vick's injury is a great situation for Kelly. He definitely can't play this week and probably can't go for 2 more weeks after this. If Foles is bad or mediocre, then Vick gets his job back and everything is good. If Foles lights it up then Kelly can stick with Foles and just say he was going with the guy with the hot hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.