Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solid game for Foles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
Anybody complaining today that he "can't drive the length of the field" or "throw a deep ball?"

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 13 2013, 09:47 PM) *
Anybody complaining today that he "can't drive the length of the field" or "throw a deep ball?"

I don't think there will be much of that. I would liked to have seen Foles lead Cooper a little more on that TD. I admit it is nitpicking because Foles placed that ball where only Cooper was going to make a play on it.

mcnabbulous
Seriously? That Cooper throw was dramatically under thrown. Had it not been for Coopers push off, it was at risk of being picked.

Foles played well, but he proved very little about his ability to go down the field. Both TD's to DJax were really nice.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2013, 06:21 PM) *
Seriously? That Cooper throw was dramatically under thrown. Had it not been for Coopers push off, it was at risk of being picked.

Foles played well, but he proved very little about his ability to go down the field. Both TD's to DJax were really nice.

LOL, smh. Even I give Mike Vick more credit than that when he plays well.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 13 2013, 05:47 PM) *

He played well and deserves the start against Dallas IMO. If he sucks out loud bring Vick back in, and there will be no problems.

That being said, I really don't like the way he throws, I don't like the way the ball comes out of his hand, or his motion. It reminds me of watching Kyle Kendrick pitch - even if he's throwing a shutout, I always feel a sense of impending doom. But the bottom line is he won and has played well, and I'd like to see more of him to see if he can keep it up.
xsv
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 14 2013, 09:06 AM) *
He played well and deserves the start against Dallas IMO. If he sucks out loud bring Vick back in, and there will be no problems.

That being said, I really don't like the way he throws, I don't like the way the ball comes out of his hand, or his motion. It reminds me of watching Kyle Kendrick pitch - even if he's throwing a shutout, I always feel a sense of impending doom. But the bottom line is he won and has played well, and I'd like to see more of him to see if he can keep it up.

The only thing I have trouble with is how slow his feet are. With a free rusher in his face, he's not quite fast enough to get outside the tackles.

His passes, though, are a lot more accurate than anything we've had in Philly in a long, long time.

He sort of reminds me of Flacco with an average arm.
Jax
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2013, 06:21 PM) *

He ain't Daunte Culpepper how throws it up long and high and lets Moss jump. He also ain't Vick where you sling it as far as you can and see if DeSean can fetch it. He's just not that style of player. On the plus side, he can make decisions in a play which isn't the strength of Culpepper or Vick.
Jax
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 14 2013, 09:24 AM) *
The only thing I have trouble with is how slow his feet are. With a free rusher in his face, he's not quite fast enough to get outside the tackles.

His passes, though, are a lot more accurate than anything we've had in Philly in a long, long time.

He's not as athletic as Flacco and arm isn't as strong but his intangibles could prove to be his strength if he gets the chance. He's still young so we'll see. Some might be be confusing Foles' easy throwing motion and catchable ball with less arm strength. How important is the 60 yard downfield throw? If that is important then Vick is certainly the guy. If you are running a lot of 12 yard out patterns from the opposite hash mark then I am not sure there is a QB in the league that can make that throw without a chance of an INT. Beyond that Foles can make the throws.

To use a baseball term, he isn't a max effort guy when he throws. He can repeat his mechanics. It's smooth. His arm strength isn't a deficiency. His arm is on par with most of the the QB's in the league.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 14 2013, 09:24 AM) *

He reminds me of a taller, (hopefully) less injury prone version of Kolb. I was always a Kolb fan.

The Dallas game should answer a lot more questions. I suspect the Eagles lose to Dallas but Foles plays decently. I doubt Vick will be back for a few more weeks regardless so what really matters is how Foles plays the next 3 games. Oakland is a guaranteed win but he needs to at least split with the Giants and Cowboys.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 14 2013, 10:21 AM) *
Oakland is a guaranteed win

That's what we all thought in 2009. That was arguably Reid's worst coaching job ever.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 14 2013, 10:32 AM) *
That's what we all thought in 2009. That was arguably Reid's worst coaching job ever.

2002 season NFCCG vs Tampa Bay

but that's a close second. a game where you could have just run all day and play action to a blow out

you know what Andy did.

an embarrassing game where slow-mo Zach Miller looked like DeSean Jackson, catching passes from one of the most embarrassing QBs in the NFL on one of the most embarrassing teams in the NFL at the time...

Raiders now are way better than that team. Eagles defense is way worse. I expect Chip to do a better job coaching though.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 14 2013, 10:40 AM) *
an embarrassing game where slow-mo Zach Miller looked like DeSean Jackson, catching passes from one of the most embarrassing QBs in the NFL on one of the most embarrassing teams in the NFL at the time...

Raiders now are way better than that team. Eagles defense is way worse. I expect Chip to do a better job coaching though.

They had 3rd down and 8, and the clock was running to the 2-minute warning, which would've given us the ball back with enough time to possibly go downfield and win.....and The Walrus calls timeout at 2:03. Naturally, it made no sense to run it anymore, and they called a pass, and we got to see way-past-his-prime Jeremiah Trotter assigned in one-on-one pass coverage to RB Gary Russell, who promptly made Trotter eat a mouthful of dust as they finished us off.

Afterwards Tom Cable expressed his shock, and had to double-check to make sure timeout was called by us - I forget his exact words, but he basically said if we let it run to the 2 minute warning they would've run the ball. Duh.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2013, 10:21 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

dramatically under thrown?

You crack me up, man.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 14 2013, 11:48 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

dramatically under thrown?

You crack me up, man.

The feeling is mutual. It probably want a push off either.
Jax
Dramatically underthrown is a dramatic exaggeration. A tad underthrown? Maybe.
Eyrie
Foles demonstrated that he can run Kelly's offense without any difficulty.

He lacks Vick's threat as a runner, but is more accurate and a better decision maker in the pocket. I'll take his steady production over Vick's highs and lows given that we have Jackson and McCoy as the difference makers.

But I'd like to see better play by our much vaunted OL. Simply being better than last year is not good enough.
D Rock
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 14 2013, 05:22 PM) *
Dramatically underthrown is a dramatic exaggeration. A tad underthrown? Maybe.

Yup.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 14 2013, 12:52 PM) *
I'll take his steady production over Vick's highs and lows

This may be Foles' strongest case. I don't expect him to consistently put up the numbers he did on Sunday, but if he can maintain consistency, he'll likely steal the job.
D Rock
I don't think there's anything Foles can do to "steal the job." Vick could lose it if he goes typical Vick for a few games, but Foles would have to go nutz to take it away from Mike.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 14 2013, 01:24 PM) *
I don't think there's anything Foles can do to "steal the job." Vick could lose it if he goes typical Vick for a few games, but Foles would have to go nutz to take it away from Mike.

Probably fair. But if Vick has a few ups and downs, it may compel Chip that the consistency is more valuable than the upside. I guess it depends on how much value Chip would place in knowing what he could expect on a weekly basis.

I don't think it would require going full blown Vick (e.g. lots of turnovers) to make that happen. Time will tell.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2013, 06:27 PM) *
Probably fair. But if Vick has a few ups and downs, it may compel Chip that the consistency is more valuable than the upside. I guess it depends on how much value Chip would place in knowing what he could expect on a weekly basis.

I don't think it would require going full blown Vick (e.g. lots of turnovers) to make that happen. Time will tell.

I think Chip seems somewhat aware that anything short of Vick pooping his pants for a couple of weeks would make a change a very tough sell in the locker room.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.