Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rooting for Draft Pick
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
I hate when I see fans saying that they want the team to miss the playoffs so that their team will get a better draft pick. This isn't basketball where tanking is a viable strategy, that is why there is no lottery.

If you want your team to lose so that they can pick earlier you are subhuman scum and don't deserve to live.
D Rock
yup
Jax
Lol. True. But our 76ers sure appear to be using the tanking strategy. Is there a bona fide Franchise player available if we get the top pick in the NBA draft? I sure don't know.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 7 2013, 06:15 PM) *
Lol. True. But our 76ers sure appear to be using the tanking strategy. Is there a bona fide Franchise player available if we get the top pick in the NBA draft? I sure don't know.

That freshman at Kansas is supposed to be the next star. Can't remember his name.
HobbEs
Andrew Wiggins is supposed to be the next NBA superstar.

Even if the Sixers don't get the top pick they'll be in good shape. There are a few guys at the top of the draft who are franchise changers.
TGryn
I note the Celtics are using the same strategy at the same time as the Sixers - race to the bottom for lottery balls - and that's only in our division. It makes a certain sense: nobody's beating the Heat in the East for at least the next couple of years, so the bad and mediocre teams are trying to position themselves to be the next big team once the Heat's run starts to flame out due to age/injuries/etc. as happens with all dominant teams eventually.

Sure makes it tough on the fans, though. The league tried to prevent this with the pingpong ball format instead of strict draft positioning according to record as the NFL does, but obviously it isn't preventing it. I'm not sure what else they can do - NBA is different from other sports in that you need that one dominant guy to even be a contender, and being that kind of superathlete isn't something you can develop or train. You can get a guy to become a great three-point shooter with years and years of practice, but that'll at best get you a reserve spot on an NBA team. That's also why developmental leagues are of limited use for helping a team become good: you aren't going to get a LeBron coming out of those no matter how much coaching and playing time you give a player there, their ceiling isn't high enough to be more than a backup at the top level. And a team with great depth but only average starters will get steamrolled by teams like the Heat every time.

So, you're left with hoping the pingpong balls will deliver that next LJ or MJ.
koolaidluke
It is a legit strategy in the NBA so I don't blame NBA fans for rooting for their own crappy teams to fail, but football is a totally different kettle of fish.

That said, I don't believe that you do need a dominant guy to win a championship in the NBA. The Celtics and the Pistons both won championships with a bunch of all stars but no superstars. The Pacers have built themselves into an elite team with no superstars.

Also, you don't need to tank to get a superstar. Houston is known for never tanking but they were able to stockpile enough assets to trade for Harden.

Here are the changes that should be made to bring more parity to the NBA:
1. turn the "soft" cap into a "hard" cap.
2. eliminate the stupid "max contract" rule. Let teams play superstars as much as they want. This will prevent teams from having more than one superstar on a team.
3. Cut the games down to 40 minutes and add two more timeouts. Then cut the rosters down from 15 to 12. This means more depth available for crappy teams and the shorter games will help older players, leaving a bigger talent pool.
4. Have a purely unweighted lottery for the first round. This may seem counter intuitive to bringing more parity but not only does it eliminate tanking but when one lottery ball is worth as much as any other it is easier for a team to trade, say 3 first round picks for a star player because any one of those picks has just as good a chance as any other of being in the top 5.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
5 games in and the discussion turns to basketball ? Freaky !
D Rock
This whole thread is a strawman argument.

Seriously.

Has ANYBODY here advocated tanking for draft position?
Dreagon
I normally don't like fellow fans rooting for my team to fail in order to get a higher draft choice either.

At the same time, the idea of winning the division at 7-9 or 8-8 only to go one and done, and THEN be behind some 9-7 and maybe 10-6 teams in draft order gives me a huge case of sour stomach.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 7 2013, 06:35 PM) *
I hate when I see fans saying that they want the team to miss the playoffs so that their team will get a better draft pick. This isn't basketball where tanking is a viable strategy, that is why there is no lottery.

If you want your team to lose so that they can pick earlier you are subhuman scum and don't deserve to live.

tanking isn't a viable strategy?

tell that to the Colts.

I don't root for it (unless there are other things that would not happen w/o a tank: i.e. last year with Andy -- and miss me with the "coach killer" talk. the Eagles needed to move on), but I don't buy that it's not a viable strategy in football.

if you don't think the Jags are tankin' out (I don't mean just losing games, but actively NOT pursuing bettering of the team so that they can compete), I don't know what to tell you.

the 49ers were straight dog crap for years after the end of the Garcia run, and now look at them. they were in the SB last year. they won't be this year but they're still a good team. that team was largely built on the draft.

personally I think a better draft pick is in the best interest of this Eagles team, but with an 0-6 Giants team in the division, might as well take advantage of being in a crappy division. Dunno what the Eagles are gonna do down the line as far as QB is concerned. Vick is old and won't be around for much longer. and options 2 and 3 are not "franchise" worthy. not even "Schaub/Alex Smith" level. cross our fingers and hope that a "Brees" situation falls into the Eagles' lap?

only way I see it is if a playoff appearance inspires FAs to come and play in Philly. particularly defensive ones.

BTW, the lottery is stupid and it should be abolished. worst team gets #1 pick. same way it is in all other pro sports. people were just mad that the Celtics (or whoever) tanked for the player they wanted. if they're not going to the playoffs, what's the use?

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 11 2013, 10:55 AM) *
if you don't think the Jags are tankin' out (I don't mean just losing games, but actively NOT pursuing bettering of the team so that they can compete), I don't know what to tell you.

Someone should tell the Jags that 'tanking' traditionally should only last one year.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 11 2013, 11:10 AM) *
Someone should tell the Jags that 'tanking' traditionally should only last one year.

LOL. Yeah. I think there is a multi-year plan/agenda with them. they've been crap since the last days of Del Rio. and being a division w/Houston and Indy doesn't help either.

NFL wants that team outta Jacksonville and into LA (I believe) but LA won't give a crap. Maybe if it's the Rams.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 12 2013, 04:02 PM) *
LOL. Yeah. I think there is a multi-year plan/agenda with them. they've been crap since the last days of Del Rio. and being a division w/Houston and Indy doesn't help either.

NFL wants that team outta Jacksonville and into LA (I believe) but LA won't give a crap. Maybe if it's the Rams.

They actually have a pretty legit fanbase when their team isn't winning 2 games a year, and doing so on purpose it seems. Khan is a horrible owner. I can't wait to see the Sixers' attendance this year - a top-notch fanbase being asked to purchase tickets to watch a college basketball team lose every night.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 12 2013, 04:41 PM) *
I can't wait to see the Sixers' attendance this year - a top-notch fanbase being asked to purchase tickets to watch a college basketball team lose every night.

LOOOOOOOOOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.