Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Shame of It Is
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We had the joy of winning this game, and it will be the agony of hearing about it on the radio (nobody reads anymore)

And starting tomorrow will be the agony of focusing on a QB controversy.

Mark my words. WIP and 975 will be >50% calls about a QB controversy instead of the win.

For you out of towners, I'll let you know how it went.

I hope I'm wrong. I'd hate for an excellent relief appearance by Foles, to ruin the win.

Kudos to the team, kudos to Foles and let's move on to Tampa and come ready to play.

My guess is Vick is out next week. But we're in good hands based on Foles play today.
D Rock
I don't know. Vick has been erratic. He didn't complete more than 40% during his time today. He's been terrible in the red zone pretty much all year. I'm not saying to go w Foles if Vick can go, but Vicks play hasn't done anything to squash any would be qb controversy.
koolaidluke
I don't consider it ruining the win at all. It's a huge question mark that is hanging over the team and it is going to become louder every time Vick struggles.

Vick has played well this season, he is a good QB. I thought so last year even when the team struggled. But he is erratic, injury prone and is not part of the Eagles future so when there is a promising young guy on the bench who is good at all of the aspects of the game Vick struggles with, controversy is bound to erupt.

I initially felt like Foles was the better fit for what Kelly wants to do but today's performance convinced me otherwise. The Eagles running game is totally dependent on the read option and shrinks to irrelevance without it. If Foles is the guy than this is just another conventional pass first offense, which I'm fine with, but it isn't what Kelly was hired to run nor is it something he has ever run in his entire coaching career. If the Eagles go with Foles you can forget about all those 400 yard games.
Jax
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 7 2013, 12:00 AM) *
I don't consider it ruining the win at all. It's a huge question mark that is hanging over the team and it is going to become louder every time Vick struggles.

Vick has played well this season, he is a good QB. I thought so last year even when the team struggled. But he is erratic, injury prone and is not part of the Eagles future so when there is a promising young guy on the bench who is good at all of the aspects of the game Vick struggles with, controversy is bound to erupt.

I initially felt like Foles was the better fit for what Kelly wants to do but today's performance convinced me otherwise. The Eagles running game is totally dependent on the read option and shrinks to irrelevance without it. If Foles is the guy than this is just another conventional pass first offense, which I'm fine with, but it isn't what Kelly was hired to run nor is it something he has ever run in his entire coaching career. If the Eagles go with Foles you can forget about all those 400 yard games.

While I have been on record as a Foles supporter, I agree that I am still skeptical as to whether this offense suits him. I also agree with some of the points about the run game, although it was only 31 minutes of football with which to evaluate it. Since I have a feeling Vick will sit this coming week, perhaps we will get a longer look at Foles.
D Rock
Vick was completing passes at a 40% clip. Foles at nearly 70%. That's a 30 point swing.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2013, 11:00 PM) *
We had the joy of winning this game, and it will be the agony of hearing about it on the radio (nobody reads anymore)

Several callers on the morning show did nothing but bitch about how bad we are. Any win against the Giants or Cowboys should make your week.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 7 2013, 03:51 PM) *
Several callers on the morning show did nothing but bitch about how bad we are. Any win against the Giants or Cowboys should make your week.

Some people are born to bitch. There is no making them happy.

The offense took care of business and put up 36 points. The special teams excelled. The defense still sucks on a historical level but they did enough to win the game. I actually enjoyed watching Fletcher. I cannot remember the last time I saw competent CB play from the Eagles and Fletcher delivered yesterday.
JeeQ
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 7 2013, 08:51 AM) *

That's always been my problem with parts of the Philadelphia Eagles fan base. They can't enjoy any win whatsoever and it makes no sense. Maybe it's because I'm from Southern California and surrounded by Oakland Raider fans who treat every win like a Super Bowl victory. They partied all night after they win over the Chargers yesterday.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 7 2013, 11:36 AM) *
That's always been my problem with parts of the Philadelphia Eagles fan base. They can't enjoy any win whatsoever and it makes no sense. Maybe it's because I'm from Southern California and surrounded by Oakland Raider fans who treat every win like a Super Bowl victory. They partied all night after they win over the Chargers yesterday.

I think our fanbase has forever been ruined by the success of those early 2000 teams. People think we should have won "multiple Superbowls" and have lost grip of the reality of the challenges of winning in this league.

Beating a division rival on the road is always something to be happy about. We've done it twice this season.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 7 2013, 04:42 PM) *
I think our fanbase has forever been ruined by the success of those early 2000 teams. People think we should have won "multiple Superbowls" and have lost grip of the reality of the challenges of winning in this league.

Beating a division rival on the road is always something to be happy about. We've done it twice this season.

It goes back further than that. This fan base has not changed a bit since I started following the Eagles in the days Jaworski, Carmichael and Montgomery. It also is not limited to the Eagles. It is all Philly sports.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 7 2013, 12:00 PM) *
I actually enjoyed watching Fletcher. I cannot remember the last time I saw competent CB play from the Eagles and Fletcher delivered yesterday.

Same here - I predicted we would lose because I thought Eli would bomb it downfield all day and we'd have to watch that asshole Cruz do 3 salsa dances. It worked at first, but Fletcher made some really great plays and limited later damage. Dare I say he made some Troy Vincent-esque plays.
nephillymike
With a 10 being total consumed by the "QB controversy" and 1 being focus only on the win, I'd say the discussion was about a 7.

Interesting thing though. This AM on WIP, they had a poll as to who should QB the Eagles going forward when both are healthy.

67% said Foles.

67%!!

I truly believe that the number was close to or above 50% if they had that poll afte his two drives last week.

There are so many who just want Vick gone. The majority don't think Foles is the answer, but still want Vick gone.

I say play Foles this week vs. Tampa and bring Vick back for the 'Girl's game.

And although Tampa as a team sucks, their D is very very good. Ask NO and NE. It's not a cake walk by any stretch. We need to hold them to below 20 to win this game.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 7 2013, 09:35 PM) *
With a 10 being total consumed by the "QB controversy" and 1 being focus only on the win, I'd say the discussion was about a 7.

Interesting thing though. This AM on WIP, they had a poll as to who should QB the Eagles going forward when both are healthy.

67% said Foles.

67%!!

I truly believe that the number was close to or above 50% if they had that poll afte his two drives last week.

There are so many who just want Vick gone. The majority don't think Foles is the answer, but still want Vick gone.

I say play Foles this week vs. Tampa and bring Vick back for the 'Girl's game.

And although Tampa as a team sucks, their D is very very good. Ask NO and NE. It's not a cake walk by any stretch. We need to hold them to below 20 to win this game.

Those poll numbers do not surprise me. If one were to step back and consider that this team is roughly 3 years away from the possibility of being a top contender, Vick can not be considered the QB of the future. He will be 36 years old and his propensity for getting injured will only get worse as he ages. So the next option available is Foles. Sooner or later you have to either find out what he has or just give up on him. Since this team is not going to compete this year there really is no reason not to see what Foles has now so that the team can properly prepare for free agency and the draft in the off season.
nephillymike
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 7 2013, 07:18 PM) *
Those poll numbers do not surprise me. If one were to step back and consider that this team is roughly 3 years away from the possibility of being a top contender, Vick can not be considered the QB of the future. He will be 36 years old and his propensity for getting injured will only get worse as he ages. So the next option available is Foles. Sooner or later you have to either find out what he has or just give up on him. Since this team is not going to compete this year there really is no reason not to see what Foles has now so that the team can properly prepare for free agency and the draft in the off season.

I'm amazed at how easily most fans are willing to throw away seasons. The NFL is like no other league. It's a league where so many new teams make the playoffs each year. a league where the average career is less than four years. A league where the odds of making the playoffs are 37.5% for all teams, yet 28% for teams coming off 4-12 seasons. Three years from now, McCoy, DJax, Peters, Mathis, Ryans and most other decent to good players on this team will no longer be playing.

The future is now.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 7 2013, 10:14 PM) *
I'm amazed at how easily most fans are willing to throw away seasons. The NFL is like no other league. It's a league where so many new teams make the playoffs each year. a league where the average career is less than four years. A league where the odds of making the playoffs are 37.5% for all teams, yet 28% for teams coming off 4-12 seasons. Three years from now, McCoy, DJax, Peters, Mathis, Ryans and most other decent to good players on this team will no longer be playing.

The future is now.

excellent post Mikey.......and notice there are no Andy Reid posts by the way.....pretty funny huh?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 8 2013, 03:14 AM) *

The future is now.

If the future is now, we are screwed. This team will be lucky to be .500 at the end of this season.

As a fan I want the Eagles to compete every single season. That is not realistic. If the Eagles use this season to evaluate what they have and plan future FA and drafts around that evaluation, then this is season is not thrown away. It is just the first step taken to get back to respectability.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2013, 04:39 AM) *
excellent post Mikey.......and notice there are no Andy Reid posts by the way.....pretty funny huh?

No Andy Reid posts? There have been numerous posts stating that this defense has no talent due to the piss poor job Reid did bringing in players on that side of the ball.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 8 2013, 04:39 AM) *

Reid got blamed in another thread for Vick's problems this season in the red zone.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 8 2013, 01:45 PM) *
Reid got blamed in another thread for Vick's problems this season in the red zone.

C'mon man, I was just joking there. Do you really think I would blame Reid for anything? He's my coaching soulmate.

I was saying it facetiously because Reid has been criticized for years about the red zone struggles, but the reality is that it's Vick's limitations that cause problems in the red zone. The same things that plagued Donnie in that regard.

Now the same problems are rearing their head
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 8 2013, 08:09 PM) *
C'mon man, I was just joking there. Do you really think I would blame Reid for anything? He's my coaching soulmate.

I think you have to do a better job there cool.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 7 2013, 11:39 PM) *

Yeah funny, right? It's almost as if he's no longer the coach, and real Eagles fans should not really give a fuck about the Chiefs, unless they're playing us (which happened already, and won't conceivably happen again until 2017, as even if we make it to a Super Bowl, Andy will never get past the AFCCG).

When they soundly beat us in week 3, I noticed he attacked Nate Allen quite a bit - his heralded 2nd-round pick. In other words, we watched a team loaded with All-Pros beat up on the mess he left us. If you feel the need to act like this makes your Reid-apologism anything other than delusional, fine - but kindly take it to a Chiefs fan board. Ok Fantasy Fan?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Oct 10 2013, 10:42 AM) *
Yeah funny, right? It's almost as if he's no longer the coach, and real Eagles fans should not really give a fuck about the Chiefs, unless they're playing us (which happened already, and won't conceivably happen again until 2017, as even if we make it to a Super Bowl, Andy will never get past the AFCCG).

When they soundly beat us in week 3, I noticed he attacked Nate Allen quite a bit - his heralded 2nd-round pick. In other words, we watched a team loaded with All-Pros beat up on the mess he left us. If you feel the need to act like this makes your Reid-apologism anything other than delusional, fine - but kindly take it to a Chiefs fan board. Ok Fantasy Fan?

When you spend years reading a bunch of morons (or one specifically obnoxious moron) claim that Andy Reid can't coach, it goes without saying that him proving said moron wrong is worth noting.

Unfortunately for you, your ignorance is well documented. If you had simply maintained that Reid was a poor general manager (a job he never should have had to begin with) than this discussion would be moot. Instead, you proved yourself wrong time and time again. The fact that you were so loud about it is no one's fault but your own.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 10 2013, 11:59 AM) *
When you spend years reading a bunch of morons (or one specifically obnoxious moron) claim that Andy Reid can't coach, it goes without saying that him proving said moron wrong is worth noting.

Unfortunately for you, your ignorance is well documented. If you had simply maintained that Reid was a poor general manager (a job he never should have had to begin with) than this discussion would be moot. Instead, you proved yourself wrong time and time again. The fact that you were so loud about it is no one's fault but your own.

In all fairness, he was a poor coach in his last few seasons with the Eagles and he was horrible as a "GM".
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 10 2013, 11:59 AM) *

When you spend years listening to a bunch of morons apologizing and making excuses for boneheaded coaching moves and predictable playcalling, and deny a team's record when unpredictable playcalling is used (were we 12-1 when we ran with Shady? I forget), yet still have to listen to said morons (or one specifically illiterate moron) deny the obvious facts as we were going down the tubes, it goes without saying that you will have to listen to said morons grasping onto any pathetic way they can of trying to convince themselves that they were right.

Proof of this is how you continue, in typical cowardly fashion, to hold on to straw man arguments, and to put words in people's mouths. Nobody here has ever once said he 'can't coach' - if you had an intelligent point to make, you would make it, instead of continuing to say this.

More proof is how Reid-apologists keep gleefully talking about the 5-0 Chiefs. Good for Andy, and good for you closet Chiefs fans. I'm sure there are plenty of Chiefs boards around who would love to talk about them all season long. This is an Eagles board. Thanks for stopping by to defend your crush's honor.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 10 2013, 05:23 PM) *
In all fairness, he was a poor coach in his last few seasons with the Eagles and he was horrible as a "GM".

100% accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.