Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This offense (in its current state) is caca without Vick
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Dr. Claw
And when you don't run the ball when the other team has no time outs and your WRs suck...

Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 6 2013, 03:49 PM) *
And when you don't run the ball when the other team has no time outs and your WRs suck...

Well, thanks to that well-timed Eli "Bum" Manning INT... the next play from scrimmage is a TD to serial ball-dropper Brent Celek!!

KEEP ON WEEDENING, FOLES!!!
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 6 2013, 03:49 PM) *

This is a jinx post.
Jax
Perhaps you spoke too soon
koolaidluke
Not a Foles believer. I have said all along that the Eagles run game would implode without Vick and it did just that, although to a greater extent than I anticipated.

Foles did a good job. He's a good player and he showed that last year. But this offense with him leading it is just a spread no huddle version of the O we ran last year. There's nothing wrong with that, that should be able to get you 24 points a game. But there is nothing special about it either. It won't be the revolutionary offense Kelly was running with Vick that was chewing up yards, although paradoxically it may score more points.

QB controversy is here. Will be interesting to see how Kelly handles it. I assume he is going to stick with Vick until at least the next loss.
Bez
Another win , thats whats important enjoy . Enjoy the positive vibes.

Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Bez @ Oct 6 2013, 04:45 PM) *
Another win , thats whats important enjoy . Enjoy the positive vibes.

I am happy. Because Eli Manning did what Eli Manning does best. Give gifts to the opposing team.
Bez
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Oct 6 2013, 03:47 PM) *
I am happy. Because Eli Manning did what Eli Manning does best. Give gifts to the opposing team.
Hes not Peyton thats for sure. Looks like Dallas is up one . I think its time for the Donks to be taken down a notch.
Dreagon
Foles did pretty good, but it's obvious that y'alls offense is designed around a more mobile QB. I still wonder if you're coach ain't looking at Manzell in the draft next year. He would fit y'alls scheme perfectly, and Foles would stilll be around as a security blanket.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 6 2013, 02:28 PM) *
Foles did pretty good, but it's obvious that y'alls offense is designed around a more mobile QB. I still wonder if you're coach ain't looking at Manzell in the draft next year. He would fit y'alls scheme perfectly, and Foles would stilll be around as a security blanket.

Please don't get my hopes up by mentioning Johnny Manziel and the Eagles together
Bez
In a sense I have to agree , especially at this point in the season . Way to early to think about that and all the hoops that have to be gone through.
Jax
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 6 2013, 05:28 PM) *

You will hear me scream from here if we draft Johnny Idiot. No thanks.
Rick
Honestly, I was impressed with Foles today. Other than that one drive, he did a fine job. I was pleasantly surprised to see him throwing deep, too.

As far as the run game, I really don't know what Chipper is doing. Where are all of the crazy formations we saw for a half against the Redskins? All we're seeing is standard NFL formations now.

Why the hell do they keep trying to run Shady wide when nobody has been able to stop in up the middle on any kind of consistent basis? Seems like our guys are better at run blocking when we don't have guys pulling and running all over the place.

My biggest gripe about the offense today was how the receivers didn't get open until sometime into the 3rd quarter. Just couldn't understand how (arguably) the worst 2ndary in the NFL can cover a decent WR group like ours. Seemed like DJax finally took things into his own hands and turned it up a notch.
Jax
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 6 2013, 07:50 PM) *
Honestly, I was impressed with Foles today. Other than that one drive, he did a fine job. I was pleasantly surprised to see him throwing deep, too.

As far as the run game, I really don't know what Chipper is doing. Where are all of the crazy formations we saw for a half against the Redskins? All we're seeing is standard NFL formations now.

Why the hell do they keep trying to run Shady wide when nobody has been able to stop in up the middle on any kind of consistent basis? Seems like our guys are better at run blocking when we don't have guys pulling and running all over the place.

My biggest gripe about the offense today was how the receivers didn't get open until sometime into the 3rd quarter. Just couldn't understand how (arguably) the worst 2ndary in the NFL can cover a decent WR group like ours. Seemed like DJax finally took things into his own hands and turned it up a notch.

Agree
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 6 2013, 06:33 PM) *
You will hear me scream from here if we draft Johnny Idiot. No thanks.

Why?

I hate the guy but he's awesome.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Oct 6 2013, 06:50 PM) *

Agree. But did you notice how many times he threw to DJax in double coverage. He wasn't taking what the D gave him, he was just taking it (Vick and Foles to DJ). Why don't they run 12 yard stop patterns to DJax? Even in man coverage, that will loosen up the DB for a stop and go later on. Vick has the arm for it and DJ should be able to catch it.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2013, 10:28 PM) *
Agree. But did you notice how many times he threw to DJax in double coverage. He wasn't taking what the D gave him, he was just taking it (Vick and Foles to DJ). Why don't they run 12 yard stop patterns to DJax? Even in man coverage, that will loosen up the DB for a stop and go later on. Vick has the arm for it and DJ should be able to catch it.

Agreed. What I meant about DJax is he seems to be attacking the ball and making the catch this season. This has been his best season as a receiver IMO.

I just really want to know why Chipper stopped doing what was so successful in Week 1. Does he believe the hype that his offense can't work in the NFL?
Jax
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 6 2013, 08:17 PM) *
Why?

I hate the guy but he's awesome.

Just not sold on his skills against Professional competition. We shall see. He will get a shot. I don't really want it to be with my team though.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Jax @ Oct 7 2013, 08:41 AM) *
Just not sold on his skills against Professional competition. We shall see. He will get a shot. I don't really want it to be with my team though.

I still think that the Browns get Manziel. Now that they're back to relying on Weeden, they won't finish as poorly as Jacksonville. Vikes will improve. I highly doubt the Giants go for him or Bridgewater because of their "franchise QB" ...so he probably won't be available for the Eagles.

if the Eagles pick any QB it'll probably be in the second round. I hope they get the new QB some TALL targets with fundamentals and speed like the Smurfs do. Riley Cooper has to go.

CT_Eagle
I am coming to agree with the opinion expressed in the title. I do not think that Foles can run the offense how Chip envisions it. As soon as Vick left the game, McCoy became ineffective against the Giants. It is a small sample I know but the Giants were able to shut McCoy down from that point forward.

Now that does not mean that I think Foles cannot be a good QB in the NFL. He has done nothing to date that indicates he does not have the tools to succeed. It's just that Chip is going to have to tailor his offense to Fole's strengths instead of Vick's. With Vick, Chip can run an option offense. With Foles it will have to be more traditional. McCoy will still be a weapon but Foles will have to force opponents to drop additional players into coverage by completing a high percentage of passes.
D Rock
That works both ways. As soon as Foles came in the run game stalled, true. But as soon as foles came in the pass game took off. Vick was 40% and a mess of field goals. Foles threw at over 65% and got touch downs.

Running the ball is great. But scoring is better.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 7 2013, 02:50 PM) *
That works both ways. As soon as Foles came in the run game stalled, true. But as soon as foles came in the pass game took off. Vick was 40% and a mess of field goals. Foles threw at over 65% and got touch downs.

Running the ball is great. But scoring is better.

Absolutely. What remains to be seen is what happens after Foles is the starter for a few games and the league starts to determine what he brings to the table. If he can consistently put numbers like yesterday defenses will have to start respecting the pass attack and take men out of the box. That will open things up for McCoy and then the traditional cat and mouse game between offensive and defensive coordinators will begin. That is when we will be able to get a true idea about the ability of Foles to be starting NFL QB.

I just wish we could find out this year what we have with Foles. Vick is not the long term answer simply due to his age. No need to get into the Vick debate. He will be north of 35 by the time this team is ready to compete.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.