Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We have big, big problems
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
C. Williams - as the 3rd CB in BAL, force into service with injuries, had a passer rating of 96 against him and the most penalties as a CB. He can't play

B. Fletcher - didn't start in Stl, can't play

E. Chung - was benched by a subpar defense in New England, we know why

E. Wolff - wasn't impressed by his highlight tape and this 5th rounder is brutal

K. Phillips - another bargain basement injury guy at S making four in six years. Still hurt so couldn't contirbute

I Sopoaga - such a good acq that he was replaced yesterday with Thornton at NT

J Casey - not good enough to get on the field yet we paid a bunch for him

Our #1 priority was to upgrade the defense. Barwin looks OK. Just OK. It is obvious that the talent evaluation in this organization is pitiful. They had a job to do and they failed miserably.

I had big concerns about B Davis as DC. I now have huge concerns. It's one thing to have P. Manning eat us alive. He's done that to many a team, especially regular season games recently. But to have 11 days to prepare and to have our DB's and LB's no where near the ball on so many passes was totally embarassing. If Manning is going to go 16-20 and threads the needle in tight coverage, you tip your cap to him. But to have guys continuously open by seven to ten yards is just poor coaching of piss poor talent. A good coach makes even our slop much closer to the ball then we were. The only thing I'll give this D as we tackle and wrap up well. It may be ten yards down the field, but that's it.

The lack of skill in talent evaluation will doom this team for years to come. I've seen Howie's work and we better move on now rather than later. He doesn't know what he is doing. Cut ties with him and Davis soon. They just ain't good enough.
mcnabbulous
This is a decade old problem. What defenders from this team would start on the 2002 team? Maybe Ryans? Cole?
Gee E
1. Small sample size.
2. Fletcher, Chung, Sopoaga and Casey aren't huge signing. All can be cut after 1 year with limited impact.
3. Who else was there to sign

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 30 2013, 10:40 PM) *
C. Williams - as the 3rd CB in BAL, force into service with injuries, had a passer rating of 96 against him and the most penalties as a CB. He can't play

B. Fletcher - didn't start in Stl, can't play

E. Chung - was benched by a subpar defense in New England, we know why

E. Wolff - wasn't impressed by his highlight tape and this 5th rounder is brutal

K. Phillips - another bargain basement injury guy at S making four in six years. Still hurt so couldn't contirbute

I Sopoaga - such a good acq that he was replaced yesterday with Thornton at NT

J Casey - not good enough to get on the field yet we paid a bunch for him

Our #1 priority was to upgrade the defense. Barwin looks OK. Just OK. It is obvious that the talent evaluation in this organization is pitiful. They had a job to do and they failed miserably.

I had big concerns about B Davis as DC. I now have huge concerns. It's one thing to have P. Manning eat us alive. He's done that to many a team, especially regular season games recently. But to have 11 days to prepare and to have our DB's and LB's no where near the ball on so many passes was totally embarassing. If Manning is going to go 16-20 and threads the needle in tight coverage, you tip your cap to him. But to have guys continuously open by seven to ten yards is just poor coaching of piss poor talent. A good coach makes even our slop much closer to the ball then we were. The only thing I'll give this D as we tackle and wrap up well. It may be ten yards down the field, but that's it.

The lack of skill in talent evaluation will doom this team for years to come. I've seen Howie's work and we better move on now rather than later. He doesn't know what he is doing. Cut ties with him and Davis soon. They just ain't good enough.

koolaidluke
I know it's not going to be popular but I really feel it isn't as bad as it looks.

First, on the subject of Davis' track record, yeah it's horrible but he ran a more aggressive scheme at other places. Kelly has insisted he run a very passive "bend but don't break" scheme and Davis has done a pretty good job installing it. It didn't work against Rivers or Manning the Elder but those are great QBs. The Stoolers back when they were good would routinely get torched by elite QBs but earned their money by shutting down the bums. I don't feel like the Eagles defense was any worse yesterday than Juan's was against the Patriots in 2011 and that D ended up finishing in the top 10. Remember the Eagles had a very strong defensive effort against KC just last week. Let's wait until there is a larger body of work to judge from.

On O I still feel the Eagles Oline is the best in the league. Celek is frustrating with his drops but he is putting up good numbers and you are not likely to find much of an upgrade there. Everybody is happy with Jackson, McCoy and Avant.

Vick I think there are some concerns about. He is putting up decent numbers but I just don't feel he is a good fit for what Kelly wants to do on offense. Vick's game is down the field and he is not made to run a ball control, short pass offense. That said, 2 of the Eagles 3 losses were because of issues on the defensive side of the ball.

Let's wait until after the Giants and Bucs games before we make any definitive statements about the talent level on this team.

Here are some pictures of Angie Varona: http://thechive.com/2013/08/20/the-return-...rona-28-photos/
D Rock
It looks like the problem is talent more than scheme. You can't scheme around an entire secondary of dog shit. You can scheme around a sub par safety. Or a weak corner. But you can't scheme around both. Especially when it's on both sides of the field.
HobbEs
Is Fletcher/Williams/Allen/Chung better than last year's heap of Asomugha/DRC/Allen/Coleman? I'd say yes although it's still early. IMO last year's crew had the talent but didn't give the effort. This year we just lack talent.

We all had our doubts about Bill Davis. We also knew it was going to take some time to acquire the personnel to run the 3-4. But I don't think any of us believed it would be this ugly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.