Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FWIW, NYG 3 point favorite next week
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Yep, subtract the home field and Vegas sees us even with an 0-4 team that has gotten crushed by less than powerhouse teams two weeks in a row.
koolaidluke
That's insanity. The Giants are starting to get it together but they just aren't very good this season. Their defense has improved from abysmal to mediocre but they simply cannot score at all.

The Eagles are a pretty good team. Peyton Manning had TWO plays over 17 yards today. The Eagles D is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: force QBs to beat them underneath. Rivers did it and Peyton did it, but there are no QBs on the schedule besides Cutler and Rogers who will be able to do that effectively.

As for the Eagles O, they continue to grind up yards even if they are struggling in the red zone. Some people continue to insist this is a top 5 unit and I don't believe that, but I still think it is one of the 10 best offenses in football.

That the Eagles absolutely pulverize the Giants next Sunday is extremely likely.
xsv
You and mcnabbulus should go out and form a lottery ticket club. You guys are so optimistic, tho, that t you'd probably only buy 1 ticket.
koolaidluke
I said that the Chargers would handle the Eagles without a problem, was that over optimistic?
HOUSEoPAIN
Peyton Manning had TWO plays over 17 yards today.

Yes - and he also had 35 first downs and put up 38 fucking points, while sitting out most of the 1st and 4th quarters. If he wasn't on the bench for most of that time, they would've put up 60 points.

The Eagles D is doing exactly what it is supposed to do: force QBs to beat them underneath.

The defense is supposed to give up less points than we score. There also weren't any turnovers either way, which makes it even worse - it's not like they had to start from their own 20. Will you shut up about the defense? It's historically bad, stocked with players from a 4-12 team that shouldn't be in the NFL.

We might beat the Giants, but Eli is sure going to have a field day against our secondary. Get ready to watch a lot of Cruz salsa dances.
HobbEs
The Eagles are a pretty good team.

What universe do you live in where a 1 win team is pretty good? We're three years away from being a pretty good team.
xsv
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Sep 30 2013, 10:08 AM) *
What universe do you live in where a 1 win team is pretty good? We're three years away from being a pretty good team.

I don't know about 3 years. Things can turn around in a hurry. But we're definitely going to have one of the top 5 picks in the draft next year.
koolaidluke
All three of those losses were to teams that are going to be in the playoffs. You saw against Washington what the Eagles do to crappy teams.

Chip Kelly's teams at Oregon were always world beaters against bad and mediocre teams. It was against the good teams that Kelly had more mixed results. I expect this years Eagles to be the same way: utter dominance against mediocre teams, struggles against good teams and then be destroyed completely by elite teams.

You can get very far in the NFL just beating bad and mediocre teams. Reid's inability to do just that over the last two season ended up costing him is job.

I agree that the Eagles aren't an elite team, but they are clearly the best team in the division.
mcnabbulous
Good against mediocre and bad teams, mixed results against good teams, can't beat the AFC, can't beat Peyton Manning. Oh my god, guys.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 30 2013, 06:27 PM) *
Good against mediocre and bad teams, mixed results against good teams, can't beat the AFC, can't beat Peyton Manning. Oh my god, guys.

A distinct feeling of deju vu right now.

I'm looking for big improvements against our competition for a top five pick in the next two weeks.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 30 2013, 01:51 PM) *
A distinct feeling of deju vu right now.

I'm looking for big improvements against our competition for a top five pick in the next two weeks.

Almost every good coach will meet this criteria. It's the bad ones who lose to the bad and mediocre teams.
People have bitched about this stuff for years, but it's the case across the board. Unless you have one of the elite QBs, you aren't going to regularly beat teams with them.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 30 2013, 03:54 PM) *
Unless you have one of the elite QBs, you aren't going to regularly beat teams with them.

Exactly. Like Alex Smith and Brian Hoyer.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 30 2013, 04:23 PM) *
Exactly. Like Alex Smith and Brian Hoyer.

Have those guys been beating elite QBs? I'm confused by this statement.
Dreagon
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 29 2013, 10:37 PM) *
Yep, subtract the home field and Vegas sees us even with an 0-4 team that has gotten crushed by less than powerhouse teams two weeks in a row.

And yet if y'all beat the Giants this coming week, you guys will probably be tied with us for first place in the NFC East at 2-3.
D Rock
Hooray. Leaders of the loser patrol.
Dreagon
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 1 2013, 09:29 AM) *
Hooray. Leaders of the loser patrol.

We're going to be the first division in the NFL to have their champion's fans show up to their playoff game with bags over their heads. ph34r.gif
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 1 2013, 10:38 AM) *
We're going to be the first division in the NFL to have their champion's fans show up to their playoff game with bags over their heads. ph34r.gif

I heard Jason Garrett interviewed on the truly atrocious Mike and Mike show this morning and he was surprisingly likable. He always acts like such an ass on the sidelines so it was weird to hear him offer really well spoken and thoughtful replies.

I cannot stand Jerry, worst owner in football now that Davis is no longer with us, but I kinda admire him for keeping Garrett around. I think owners are too quick to make the coaching change sometimes. Then again it could just be that Jerry knows that decent coach would be wiling to put up with his bullshit so he is sticking with Garrett out of default.

As for the Cowboys, they need to get their shit together on defense. Enough with these retreads like Ryan and Kiffin. Bring in a younger guy with a fresh approach. I'm sick of all this focus on big names and experience at the expense of actual quality, but that's Jerry for you. All style and no substance.

I would feel sorry for Cowboys fans but they are so delusional about their team that the endless cycle of mediocrity doesn't seem to bother them very much.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 30 2013, 08:54 PM) *
Almost every good coach will meet this criteria. It's the bad ones who lose to the bad and mediocre teams.
People have bitched about this stuff for years, but it's the case across the board. Unless you have one of the elite QBs, you aren't going to regularly beat teams with them.

And if Kelly loses to the VaGiants and Bucs then he is a bad coach.

Even if we win, it's not that much of an achievement. What is important is not merely that we win, but that we play well and then build on those good performances for the rest of the season.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 1 2013, 01:46 PM) *
And if Kelly loses to the VaGiants and Bucs then he is a bad coach.

Nope - That's not what I'm saying. It's consistently losing to teams with less talent. At this point, our defensive talent is pretty pathetic. Which we all seem to acknowledge this year, but no one was willing to accept when Andy was struggling the past few years.

The problem for most of the past decade, even during JJ's final few seasons, was deteriorating talent on the defensive side of the ball. It was a product of consistent draft failures.

We drafted one (1) starting caliber defender since 2005 (Trent Cole.) And he's not even best suited for the defense he's in. The 2nd year guys (Cox, Kendricks, Boykin) have potential, but that's about it right now. Otherwise, every other guy was acquired elsewhere or shouldn't be starting in the NFL.

This is why we've been no better than an above average franchise since the mid 2000's. Not because of wasted timeouts or challenges. Not because we were predictable. Because we are a middle of the road talent team. Even worse on the defensive side of the ball.

JJ hid some of those flaws. Since then, we've become less talented and don't have a mad genius calling the plays.

HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 1 2013, 11:52 AM) *
As for the Cowboys, they need to get their shit together on defense. Enough with these retreads like Ryan and Kiffin. Bring in a younger guy with a fresh approach.

Traditional 'good' defense is going the way of the do-do. The rules completely favor offense, especially the passing game, and that will continue to be a snowball rolling downhill. Maybe some new young defensive coaches will find a way to get past that.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 08:42 PM) *
At this point, our defensive talent is pretty pathetic. Which we all seem to acknowledge this year, but no one was willing to accept when Andy was struggling the past few years.

Oh, it's been acknowledged. The difference, is that Reid assembled that garbage while Chippah merely got a shitty hand dealt to him. Chips gets a pass because it's not yet his roster. Reid didn't get a pass for the talent shortcomings because he was responsible for those shortcomings.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 1 2013, 04:12 PM) *
Oh, it's been acknowledged. The difference, is that Reid assembled that garbage while Chippah merely got a shitty hand dealt to him. Chips gets a pass because it's not yet his roster. Reid didn't get a pass for the talent shortcomings because he was responsible for those shortcomings.

I think that's fair for Chip, but the criticism for the past decade has been on Reid the Coach. People were unwilling to separate the Coach from the GM. In fact, most people wanted Andy the GM, not Andy the Coach.

He never should have had the role of GM. It's a full-time job. One of the most demanding in sports. The same can be said for being a Head Coach. Probably even more so. How one person can be expected to excel at both is beyond me.

If Chip is ultimately responsible for building this roster, he'll fail there too. What we need is strength at evaluating talent and that starts with the GM.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 04:23 PM) *

What we need is strength at evaluating talent and that starts with the GM.

How's that working for us?

From where I sit, our GM's talent evaluation is woefully short of playoff caliber quality and may even be bottom of the barrell bad.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 1 2013, 04:44 PM) *
How's that working for us?

From where I sit, our GM's talent evaluation is woefully short of playoff caliber quality and may even be bottom of the barrell bad.

As seen on Wikipedia...

Since taking over as General Manager The Philadelphia Eagles record is as follows-
2010 10 Wins-6 Losses
2011 8 Wins-8 Losses
2012 4 Wins- 12 Losses
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 09:23 PM) *
I think that's fair for Chip, but the criticism for the past decade has been on Reid the Coach.

Don't ask me to explain other people's stupidity.
If Chip is ultimately responsible for building this roster, he'll fail there too.

Based on what? I'm not disagreeing, but you've got little to go on in judging Chip as a talent evaluator at present.
What we need is strength at evaluating talent and that starts with the GM.

Again, no disagreement here.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 1 2013, 06:54 PM) *
Based on what? I'm not disagreeing, but you've got little to go on in judging Chip as a talent evaluator at present.

I don't really think any NFL coach is truly capable of fulfilling both roles, due to the significant responsibilities required of each.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 04:49 PM) *
As seen on Wikipedia...

Since taking over as General Manager The Philadelphia Eagles record is as follows-
2010 10 Wins-6 Losses
2011 8 Wins-8 Losses
2012 4 Wins- 12 Losses

I know Reid went in the shitter but I was referring to Howie.

Totally unimpressed with what I've seen from him so far.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 1 2013, 08:07 PM) *
I was referring to Howie.

Totally unimpressed with what I've seen from him so far.

Me too
JeeQ
After this Sunday we have a good chance of being the best team in our division... biggrin.gif

2-3 and sitting on top! It's going to be a fun season.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I expect Eagles to win big against Gints, with plenty of big plays from the O and an occasional first hit tackle from the D. I expect Eagles fans to be doing a lot of Fly Eagles Fly chanting in this next one. Got my budweiser chillin' in the firdge .... all ready to whoop it up a bit ...
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 1 2013, 10:52 AM) *
I cannot stand Jerry, worst owner in football now that Davis is no longer with us, but I kinda admire him for keeping Garrett around. I think owners are too quick to make the coaching change sometimes. Then again it could just be that Jerry knows that decent coach would be wiling to put up with his bullshit so he is sticking with Garrett out of default.

As for the Cowboys, they need to get their shit together on defense. Enough with these retreads like Ryan and Kiffin. Bring in a younger guy with a fresh approach. I'm sick of all this focus on big names and experience at the expense of actual quality, but that's Jerry for you. All style and no substance.

Trust me, a lot of old school Dallas fans are not terribly fond of Mr. Jones either.

What gets me about our defense is that we brought in a guy who runs a 4-3 defense with zone coverage, and we have the personnel for a 3-4 defense that does man to man. And while I think the guys on our line have done a decent job of adapting, I'm a little cheesed that after we finally got a couple of decent man-to-man corners we went and changed their defense to a zone...and then look surprised when they don't look as good.
koolaidluke
I haven't seen the games. Has the problem been more with the coverage or the run D?

I thought that Kiffin had gotten away from using a lot of zone coverage? Is he back to his old ways?

Trust me, a lot of old school Dallas fans are not terribly fond of Mr. Jones either.

I can believe that but literally every single Dallas fan I have met in person loves him. And they ALWAYS expect the team to be good. It is so much different that Eagles or Giants fans who are usually extremely cynical about their teams.
Dreagon
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 2 2013, 02:02 PM) *
I haven't seen the games. Has the problem been more with the coverage or the run D?

I thought that Kiffin had gotten away from using a lot of zone coverage? Is he back to his old ways?

I can believe that but literally every single Dallas fan I have met in person loves him. And they ALWAYS expect the team to be good. It is so much different that Eagles or Giants fans who are usually extremely cynical about their teams.

Our run D has actually been pretty good. Like I said, our line adapted pretty quick. But we've looked lost at times in coverage. We made Phillip Rivers look like Peyton Manning.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 05:49 PM) *
2010 10 Wins-6 Losses
2011 8 Wins-8 Losses
2012 4 Wins- 12 Losses

That's a pretty rock solid equivalent to what the Phillies have done under Amaro.....
make_it_rain
I generally lean towards the (relatively) optimistic side when evaluating the eagles, but I'll go on the record and say it now:

Eagles lose to the Giants on Sunday.

The Giants line has been pretty awful so far, but they've also been playing good defenses that are actually capable of generating pass rush, something this group is not. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eli get ample time on Sunday, kick back, and return to respectable form carving up the abortion of a secondary we put out on the field.

Giants apply a similar formula used to contain the offense we've seen the last couple of weeks, throw in a few Eagles turnovers, and there you have it. Giants do just enough to win a close one.

30-24 Giants
koolaidluke
Phillip Rivers is a stud. He was suffering for years from Turner's bad coaching but has come alive now that he has a good HC.
koolaidluke
Eli isn't the type to carve you up. He likes to go down the field, the one thing the Eagles D can take away.

Not only are the Giants not very good, this is a terrible matchup for them.

Eagles by 2 scores. 27-17.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2013, 08:37 PM) *
I don't really think any NFL coach is truly capable of fulfilling both roles, due to the significant responsibilities required of each.

I couldn't agree more. I believe it is impossible to have sustained success in both roles, although Belichik may be the exception.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 2 2013, 04:08 PM) *
I couldn't agree more. I believe it is impossible to have sustained success in both roles, although Belichik may be the exception.

Belichick is a classic example proving my point. That roster has deteriorated since Pioli and Dimitroff left town.

The only reason the Patriots continue to thrive is because of Brady. Otherwise, that roster is middle of the pack, at best.
koolaidluke
But the D is still putting up pretty good numbers.

Also I don't feel like Belichik is coaching poorly. Andy's assumption of GM responsibilities clearly made him a worse coach. Although it is early in the season, I feel like he is showing much more as an HC this year in KC than he did the last two seasons in Philly.
Bez
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Oct 2 2013, 04:34 PM) *
But the D is still putting up pretty good numbers.

Also I don't feel like Belichik is coaching poorly. Andy's assumption of GM responsibilities clearly made him a worse coach. Although it is early in the season, I feel like he is showing much more as an HC this year in KC than he did the last two seasons in Philly.
Now if I said that , I would have DROck crapping all over me . laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.