Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So what do we do about Maclin?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
make_it_rain
At the conclusion of this season, if they don't bring Mac back, WR will be up there with safety as a glaring need. Losing Maclin, and even to a much lesser extent Arrelious Benn, was a huge loss. It's made our receiving corps pretty one dimensional.

Riley Cooper is garbage. He has no business as a WR4, much less as a starter opposite Jackson. What's worse, opposing defenses know he sucks, so they simply just key in on Jackson and at the end of the day we're basically starting one WR and one glorified blocker.

Who else is on the roster...... Damaris Johnson? Jeff Mahel? Has Mahel even played a snap this season? I love Avant, and he has great hands, but he's more of a slot guy and isn't very fast. The team needs to find a legit receiver to line up opposite Jackson.

So when Maclin comes back, what do you think we should do? Resign him to an incentive heavy deal? Let him walk? Will other teams offer him more $ (most likely, given the history of past resignings).

If he walks, we likely get a compensatory pick, but are now on the hook to find a suitable #2. I don't think anyone currently on the roster is the answer.
xsv
I think Mac is a good #2, but I don't think he's be that hard to replace, given a full off season and draft.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Sep 24 2013, 04:52 PM) *
At the conclusion of this season, if they don't bring Mac back, WR will be up there with safety as a glaring need. Losing Maclin, and even to a much lesser extent Arrelious Benn, was a huge loss. It's made our receiving corps pretty one dimensional.

Riley Cooper is garbage. He has no business as a WR4, much less as a starter opposite Jackson. What's worse, opposing defenses know he sucks, so they simply just key in on Jackson and at the end of the day we're basically starting one WR and one glorified blocker.

Who else is on the roster...... Damaris Johnson? Jeff Mahel? Has Mahel even played a snap this season? I love Avant, and he has great hands, but he's more of a slot guy and isn't very fast. The team needs to find a legit receiver to line up opposite Jackson.

So when Maclin comes back, what do you think we should do? Resign him to an incentive heavy deal? Let him walk? Will other teams offer him more $ (most likely, given the history of past resignings).

If he walks, we likely get a compensatory pick, but are now on the hook to find a suitable #2. I don't think anyone currently on the roster is the answer.

the thing I hate most about KKKooper is that Vick (bless his heart) treats him like he's actually gonna beat those defenders or actually give a crap about catching that ball. Avant (albeit a little slower and thus he knows his role) is a much better receiver than Pooper is.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 24 2013, 04:25 PM) *
I think Mac is a good #2, but I don't think he's be that hard to replace, given a full off season and draft.

Given the amount of holes on this roster, adding one more crucial piece to the puzzle is concerning.

I think resigning Maclin is important, especially given what we have seen from his replacements.

Remember, we need to find a QB of the future, build an entire secondary, pickup other miscellaneous pieces on defense, get a new RG. What am I missing?
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 24 2013, 05:53 PM) *
Given the amount of holes on this roster, adding one more crucial piece to the puzzle is concerning.

I think resigning Maclin is important, especially given what we have seen from his replacements.

Remember, we need to find a QB of the future, build an entire secondary, pickup other miscellaneous pieces on defense, get a new RG. What am I missing?

I think that's a pretty fair argument.
TGryn
I don't think there's anyone left in either the front office or coaching staff who were in the loop when Maclin was drafted; there's no one left to advocate his case among the Eagles' braintrust. In those "orphan" cases, teams tend to want to replace guys with ones they (coaches or players) select themselves.

I expect the Eagles to offer Maclin a "prove it" 1-year contract, and another team like Cleveland or KC or Indy to offer him better.
JeeQ
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 24 2013, 02:52 PM) *
the thing I hate most about KKKooper is that Vick (bless his heart) treats him like he's actually gonna beat those defenders or actually give a crap about catching that ball. Avant (albeit a little slower and thus he knows his role) is a much better receiver than Pooper is.

"Remember The Way Riley Cooper Took Over That Game?" said by No One Ever. Every time Vick throws a pass his way Cooper is ducking out of the way of it rather then attempting to catch it. Maybe Riley Cooper only catches passes from White QBs? wink.gif

I was screaming all through camp and preseason our offense will be stymied simply because of our lack of quality WRs. The Chipper is running the spread which means we need three WRs to be considered plausible threats.

We currently have one that fits the bill.

Since some of you believe this is a wash season anyways I'm still all for bringing in T.O. and Ocho. Fuck how you feel about them they'd be huge upgrades in every way.
Jax
Cooper can be a good complement with the right players around him. He can do some things well but they don't work as a starting WR. He has to be a 3rd or 4th WR. Our losses at WR this season are apparently hurting us more than we expected.
make_it_rain
We should be blowing up Brandon Lloyd's cell. I think he's acting or some shit though, so it sounds like he doesn't want to come back to the NFL. There was rumors that Josh Gordon was on the trade block in the Cleveland firesale, but I don't think there's much substance to them.

Looking at the 2014 Free Agents for wide receivers, it's slim pickings.... Eric Decker, Anquan Boldin, Darius Heyward Bey, Jacoby Jones.....etc.

My best guess is we either pony up to bring Mac back, or look to the draft. With as many needs as we have at other positions though, looking to grab a starting WR in the draft in addition to other needs will make shit VERY interesting.
Zero
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 24 2013, 09:09 PM) *
I expect the Eagles to offer Maclin a "prove it" 1-year contract, and another team like Cleveland or KC or Indy to offer him better.

The problem with that is his knee. The Eagles will know his rehab and his health much better than other teams will. They also know the person. I think they keep him on that one year deal.
HobbEs
I don't know why we don't start Johnson and go with the Smurfs look.
HOUSEoPAIN
Apart from his off-the-field crap, years from now Cooper will be most remembered for being the guy that Vick targeted in that one crucial play at the end of that one playoff game we lost where the Green Bay guy intercepted it.

I like Avant but he's getting old, DJax is fine. Keep Maclin on for a year and see what he's got. It looks like Ertz will be good, and if Celek chips in I don't see how this is a bad look for next year. The TEs will get a lot of looks in Chip's system, and with McCoy in the backfield that's enough weapons with a solid QB.

Edit: The Williams interception is likely also going to be what Vick is remembered for here.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 24 2013, 10:20 PM) *
"Remember The Way Riley Cooper Took Over That Game?" said by No One Ever. Every time Vick throws a pass his way Cooper is ducking out of the way of it rather then attempting to catch it. Maybe Riley Cooper only catches passes from White QBs? wink.gif

I was screaming all through camp and preseason our offense will be stymied simply because of our lack of quality WRs. The Chipper is running the spread which means we need three WRs to be considered plausible threats.

We currently have one that fits the bill.

Since some of you believe this is a wash season anyways I'm still all for bringing in T.O. and Ocho. Fuck how you feel about them they'd be huge upgrades in every way.

lol yeah him Jackson were "open all night" laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.