Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: It's never as bad (or as good) as it looks
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Anyone remember the second half of the 2004 SB? Seemed like the Pats knew every D set JJ sent out in that half (oh yeah, he did steal the signals in the first half).

Felt like that all day yesterday and then I took a look at history, and oh gee Whisenhunt (Bolts OC) was head coach of AZ w Davis as his DC. It looks to me like Davis did nothing to disguise his D from his old HC and Rivers had a field day knowing what our D was going to do all day long. That does not speak well for Davis, or excuse the piss poor coverage we saw yesterday, but when a team knows what you are doing it makes it that much harder.

Hopefully our new DC can learn from this and put our D in a position that isn't so obvious to opposing offenses.

Just thought that this should be pointed out.
SAM I Am
We have to take it one game at a time.

They left it all on the field.

We have to play a full 60 minutes.

Blah, blah, blah...

It is what it is.
Jax
In the case of our defense I am afraid it is as bad as it looks. I'd hope for improvement except for the fact that we don't have enough NFL talent on Defense.
Rick
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 16 2013, 08:31 PM) *
In the case of our defense I am afraid it is as bad as it looks. I'd hope for improvement except for the fact that we don't have enough NFL talent on Defense.

And that, my friends, is the problem. No talent in that secondary is going to be a continual problem this season. You can't shore up a defense if you don't have the player to do it with.
koolaidluke
What were people saying in early 2011 when our defense looked even worse than it has these past two weeks? That D finished in the top 10.

It is insane to say that this defense is horrible after just two games. Maybe the defense will have a horrible season but it is extremely premature to think that what you are seeing now is what you are going to get.

On that same note, expect the Eagles offense to come down to earth in a big way as more film accumulates on them. Vick looked unstoppable in late 2010 before Lovie Smith and Perry Fewell cracked his code.
Jax
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 17 2013, 07:09 AM) *
What were people saying in early 2011 when our defense looked even worse than it has these past two weeks? That D finished in the top 10.

It is insane to say that this defense is horrible after just two games. Maybe the defense will have a horrible season but it is extremely premature to think that what you are seeing now is what you are going to get.

On that same note, expect the Eagles offense to come down to earth in a big way as more film accumulates on them. Vick looked unstoppable in late 2010 before Lovie Smith and Perry Fewell cracked his code.

I have hope for us at DL and LB. Perhaps a small but of hope at CB for Boykin, Poyer and Williams. I have no hope for our Safeties. Bottom line though, the talent isn't there for this to be a defense contending for anything too meaningful.
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 17 2013, 12:23 PM) *
I have hope for us at DL and LB. Perhaps a small but of hope at CB for Boykin, Poyer and Williams. I have no hope for our Safeties. Bottom line though, the talent isn't there for this to be a defense contending for anything too meaningful.

I think they could be top 16 if everything came together. And top 16 is actually above average when you consider that they have to face more possessions then any other team.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 17 2013, 04:36 PM) *
I think they could be top 16 if everything came together. And top 16 is actually above average when you consider that they have to face more possessions then any other team.

If the norm for this offense is to score as quickly it did on Sunday, the Eagle's defense is going to be on the field a lot. I do not think you are going to be able to rank this defense using the standard yards allowed. They are always going to give up a ton of yards due to being on the field so much. The true barometer will be the amount of points per game allowed.

I never understood why defensive rankings were based on yards per game anyway.
koolaidluke
I meant 16th in terms of points. I agree that the yards allowed is stupid. Yards allowed only matters insofar as it is correlated with points allowed.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 16 2013, 08:31 PM) *
In the case of our defense I am afraid it is as bad as it looks.

Actually, I think it's WORSE than it looks.

We'll learn more as the season progresses. Right now, we face a potential 1-15 season. And that's me being optimistic.

So much so that I'm not even planning to watch Thursday's gsme in real time. I'll DVR it and watch it later.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.