Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did we learn yesterday ?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Bocadelphia Eagles John
1. This team MUST score first. We canNOT start out behind, not even by 3 points.

2. Our D does NOT know how to adjust. That's a coaching problem. AND a talent problem. In other words, we're fucked.

3. We MUST win every coin toss so that we can choose to get the ball first to give us that chance at being the first to score. If we loose the toss, go home, we loose the game. And when we win the toss, it's 50/50 we will still loose the game.

4. If the other team scores first, go home. The game is over.

5. For me, I learned that Monday mornings still have the potential to suck.

6. I have to alter my prediction of our chances to win the NFC East. We have 0% chance. In fact, we might even have a minus anything chance.

8. We don't have a secondary. We do, but we might as well not. Because what we have stinks.
mcnabbulous
Washington scored first wink.gif
Birdman420
What I saw was Kelly running a very vanilla offense compared to the first game against Washington, I didn't see the hustle or abstract play calls I was expecting. I think this is because Kelly wrote off the chargers as a win and why waste his playbook if his team can win on talent.

The defense did stink up the joint and honestly it cost us the game, I did however see a rising star in boykin filling in for fletcher and that is the one bright spot I see on our defense. Maybe boykin can play for allen when fletcher comes back in to upgrade our secondary.

Cary Williams looked completely undisciplined and he alone kept giving the chargers a fresh chance at getting the ball down the field.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Sep 16 2013, 10:15 AM) *
1. This team MUST score first. We canNOT start out behind, not even by 3 points.

2. Our D does NOT know how to adjust. That's a coaching problem. AND a talent problem. In other words, we're fucked.

3. We MUST win every coin toss so that we can choose to get the ball first to give us that chance at being the first to score. If we loose the toss, go home, we loose the game. And when we win the toss, it's 50/50 we will still loose the game.

4. If the other team scores first, go home. The game is over.

5. For me, I learned that Monday mornings still have the potential to suck.

6. I have to alter my prediction of our chances to win the NFC East. We have 0% chance. In fact, we might even have a minus anything chance.

8. We don't have a secondary. We do, but we might as well not. Because what we have stinks.

7. We learned how to count to 8 biggrin.gif

Scoring first doesn't matter, but going 75 yards in 4 plays in 1:20 hurts our already shitty defense by putting them back out there. I would hope what Chip is learning is how to better control the clock, McCoy got 20 less carries yesterday than against the Redskins, and having an up-tempo offense is doubly effective when you're out there for 10+ plays, as we did several times in week 1. There's nothing wrong with stretching the field and getting a quick strike, but our approach should be longer drives, with the same tempo. That'll kill their defense, while letting ours rest a bit - and more importantly, keep those scrubs off the field.

Peyton Manning could drop 60 points on us.
Dr. Claw
1. The defense sucks. Particularly the secondary, but they're still giving up 3rd and forevers. it's like McDillweed never left.
HobbEs
We learned how good Phillip Rivers really is. He's an accurate QB with a quick release and he absolutely shredded our defense.

Looking at the remaining schedule we have Peyton Manning, Eli Manning twice and Aaron Rogers. There's no one else who makes me cringe. Stafford, Cutler and Romo will probably put up good numbers...hell, everyone we face will have good numbers. At least we won't be facing elite QBs week in and out...
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 16 2013, 10:42 AM) *

hahaha ... busted !
Dreagon
I learned that Andy Reid is still the same guy he always was. He has a running back like Jamaal Charles and does nothing but throw, and has a QB like Alex Smith and STILL depends on his QB legs to extend the play. And, of course, he's down to one timeout long before the two minute warning in either half.

On the other hand, I've also learned that our coaches have the memory span of a gnat because they have totally forgotten who Andy Reid is, and stood on the sidelines with looks of dull surprise as Andy went about running things the way HE ALWAYS HAS!! Oh, and to counter Andy's abysmal time management, our coaches look at seventeen seconds left on the clock with the ball deep in our territory and call a short screen up the middle! Even the announcers said "What was THAT?"

So in summation...I have learned that the more things change, the more I'm still trying not to throw stuff at the TV because I've seen it all before.
mcnabbulous
Charles had 4 more rushes that Demarco Murray and 5 more than Shady. He also had 8 catches...

and they won.

Alex Smith averaged 7.4 yards per carry, so his use of legs was pretty efficient. He also didn't turn the ball over.

I'd say things are going as planned for Big Red.
Jax
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Sep 16 2013, 11:30 AM) *
We learned how good Phillip Rivers really is. He's an accurate QB with a quick release and he absolutely shredded our defense.

Disagree. I think Rivers is middle of the pack as NFL QB's go. SD's offense is also. We will make every offense and QB looks great. I could've hit some of those passes with the amount of time Rivers had, especially since he only needed to throw the ball to a general area because there were no defenders within 5-10 yards.
D Rock
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 16 2013, 02:42 PM) *

laugh.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 16 2013, 05:43 PM) *
Disagree. I think Rivers is middle of the pack as NFL QB's go. SD's offense is also. We will make every offense and QB looks great. I could've hit some of those passes with the amount of time Rivers had, especially since he only needed to throw the ball to a general area because there were no defenders within 5-10 yards.

Agreed. Rivers didn't do anything that most NCAA QBs would have done. Most of his big completions, the guy was WIDE open and Royal had to stop and wait for the ball more often than not. Alas, our defenders were far enough away that they still couldn't get there to disrupt the completion, but I put no stock in Rivers having done anything to adjust my view of him as essentially middle of the pack at this point in his career. Anybody could have completed 70% of his passes against that defense yesterday.
koolaidluke
Meh, your team stacked the box all day. Chip Kelly went all air when the Chargers stacked the box so there is nothing wrong with Andy doing the same.

koolaidluke
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 16 2013, 12:57 PM) *
Alex Smith averaged 7.4 yards per carry, so his use of legs was pretty efficient. He also didn't turn the ball over.

I'd say things are going as planned for Big Red.

haters gonna hate.

That said, the Chiefs offense has been absolutely putrid. It could be in part due to the typical disaster Oline that Reid coached teams inevitably start the season with. It usually takes until week 3 for the offensive line of a Reid coached team to be even mediocre, let alone good.

We'll have to see if the Chiefs offense improves as the season goes on. They look to have an elite defense so if they can put up 25 points a game then they are viable contenders.
Jax
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 02:00 PM) *
haters gonna hate.

That said, the Chiefs offense has been absolutely putrid. It could be in part due to the typical disaster Oline that Reid coached teams inevitably start the season with. It usually takes until week 3 for the offensive line of a Reid coached team to be even mediocre, let alone good.

We'll have to see if the Chiefs offense improves as the season goes on. They look to have an elite defense so if they can put up 25 points a game then they are viable contenders.

Averaging 25 is no simple task for an offense but I'll bet KC will put up over 25 this week.
Bez
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Sep 16 2013, 11:40 AM) *
I learned that Andy Reid is still the same guy he always was. He has a running back like Jamaal Charles and does nothing but throw, and has a QB like Alex Smith and STILL depends on his QB legs to extend the play. And, of course, he's down to one timeout long before the two minute warning in either half.

On the other hand, I've also learned that our coaches have the memory span of a gnat because they have totally forgotten who Andy Reid is, and stood on the sidelines with looks of dull surprise as Andy went about running things the way HE ALWAYS HAS!! Oh, and to counter Andy's abysmal time management, our coaches look at seventeen seconds left on the clock with the ball deep in our territory and call a short screen up the middle! Even the announcers said "What was THAT?"

So in summation...I have learned that the more things change, the more I'm still trying not to throw stuff at the TV because I've seen it all before.
Not so fast there , there is another angle to consider. KC defense looks great , but the offense depth is lacking as far as I can tell. Its only a matter of time before Charles is going to get hurt and in fact he wasn't 100% & got hurt in the game opener.IF he cant play all they will have is the pass period and the receiving corps ain't that deep either. I understand your reasoning but I think we should wait and see how things go especially in this case. Andy's tendency to do what he has done in the past may be the best strategy for the time being and he isnt running everything so chances are if he needs to adjust there will be enough pressure to make that happen.

Now as far as the NFC is concerned I learned Seattle can be really really good , and Green Bay is going to hang around the top barring to many injuries.
Bez
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 16 2013, 01:17 PM) *
Averaging 25 is no simple task for an offense but I'll bet KC will put up over 25 this week.
I dont know what to expect and am not sure if I will watch streaming or go out for pizza . What I do know is there will be a day after the game and lots to say here . I think I will wait till after the game especially seeing I am really 50/50 as far as this goes and neither team is going to the SB other than to watch .
koolaidluke
QUOTE (Bez @ Sep 16 2013, 02:41 PM) *
I dont know what to expect and am not sure if I will watch streaming or go out for pizza . What I do know is there will be a day after the game and lots to say here . I think I will wait till after the game especially seeing I am really 50/50 as far as this goes and neither team is going to the SB other than to watch .

If the Eagles don't go to the Superbowl nobody will care because they don't have the defense to contend yet. But if the Chiefs are not seriously contending this season that is a huge failure for Reid because the Chiefs have all the pieces.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 01:54 PM) *
If the Eagles don't go to the Superbowl nobody will care because they don't have the defense to contend yet. But if the Chiefs are not seriously contending this season that is a huge failure for Reid because the Chiefs have all the pieces.

It does seem like they are well positioned. The Broncos are the obvious favorite in that division, but I think they could legitimately stake claim to a top-6 ranking in the AFC with that defense.

I've said for years that Andy was much better when he was forced to coach someone else's players. Primarily because he is simply awful at drafting on the defensive side of the ball. A role he never should have had to begin with.

They will, at least, compete in most every game they play this season. I also expect them to get better as the season progresses, which is pretty standard for Andy's teams. The fact that they are 2-0 bodes very well for their chances.
koolaidluke
The Eagles started 2 and 0 last year and in a more impressive fashion than the Chefs. They struggled with turnovers but were moving the ball well. This Chiefs offense absolutely stinks.

Very tall order for the Chefs against the Eagles. Got to go with the Eagles in this one.

After that, we shall see.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 02:42 PM) *
The Eagles started 2 and 0 last year and in a more impressive fashion than the Chefs. They struggled with turnovers but were moving the ball well. This Chiefs offense absolutely stinks.

Very tall order for the Chefs against the Eagles. Got to go with the Eagles in this one.

After that, we shall see.

Given the turnovers, I don't think last year was more impressive than much of anything. They won those game by a combined 2 points.

The first few weeks of an NFL season are always a crapshoot. I wouldn't quite say the Chiefs offense stinks. They're playing together for the first time in a system that has proven to take time to gel. The fact that they won't be responsible for carrying the team will have significant benefits over the course of the season.

Andy knew (much like Chip knows) that the offense is going to have to put up major points to compete on a weekly basis. The Chiefs have the luxury of being able to play more conservatively on offense.

I actually agree with you that this week's matchup favors the Eagles. I don't think KC will have the firepower to keep up with our offense, which I expect to put up big numbers again. I would expect something in the 35-24 range.
Bez
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 01:54 PM) *

Not if Charles gets hurt and he got hurt in pre season and last week. I simply don't see the depth and that isn't a first year coaches fault . I think the Chiefs are good enough to make a statement but that is about it unless the offense really morphs and someone else has some ability to step in for Charles when needed.

I learned something else that hasn't totally sunk in . I now know why teams look for star QBs that are winners from the get go. It explains alot about why college ball and the NFL has lost some of its magic. Capable Starting qb rookies are cheap and more money can be spent on the remaining depth of the team . It appears to me to be as much of an issue for fair competition as things were back in the Bill Walsh era and really isn't good for the sport overall.
Jax
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 02:54 PM) *

They don't have the offense to go to a Super Bowl.
koolaidluke
If the Eagles score over 30 against this defense you might as well put Chip in Canton now.

Eagles win 23-17.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 16 2013, 08:51 PM) *
If the Eagles score over 30 against this defense you might as well put Chip in Canton now.

Eagles win 23-17.

I just spit water on my screen.

If the Chargers only score 17 points this week, I'll be shocked (or whatever word is stronger than shocked). Our defense is horrible.
koolaidluke
We're playing the Chiefs. Their offense is insanely bad. Alex Smith is currently averaging less than 6 yards per attempt.

One thing history teaches us is that a bad defense beats a bad offense. And the Eagles D isn't even as bad as people are making out.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 17 2013, 02:36 AM) *
We're playing the Chiefs. Their offense is insanely bad. Alex Smith is currently averaging less than 6 yards per attempt.

One thing history teaches us is that a bad defense beats a bad offense. And the Eagles D isn't even as bad as people are making out.

I don't know, that secondary seems every bit as bad as people are making it out to be. They couldn't cover me and let's just say I'm not fleet of foot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.