Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Preseason Predictions
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Jax
I posted all over every thread that I thought we'd win 5-6 games because it is too hard to win 38-34 type games. I looked a little silly after the great week 1 win but it appears that was on the money. Is there any way this defense all of the sudden gets better than what they showed today? I don't see it happening. We are short on talent, plain and simple.
koolaidluke
I really didn't think the D was that bad other than some red zone breakdowns. Rivers had to play out of his mind to put up 33 with his receivers not dropping anything and his kicker making several long field goals.

It's early in the season yet. I would say I am substantially more optimistic about this team after this game than I was after the Washington game. After Washington, I was more confident than ever about my 7-9 prediction. Now I'm having second thoughts.
SAM I Am
I think I am still looking good at 6-10, unless the defense plays this bad the rest of the way.
Bez
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 15 2013, 02:35 PM) *
I posted all over every thread that I thought we'd win 5-6 games because it is too hard to win 38-34 type games. I looked a little silly after the great week 1 win but it appears that was on the money. Is there any way this defense all of the sudden gets better than what they showed today? I don't see it happening. We are short on talent, plain and simple.
Well , without pointing out everything else Vick is the qb so ...... that kind of laid things out as far as I could feel them . Its really kinda trippy hearing stats for games . Yesterday being the 3rd week for college ball you would think the teams had been playing for a looong time the way announcers toss out stats. I have no overall big feel for this NFL season yet other than one team I might bet on because of a dream. biggrin.gif I think the wait till thanksgiving plan is the way to go. Its only 1-1 plenty of time to win more than lose.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 15 2013, 04:24 PM) *
I really didn't think the D was that bad other than some red zone breakdowns

Is this a serious comment?

wacko.gif
Jax
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 15 2013, 04:55 PM) *
Is this a serious comment?

wacko.gif

D Rock
I called it 5 weeks ago.

Top 5 offense + bottom 5 defense = 8 & 8 season.

Stickin with it.

I didn't think the d was as bad as it actually is. When you can't generate a pass rush on an o line anchored by King Dunlap, you're bad. When you rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage and STILL have Eddie Royal uncovered, you're terrible.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 15 2013, 04:24 PM) *
I really didn't think the D was that bad other than some red zone breakdowns. Rivers had to play out of his mind to put up 33 with his receivers not dropping anything and his kicker making several long field goals.

Huh!!?? Did the Red Zone get bigger this season because, I could have sworn Rivers threw for something like 419 yards against thsi defense which only had a few Red Zone breakdowns.

Sorry, but the defense played worse than badly yesterday. You sound like my friend here who says, "The defense just needs to shore up and we'll be fine." Really!!?? How do we do that when we have have no talent in the secondary??? These guys just can't cover anyone at all. Guys were open ALL day (even outside of the Red Zone).

Why would their receivers drop passes when they're wide open? If you are depending on that for your defense, then you're going to have a very long season.

I've stuck by my 5 wins and still am. My dear is it may be worse than that if the defense doesn't do SOMETHING to improve (at least) a little.
koolaidluke
Okay, two things:

1. You guys are neglecting that the D made Rivers drive the length of the field and forced three long field goals. That is a huge upgrade over the McDermott and Bowles D which would just let the opposing teams score TDs at will from anywhere in the field.

2. It is early in the season with a brand new scheme, the D is going to get better as the season goes along.

It doesn't matter if the defense allows a lot of yards and a lot of first downs. All that matters is points. Yesterday the points came from long field goals and breakdowns in the redzone against a top ten offense.
HOUSEoPAIN
It doesn't matter if the defense allows a lot of yards and a lot of first downs. All that matters is points.

Umm yeah, I agree - and last I checked, they put up 33 points.

We have a habit of making mediocre to slightly-above-average receivers look like Jerry Rice, and that trend is continuing. Watch how many fantasy tools pick up Eddie Royal on waivers this week.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.