Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles No Problem for Chargers
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
The feeling seems to be that the Eagles are going to stomp the Chargers. Even on the Chargers message boards the fans are largely saying that the Chargers have no chance to win.

Don't see it at all. I'm certainly not going to say the Eagles have no chance in this game and I would be far from shocked if they won, even via blowout, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Reasoning:

1. While I don't think the Eagles defense is terrible, I do think it remains pretty bad. The Eagles defensive dominance in the first half was mainly the product RGIII's rust and the Redskins OL's inability to recognize Davis' blitzes. In the second half when RGIII came to life and the Redskins finally got a handle on what Davis was doing they moved the ball pretty well and put some points up. The Eagles will likely allow a bunch of points agains the Chargers, which brings me to point 2.

2. If the game comes down to a shootout between Rivers and Vick, Rivers should win that matchup most times. True, if the Eagles run the ball against the Chargers as effectively they did against the Redskins then Vick doesn't have to do much besides throw a bunch of short routes and hit a couple of deep play action passes but there is no reason to anticipate the Eagles run game will have anywhere near the same success this week that the did last. Lost in all the hype about the blur offense and McCoy's running ability is that the Eagles OL was simply blowing the Redskins D off the ball. This type of OL dominance reminded me of some of the games the pre-Mudd Eagles would occasionally have under Reid where they would just overpower the other team before returning to a more normal level of play the following week. When you have a really talented Oline like the Eagles have, you are going to have games like you saw against Washington (and when you have a spread hurry up system and a runner like McCoy, the effect is going to be magnified), but it isn't going to be the norm. Expect a regression to the mean against SD, requiring Vick, as a passer, to keep up with Rivers. Expect Vick to fail.

It's counter intuitive, but I feel pretty confident.

Chargers 30 Eagles 20.
Birdwatcher
While nothing is guaranteed, the Bolts are in a very tough spot. Playing and losing a brutal home opener then having to cross the country on a short week is bad enough. But add in to that they have one game's worth of film of Chip's O to prepare on a short week, and they are in a real bad spot. Haslett had months to prepare and that didn't help the skins, and you cannot measure the game by the 2nd half, Chip let them back into it, a mistake he admitted to.

I was watching film on Comcast with Baldy and Didinger analyzing the first half, the up tempo D left the Redskins incapable of stopping us. As Baldy said, "This O makes the D make a choice and it will always be wrong," mainly because what the D does dictates how the play goes. Those accusing Vick of running too much, film showed he mainly ran when the D started to flow to Shady, leaving him huge gaps to run through.

They could lose this one, but this is Chip's home opener and he has the players buying in big time, especially after Monday night. I don't make predictions, but I think Chip will come out firing with both barrels and won't let up this time.

Oh, and BTW, it looks like we have some players now, mainly because they have a distinct direction. Guys who checked out are gone, but those that struggled last year under Reid have a new lease on life with Chip. (See Cole, Kendricks, Shady, and DJax as examples)
mcnabbulous
SD isn't traveling across the country for a 1:00pm start on a short week and beating the most innovative offense in football.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 11 2013, 04:37 PM) *
Chargers 30 Eagles 20.

They'll put up points, but I think we win this one pretty convincingly. Eagles 41, Chargers 27.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 11 2013, 04:37 PM) *
If the game comes down to a shootout between Rivers and Vick, Rivers should win that matchup most times. Expect a regression to the mean against SD, requiring Vick, as a passer, to keep up with Rivers. Expect Vick to fail.

Ummm, based off of what?

River is (now at least) the classic middle / middle lower tier QB. Sure, Vick's no superstar either, but its not like he's facing off with Tom Brady on Sunday. It's Phillip Rivers for christs sake. Maybe I'm missing something, I just don't see how Rivers is head and shoulders above Vick at this point, if he even is at all.

Rivers is still talented, but he's flying across the country, on a short week, playing an energized team in their home opener. For all the shit Vick takes for turnovers, Rivers is responsible for substantially more over the last two seasons. I don't have the exact number, but its up there on Sanchez levels. Gary Kubiak actually sent him a fruit basket for that gift of a pick six he gave them on Monday night. The San Diego offensive line is atrocious. Vick is playing in a system that (could) allow him to flourish, behind probably the best line he's ever had in his career.

The only thing that really concerns me with San Diego is the deep ball. When Rivers was actually pretty good a few years ago, he was the classic gunslinger QB that could get it deep (it helped that he had Vincent Jackson too) and would just air it out. The deep ball was effectively out of the question for the Redskins once everyone saw that Griffin wasn't right. Taking that out of the equation simplified things a lot for the eagles defense. If Rivers walks into the Linc and decides to air it out, its up to Patrick Chung, (shudder) Nate Allen, Earl Wolff to do their jobs. Also, it looks like Fletcher will miss the game, so Boykin will start for him, but that also probably means more time for Jordan Poyer and Brandon Hughes.

I like the Eagles to win, but San Diego to cover this game. 7 points, or 7.5 if you can grab it, is pretty generous for any team that wen 4-12 last year to spot anyone after week 1. I'll go with something like 30-24 birds.
D Rock
Rivers is done. The arm is dead. He's old and slow and noodle armed at this point.

I agree. The Eagles will win, but I picked SD in my pool cause the spread is way to big.
nephillymike
FWIW, the west coast away team on an early Sunday game is 13-10 in the last two years, straight up.

No idea what the spread info is, but since SD are dogs, it's the straight up number that is pertinent.

http://walterfootball.com/betting_EARLY.php

I think the Eagles win the game and the two reasons are the DL of SD is thin and they can't keep up with us. Look at the depth on WAS line and they couldn't keep up. We'll wear them down.

Then what will happen is they'll have to pass, and they will have to King Dunlop and DJ Fluker pass protect an immobile Rivers. Then it will be the old Bugs Bunny "Dog pile on the QB"

However, I think we lose the turnover battle by 1 or 2, a Vick t/o and Brown fumble amongst them, which make a convincing win a close win

34-28 Da Birds!
Jax
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 14 2013, 06:43 PM) *
FWIW, the west coast away team on an early Sunday game is 13-10 in the last two years, straight up.

No idea what the spread info is, but since SD are dogs, it's the straight up number that is pertinent.

http://walterfootball.com/betting_EARLY.php

I think the Eagles win the game and the two reasons are the DL of SD is thin and they can't keep up with us. Look at the depth on WAS line and they couldn't keep up. We'll wear them down.

Then what will happen is they'll have to pass, and they will have to King Dunlop and DJ Fluker pass protect an immobile Rivers. Then it will be the old Bugs Bunny "Dog pile on the QB"

However, I think we lose the turnover battle by 1 or 2, a Vick t/o and Brown fumble amongst them, which make a convincing win a close win

34-28 Da Birds!

We were favored by 7.5. Dropped now to 7.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.