Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is just the infancy of Chip's program
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
The reason the O was effective in the first half was the up tempo aspect more than the read option. Baldinger put it best, saying that by lining up and starting another play in under twenty seconds it took Haslett out of the game. No time to call a defensive play before the Iggs were snapping the ball. In the second half, when Chip slowed down the O to use up the clock, their D had time to call blitzes. Keep the pedal to the metal and no one will be able to effectively blitz us, they could try but it would likely cause even more D confusion and give us big plays.

They backed off just a tad too soon, but as Chip said today they were considering the amount of scoring the skins needed against the time left and decided to let them have small chunks of yardage to eat the clock, protecting against the big play was the main concern. They did that very well actually, and if not for Avant's fumble and that one short field drive it would have been more comfortable of a win.

What Chip did last night was to get his team to buy in to the plan, and I think he did just that. Now they need to sharpen their game and build that stamina so they can execute it week in and week out.

For me it's simple, football is fun again.

nephillymike
I need to see if the NFL network has the replay of the game on demand like they used to.

I will watch that again.

I can't wait until Sunday.
Rick
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 10 2013, 07:08 PM) *
They backed off just a tad too soon, but as Chip said today they were considering the amount of scoring the skins needed against the time left and decided to let them have small chunks of yardage to eat the clock, protecting against the big play was the main concern. They did that very well actually, and if not for Avant's fumble and that one short field drive it would have been more comfortable of a win.

While I agree the fumble is what caused the most trouble, I don't agree with you thinking they effectively kept the Skins from big plays with the prevent defense. Anytime you get a play of 15+ yards, that is a big play (longer is obviously bigger). Throughout the time they were in the prevent defense, they gave up tons of those types of plays. No, I don't have the stats but just watching the game you could see how much more yardage they were getting each play vs. how little they were getting up until then.

Add to that the momentum shift caused by this (wasn't the fumble which caused that but it didn't help it), and you have yet another prevent defense not being effective. I really wish they'd get rid of that stupid concept.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Rick @ Sep 11 2013, 07:06 AM) *
While I agree the fumble is what caused the most trouble, I don't agree with you thinking they effectively kept the Skins from big plays with the prevent defense. Anytime you get a play of 15+ yards, that is a big play (longer is obviously bigger). Throughout the time they were in the prevent defense, they gave up tons of those types of plays. No, I don't have the stats but just watching the game you could see how much more yardage they were getting each play vs. how little they were getting up until then.

Add to that the momentum shift caused by this (wasn't the fumble which caused that but it didn't help it), and you have yet another prevent defense not being effective. I really wish they'd get rid of that stupid concept.

"Part of what we do, and our success, is that we get into a rhythm," coach Chip Kelly said. "It's not as much taking your foot off the gas from the standpoint of the tempo you play at [that causes the offense to stall], it's just maybe play selection, some of those other things . . . You don't want to go three-and-out and just take 20 seconds off the clock. It's a fine line. It's something, as I get a better feel for our guys, and they get a better feel for us, it's something you're always going to continually work on. Four-minute offense, so to speak, is just as important as 2-minute offense. "You do everything 90 miles an hour; now you've got to get back to driving through the city streets, you can't drive 90 miles an hour. You have to settle down and make sure you can still negotiate the car. That's just a work in progress. We haven't been together for a ton of time."
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 10 2013, 06:08 PM) *
The reason the O was effective in the first half was the up tempo aspect more than the read option. Baldinger put it best, saying that by lining up and starting another play in under twenty seconds it took Haslett out of the game. No time to call a defensive play before the Iggs were snapping the ball. In the second half, when Chip slowed down the O to use up the clock, their D had time to call blitzes. Keep the pedal to the metal and no one will be able to effectively blitz us, they could try but it would likely cause even more D confusion and give us big plays.

What Chip did last night was to get his team to buy in to the plan, and I think he did just that. Now they need to sharpen their game and build that stamina so they can execute it week in and week out.

For me it's simple, football is fun again.

Good post - I have little doubt that Chip does analyze things as you described (regarding time/deficit)

One adjustment he's going to have to make is the consistency of opponent quality. Outside of the QB position, very little separates most NFL teams. He didn't have to deal with that on a weekly basis at Oregon.

That situation was definitely a blessing, as it relates to fast tracking him to address his weaknesses. The fact that we dominated for much of the game, got out of there with a W and Chip learned some valuable lessons is just about best case scenario.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.