Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well, we got the win
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
Very impressed with the team (for 3 quarters anyway). Offense moved the ball at ease. Relatively few mistakes--I even have to say Vick played well (and that hurts me to say) with minimal mistakes. The defense was MUCH better than I had hoped. But...

Yes, here comes the negative, I'm worried stuff....

I hope Chip learns from his mistake--yes HIS mistake. I felt he took the pedal off the throttle way too early and gave the Redskins a chance to get back in the game. Seems like he did this starting in the 3rd quarter and that's when things went a little sour. We had them on the ropes and let them come back. I think it was more the coaching staff than it was the players (other than that horrible TD pass at the end by the Redskins when they let the receiver get behind them in the endzone.

I really wish these teams would stop with this fucking prevent defense!!! It's designed to stop the big play, right? Well, giving up 15, 20, 30 yards in a play is what I'd call a big play. The Redskins couldn't get big plays all game...until we switched to the prevent defense and RGIII had time to pick us apart. I believe, if we stay aggressive, we don't give up much of anything. I'd rather take my chances with the aggressiveness that got me there rather than sit back and let them march the ball up the field AND let the other QB get into a rhythm. Again, this is on the coaching staff.

I thought Desean looked great--and that's a good sign. I just wish the coach would have taken him off the field when he wouldn't STFU after that penalty. Calm him down then let him back on the field. He's lucky he didn't get a penalty on himself. The players tried to calm him down, when that didn't work, pull him from the field to calm him down for a play or two then put him back in. Again, coaching.

Yes, there were a few mistakes the players made but you can't expect perfection. But they played with a fire I haven't seen in a couple of seasons. And that's on the coaching staff as well.

The Redskins were totally surprised by what they saw--which helped us to jump on them. That's on the coaching staff. Question will be how we do in the coming weeks now that NFL defensive coordinators have had a chance to see what we're doing.

Overall, I'm please with the game. I just hope Chipper has learned something about the NFL and how quickly a team can come back on you. Don't take your foot off the pedal...EVER...in the NFL.
Dreagon
I don't know if it was a "mistake", but I also noticed the sudden slow down as well, and that it seemed to llet Washington back in the game. I would be curious to know the reason behind it since you guys seemed to have the game so well in hand until then.
TGryn
There was some questioning on the radio this morning about whether running McCoy 30+ times so early in the year was a good idea, given we have two games in 10 days coming up, but what's the use of a #1 weapon if you can't use him? Same deal with Vick - he's going to get banged up, but he always does, so may as well ride that horse as long as you can.

RGIII looked like what he was - a guy who hadn't played since last season's playoffs. He looked much better in the second half, and with five more minutes he probably pulls the game out for them.

Our D getting turnovers was key. Surprisingly, we were only +1 on turnovers, since we lost two fumbles ourselves. Note that the safety we got doesn't get counted as a turnover, though the effect was the same.
Rick
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 10 2013, 08:45 AM) *
There was some questioning on the radio this morning about whether running McCoy 30+ times so early in the year was a good idea, given we have two games in 10 days coming up, but what's the use of a #1 weapon if you can't use him? Same deal with Vick - he's going to get banged up, but he always does, so may as well ride that horse as long as you can.

RGIII looked like what he was - a guy who hadn't played since last season's playoffs. He looked much better in the second half, and with five more minutes he probably pulls the game out for them.

Our D getting turnovers was key. Surprisingly, we were only +1 on turnovers, since we lost two fumbles ourselves. Note that the safety we got doesn't get counted as a turnover, though the effect was the same.

I agree with 100% of what you typed.

Why would it be a mistake to run him so much? It's not like a baseball season where you play 162+ games and get burnt out and just can't do it for a while. Sure it's more physical, but that's what you sign up for when you're a RB in the NFL. What else should they do? I still don't trust Brown with the ball enough to feature him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.