Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andy in Jax
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Jax
Big Red is wearing a big red michelin man suit in the 97 degree heat on field in Jax. Perhaps a weight loss strategy...
koolaidluke
The Jags are absolutely terrible. You don't want to overreact to the first half of week 1, but I believe they will be a strong contender for worst team in the league. I guess their D seems okay but offensively they are putrid.
Jax
The Jags are clearly the leading candidate for the top overall choice in next year's draft. The Raiders can't be this bad. The Eagles are better than the Jags and I am one of the doubters about this Eagles squad. I'm looking at the Eagle to win 5-6 but the Jags to win 0-2.
mcnabbulous
Crazy stat. Just saw that Andy never had a team hold an opponent under 3 points during his tenure in Philly. Just happened game 1 in KC.

SAM I Am
Congrats to the Fat One on his first game and win as the chef's HC.

Let's hope fatfuck junior can do the same tomorrow night!!!
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 8 2013, 03:37 PM) *
Crazy stat. Just saw that Andy never had a team hold an opponent under 3 points during his tenure in Philly. Just happened game 1 in KC.

So JJ's defense never had a shutout?? That doesn't seem right.
Jax
Surprising but many great pitchers never threw a no-hitter either.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 8 2013, 05:16 PM) *
So JJ's defense never had a shutout?? That doesn't seem right.

December 1st, 1996 we beat the Giants 24-0. That was our last shutout, and I wouldn't expect that streak to end this year.....
Bez
I was thinking about Derrick Thomas last night , the Chiefs defense had some of the stuff it had when Thomas was playing and breathing.
Jax
Good call Bez. One of my favorite Non-Eagles. What a tragedy. Boy was he an incredible football player.
TGryn
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 8 2013, 04:43 PM) *
Good call Bez. One of my favorite Non-Eagles. What a tragedy. Boy was he an incredible football player.

re: Thomas, more stupidity than tragedy (like Jerome for us):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Thomas#Death
Police reports indicate that Thomas, who was driving, was speeding at approximately 100 m.p.h. even though snow and ice were accumulating on the roadway. Thomas continued weaving erratically through traffic until the time of the accident. Thomas and one of the passengers were not wearing seat belts and both were thrown from the car; the passenger was killed instantly. The second passenger, who was wearing his safety belt, walked away from the scene uninjured. Thomas was left paralyzed from the chest down...
Jax
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 9 2013, 07:29 AM) *

TG, I call it tragic when any young person is killed.
Bez
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 9 2013, 06:29 AM) *

OMG dude ... stupidity trumps the criminality of so much of the NFL thug mentality. Thomas was loved by most . He was in the hospital with his mom when the clot let loose and he grabbed her and cried out and died a little later. There was an open casket in Arrowhead for the guy .
Jax
QUOTE (Bez @ Sep 9 2013, 09:17 AM) *
OMG dude ... stupidity trumps the criminality of so much of the NFL thug mentality. Thomas was loved by most . He was in the hospital with his mom when the clot let loose and he grabbed her and cried out and died a little later. There was an open casket in Arrowhead for the guy .

Kinda what I meant above
TGryn
We're just using different definitions. Tragedy to me is something terrible happens that the person had no control over: natural disaster, cancer, etc. Things like DUI, not wearing a seatbelt, going 100 MPH on icy roads (or in Jerome Brown's case, on slick roads) - these are all situations the person had a choice about, but chose instead not to do the smart thing, and paid the price for their poor decisions.
Bez
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 9 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Kinda what I meant above
I know bro but TG gave me some input in another forum which I appreciate and I wanted to express myself clearly . I don't watch many Chiefs games for a number of logistical reasons and the fact that they have been so bad but I am a fan. The player suicide incident last Xmas was really devastating and to say anythign about Thomas ..... I needed to be clear here that the insensitivity was kinda hurtful imho but at the same time I can see how someone who wasn't really affected by it might not agree. Peace. Bez
koolaidluke
so would some idiot college kid drinking himself to death not count as a tragedy?
Jax
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 9 2013, 04:15 PM) *
We're just using different definitions. Tragedy to me is something terrible happens that the person had no control over: natural disaster, cancer, etc. Things like DUI, not wearing a seatbelt, going 100 MPH on icy roads (or in Jerome Brown's case, on slick roads) - these are all situations the person had a choice about, but chose instead not to do the smart thing, and paid the price for their poor decisions.

That price isn't deserved for those decisions even though they may have been stupid. Cmon
TGryn
QUOTE (Jax @ Sep 9 2013, 03:33 PM) *
That price isn't deserved for those decisions even though they may have been stupid. Cmon

Here's where I'm coming from on this. I had a friend in college who skydived nearly every weekend he could, had hundreds of jumps under his belt. On the jump he died on, according to the party he was with, he was performing handstands under the canopy and got tangled in the lines, and augered in before he could free himself. He didn't have to be doing it, but probably got complacent and figured nothing would happen to him. I put both Jerome and Derrick T. in the same category as him, and I didn't consider his death a tragedy, either. He made a series of bad decisions, and got himself killed. I wish he hadn't, but part of being an adult is making decisions like that and having the freedom to do so, but the flipside is accepting the consequences of those decisions when they're bad ones, as well.
Bez
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 9 2013, 09:29 PM) *
Here's where I'm coming from on this. I had a friend in college who skydived nearly every weekend he could, had hundreds of jumps under his belt. On the jump he died on, according to the party he was with, he was performing handstands under the canopy and got tangled in the lines, and augered in before he could free himself. He didn't have to be doing it, but probably got complacent and figured nothing would happen to him. I put both Jerome and Derrick T. in the same category as him, and I didn't consider his death a tragedy, either. He made a series of bad decisions, and got himself killed. I wish he hadn't, but part of being an adult is making decisions like that and having the freedom to do so, but the flipside is accepting the consequences of those decisions when they're bad ones, as well.
Well if we are going to get technical about it Thomas had plenty of time to consider what he had done and then a clot broke loose. So unlike a quick capitulatory "Oh I Fucked Up " and then pow your dead , Thomas was in a different state of mind and thankful he was alive and then ..... he wasnt. I cant even imagine how his mom must have felt. My cousin didnt have boyfriends and married the first guy who was hers . He wrapped himself around a phone pole in St Jo in the winter of course. So that pretty much ended her life of happiness. I lived up at 7000 feet , and used to wake up to dynamite going off to clear avalanche areas at Alpine Meadows where all those people died in one. I saw plenty of wrecks and one where blood was dripping out of the drivers side. I almost lost my mom , sister and two nieces in a rollover on the deadliest pass in Southern Oregon . Alot of stupid goes on without thinking about it.
Jax
QUOTE (TGryn @ Sep 9 2013, 10:29 PM) *

TG, I get what you are saying but that is a bit idealistic. As stupid as a decision may be, even knowing the consequences, you still can't be cavalier enough to say the person deserved to die. Some decisions are not so deliberate. Anyway, making a decision to drive too fast on a wet road, stupid as it may be, doesn't make someone deserve to die.

Ok, I will let this one go.

Peace Bro
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.