Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you heard!!??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
MistahNickells
Just wanted to ask my fam how they felt about the defense hitting the qb if he hands the ball off or not. SF head coach just lost the debate and the nfl said its ok to tee off on the qb. Your thought?
koolaidluke
i don't think Kelly intended on running the Read Option so this doesn't effect us but I like the "kill the QB" defensive philosophy. Make the offense think twice about running such a bullshit play.
Eyrie
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Sep 7 2013, 04:32 AM) *
Just wanted to ask my fam how they felt about the defense hitting the qb if he hands the ball off or not. SF head coach just lost the debate and the nfl said its ok to tee off on the qb. Your thought?

Providing the hit is legal, I have no problem with it. QBs get plenty of protection as it is.
nephillymike
As long as the league comes out with clear rules and they enforce them consistently, I have no problem.

They should get ahead of the curve and explain to all what is legal.

I've said it many times before here. If I am a DC, I tell my end to tackle the QB hard every time he does a read option ball fake, whether or not he has the ball. I'm talking slam him to the ground just like you would with a RB. If they do that, and the league allows that, than the read option will be limited and short lived.

I think the league will pussy out and go overboard in protecting the QB's at the defenses expense just like they always do.

You mentioned Harbaugh lost the debate. What debate? Did they have a ruling? Any link?
MistahNickells
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 7 2013, 07:09 AM) *
As long as the league comes out with clear rules and they enforce them consistently, I have no problem.

They should get ahead of the curve and explain to all what is legal.

I've said it many times before here. If I am a DC, I tell my end to tackle the QB hard every time he does a read option ball fake, whether or not he has the ball. I'm talking slam him to the ground just like you would with a RB. If they do that, and the league allows that, than the read option will be limited and short lived.

I think the league will pussy out and go overboard in protecting the QB's at the defenses expense just like they always do.

You mentioned Harbaugh lost the debate. What debate? Did they have a ruling? Any link?

yeah ill send you the link now http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9642601/...ased?src=mobile
nephillymike
Thanks.

That's good news for the game IMO. It might not be great news for our team, but you got to keep the game honest.
Dreagon
I don't think that's going to affect y'all near as much as it will Washington.
koolaidluke
Last year RGIII got around that by not doing even a half assed fake. Instead he immediately threw his arms in the air to show he didn't have the ball.

One interesting idea I read is to just make the QB run it every time. He is reading the DE, so have the DE crash in like he would on a run but then have the outside linebacker abandon his gap and twist outside so the QBs run is cut off. The only way the offense could counter this would be to just hand the ball off no matter what, turning it into a standard running play instead of a read play. The fact that the play side OLB is going to be outside of his gap means that there will be some cutback lanes and you end up giving up an extra yard or so per carry.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.