Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Howie on his first radio show...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadel...ins-i-was-wrong

Pretty gutsy to man up about it
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 4 2013, 01:24 AM) *

Previous to this, he said that a lot of people had left the organization etc, seeming to say that those who left were responsible.

I don't know if you are local BW, but they were running video of Andy's 2011 post draft press conference when he says Howie was all over Watkins and identified him early on etc. Andy didn't say it to throw him under the bus, but was complimenting Howie. But based on that, Howie had no other choice but to own up to it yesterday, given the video being shown on TV and the tape being run on radio. If he would have passed the buck there it would have been a damage to his credibility, which would be unfortunate b/c he is a likeable guy.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2013, 10:17 AM) *
Previous to this, he said that a lot of people had left the organization etc, seeming to say that those who left were responsible.

I don't know if you are local BW, but they were running video of Andy's 2011 post draft press conference when he says Howie was all over Watkins and identified him early on etc. Andy didn't say it to throw him under the bus, but was complimenting Howie. But based on that, Howie had no other choice but to own up to it yesterday, given the video being shown on TV and the tape being run on radio. If he would have passed the buck there it would have been a damage to his credibility, which would be unfortunate b/c he is a likeable guy.

Truth is/was that Watkins was rated high by most evaluators that year, including the Eagles scouting dept. The main knock was his age and limited time playing, but most people agreed he would be a solid NFL player, late first/early second round talent. Not quite the stretch pick that was Jon Harris. I still think that Howie was in an advisory position that year and had Watkins rated as best OL prospect, but not necessarily best on board at time of pick. I am pretty sure Reid made final call on the pick itself.
mcnabbulous
Watkins was a 26 year old interior linemen. He was a bad first-round pick before he even played a snap. The rest is just comical.

Just about the only thing I liked about him at the time was that he seemed to fit the mold of the type of linemen we were trying to draft. That's an awful reason to spend a pick on a OG.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.