Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Andy or Chip?, Chip or Gus?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Is there anyone who preferred keeping Andy Reid this year as head coach of the Eagles?

For those of you who thought it was time for Andy to go, is there anyone who had some other preference other than Chip as HC as of the time we made the hire?

For those who had Chip as a preference to replace Andy or had someone else as a preference to replace Andy, has your opinion changed since the time of his hire?

=============================================================

I thought it was time for Andy to leave so I was fine with his firing.

I liked Kelly, but I wanted Gus ahead of Kelly b/c of his NFL experience.

After watching Kelly for 8 months, I am happy to have him as HC and would move him up to my first choice to replace Andy, ahead of Gus.

Anyone??
Phits
I wanted Andy gone. I thought it was 4-5 years past due. I appreciate everything that he did, but even bottled water has an expiration date.

I didn't have a horse in the race for a HC replacement. To be honest, I didn't really care....I just didn't want more of the same.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2013, 05:23 PM) *
Is there anyone who preferred keeping Andy Reid this year as head coach of the Eagles?

For those of you who thought it was time for Andy to go, is there anyone who had some other preference other than Chip as HC as of the time we made the hire?

For those who had Chip as a preference to replace Andy or had someone else as a preference to replace Andy, has your opinion changed since the time of his hire?

=============================================================

I thought it was time for Andy to leave so I was fine with his firing.

I liked Kelly, but I wanted Gus ahead of Kelly b/c of his NFL experience.

After watching Kelly for 8 months, I am happy to have him as HC and would move him up to my first choice to replace Andy, ahead of Gus.

Anyone??

HOUSEoPAIN
I wanted Gus Bradley, a proven defensive coordinator at the NFL level, and I was pissed when they got Chip Kelly. After seeing our first team offense, and hearing his interviews, I'm more than happy to give him his 2 years to see what he can do, even if we totally suck this year.

It'll also be interesting watching Andy in KC.
SAM I Am
I'd be shocked if you find anyone on this board that would have preferred keeping Andy around. I agree with Phits, he was past his expiration date. I don't know about 4-5 years past that date, but pretty close.

As far as having another preference besides fatfuck junior - Ouch, did I really just type that? - to be honest with you, I didn't spend much time thinking about who Andy's replacement should be. I just knew it was time to "go in another direction."

Whether I would have preferred Chip as Andy's replacement or not doesn't matter. he is here now, and what has happened so far in the offseason/preseason up to this point is too small of a body or work for him to be judged on. I'll give him at least a full season before I form a solid opinion on him.

Time's yours Chip.
Zero
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Sep 3 2013, 07:06 PM) *
I wanted Gus Bradley, a proven defensive coordinator at the NFL level, and I was pissed when they got Chip Kelly. After seeing our first team offense, and hearing his interviews, I'm more than happy to give him his 2 years to see what he can do, even if we totally suck this year.

It'll also be interesting watching Andy in KC.

My sentiments.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 3 2013, 11:36 PM) *
I wanted Andy gone. I thought it was 4-5 years past due. I appreciate everything that he did, but even bottled water has an expiration date.

I didn't have a horse in the race for a HC replacement. To be honest, I didn't really care....I just didn't want more of the same.

This.

But I'm intrigued to see how Kelly gets on using a different approach to the tried and tested NFL norm.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 4 2013, 01:54 PM) *
But I'm intrigued to see how Kelly gets on using a different approach to the tried and tested NFL norm.

That too. But more than anything, I'm excited to see someone who understands how a clock and timeouts work.
nephillymike
I have been very impressed on how Chip has handled everything. From the QB compeition, to his practice efficiency, to his adept answering of questions, to just being very good at thinking on the fly, to the way the team has bought in to his approach.

My one disappointment which I fear will be a disappointment this season is his defensive coordinator hire. I wasn't impressed with the selection at the time. Davis seems like a good stand up guy, but he hasn't had success yet in the NFL. combine that with less than stellar replenishment of the DB's, and I fear that it will derail an offense and special teams that are playoff worthy.
samaroo
I was ready for Andy to go, and I REALLY wanted Gus Bradley. He was everything I wanted to coach this team; defensive minded, experienced, etc. I was initially fairly upset when Chip got the job, especially after the first time he passed up on the job.

But since, I'm very pleased with the apparant changes in our philosophy. I'm excited to see this team grow over the next few years, and am genuinely hopeful for the first time in a long time.
koolaidluke
I loved Andy, still do. I agree'd that he had to be fired simply because of public pressure but now I think it was actually the right move for both him and the franchise from a pure football perspective. He needed to go back to just coaching and get a fresh start somewhere else. Over the last few years he had delegated more and more of his coaching responsibilities and that proved to be a huge mistake. A head coach really needs to be on top of every little thing on both sides of the ball.

As for Chip Kelly, hated the hire and still do. I can't stand his media hype or his delusional fan boys. When Kelly was hired I read on multiple other teams pages people talking about how they were going to become Eagles fans just because of Chip Kelly. On the Giants message board the broad reaction was one of sheer panic. As if Kelly, who's offense has for the most part totally imploded when facing top college defenses, was some unstoppable football revolutionary. Oregon fans are the most obnoxious college football fans in the country.

From a pure football perspective, I hate Kelly's "hybrid" 3-4 defense. I hate his quantity over quality approach to practice. I hate his perpetual hurry up style of football and don't think it can work without Tom Brady to run it*. I hate those stupid signs and the gay hand signals and motions his assistants do on the sidelines. I hate the read-option which is a bullshit gimmick play that was already shown in the 70s to be unworkable long term in the NFL.

I do like his offenses simplicity and the way they stay in the no huddle (no huddle is not the same as hurry up, permanent hurry up is stupid but permanent no huddle is the future of football). I like his use of spread formations. I love his emphasis on short passing instead of the down the field stuff that Reid/Marty used to death. I like his work ethic and the way he has instilled a new energy in the team and the way he has been able to win over Reid loyalists like Vick and Jackson.

The amount of success Kelly has this season depends on 3 things:
1. How long will he wait to yank Vick?
2. How good will Foles be when he takes over?
3. Just how bad is the defense going to be? Remember he always managed to have good defenses at Oregon with terrible talent. They allowed tons of yards but kept points way down.

Let's assume Vick gets benched after 4 games. In those 4 games he goes 1-3. If Foles plays like a top 15 (probable) QB AND the D plays at a top 10 level (not probable) no reason the Eagles can't go 8-4 in their last 12 games. So 9-7 remains the ceiling. If Foles plays decent but the defense sucks they go .500 and end up 7-9. If Foles struggles or gets hurt they go 5-7 for a floor of 6-10.

While Kelly was hired for his offensive "genius", his long term success in Philly will be determined by his ability to build a good defense.

*Not sure it's a coincidence that the worst playoff performance of Brady's career came last year when the Patriots were playing Kellyball.
koolaidluke
My one disappointment which I fear will be a disappointment this season is his defensive coordinator hire. I wasn't impressed with the selection at the time.

He was literally Kelly's 8th choice. Can't blame Kelly for the fact that nobody else was available. Kelly was married to the idea of having a coordinator with NFL coordinating experience given his own lack of experience in the pros.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 4 2013, 04:11 PM) *
I loved Andy, still do. I agree'd that he had to be fired simply because of public pressure but now I think it was actually the right move for both him and the franchise from a pure football perspective. He needed to go back to just coaching and get a fresh start somewhere else. Over the last few years he had delegated more and more of his coaching responsibilities and that proved to be a huge mistake. A head coach really needs to be on top of every little thing on both sides of the ball.

As for Chip Kelly, hated the hire and still do. I can't stand his media hype or his delusional fan boys. When Kelly was hired I read on multiple other teams pages people talking about how they were going to become Eagles fans just because of Chip Kelly. On the Giants message board the broad reaction was one of sheer panic. As if Kelly, who's offense has for the most part totally imploded when facing top college defenses, was some unstoppable football revolutionary. Oregon fans are the most obnoxious college football fans in the country.

From a pure football perspective, I hate Kelly's "hybrid" 3-4 defense. I hate his quantity over quality approach to practice. I hate his perpetual hurry up style of football and don't think it can work without Tom Brady to run it*. I hate those stupid signs and the gay hand signals and motions his assistants do on the sidelines. I hate the read-option which is a bullshit gimmick play that was already shown in the 70s to be unworkable long term in the NFL.

I do like his offenses simplicity and the way they stay in the no huddle (no huddle is not the same as hurry up, permanent hurry up is stupid but permanent no huddle is the future of football). I like his use of spread formations. I love his emphasis on short passing instead of the down the field stuff that Reid/Marty used to death. I like his work ethic and the way he has instilled a new energy in the team and the way he has been able to win over Reid loyalists like Vick and Jackson.

The amount of success Kelly has this season depends on 3 things:
1. How long will he wait to yank Vick?
2. How good will Foles be when he takes over?
3. Just how bad is the defense going to be? Remember he always managed to have good defenses at Oregon with terrible talent. They allowed tons of yards but kept points way down.

Let's assume Vick gets benched after 4 games. In those 4 games he goes 1-3. If Foles plays like a top 15 (probable) QB AND the D plays at a top 10 level (not probable) no reason the Eagles can't go 8-4 in their last 12 games. So 9-7 remains the ceiling. If Foles plays decent but the defense sucks they go .500 and end up 7-9. If Foles struggles or gets hurt they go 5-7 for a floor of 6-10.

While Kelly was hired for his offensive "genius", his long term success in Philly will be determined by his ability to build a good defense.

*Not sure it's a coincidence that the worst playoff performance of Brady's career came last year when the Patriots were playing Kellyball.

Shutup.
Reality Fan
while I think Andy was a very good coach there is no question it was time for him to go.... I actually agree that Bradley would have been a good hire. I am concerned that Kelly tried to tone down his D while the Pats were here. I also am not so certain that the offense we saw in the preseason is much different from what we will see in the season. The Eagles will do well on offense because they have a ton of talent....their D needs an edge but Kelly does not seem to focus on that.

Hopefully Davis can channel some of his Cowher roots.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
I wanted Andy long gone ... and he's been gone ... nothing more to say there.

I was open abou.t a replacement .... we have a new head coach ... nothing more to say there ...

The future is almost here ... sit back and enjoy the spectacle about to unfold ....

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!

samaroo
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 4 2013, 09:21 PM) *
Hopefully Davis can channel some of his Cowher roots.

Exactly this.
mcnabbulous
Chip, Chip a million times Chip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.