Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTF! They cut Acho??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I go to the Phils game, see a nice win and come home all happy and see that they cut Acho?? He's one of the few guys who made plays on the defense this preseason. Who is next, Curry?

C'mon Howie, really??
make_it_rain
It's cool, they picked up perennial Pro Bowl threat Najee Goode instead from the Bucs, who wasn't even good enough to make their team.

So, now we have 5 inside LBs on the team, to say nothing of the fact that they kept that piece of garbage Casey Matthews while cutting Acho, who actually looked like he could play.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 2 2013, 11:31 PM) *
I go to the Phils game, see a nice win and come home all happy and see that they cut Acho?? He's one of the few guys who made plays on the defense this preseason. Who is next, Curry?

C'mon Howie, really??

If he makes it to the PS would that make you feel better? What amazes me is all this fuss over bottom of the roster guys. As far as Mathews, if he fucks up and costs us points or a game, I doubt Kelly will keep him around. But again. we are talkin bout low level guys who have little chance of being big time contributors in the long run. They rolled almost half the roster already, and by next year it will likely be 80% different than Reid's and hopefully they will have talent better than what they just cut.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 3 2013, 01:42 AM) *
If he makes it to the PS would that make you feel better? What amazes me is all this fuss over bottom of the roster guys. As far as Mathews, if he fucks up and costs us points or a game, I doubt Kelly will keep him around. But again. we are talkin bout low level guys who have little chance of being big time contributors in the long run. They rolled almost half the roster already, and by next year it will likely be 80% different than Reid's and hopefully they will have talent better than what they just cut.

I'd feel better if he gets to our practice squad.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 3 2013, 01:42 AM) *
What amazes me is all this fuss over bottom of the roster guys.

It's like the hubbub made over draft picks.

"I can't believe we let the Giants draft Ramses Barden! He was the next Harold Carmichael."
nephillymike
FWIW, looked up some 2012 draft ratings on these guys.

Draftek
Acho, rated the 14th best 43OLB and also 34SILB, #161 overall
Goode, rated the 16th best 34WILB, #381 overall

Scout.com
Had Acho rated the 16th best OLB, approx. #190 overall
Goode was not rated as a draftable LB

NFL.com
Had Acho rated with a "draftable" grade of 57.0, , #209 overall
Had Goode rated with a "draftable" grade of 58.0, #204 overall

Goode was drafted in the #140th spot (5th round)
Acho was drafted in the #204th spot, (6th round)
koolaidluke
The Eagles scouts have done a really good job over the last few years. The only really question mark on our offense is QB and even there they found Foles who seems at least decent. On defense it is more of a mixed bag but even there they have found good players for the front seven, just haven't been able to build a secondary.

They've had their share of misses, but if the Eagles FO wanted to cut him I'm sure they had a reason.

Although I had heard that Kelly has final say, so maybe he chose to dump the more promising guy to keep one of his Oregon guys.

Acho will probably clear waivers anyway
nephillymike
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Sep 3 2013, 09:46 PM) *
The Eagles scouts have done a really good job over the last few years. The only really question mark on our offense is QB and even there they found Foles who seems at least decent. On defense it is more of a mixed bag but even there they have found good players for the front seven, just haven't been able to build a secondary.

They've had their share of misses, but if the Eagles FO wanted to cut him I'm sure they had a reason.

Although I had heard that Kelly has final say, so maybe he chose to dump the more promising guy to keep one of his Oregon guys.

Acho will probably clear waivers anyway

I heard a few guys "in the know" chime in today about the cuts.

First was Ike Reese, a Special Team star in this town, and backup LB. He said from what he's seen of Casey Matthews' ST play, he did not warrant the special spot on the roster given his bad LB play. Ike should know. He is THE LB/ST player who would know.

Second was Tim McManus. He said there were several spots where versatility was chosen over talent. One was Matthews over Acho. The other was Iggy over Harbor. He questioned Iggy saying that wasn't Casey supposed to offer the things and reasons we kept Iggy for?

Both said that Salas was better than Maehl. However, when someone mentioned to Ike that we kept Salas on the PS, he said how would you feel if the guy you were flat out better than got paid $405K and you got paid $95K.

Casey Matthews I don't understand.

Iggy I understand a little, but I wonder, is Casey hurt? He sure didn't do anything in the preseason. I assumed up until now that they were just hiding him to unleash full wrath and fury on the Skins next week.

The Maehl vs Salas thing, I'm OK with b/c from a selfish point of view, we have them both. Maybe Maehl doesn't get to the PS.
TGryn
Acho cleared waivers, the consensus seems to be he may be added to the PS but not immediately because of OL and DB injuries.

Lawlor believes the reason Goode is on the team and not Acho or McCoy is all about special teams value.
"It's about special teams," Kelly said. "There's three ways to make this football team: special teams, special teams, special teams. …If you're going to be the fourth or fifth receiver, it's the value to Coach Fipp and our special teams." Kelly said that's the reason the Eagles acquired Najee Goode, because special teams outweighs a player's production on offense or defense because that's how they'll contribute in games.

On Salas vs. Maehl:
What happened at WR? Roseman said the Eagles kept Jeff Maehl because of his versatility. He play the slot or outside. They like him on STs. Russell Shepard just wasn't ready for the NFL. He needs time to develop. Greg Salas had a great summer, but he just didn't show the speed to beat CBs on the outside. Making tough, contested catches against 2nd and 3rd stringers doesn't always bode well for your chances to get open against starting DBs.

On Matthews:
Matthews earned a spot on the team. He played well in the preseason games. He didn't make the same kind of standout plays as Jake Knott, but put on the tape and watch closely. Knott was running around blocks on a regular basis. When the DL kept Knott clean, he was terrific. Casey was more physical and did a much better job of taking on blockers and playing the run. I would also give him a slight edge in coverage and STs play right now.

I don't have a lot to add to what Lawlor said. We're talking about the bottom part of the roster, which means special teams, where value in camp is determined a lot more by what gets shown during practice than preseason games because of lack of repetitions in the games (you get a lot more looks at practice on ST than in the games, vs. offense and defense).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.