Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Vick vs. Foles Wingheads Electorial Map
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Sensing that the opinions of Vick vs. Foles have changed a little recently, I took the recent opinions expressed in posts here to do a vote count of who is for Vick and who is for Foles, all within the acknowledgement that as Eagles fans we're for whoever suits up come game day.

I see that there were 19 guys who posted recently, so 10 votes are needed to seal the victory. I have categories as solid, leaning, or undecided.

Solid Vick (or strong anti Foles) = 6
Mistahnichells
Phits
Iggleslover
JeeQ
Reality Fan
Birdman420

Leaning Vick (or slight anti Foles)= 3
nephillymike
McNabbulous
Dreagon

Undecided = 3
Zero
Make it Rain
House of Pain

Leaning Foles (or slight anti Vick)= 3
Samaroo
Koolaidluke
Eyrie

Solid Foles (or strong anti Vick) = 4
Jax
Rick
DRock
XSV

Let me know if anyone wants their leanings changed. Maybe we'll take a real vote after Thursday.

edit, I included the anti sub descriptions as that applies in many cases also.
Reality Fan
I am not so much a big fan of Vick , I am just not a Foles guy. He is a better version of Kevin Kolb.

Interesting article on Philly.com that I will post in another thread on Vick by the way.

off topic....I forgot to mention I have my season tix to the Phantoms for next year at center ice 7th row......the arena is going to be sweet
D Rock
I am in no way "Solid Foles."

What I am is "tired of watching the dysfunction that is the MV7 show."

I've been on record as saying Vick won the "competition." But it's more than slightly ironic that he looked so typical in his first game as "starter" under Kelly.

I'm just tired of watching the continuation of 14 years of "occasional greatness" from our quarterback. I'd prefer to see "consistently capable."

I can't say whether or not Foles will be that. But I'm pretty certain Vick can not.

Rick
Yeah, I'm not solid Foles at all but I AM solid against Vick and Foles is what we've got.
JaxEagle
Well, Rick and DRock may not be solid Foles but I am!

Nice job Mikey - let's keep updating and see how this electoral map evolves.
MistahNickells
Hey nephilly why do I have to be at the top of solid vick!!??? thats wrong bro happy.gif
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 27 2013, 07:02 PM) *
the opinions of Vick vs. Foles

Since I'm not in that count, let me say for the record ... Boca John is leaning Vick. No reason not to. And glad with our back up just in case. For me it's all down to the OL anyway ... there's where the whole darn thing will be determined.

And if our D caves in we're f*cked no matter what ...

Chip Kelly ... year 1 ... transition ... anything goes ...
make_it_rain
I think "undecided" is pretty accurate for me.

I know it sounds like a bit of a cop out, but basically, I think he won the job and deserves to start, but am not really enthusiastic about it. I think given a good line and the right system, he can be markedly better than 2011 and 2012, and maybe even really good, but at the same time it wouldn't surprise me if he was completely wretched too, and just reverted back to bad plays and awful turnovers. I can't tell if I should be pumped about having Dr. Jekyll or weary about suiting up Mr. Hyde at QB.

Are there any QBs out there this season you wouldn't be surprised if they played borderline Pro Bowl caliber ball OR end up as one of the 10-12 least effective QBs in the league this year? I'm having a hard time thinking of one.

Romo has the range to put up some great numbers, but at the same time is known for idiotic plays in huge moments. Even with that though, he's still usually good enough to fall in the top 10-12 for many categories. Maybe someone like Schaub (due more to the lack of top tier QBs in the AFC as opposed to NFC)? Josh Freeman? Cam Newton? I'm just throwing names out at this point.

So yeah, it's a bit of a cop out to a degree, but I think that uncertainty and range of possibilities is what makes this season especially exciting.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Bocadelphia Eagles John @ Aug 27 2013, 09:06 PM) *
Since I'm not in that count, let me say for the record ... Boca John is leaning Vick. No reason not to. And glad with our back up just in case. For me it's all down to the OL anyway ... there's where the whole darn thing will be determined.

And if our D caves in we're f*cked no matter what ...

Chip Kelly ... year 1 ... transition ... anything goes ...

Sorry Boca, I didn't see you opine on the topic recently, therefore didn't include you. Consider yourself registered to vote (we don't require photo ID to vote but we will require it if you dare take on other routine functions such as cashing a check, having an alcoholic drink, buying smokes or going on welfare. We are quite the progressive bunch here at Wingheads county and wanted to avoid the bad press from suggesting the outrageous such as photo ID to vote devil03.gif )

That makes twenty. We need another to break a tie possibility.
Dreagon
Well, when I look at ya'lls situation I think of Washington before RG3 and what a difference a true franchise QB makes. Right now, I think there is a decent chance that the future franchise QB of the Eagles isn't on the team yet. I'm betting yall's front office looks at it that way too. And while a fan's desire is to see his team win the division, and then the Super Bowl...the Front offices main goal is win enough games to keep putting butts in seats.

Going by that scenario, Vick is the closest thing to a franchise QB that you have, and he borders on being one. When he is hot, he is going to scare anybody. Foles is good, but lately he is starting to look like a solid backup. I missed it when Barkley was on the field, but since I'm not hearing calls of "Holy shit! Play the rookie now!" I'm guessing he looks like a rookie at this point.

And while I know some of the more pessimistic of you have been sighing about being in the Jadeveon Clowney sweepstakes, I would consider the possibility of being in the Johnny Manziel sweepstakes
Zero
It's not so much that I'm undecided, I'm not sold on Vick being "saved" and even though I like much of what Foles has shown he hasn't shown that he's a franchise QB. Does this offense need a franchise QB? I'm not sure, but I agree with Dreagon, we don't have one in Philadelphia.

Obviously, I prefer the way Vick plays when he's not trying to be the superhero, but we never know when that Vick is coming out. He's 33, so will he be around long enough to take the team where we all want them to go? If he doesn't revert, he should be the starter this year but he's already slipped off the wagon so can we trust him?

Foles has obvious limitations. Aside from his rookie-like mistakes he has moved the offense deliberately and consistently. But this is preseason. What will happen when teams game plan for him? Will he grow with experience or will his warts become more visible?

Barkley is a complete unknown but there seems to be indications that the rumors of his limited arm strength are true. He's not experienced enough to be #2 this year. I don't think we'll know much more about him until we actually see him play more, like with Foles last year.

The question is: does it matter this year? If Vick isn't "saved" he won't be back. I suspect that both Foles and Barkley will be back because they're young and have potential at least for depth. But what if Vick sees the light and stays away from the poisons? Do the Eagles give him another extension? Is he enough of a physical freak to play at a high level another 5 years?

I'd like to see a rookie DMac playing for for Kelly, but I'd also like John Kennedy or Ronald Reagan as President. I'll continue to show my ID at the booth because they don't ask for it at the bars anymore.

Not undecided. Just not enthralled by the candidates. If Vick continues his 3 idiot plays a game I'll vote to impeach. If not, I'll go to all the rallies and wear the buttons.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 27 2013, 11:18 PM) *
Consider yourself registered to vote (we don't require photo ID to vote but we will require it if you dare take on other routine functions such as cashing a check, having an alcoholic drink, buying smokes or going on welfare. We are quite the progressive bunch here at Wingheads county and wanted to avoid the bad press from suggesting the outrageous such as photo ID to vote devil03.gif )

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are. smile.gif
xsv
Actually, you'll have to put me down for leaning Vick. I dont' like him. I've never liked him, but I think he won the starting job fair and square, and I think for the time being, he should be the starter. I don't think he'll be better than foles for much longer, tho. I think they are almost exactly even right now, and Foles will get better while Vick's athleticism will diminish further. By this time next year I think Vick will be regulated to a backup for the remainder of his career.

We're going to need a scapegoat this season anyways. Might as well be him.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 27 2013, 07:02 PM) *
Sensing that the opinions of Vick vs. Foles have changed a little recently, I took the recent opinions expressed in posts here to do a vote count of who is for Vick and who is for Foles, all within the acknowledgement that as Eagles fans we're for whoever suits up come game day.

I see that there were 19 guys who posted recently, so 10 votes are needed to seal the victory. I have categories as solid, leaning, or undecided.

Solid Vick (or strong anti Foles) = 6
Mistahnichells
Phits
Iggleslover
JeeQ
Reality Fan
Birdman420

Leaning Vick (or slight anti Foles)= 3
nephillymike
McNabbulous
Dreagon

Undecided = 3
Zero
Make it Rain
House of Pain

Samaroo
Koolaidluke
Eyrie

Solid Foles (or strong anti Vick) = 4
Jax
Rick
DRock
XSV

Let me know if anyone wants their leanings changed. Maybe we'll take a real vote after Thursday.

edit, I included the anti sub descriptions as that applies in many cases also.
mcnabbulous
I'd say you pegged me.

Not enthusiastic about Vick, especially long-term, but I don't get excited about Foles. The fact that he has done absolutely nothing downfield this preseason doesn't help his case.

I think we should run with Vick until there is no further point in doing so. Once that happens, I'd like to see both Foles and Barkley get snaps.

Maybe Vick can surprise people, but after the Jacksonville game, I suspect we'll just get more of the same. Shitty playcalling by Andy wink.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 28 2013, 12:02 AM) *
Eyrie

Good call. I'd say I accept that Vick has won the competition (rather than Foles losing it) but remain to be convinced that Vick will consistently play well for us. I do think Foles can deliver consistently albeit with a lower ceiling than Vick.

Despite my disgust at Vick's criminal activities I've been very careful to restrict my comments to his actual play. Of course, older Wingheads will remember that I never tired of highlighting his deficiencies as a Falcon so I do have previous for being anti-Vick biggrin.gif

QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 28 2013, 02:13 AM) *
Hey nephilly why do I have to be at the top of solid vick!!??? thats wrong bro happy.gif

Because you're his most vociferous and articulate advocate on here? tongue.gif
HOUSEoPAIN
I'm 'undecided' in the sense that I'm indifferent. I think Vick clearly gives us the best chance to win right now, and in Kelly's system, he could thrive. He could also suck ass, and the fact is he's going to get injured at some point. We're not winning any titles this year, so on the other hand I'd like to see how Foles plays in Kelly's system. But since I don't think he's the future either, most of all I would like to eventually see Barkley. This year is more about showcasing a winning system - next year and the year after that are going to be about filling in personnel holes where needed, to create a contending team.

I'm 31, but the last 14 years have turned my 'Eagles age' to 88. All I care about is seeing the system, and knowing it'll work once we fill in our gaps, and result in a ring.
TGryn
I think if there's going to be a QB hoisting the Lombardi alongside Kelly at some point, that guy isn't on the team yet. Given the state of the other units on the team, especially D, I'm OK with using this year as a learning season...and that means among other things seeing if either Foles or Barkley can win in this offense. I've given up on 2010 Vick ever showing up again, so what's the point of using more time on him?

Maybe the plan is for Vick to be Kelly Year 1's Doug Pederson, just using him as a designated get-hit guy while the rest of the offense works out the kinks? Though if that were the case, Dixon would seem to be the better choice at much lower $$$.
koolaidluke
Jah. I def prefer boring but consistent QB play to more explosive but erratic passing. Give me an Alex Smith type.

I don't think Vick fits want Kelly wants to do. If Vick is the QB then Kelly will need to alter his offense.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 28 2013, 12:47 PM) *
I don't think Vick fits want Kelly wants to do. If Vick is the QB then Kelly will need to alter his offense.

At this point, what offense do we think Mike Vick is suited for?
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 28 2013, 04:18 PM) *
At this point, what offense do we think Mike Vick is suited for?

The Toronto Argonauts offense.

Championship!
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 27 2013, 08:03 PM) *
He is a better version of Kevin Kolb.

speaking of Kolb.
I googled, and holy crap, that dude can't catch a break.

IMO he is the original Colt McCoy though.

koolaidluke
Vick is best served in a Reid/Morningwheg "Throw Deep Every Play" offense behind an OL that gives him 4 seconds a throw. He is like a much more accurate Donovan who makes much worse decisions.

I seriously do not get how anybody thinks Vick can effectively run a short passing offense. Honestly, even Donovan probably could run a short pass offense better than Vick. Vick's game is down the field

I bet you Vick would have been lethal in the offense Mike Martz ran with Kitna in Detroit in the mid 00's. Of course, such an offense would have also likely resulted in Vick's death.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.