Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This is not an anti Vick post
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
koolaidluke
Despite that caveat I know people are going to interpret what I'm about to ask that way, so I will emphasize that this question is strictly hypothetical:

IF, and I stress if, Vick struggles out of the gate, how long do you think Kelly waits to pull him?

Do you think there is any chance Kelly would pull Vick after game 1 if the offense stinks out the joint?

For the record, I didn't even see the Jags game. All I saw was Vicks stats which were actually pretty good, then I come on these message boards and everybody is acting like Vick was horrible. My bro (who you may remember from "Ass Blasters 5") saw the game and he told me it wasn't so much that Vick played bad, as it was that he looked like the "old" Vick. He did mention, however, that the blocking sucked and probably contributed to Vicks problems.
Zero
There will be times when the pass protection breaks down. The QB needs to stay under control and resist throwing the ball out of desperation. Better an incompletion than an int, sack or fumble. This is something one almost expects from a young, inexperienced QB but not a vet, just as doing what's needed to protect himself from injury. This is as Vick's problem Saturday. Trying to do too much is normally what gets him in trouble.

To answer your question though, I'd guess Kelly will allow him three or so games with lots of counseling and coaching in between.
Rick
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 26 2013, 04:32 AM) *
For the record, I didn't even see the Jags game. All I saw was Vicks stats which were actually pretty good, then I come on these message boards and everybody is acting like Vick was horrible. My bro (who you may remember from "Ass Blasters 5") saw the game and he told me it wasn't so much that Vick played bad, as it was that he looked like the "old" Vick. He did mention, however, that the blocking sucked and probably contributed to Vicks problems.

Yeah well, that's the problem now isn't it? He still does stupid things when under pressure. He still makes horrible decisions. Because of his athleticism, he can get away with these stupid decisions from time to time but, as his athleticism is fading--make no mistake, he's not the same athlete he was--more of these mistakes will cost the team.

I still say he should NOT be the starter. I believe that game is just the start of another normal season for Vick--flashes of brilliance mixed with bad decisions. This is what you get with him. Has been what you get with him since he's been in the league.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (koolaidluke @ Aug 26 2013, 04:32 AM) *
Despite that caveat I know people are going to interpret what I'm about to ask that way, so I will emphasize that this question is strictly hypothetical:

IF, and I stress if, Vick struggles out of the gate, how long do you think Kelly waits to pull him?

Do you think there is any chance Kelly would pull Vick after game 1 if the offense stinks out the joint?

Shutup
koolaidluke
I always thought Foles was the better fit for the offense but Kelly made his own bed when he declared an open competition. Vick outplayed Foles in camp and in the pre season games so that's that.

If the opposing D decides it is going to just clamp down on the short stuff, you have no choice but to either go deep or throw timing routes. Vick can't do the timing routes so we end up back with the deep stuff, although now we probably have the line to pull it off.

I don't think Kelly wanted Vick in the first place and only declared the competition because he thought Vick would lose it. I don't think he would pull Vick after the first week unless Vick was absolutely atrocious but if we lose the first two games and Vick's play is just "meh" then he might consider it. If you are going to bench Vick though, you need to cut him because to do otherwise would divide the locker room.
mcnabbulous
As seen today on Twitter...

@pdomo: Nick Foles: 25 PS attempts, zero throws that traveled 20 or more yds, just 5 that went 10-19 yds. Vick: 38 att., 6 of 20-plus, 14 of 10-19.
xsv
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 26 2013, 06:50 AM) *
Yeah well, that's the problem now isn't it? He still does stupid things when under pressure. He still makes horrible decisions. Because of his athleticism, he can get away with these stupid decisions from time to time but, as his athleticism is fading--make no mistake, he's not the same athlete he was--more of these mistakes will cost the team.

I still say he should NOT be the starter. I believe that game is just the start of another normal season for Vick--flashes of brilliance mixed with bad decisions. This is what you get with him. Has been what you get with him since he's been in the league.

This.
MistahNickells
Im going to go back and rewatch the game and come back but this looks like a circle jerk to me, are you really trying to get an analysis of vicks performance or just all in with the negatives because of your personal feelings? I mean almost everyone that has commented in this thread do not like vick except for maybe 2 posters. If your gonna evaluate his performance fine we can do that if you just want to blast vick is terrible andfoles should be the starter then I wont bother debating you and you guyz can keep circle jerking.
(edit)
And furthermore are you talking about his overall performance in this preseason? or just this game vs the jags?
D Rock
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 26 2013, 03:00 PM) *
Im going to go back and rewatch the game and come back but this looks like a circle jerk to me, are you really trying to get an analysis of vicks performance or just all in with the negatives because of your personal feelings? I mean almost everyone that has commented in this thread do not like vick except for maybe 2 posters. If your gonna evaluate his performance fine we can do that if you just want to blast vick is terrible andfoles should be the starter then I wont bother debating you and you guyz can keep circle jerking.
(edit)
And furthermore are you talking about his overall performance in this preseason? or just this game vs the jags?

And you can go back to schlobberin Vicks knob.

See how that works?
xsv
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 26 2013, 10:00 AM) *
(edit)

Vick is terrible. We're talking about his entire career.

Foles sucks, too, but we have far less film in which to evaluate.

MistahNickells
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 26 2013, 10:49 AM) *
And you can go back to schlobberin Vicks knob.

See how that works?

just like I thought circle jerk rolleyes.gif
MistahNickells
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 26 2013, 11:12 AM) *
Vick is terrible. We're talking about his entire career.

Foles sucks, too, but we have far less film in which to evaluate.

oh ok I thought you all was discussing this preseason but you going way back to 2001 ok gotcha, carry on
xsv
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 26 2013, 12:20 PM) *
oh ok I thought you all was discussing this preseason but you going way back to 2001 ok gotcha, carry on

The only thing I hear is that in this game, Vick showed some of the same propensity to make stupid decisions when faced with pressure that he always has throughout his career.

samaroo
He tried to throw out of a sack twice, once got picked, and was absolutely horrible and stupid. The other went about 20 yards almost straight up, and I don't know how it wasn't picked. It was also horribler and stupider. Very cringe inducing.

Something else I got was that he definitely had more than a couple of plays where he had crazy amounts of time, with no one open. He made a stupid decision on almost every one of those plays. This game definitely wasn't the offense I was expecting.

The throws he made on time looked okay for the most part. And he showed some flashes of his speed and athleticism. But the takeaway for me was his inability to make good decisions on the football field, which has been the case for over a decade now.

Sorry for hatin', Nickells... rolleyes.gif
D Rock
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 26 2013, 05:19 PM) *
just like I thought circle jerk rolleyes.gif

Yes, I know. Any criticism of the object of your boy crush falls into the circle jerk category. Keep your fantasies to yourself if you would.

Vick sucks nards. Always has. Likely always will.

I know he gets your little chubby goin, but that aint gonna make him a quality NFL quarterback.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 26 2013, 06:03 PM) *
Yes, I know. Any criticism of the object of your boy crush falls into the circle jerk category. Keep your fantasies to yourself if you would.

Vick sucks nards. Always has. Likely always will.

I know he gets your little chubby goin, but that aint gonna make him a quality NFL quarterback.

WTH are you talking about?? I welcome debate and criticism of all the eagles not just one like you seem to do and really though we gonna do the little boy antics? I thought only females behaved in that manner. I would defend any eagle when it comes o just flat out bias and thats what you are displaying. I thought this board was had more adults than this.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (samaroo @ Aug 26 2013, 03:43 PM) *
He tried to throw out of a sack twice, once got picked, and was absolutely horrible and stupid. The other went about 20 yards almost straight up, and I don't know how it wasn't picked. It was also horribler and stupider. Very cringe inducing.

Something else I got was that he definitely had more than a couple of plays where he had crazy amounts of time, with no one open. He made a stupid decision on almost every one of those plays. This game definitely wasn't the offense I was expecting.

The throws he made on time looked okay for the most part. And he showed some flashes of his speed and athleticism. But the takeaway for me was his inability to make good decisions on the football field, which has been the case for over a decade now.

Sorry for hatin', Nickells... rolleyes.gif

I dont mind debating the game I welcome debate as long as I dont have to debate with people who take the baby approach to debating. Like I asked xsv when this topic was started was he talking about the whole preseason or just the one game against the jags and he replied he was talking about his whole career so I said ok carry own. You see I love an old good fashioned debates I bring my facts you bring yours and we go toe for toe at it and the best debater wins. But I will not debate people who really dont want to debate at all they just want to rant and rave. And I'm ok with that if you want to rant a rave about vick then have at it horse I wont get in your way.
Eyrie
The numbers and reports on the Jaguars game support my original thinking that Foles is the better fit for a coach who wants quick, accurate decision making from his QB.

But that was only one game which is too small a sample to ditch Vick, particularly given that it was a pre-season game and so the play calling would be to test certain ideas rather than to win. Worth remembering also that Foles was playing with and against back ups. That helps him (coverage break downs) and hinders him (weaker OL means getting the ball out quicker and back up receivers not being where they should be in time).

I won't hold this game against Vick, and he'll still have to struggle for three to four games to get benched. But if/when he does, then we can rely on Foles.
Rick
I find it funny, no hilarious, that so many people talked about how awesome Vick played in the first couple of preseason games. When some of us mentioned they were only preseason games and the defenses aren't set up to stop anything in particular (i.e. they aren't scheming for anything/one in particular) and those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, it was ignored. Now, after Vick showed he is just like he's always been, people are claiming it's just the preseason so you can't take it seriously.

So, when it's convenient to the argument, it being preseason doesn't matter but when it's convenient, it's only the preseason.

Why can't people--not just around here but throughout the NFL--FINALLY admit Vick will continue to be the same Vick he's been for his NFL career? Why are so many people so in love with the guy? I mean, let's just look at his tenure here in Philly. He had a little over half a great season in 2010, other than that, he's made horrible decisions, can't read what's happening in front of him, holds onto the ball too long, etc. It's absolutely NO different than he's been his entire career. As I've said, his athleticism has been able to carry him through but, now that he's getting a little up there in age, that athleticism isn't quite what it used to be. Yes, he can still make a spectacular play but, not like he used to. I don't care if he beat Shady in a footrace in practice. The guy isn't as fast as he used to be and people are catching him from behind. Happened (I believe) in the first series the other night.

Speed and athleticism are the first things to go when you're getting older. Without these, Vick cannot make the mistakes he made earlier in his career and get away with it. That has NOTHING to do with the preseason.

I believe more now than ever Vick is just going to continue to be the turnover/mistake machine he's been.

I'm not sure Foles is the answer but I believe he'll make better decisions than Vick. I don't know that he's capable of the big plays needed in today's NFL but I'd rather have someone a bit more careful back there than Vick. This team isn't going anywhere this season so why not see what the future may hold in Foles and/or Barkley? Thinking you're gonna catch lightning in a bottle with Vick is quite the gamble given his track record.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 27 2013, 06:50 AM) *
I find it funny, no hilarious, that so many people talked about how awesome Vick played in the first couple of preseason games. When some of us mentioned they were only preseason games and the defenses aren't set up to stop anything in particular (i.e. they aren't scheming for anything/one in particular) and those numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, it was ignored. Now, after Vick showed he is just like he's always been, people are claiming it's just the preseason so you can't take it seriously.

So, when it's convenient to the argument, it being preseason doesn't matter but when it's convenient, it's only the preseason.

Why can't people--not just around here but throughout the NFL--FINALLY admit Vick will continue to be the same Vick he's been for his NFL career? Why are so many people so in love with the guy? I mean, let's just look at his tenure here in Philly. He had a little over half a great season in 2010, other than that, he's made horrible decisions, can't read what's happening in front of him, holds onto the ball too long, etc. It's absolutely NO different than he's been his entire career. As I've said, his athleticism has been able to carry him through but, now that he's getting a little up there in age, that athleticism isn't quite what it used to be. Yes, he can still make a spectacular play but, not like he used to. I don't care if he beat Shady in a footrace in practice. The guy isn't as fast as he used to be and people are catching him from behind. Happened (I believe) in the first series the other night.

Speed and athleticism are the first things to go when you're getting older. Without these, Vick cannot make the mistakes he made earlier in his career and get away with it. That has NOTHING to do with the preseason.

I believe more now than ever Vick is just going to continue to be the turnover/mistake machine he's been.

I'm not sure Foles is the answer but I believe he'll make better decisions than Vick. I don't know that he's capable of the big plays needed in today's NFL but I'd rather have someone a bit more careful back there than Vick. This team isn't going anywhere this season so why not see what the future may hold in Foles and/or Barkley? Thinking you're gonna catch lightning in a bottle with Vick is quite the gamble given his track record.

Well alot of people did say he was playing well in the preseason but I havent read anybody reading much into it since well, it the preseason. And all these things that you are railing against him as not being able to read defense and hold on the ball too long well did you go back and look at the games? I agree that throughout his career vick has mad some bad decisions as QB but if he was that bad he wouldnt have lasted in the nfl for those many years.

And to answer your question about the love for vick, hell I dont know why many and many who were mainly on the eagles boards was so in love with Kolb. You cant tell me there wasnt a huge love for kolb and what he could do. But hey people have players that they just like over others and I have no problem with it.

Next thing if vick is so bad as you said he is and always have been then I think chip should have seen it too, but chip said it was a clean slate here in philly when he got here so I'm gonna take his word for what he said. He looked at the game film and he made his decision. You act like vick told chip to start me or else, this was chips decision to make. So why blast the player for a coaches decision.

And futher more you dont know what made chip keep vick you always saying these coaches are trying to fix vick because of his speed and being athletic but thats just how you feel, Ive never heard a coach say that, just disgruntle fans. All this coach killer, a locker room cancer I have never heard anyone but disgruntle fans speak that way. Vick has never been a coach killer or a locker room cancer he always have had the upmost respect for and from his team mates. Vick does not split locker rooms but I tell you what he does split and thats message boards.

He will make a message board implode unto itself because of all the bickering and arguing about a situation we have no control over. But I think that bad that fans wanting the qb they want build up so much animosity that they start to actually hate the other QB. I mean
foles had a chance to beat out vick but he couldnt and instead of asking why he couldnt beat him out we are gonna go back down memory lane to all of vicks tenure in the nfl just to say foles is better?? But the coach looked at the film, in the end its the coaches decision. And I respect that decision, just as if foles had beaten out vick I would have respected the coaches decision.

But some here dont well hell, why didnt you apply for the job?
And speaking about being athletic do you know how old Darryl Green is? Do you know how fast he still is?? I dont care how you cut it vick will be fast until he leaves the nfl. Look at kap look at wilson you see how fast they are right? Vick at his age would blow them out in a foot race. Speed dont just fall off if you have it I mean truly have it, randy moss is getting up there in age and look how fast he is, when your gifted your just gifted I mean Dr J at his age still doing his glide dunk?? When your blessed your just blessed.

And your here telling me that vick is and will always be vick and thats your opinion and i wont argue with your opinion, but I did see a different vick I seen a vick that was throwing away balls instead of trying to just scramble no matter what and that is a big deal to me because its something I have rarely seen vick do through out his career, so I'm still optimistic about this offense and I will continue to be NO MATTER WHO IS BEHIND CENTER I WILL ROOT FOR SUCCESS
Go Eagles
xsv
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 27 2013, 09:26 AM) *
Well alot of people did say he was playing well in the preseason but I havent read anybody reading much into it since well, it the preseason. And all these things that you are railing against him as not being able to read defense and hold on the ball too long well did you go back and look at the games? I agree that throughout his career vick has mad some bad decisions as QB but if he was that bad he wouldnt have lasted in the nfl for those many years.

And to answer your question about the love for vick, hell I dont know why many and many who were mainly on the eagles boards was so in love with Kolb. You cant tell me there wasnt a huge love for kolb and what he could do. But hey people have players that they just like over others and I have no problem with it.

Next thing if vick is so bad as you said he is and always have been then I think chip should have seen it too, but chip said it was a clean slate here in philly when he got here so I'm gonna take his word for what he said. He looked at the game film and he made his decision. You act like vick told chip to start me or else, this was chips decision to make. So why blast the player for a coaches decision.

And futher more you dont know what made chip keep vick you always saying these coaches are trying to fix vick because of his speed and being athletic but thats just how you feel, Ive never heard a coach say that, just disgruntle fans. All this coach killer, a locker room cancer I have never heard anyone but disgruntle fans speak that way. Vick has never been a coach killer or a locker room cancer he always have had the upmost respect for and from his team mates. Vick does not split locker rooms but I tell you what he does split and thats message boards.

He will make a message board implode unto itself because of all the bickering and arguing about a situation we have no control over. But I think that bad that fans wanting the qb they want build up so much animosity that they start to actually hate the other QB. I mean
foles had a chance to beat out vick but he couldnt and instead of asking why he couldnt beat him out we are gonna go back down memory lane to all of vicks tenure in the nfl just to say foles is better?? But the coach looked at the film, in the end its the coaches decision. And I respect that decision, just as if foles had beaten out vick I would have respected the coaches decision.

And speaking about being athletic do you know how old Darryl Green is? Do you know how fast he still is?? I dont care how you cut it vick will be fast until he leaves the nfl. Look at kap look at wilson you see how fast they are right? Vick at his age would blow them out in a foot race. Speed dont just fall off if you have it I mean truly have it, randy moss is getting up there in age and look how fast he is, when your gifted your just gifted I mean Dr J at his age still doing his glide dunk?? When your blessed your just blessed.

And your here telling me that vick is and will always be vick and thats your opinion and i wont argue with your opinion, but I did see a different vick I seen a vick that was throwing away balls instead of trying to just scramble no matter what and that is a big deal to me because its something I have rarely seen vick do through out his career, so I'm still optimistic about this offense and I will continue to be NO MATTER WHO IS BEHIND CENTER I WILL ROOT FOR SUCCESS
Go Eagles

Vick sucks.

I agree, tho. Go Eagles. :-)
MistahNickells
QUOTE (xsv @ Aug 27 2013, 11:35 AM) *
Vick sucks.

I agree, tho. Go Eagles. :-)

well we will have to agree to disagree but Its all in good spirits and out of love!!
go eagles
Rick

Apparently SOMEONE read into it because he was named the started based on his success in the preseason. And yes, there have been a lot of people around here talking about how great he looks...in the PRESEASON. Then, those same people make the excuse it's only preseason when he goes back to his old ways the other night.

Not even sure how to respond to this since I never mentioned anything about Kolb.

What are you talking about? When did I ever imply Vick gave an ultimatum? The whole point of my original post was wondering why NFL coaches love the guy so much given his track record. Everyone seems to believe (my opinion) that he's changed...every year....when, in fact, he hasn't (at least not up until this point. So why the love for the guy? I'm sure it has to do with his raw athleticism (even at this age) but I really don't know.

A. I never said any coaches were trying to fix him. And B. I never said he was a coach killer or locker room cancer. Not sure where that's coming from.

Apparently, you've not read the things I've posted. Where have I shown a love for Foles? Sorry, I have NEVER believed in Vick (not in Atlanta or here). I've also said I'm not sure Foles is the answer but I KNOW Vick isn't. Again, given 10 years of games to watch.

Daryl Green played a MUCH different position than Vick where he wasn't in the line of fire on EVERY play. Apples and oranges there.

And you're quite wrong, the speed does leave you as you grow older (not sure how old you are). In fact, that's one of the first things an athlete loses. It's one of the sad facts of aging. And I don't know how you watch Vick getting caught from behind BY OFFENSIVE LINEMAN (at times) and NOT admit he's lost a step. A foot race means nothing. Vick used to do amazing things because of his speed. He no longer has THAT speed although I've never said he's slow. He is still one of the fasted QBs in the game but, at times, that's not fast enough--especially when you have the issues he has with making decisions/reads/etc.

Go Eagles

Well, again, I'm not really sure what you're watching. As has been pointed out, he's still holding the ball too long and throwing the ball up for grabs. Him trying to throw the ball when he was all but on his back was vintage Vick. Again, I've not seen a different Vick. You may be right, we may have to agree to disagree but, honestly, I have no idea how you could watch the game the other night and say he's a different QB.

In short, Vick still sucks but is still athletic--more athletic than most in the NFL, however, as with his still fast but not as fast speed, sometimes, that's just not enough. He was so far above everyone int he athletic/speed department, he was able to make up for his stupid decisions, he's not able to do that like he used to. That is a fact.
D Rock
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 27 2013, 12:03 AM) *
WTH are you talking about?? I welcome debate and criticism of all the eagles not just one like you seem to do and really though we gonna do the little boy antics? I thought only females behaved in that manner. I would defend any eagle when it comes o just flat out bias and thats what you are displaying. I thought this board was had more adults than this.

Wow. Project much?

You don't get to accuse others of "little boy antics" when you dismiss the entire thread as a "circle jerk."

That you don't get that is sad, albeit not surprising.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 27 2013, 05:20 PM) *
Wow. Project much?

You don't get to accuse others of "little boy antics" when you dismiss the entire thread as a "circle jerk."

That you don't get that is sad, albeit not surprising.

Well I must have looked at it wrong and I apologize for my remarks and I did not dismiss the thread as I put it franly in the thread I love to debate but I wont argue with anyone on this message board. And from what I saw it was just a thread about things that certain posters disliked about the starting qb. I understand criticism I really do but when only criticism if offered and nothing else what do I suppose to think? I have only questioned foles arm strength nothing else I have praised him on his heart and how he has been doing in preseason and I think that is what a critique is suppose to be the good and the bad, but when you just go with the bad its not really a critique at all do you agree?
MistahNickells
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 27 2013, 01:35 PM) *
Apparently SOMEONE read into it because he was named the started based on his success in the preseason. And yes, there have been a lot of people around here talking about how great he looks...in the PRESEASON. Then, those same people make the excuse it's only preseason when he goes back to his old ways the other night.

Not even sure how to respond to this since I never mentioned anything about Kolb.

What are you talking about? When did I ever imply Vick gave an ultimatum? The whole point of my original post was wondering why NFL coaches love the guy so much given his track record. Everyone seems to believe (my opinion) that he's changed...every year....when, in fact, he hasn't (at least not up until this point. So why the love for the guy? I'm sure it has to do with his raw athleticism (even at this age) but I really don't know.

A. I never said any coaches were trying to fix him. And B. I never said he was a coach killer or locker room cancer. Not sure where that's coming from.

Apparently, you've not read the things I've posted. Where have I shown a love for Foles? Sorry, I have NEVER believed in Vick (not in Atlanta or here). I've also said I'm not sure Foles is the answer but I KNOW Vick isn't. Again, given 10 years of games to watch.

Daryl Green played a MUCH different position than Vick where he wasn't in the line of fire on EVERY play. Apples and oranges there.

And you're quite wrong, the speed does leave you as you grow older (not sure how old you are). In fact, that's one of the first things an athlete loses. It's one of the sad facts of aging. And I don't know how you watch Vick getting caught from behind BY OFFENSIVE LINEMAN (at times) and NOT admit he's lost a step. A foot race means nothing. Vick used to do amazing things because of his speed. He no longer has THAT speed although I've never said he's slow. He is still one of the fasted QBs in the game but, at times, that's not fast enough--especially when you have the issues he has with making decisions/reads/etc.

Well, again, I'm not really sure what you're watching. As has been pointed out, he's still holding the ball too long and throwing the ball up for grabs. Him trying to throw the ball when he was all but on his back was vintage Vick. Again, I've not seen a different Vick. You may be right, we may have to agree to disagree but, honestly, I have no idea how you could watch the game the other night and say he's a different QB.

In short, Vick still sucks but is still athletic--more athletic than most in the NFL, however, as with his still fast but not as fast speed, sometimes, that's just not enough. He was so far above everyone int he athletic/speed department, he was able to make up for his stupid decisions, he's not able to do that like he used to. That is a fact.

I will respond to you when I put the kiddos to bed Rick thanx for the reply
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.