Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vick support thin??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
They had a poll on tonight's Comcast asking if the play of the QB's vs. Jags makes you doubt Vick being named the starter (paraphrase)

With a bunch of votes it came in
53% no, 47% yes.

Ouch.

I would have thought MV would have had 70% support.
MistahNickells
Hey nephilly I think that unless vick plays perfectly he is always gonna bet the bad end of the draw. I dont do the polls too much because of too much bias, its a rabid peta base that follows vick relentlessly and they skewer those polls on a daily.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2013, 10:52 PM) *
They had a poll on tonight's Comcast asking if the play of the QB's vs. Jags makes you doubt Vick being named the starter (paraphrase)

53% no, 47% yes.

Ouch.

Vick's main problem is his inability or unwillingness to break bad habits.
mcnabbulous
I wonder if Kelly's pressure to not take sacks could ultimately be detrimental to Vick.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 26 2013, 09:23 AM) *
I wonder if Kelly's pressure to not take sacks could ultimately be detrimental to Vick.

hmmm never thought of it that way, you could be on to something
JaxEagle
Saturday night there were many times where he had plenty of time provided by the OL and he still juked and held the ball. Foles stands, not juking, and delivers a pass that is catchable and fairly on target. I think with more reps his decisions will become even sharper.
D Rock
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 26 2013, 05:04 AM) *
Hey nephilly I think that unless vick plays perfectly he is always gonna bet the bad end of the draw. I dont do the polls too much because of too much bias, its a rabid peta base that follows vick relentlessly and they skewer those polls on a daily.

In my case, I'm just a football fan who is tired of watching the guy suck nards.

You can blame PETA all ya like, but damn if he don't suck them nards more often than he's great.
Phits
There was something amiss about the play calling this game. Vick had almost 25 pass attempts for the first half. I was having deja vu and thought that AR was making a special coaching appearance. I suspect that this isn't Chip's version of balancing pass v rush.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 26 2013, 11:56 AM) *
I was having deja vu and thought that AR was making a special coaching appearance.

I thought the exact same thing!!!
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 26 2013, 04:56 PM) *
There was something amiss about the play calling this game. Vick had almost 25 pass attempts for the first half. I was having deja vu and thought that AR was making a special coaching appearance. I suspect that this isn't Chip's version of balancing pass v rush.

Could this have been a deliberate move by Kelly to see how Vick would cope? He'd done well in limited action in the previous two games but maybe Kelly wanted to see if he would revert to type when under more pressure.
Rick
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 27 2013, 04:14 AM) *
Could this have been a deliberate move by Kelly to see how Vick would cope? He'd done well in limited action in the previous two games but maybe Kelly wanted to see if he would revert to type when under more pressure.

Apparently, he has his answer if this were the case.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 27 2013, 06:52 AM) *
Apparently, he has his answer if this were the case.

I don't think he would make that type of an assessment based on 1 half in 1 preseason game. MV was solid for the majority of his snaps. The rest is still a work in progress.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 27 2013, 04:14 AM) *

I would be shocked if Chip Kelly has shown us much of his hand thus far. His playcalling tribute to AR was likely to try out some new things he doesn't intend to use, test out a couple guys including Vick, etc.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 27 2013, 09:53 AM) *
I don't think he would make that type of an assessment based on 1 half in 1 preseason game. MV was solid for the majority of his snaps. The rest is still a work in progress.

Again, my point is, what about his previous seasons in the NFL? He had a few good series in the preseason, then went back to his old ways...just like he's done in the past--a few good series, then BOOM!

He has ALWAYS been a work in progress. When do you finally just say, "Ok, we tried, it's not gonna happen,"? They keep trying to fit the square peg into the round hole. Chip isn't the first HC who has tried this. It hasn't worked up until this point and, after watching the game the other night, I'd have to say it's not working now.
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 27 2013, 01:39 PM) *
Again, my point is, what about his previous seasons in the NFL? He had a few good series in the preseason, then went back to his old ways...just like he's done in the past--a few good series, then BOOM!

He has also had a good degree of success in his career. You have to compare pre and post prison Vick's. He has a winning record as a Philadelphia Eagle and appears willing to learn and change. Those changes won't happen over night.

He has ALWAYS been a work in progress. When do you finally just say, "Ok, we tried, it's not gonna happen,"? They keep trying to fit the square peg into the round hole. Chip isn't the first HC who has tried this. It hasn't worked up until this point and, after watching the game the other night, I'd have to say it's not working now.

According to MV

"Chip Kelly taught me how to run with the ball,'' Vick said. "People thought that was absurd when I told them that, and I even thought it was too late to learn something like that. But it's never too late. I thought I was carrying the ball the right way, but I showed coach Kelly one day how I carry the ball and he knocked it right out. Then he showed me how to hold it correctly.''

Uh, what about Andy Reid, a coach with a pretty good pedigree on offense, you say? Why didn't Reid get Vick's grip fixed? Good question.

"I heard somebody question, 'Well, he had the great Andy Reid,''' Vick said. "Andy wasn't thinking about that [how Vick holds the ball when he runs]. It never came up. Andy trusted me.''

It appears that some of his previous coaches were satisfied in how he played (mainly the results, when it worked) and not willing/able to fix his fundamental flaws.

LINK
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 27 2013, 03:14 AM) *

He might simply know what he has at running back and want to see what he has at receiver.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 27 2013, 03:00 PM) *
He has also had a good degree of success in his career. You have to compare pre and post prison Vick's. He has a winning record as a Philadelphia Eagle and appears willing to learn and change. Those changes won't happen over night.

No matter how much I searched, I cannot find his win/loss record as an Eagle but I seem to remember it NOT being a winning record. Although, like I said, I could not find the info again.

According to MV

Not sure why it won't quote what you typed but, who cares that he says Chip taught him how to run? Honestly, I'm not seeing anything different from him running the ball. He's fast (although not as fast as he once was) and is a great runner who still doesn't tuck the ball away properly (although it hasn't hurt him in the preseason, it will eventually if he keeps it up).

It appears that some of his previous coaches were satisfied in how he played (mainly the results, when it worked) and not willing/able to fix his fundamental flaws.

And this is exactly my point. It hasn't worked yet (fixing him) and I'm not seeing it work now. So why should he be the starter? Because he may give us a better chance to win (debatable but,if he does, it's marginal at best)? Again, if people are being honest, this team isn't gonna win a lot of games this season. I don't see Vick being the future of this team. So what's the point?

So many fans want to believe their team can win EVERY year. I didn't think we'd win much last year (although I thought we'd do a little better than we did) and I don't see us winning much this year. And, to be honest, I think (in a lot of ways) we are actually a worse team this season (when you factor in learning a totally new system). It's not like we've really upgraded our personnel.

I am just tired of the Vick experiment. It didn't work. Let's move on and into the future. Is he the worst QB in the NFL? Absolutely not. I never said he was at any point in his career. But he has lots of issues playing QB in the NFL. These issues are nothing new. For people to say he doesn't have these issues is, well, just makes no sense.

So many people around here sound like those people who get interviewed after their team wins a game. "We're gonna win the Superbowl man!" I'm not that fan. I'm a more realistic fan. I've been an Eagles fan for much too long to NOT be realistic. This team just isn't very good. I wish it were but it's not. Is it the worst? No but it's a lot worse than people want to admit.
D Rock
Actually, Vick has tended to suck in the preseason, at least during his time in Philly.
Reality Fan
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...overblown_.html

Interesting read except for those that will never admit that Vick has any talent at all at the QB spot...
Bocadelphia Eagles John
It will all come down to protection. If it's there, Vick will be MORE than just fine. If it's not, we'll all be puking up our pizza, peanuts and beer.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Aug 27 2013, 07:05 PM) *
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...overblown_.html

Interesting read except for those that will never admit that Vick has any talent at all at the QB spot...

Good stuff.

Years ago, I came up with a QB rating system that incorporates running yards, sacks and fumbles. I haven't updated it in a while. It's calculated the same as the Passer rating, only you add yards rushing and subtracts yards lost b/c of sacks from the yardage line. You also add fumbles lost to the interception line. You add rushing attempts and sacks to the attempts line. You add rushing TD's to the TD's line.

The result is an all encompassing stat which brings the passer rating into the 2000's with all the emphasis on mobility at the QB position. Vick improves greatly with the addition of his rushing yards but gets clobbered with the addition of his fumbles. But relative to the base, he improves his ranking overall when you add in these important changes.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2013, 10:52 PM) *

53% no, 47% yes.

Ouch.

I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/...-kellys-offense

(read the comments, too)
nephillymike
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Aug 30 2013, 07:45 AM) *
I'm just gonna leave this here...

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2013/8/...-kellys-offense

(read the comments, too)

Balance is key.

Chuck and duck is gone.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised (not me, no surprise here) how making the DL and LB's think about respecting the run will cause a lot of loose coverage in the passing game.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 30 2013, 09:18 AM) *
Balance is key.

Chuck and duck is gone.

I think we will be pleasantly surprised (not me, no surprise here) how making the DL and LB's think about respecting the run will cause a lot of loose coverage in the passing game.

LOL (not surprised either)

I don't want to be one of those guys who harps on guys that are long gone, but a friend of mine was watching the Chiefs game and hit me up on some "quick, Chiefs at the goalline, guess the play"

the answer was "screen pass"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.