Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Preseason Game 3 vs Jags
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
JaxEagle
The game is at 7:30 and it is supposed to rain here at 7:00. I guess I am still going to go but since we already named Vick as starter it is a bit less interesting tonight. Since we only have about a half dozen people that regularly post on the board, I won't do any posts from the game but I will jot down my thoughts tomorrow.

Peace.Jax biggrin.gif
MistahNickells
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 24 2013, 04:44 PM) *
The game is at 7:30 and it is supposed to rain here at 7:00. I guess I am still going to go but since we already named Vick as starter it is a bit less interesting tonight. Since we only have about a half dozen people that regularly post on the board, I won't do any posts from the game but I will jot down my thoughts tomorrow.

Peace.Jax biggrin.gif

C'mon Jax Eagles you know we here waiting on your play by play cool.gif I think it was quiet during the offseason but I think it will pick up now that the season has finally kicked off
JaxEagle
Guys, I was all prepared to give a detailed report but I can make it quite simple. We are not good. Jadaveon Clowney is a possibility for us.
Eyrie
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 25 2013, 04:53 AM) *
Guys, I was all prepared to give a detailed report but I can make it quite simple. We are not good. Jadaveon Clowney is a possibility for us.

Do we have a QB controversy for this season though? wink.gif
Zero
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 24 2013, 11:53 PM) *

I dunno, it wasn't great, too many mistakes but I was encouraged by a few things. There are a lot of new guys learning new coaches and new systems.

I like our QB situation. Vick had a bit of revert with that int, Brown with his fumble and Johnson with his fumble. Vick looks pretty good IF he doesn't continue the stupid stuff. This should be a measure of Kelly as a coach if he could fix him.

Foles looks a solid backup and can move the team, at least in preseason. Shady is a stud, Brown needs to learn how to hold the ball and Polk might take the #2 spot until he does. We're good at RB too. The starting OL made mistakes but should grow together and be solid ... that's my hope. It looks like the passing game is being held back until the regular season although Celek looks like he's getting it together and DJax looks good. I like Ertz but he needs some experience.

The DL is in a similar boat as the OL. LB needs some growth too, but I'm impressed with what Cole has done. Kendricks looks like he could be a beast on the blitz. Not sure about the other guys yet. The DBs started off pretty ragged but seemed to improve as the game went on. If the D as whole seems like they may be OK as they learn to play with one another.
JaxEagle
Observations (in no particular order):

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers. Same as last couple years.

The OL was decent.

RB position is good but Brown still doesn't secure the ball. Brown also made a stupid decision in trying to go all out to score on the long run.

Vick looked ok but still made some some stupid throws. Vick also missed the target on a number of throws that either forced an incompletion or prevented a larger gain.

Foles looked very cool, in command and accurate.

Demaris Johnson looked good but misjudged one punt and was out of control thus causing a fumble.

The Defense is awful. Awful. AWFUL.

Boykin made a couple good plays but then was inconsistent and made some bad plays.

Cary Williams looked like he can be strong for us.

Patrick Chung looked capable but he got trucked by MJD a couple times.

Jordan Poyer showed some reason for optimism.

Avant has to be targeted more than 2-3 times per game.

Ertz is a good looking player but dropped one ball last night that could have been caught but that also was off target from Vick.

Special Teams looked solid.

In short, the defense is awful. We can't win 41-38 often enough to be good.

Regarding QB, hopefully Chip is planning to run them in and out interchangeably. I don't think Vick is much different from the turnover machine of the last couple year's, even though he may fit well into Chip's offense. I am not sold on Vick being the sole starter. There were lots of times the OL gave him enough time and he still had the ball and then you know how it goes after that...
Rick
I was at the game. It was disgustingly humid with absolutely no breeze in the stadium. I think I lost about 10 lbs during the game.

I stand by my assessment of Vick. He still make stupid decisions when under pressure. The interception was a prime example but his trying to throw the ball while he was being sacked is another. That was another typical Vick being Vick moment. I see a LOT more of this as the season starts and coaches start to actually coach against him specifically. We saw a little of that last night and, he was back at his old ways. Yes, he can make the spectacular play but it means nothing when he's closing his eyes and chucking the ball.

Brown, what can you say. He touches the ball and you can see him being faster than everyone else. Alas, it looks like he still cannot take protecting the ball seriously. His fumble was one example but he was carrying the ball like that all night. We don't need another Vick carrying the ball (i.e. someone who refuses to protect the ball). I'd hate to see this guy go but it's getting to the point where you've got to cut your losses. We have enough turnovers without adding to that.

Honestly, I don't want to see Johnson returning kicks until he learns to judge the ball better. It seemed he misjudged almost every kick. I'm watching the ball and seeing him not move. It's obvious the ball is going to be far in front of him. Then, at the last second, he sprints forward and almost has to dive for the ball. He did this more than once. If he's not misjudging the ball he seems to be a solid return guy. There may be hope for him.

Shady is still a stud.

My opinion of Foles hasn't changed. He seems to be super accurate and can move the ball down the field. He doesn't seem to have the big play in him (or they're just not letting him throw deep). He's looking more like a very good backup. You do need a starter to make a few big plays. Unfortunately, we have Vick and I still don't want to see him behind center.

The defense had a few good series but, other than that, I'm even more worried about the defense than I was coming into the game. They struggled against the Jags and, honestly, the Jags are pretty bad. It was a little encouraging that they got a turnover early and almost had another couple. Part of the defenses' problems in the last few years was they couldn't force turnovers. I'm hoping they can force a few more this year.

Overall, I still don't believe we have a very good team. I'm still sticking with my 5 win prediction but, if that defense doesn't step up, that number may go as low as 3 wins (imo). You cannot win in the NFL with a defense who can't get stops.

This is going to be one long season....
nephillymike
Thanks Jax and Rick.

I was at a family function and didn't get to watch the game nearly as closely as I normally do. I plan to do that at 3;00 today on the Comcast replay.

Will chime in with a few more observations then.

Two impressions of Vick. The first one is why the hell did he try to throw that ball while in the grasp (that went straight up in the air)?? That was vintage 1st game last year vs. CLE Mike Vick when he should have had about 7 INT's. Very discouraging to me.

And just like Foles said the other week when he threw the INT in the end zone, Vick said he was trying to throw that INT away. I say BS to both of them. They both were trying to complete the pass and made ill advised mistakes.

Can't have that.
JaxEagle
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 25 2013, 01:57 PM) *
Honestly, I don't want to see Johnson returning kicks until he learns to judge the ball better. It seemed he misjudged almost every kick. I'm watching the ball and seeing him not move. It's obvious the ball is going to be far in front of him. Then, at the last second, he sprints forward and almost has to dive for the ball. He did this more than once. If he's not misjudging the ball he seems to be a solid return guy. There may be hope for him.

Shady is still a stud.

Overall, I still don't believe we have a very good team. I'm still sticking with my 5 win prediction but, if that defense doesn't step up, that number may go as low as 3 wins (imo). You cannot win in the NFL with a defense who can't get stops.

Johnson made a terrible read on the punt where he fumbled. He was at least 15 yards shy of where he needed to be. Perhaps it was right in the lights or something. I didn't think he misread any others like that.

Shady is still a stud and still someone that is hard too like because he runs his mouth and shows his ass.

I agree that betting the under 7.5 wins is the way to go. It's -135 right now and I better get some of that before the price goes up.
JaxEagle
One more thing, great INT right before Vick hit Cooper for a TD. Interestingly, the crowd made a faint boo when Cooper scored. I say interestingly because he went to Florida and Jacksonville is a majority of University of Florida fans.
JaxEagle
And another thing, I noticed our tempo as faster but nothing I would call significant. Very likely we were calling a conservative game but, fwiw, I didn't see much to the speed up factor of our offense in this particular game.
nephillymike
Putting it in perspective, it is preseason, but it is the most important 3rd preseason game, and. we were playing the team that Vegas believes will have the fewest wins this year, and their play in the first two games did nothing to move the win total up from the bottom spot.

In that regard, overall I was disappointed in our performance. When our starters left the game, we were down 24-16, to the dregs of the NFL. So in some respects, much of what is written below is putting lipstick on a pig. Anyway, here goes my grades by unit. First grade is starters, next grade is subs:

Overall Grade = Starters= D, Subs = A

Offense

QB - Vick C-, Foles A

Most concerning thing was Vick's poor judgment on the INT, and that ball he threw up in the air where nothing good could have happened. This is the shit that gets him and us in trouble. He needs to be past that, but sadly, it doesn't look like he is. On the plus side, except for one early pass that he rushed and overthrew off his back foot, he had a great day throwing the football and running with the football. He was patient with his reads, and threw bullet strikes and a few nice soft landings. He and Celek missed hooking up on the wheel route for a TD, but Celek looked slow on that play getting back up field but he was open.

Foles played great. One pass that he led too far in the flat, the rest he was right on the mark. That 99-3/4 yd drive was a thing of beauty. On a few replays, you could see him go thru his pass reads at warp speed. If anything happens to Vick, I think Foles can keep us afloat until Vick returns. BTW, no controversy here, Vick is still the starter.

WR - Starters B+, Subs A

Solid day for the WR's. Very impressed with the down field blocks. They were open and Vick/Foles found them. Ertz had a drop. Avant had a circus catch, and Sheppard had great RAC.

RB - McCoy = B, Brown = B, Polk = B+, Turner = B

Solid day for the RB's. Brown's fumble was the only blemish IMO, and a big one at that. Other than that, he ran the ball really well. McCoy had one good run and then no where to run on most others. Had some nice check down catches. Polk is the real deal. Good strong runs. I think Turner showed enough to stick on the 53, unless they pick up someone better elsewhere after cutdowns, but I think he is serviceable as a #4. Did you see that running exhibition we put on in that 99 yd drive?? I needed a cigarette after watching that. I love this offense what I seen so far. But I think we will need four RB's though, especially since I doubt we'll keep a FB.

TE - Celek = B+, Ertz = C, Casey & Harbor = incomplete

Celek was open and available and had a really nice day. He was slow out of the break on the wheel route that held back an A from me, but, some of that is on Vick as he did have separation. I didn't see Harbor, did you? Casey made a brief appearance. My prediction? They have a shit load of odd ball plays for Casey that will come out in Washington that will shock and awe!! There's no way they brought this guy in for the limited role he's gotten so far.

OL - Starters = C-, Subs = A

Starters gave way too much pressure up the middle, provided no running room for Shady, got Vick hit a few times and was a contributing factor in Vick's INT. Kelce had the bad snap, Lane got Vick sacked. Unacceptable. They did make a nice improvement to get out of D territory.

Did I tell you about that 99 yd drive? What a thing of beauty. That 2nd group was very impressive. There were two penalties by that group, otherwise an A+.

Defense

DL - Starters = B, Subs = B

Good pressure pretty much during the game. Cox flashed a few times. Curry once again was a main stay on the play by play. Good pressure. Thornton also had a nice game.

LB's - Barwin = A+, Kendrick = A the others = C.

Barwin was awesome. Had an INT, sack, hurry, and defended a pass. He was all over and his versatility showed. Kendrick was a beast. Had a great game, brought the pressure up the gut. For the first time all preseason Knott did not stand out. Matthews had some activity. The rest were almost invisible.

DB's Starters and Subs = F

I'm looking for us to pick up three DB's off the street to fill out the roster. This crew blows. You had Wolf and Chungs bad routes to the ball on that long TD run, Fletcher and Chung's bad communication on that slant TD pass, more cushions than a sofa convention, and just all around poor play. Williams did not embarrass. The only thing missing was the shrugging of shoulders that used to accompany last year's circus. Poyer's breaking ability on the ball was impressive. That's the lone bright spot for me with this sorry unit.

Special Teams = A-

Only D. Johnson's fumble prevented an A+. Henery's leg strength and accuracy is an asset. Johnson's returns are nice to see. Unlike the secondary, it looks like we did upgrade this unit significantly.

Next game Thursday to determine the last ten spots on the roster. Other than that, not much at stake.

JaxEagle
Pretty much what I said Mikey except we disagree about the Defense. Agree about Poyer. Also, Cary Williams can be ok. The other DB's raised eyebrows and not in a good way. I thought the Defense as a unit was atrocious. They got bitch slapped by the Jags and Chad Henne. Again, it will be tough for us to pull out very many 41-38 games and that is what it will take for us to win most of the time.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 25 2013, 09:17 PM) *
Pretty much what I said Mikey except we disagree about the Defense. Agree about Poyer. Also, Cary Williams can be ok. The other DB's raised eyebrows and not in a good way. I thought the Defense as a unit was atrocious. They got bitch slapped by the Jags and Chad Henne. Again, it will be tough for us to pull out very many 41-38 games and that is what it will take for us to win most of the time.

Yeah, the fact that is was the backup on a bad team adds insult to injury.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 25 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Overall Grade = Starters= D, Subs = A

Wow, and I thought you were good at math. You're giving the starters a D with no grades below a C??? Otherwise, good analysis. biggrin.gif
Rick
QUOTE (JaxEagle @ Aug 25 2013, 04:06 PM) *
And another thing, I noticed our tempo as faster but nothing I would call significant. Very likely we were calling a conservative game but, fwiw, I didn't see much to the speed up factor of our offense in this particular game.

I think that was the first game I've been to where both teams (essentially) didn't huddle. I was surprised to see the Jags running hurry-up.

Then again, I've often wondered why teams don't use the hurry-up more often.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 26 2013, 05:05 AM) *
Wow, and I thought you were good at math. You're giving the starters a D with no grades below a C??? Otherwise, good analysis. biggrin.gif

You missed the F for the DB's?? F was as low as the grading system would allow. However, for composite grade calculation, it was really a G, which brought the average down. tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.