Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: "If you put a quarterback in harm's way enough times, harm will come to him."
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
This has been discussed before. In fact, I seem to recall JJ using the mush rush against a mobile Atlanta QB in the playoffs several years ago with a lot of success.

This also goes to the health question with Vick. Kelly seems a pretty smart guy, and I'm sure he's been thinking about this, especially if the League has been going to all the camps talking about it. I'm going to be interested to see how we deal with this from an offensive perspective and also if we'll Kendricks, et al will be slamming the RGIII's they play.

"Every guy I've talked to is going to go after the quarterback," said Hall of Fame coach John Madden, co-chairman of the NFL's safety committee. "That's going to be their answer. If you watch what they did last year, a lot of guys played the quarterback. If he pitches, get off him. If he keeps it, tackle him. Now, they're just going to go after him whether he pitches or not."

When a quarterback tucks the ball and runs upfield, he becomes a running back and therefore loses the generous protection afforded quarterbacks in terms of when and how they can be hit. It's an ominous loophole.

NFL rules stipulate hitting the quarterback after the ball leaves his hands is unnecessary roughness, as long as the quarterback is either standing still or moving backward. However, sometimes a read-option quarterback continues to carry out the fake as if he has the ball.
Follow me ...
MistahNickells
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 23 2013, 06:17 AM) *
This has been discussed before. In fact, I seem to recall JJ using the mush rush against a mobile Atlanta QB in the playoffs several years ago with a lot of success.

This also goes to the health question with Vick. Kelly seems a pretty smart guy, and I'm sure he's been thinking about this, especially if the League has been going to all the camps talking about it. I'm going to be interested to see how we deal with this from an offensive perspective and also if we'll Kendricks, et al will be slamming the RGIII's they play.

Follow me ...

yeah I hope Chip can have an answer for this because if defenses are just going to punish the qb wether he has the ball or not its gonna be a long night for that qb no matter who he is
nephillymike
Like I said before, if you want to end this offensive experiment, hit the QB each time he option ball fakes, whether or not he has the ball. It is legal by the rules, and you can kill him as long as you don't helmet to helmet. Now I'm sure the pussy league the NFL is becoming they may change that rule but as of now, that's how you end it. Hit them hard and hit them often.

With Vick you get the additional opportunities of hjitting him when he runs and decides not to slide.

Hard and often.

It will be fun to watch until they hurt him.
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 23 2013, 06:17 AM) *

Not to mention JJ effectively traumatizing Patrick Ramsey and Danny Wuerffel for the rest of their lives by knocking them down every time they did one of Spurrier's stupid 'tricks.' I hope Kelly has studied film of that.
koolaidluke
In the 70s when the Pats (I think it was them) tried the wishbone that was how the league dealt with it. It was also what the Ravens used in the Superbowl.

What you mentioned about the league outlawing that kind of defensive strategy was what I thought about to. I wonder if that will happen.

I think Kelly was more hired to implement "the blur" then the read option. Even he himself has expressed some skepticism about the read option in the NFL.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.