Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Worst to First??
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
Heard them talking about this on 610 AM (the old WIP spot, not sure what it is called)

Anyway, according to them, for the last ten years in the NFL, there has been at least one team that went from last in the division to first in the division.

Assuming the trend continues, who will it be this year??

Jets/Bills (tied for last)
Browns
Jags
Chiefs
Eagles
Lions
Bucs/Saints/Panthers (Three way tie)
Cards

I go with Saints, then Eagles, then Chiefs.

We have a shot!! (But I still figure 8-8)
HOUSEoPAIN
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 21 2013, 10:47 PM) *
Heard them talking about this on 610 AM (the old WIP spot, not sure what it is called)

Anyway, according to them, for the last ten years in the NFL, there has been at least one team that went from last in the division to first in the division.

Assuming the trend continues, who will it be this year??

Jets/Bills (tied for last)
Browns
Jags
Chiefs
Eagles
Lions
Bucs/Saints/Panthers (Three way tie)
Cards

I go with Saints, then Eagles, then Chiefs.

We have a shot!! (But I still figure 8-8)

Saints.

The Eagles could win this division if things go well. There's no way the Chiefs beat out the Broncos, I'd give the Lions a better chance.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (HOUSEoPAIN @ Aug 21 2013, 10:06 PM) *
Saints.

The Eagles could win this division if things go well. There's no way the Chiefs beat out the Broncos, I'd give the Lions a better chance.

The Broncos are one bad back from being a very bad football team. Not to mention that their defense isn't going to be quite as juiced this year.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 22 2013, 12:23 PM) *
The Broncos are one bad back from being a very bad football team. Not to mention that their defense isn't going to be quite as juiced this year.

They would need a lot more than that to go wrong in order to lose their division.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Aug 22 2013, 11:39 AM) *
They would need a lot more than that to go wrong in order to lose their division.

Losing Peyton Manning? Uh, okay.
make_it_rain
I think the only two it could plausibly be are the eagles and the saints. FWIW, I don't think either of those two is too likely either. I'd say this is the year the 10 year trend comes to a stop.

Eagles are interesting because there's not as clearly defined front runner in the division as there is in the other divisions (or at least in my eyes there's not as big of a gap between Eagles and Giants as there is, say, between Detroit and Green Bay or Cleveland and the rest of AFC North).

I think 10 wins could win the east, and I think it's (remotely) possible this team luckboxes its way to 10 wins. On the flip side, it's also quite possible every bounce goes against them and they win 4 games. My best guess is somewhere in between though, somewhere around 8-8 or 7-9.

As an aside, I think the 10 year worst to first trend just underscores why the relative parity of the NFL is so great. It must be horrible to be a fan of a team in say the Premier League that isn't one of the powerhouse clubs, knowing with complete certainty that your team has ZERO chance of doing anything that year. Your only hope for the season is to steal a win against a team like Manchester United or avoid getting relegated.
Dreagon
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 22 2013, 12:28 PM) *
I think 10 wins could win the east, and I think it's (remotely) possible this team luckboxes its way to 10 wins.

I know the current wisdom regarding the NFC East is that it's sorta weak, but I want to go on record right here predicting the division champion will enter the playoffs at 11-5 and the east will also send a 10-6 wildcard team as well.

The Giants are famous for going to the Super Bowl, then stinking up the joint, then becoming dangerous again.
I simply don't buy into the Eagles as a real 4-12 team, and I think part of their problem was this hanging cloud of "when can we get rid of andy" that finally self fulfilled.
Dallas has been a solid 8-8 two years straight, and I'm more inclined to think we got a game or two better over the offseason than worse.
The Redskins are the flaky ones to me. They were basement dwellers for years before RG3 came along, and the question is whether RG3 is really healthy. But if he is, they are every bit as dangerous as last year.
Eyrie
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Aug 22 2013, 06:28 PM) *
As an aside, I think the 10 year worst to first trend just underscores why the relative parity of the NFL is so great. It must be horrible to be a fan of a team in say the Premier League that isn't one of the powerhouse clubs, knowing with complete certainty that your team has ZERO chance of doing anything that year. Your only hope for the season is to steal a win against a team like Manchester United or avoid getting relegated.

I'd agree with that.

I don't follow a team in the English Premier League, but the situation here in Scotland is very similar and the best my own team Hibs can hope for is the occasional cup success. We have no chance of competing with Celtic or The Rangers over the course of a full league season but could get lucky in a shorter knockout tournament.

Still proud to be a Hibs fan though, despite what already looks like being yet another poor season.
iggleslover49
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Aug 22 2013, 02:41 PM) *
The Redskins are the flaky ones to me. They were basement dwellers for years before RG3 came along, and the question is whether RG3 is really healthy. But if he is, they are every bit as dangerous as last year.

The question for me is can RG3 STAY healthy. I always had injury concerns bout him since he came into the draft. As much as people talk about Vick being injury prone, when RG3 gets hurt it always seems to be serious injuries. 2 ACL tears at Baylor(1 per knee); ACL and MCL(knee reconstruction surgery required) in his rookie year. Oh and concussion in his rookie year.

Lucky for them Kurt Cousins can play cause I doubt RG makes it 16 games.
Dreagon
QUOTE (iggleslover49 @ Aug 23 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Lucky for them Kurt Cousins can play cause I doubt RG makes it 16 games.

Although Cousins is out hurt right now too. Oh well, they still got Grossman. What could go wrong?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.