Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vick named starter
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
As it should be. Happy he earned it.
MistahNickells
Yeah I seen that, good choice now let him dig his face in that playbook and keep the mistakes from happening
JeeQ
At least Kevin can hold his head high and know The Kolb Era still lasted one quarter longer than the Foles era

Also I'd wager Foles is being shopped to a few teams right now. If the offer is good enough Vick/Barkley/Dixon/Kinne is your lineup

Think we can convince Arizona to give us Fitzgerald for Foles? laugh.gif
MistahNickells
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 20 2013, 12:19 PM) *
At least Kevin can hold his head high and know The Kolb Era still lasted one quarter longer than the Foles era

thats so wrong!!! laugh.gif
JeeQ
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 20 2013, 09:23 AM) *
thats so wrong!!! laugh.gif

Kolb is a legend in my book to be honest... Let's take a look shall we...

Without accomplishing anything of merit he convinced the Eagles to release McNabb after making the Pro Bowl, having one of his best statistical seasons, and taking the team to an 11-5 record and the playoffs...

He lasted less than one quarter as the Eagles starter...

Yet still convinced Arizona he was worth a Pro-Bowl caliber CB and a 2nd Round draft pick...

Despite never finishing a single season in Arizona due to being made out of glass wrapped inside a paper bag Buffalo still signed him to a two year contract...

Before playing a single game he injures himself slipping on a floor mat...

Due to his injuries, and the size of the contracts he receives, he makes over a million dollars every time he starts a game.

Kevin Kolb... The Legend
nephillymike
Good job by Vick earning it.

Good timing by Chip announcing it now.

I got a good feeling aboput this year. This offense and coach may be the right fit.

If he would only learn to f#$%^g slide, he woul dhave a shot at staying healthy the entire year.

As of now, I'm figuring of healthy enough to start 13 games, with hopefully good enough backup play from Foles to win two while he's out.

Whatever they do, don't sign him to another deal until AFTER the season. Keep the carrot out there.
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Aug 20 2013, 12:39 PM) *
Kolb is a legend in my book to be honest... Let's take a look shall we...

Without accomplishing anything of merit he convinced the Eagles to release McNabb after making the Pro Bowl, having one of his best statistical seasons, and taking the team to an 11-5 record and the playoffs...

He lasted less than one quarter as the Eagles starter...

Yet still convinced Arizona he was worth a Pro-Bowl caliber CB and a 2nd Round draft pick...

Despite never finishing a single season in Arizona due to being made out of glass wrapped inside a paper bag Buffalo still signed him to a two year contract...

Before playing a single game he injures himself slipping on a floor mat...

Due to his injuries, and the size of the contracts he receives, he makes over a million dollars every time he starts a game.

Kevin Kolb... The Legend

laugh.gif
Rick
Too funny. Now everyone is a Vick fan. It's only a matter of time before he hurts himself. Question is, whether he gets hurt before he gets back to making horrible mistakes and turning the ball over.

And let's not forget, Vick has played a few series in the PRESEASON. Let's not get all crazy about him being a changed QB just yet. I want to see him playing in REAL games before I can say he's changed.

They should hold onto Foles because he'll get some playing time for sure.

I still will be surprised at more than 5 wins this season. I won't be shocked but surprised. Only reason I wouldn't be shocked is the NFC East is so bad right now we may be able to steal some wins over NFC East teams.

Why do fans always talk about how bad their team is at the end of the season then, by the time the season rolls around, the team is (all of a sudden) a championship-caliber team? Let's be realistic here. New coach, new system (on offense AND defense), a starting QB who (historically) gets hurt and turns the ball over and a lot of holes on both sides of the ball. That doesn't sound like a team going far to me.

As much as I want the Eagles to do well, I just don't see them doing all that much this season. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do, however. But, if you're honest about this team, they have a ways to go to be competitive on a high level.
Eyrie
By all accounts Vick has earned it, so I have no problem with Kelly's decision. Now it's up to him to keep producing, because Foles has shown enough that Kelly won't be afraid to go to him if Vick falters, and that lack of leeway can only be good for us as a team.
D Rock
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 20 2013, 07:40 PM) *
Too funny. Now everyone is a Vick fan. It's only a matter of time before he hurts himself. Question is, whether he gets hurt before he gets back to making horrible mistakes and turning the ball over.

And let's not forget, Vick has played a few series in the PRESEASON. Let's not get all crazy about him being a changed QB just yet. I want to see him playing in REAL games before I can say he's changed.

They should hold onto Foles because he'll get some playing time for sure.

I still will be surprised at more than 5 wins this season. I won't be shocked but surprised. Only reason I wouldn't be shocked is the NFC East is so bad right now we may be able to steal some wins over NFC East teams.

Why do fans always talk about how bad their team is at the end of the season then, by the time the season rolls around, the team is (all of a sudden) a championship-caliber team? Let's be realistic here. New coach, new system (on offense AND defense), a starting QB who (historically) gets hurt and turns the ball over and a lot of holes on both sides of the ball. That doesn't sound like a team going far to me.

As much as I want the Eagles to do well, I just don't see them doing all that much this season. I'll be pleasantly surprised if they do, however. But, if you're honest about this team, they have a ways to go to be competitive on a high level.

Nobody's changed their opinion of Vick from what I've read. But it's folly to deny he's edged Foles out in this "competition." I'm still not a Vick guy, and of course . . . it's just a few series in preseason games. But none of that changes the fact that Vick has out performed Foles. The bright side of it is that we have a decent option waiting in the wings for if when Vick gets hurt or reverts to the human turn over machine that he tends to be.
Bocadelphia Eagles John
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 20 2013, 11:36 AM) *
As it should be. Happy he earned it.

Me too. And I'm pleased we have some good depth at QB.

Now we have to make sure the WR's stay healthy.

I'm excited about the anticipations for this O .. I'm anticipating some EXCITING football.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO EAGLES !!!!!
Rick
QUOTE (D Rock @ Aug 20 2013, 03:17 PM) *
Nobody's changed their opinion of Vick from what I've read. But it's folly to deny he's edged Foles out in this "competition." I'm still not a Vick guy, and of course . . . it's just a few series in preseason games. But none of that changes the fact that Vick has out performed Foles. The bright side of it is that we have a decent option waiting in the wings for if when Vick gets hurt or reverts to the human turn over machine that he tends to be.

My point about a few series in preseason is more about those who think Vick is a changed man and will make better decisions, not turn the ball over, etc. I won't be surprised when he goes back to his own ways. I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't.

Chip made it a competition and yes, by the numbers, Vick played better in a couple of preseason games although Foles didn't look horrible. What concerns me is, he is totally ignoring Vick's history as a QB in the NFL--especially recently. No, I can't say Foles is the answer because, well, I don't know (although I'm leaning more towards him not being the answer) but I can say Vick is most certainly NOT the answer because of his past performance. I don't believe a new coach with a new system is going to make a difference once we're back to playing REAL football with coaches who are preparing for him at QB and he has to make the decisions he's been horrible at making in the past. Add to that opposing coaches will be scheming specifically for Vick and the offense--once they get a look at it--and I'll really be shocked if Vick isn't right back to his old ways.

I'd prefer to move on from the Vick experiment. I think that's best for this team and this new coach in the long run. Sure, I want to win now but I don't think Vick--or anyone else for that matter--at QB is going to change the fact that this team has a lot of things it needs to fix and they aren't gonna be fixable in one offseason. I'm just being a realist here.
nephillymike
The way to end the read option offense in a hurry, is to have the defense hit the QB every time he ball fakes. It's legal. Crush him every time he prolongingly keeps the ball in the RB gut. Blow it up. Sure, you'll give away yardage to the RB as he will have the ball many times you decide to blow up the QB even after he hands it to the RB.

The way to end Vick's reign as QB in this offense is a little easier. Besides the above, every time he runs and ducks his head down and doesn't give himself up via a slide, crush him. The ribs and concussion problems will return.

The first is unavoidable. The second is avoidable.

Need to keep our fingers crossed that others haven't figured out the obvious.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 20 2013, 04:38 PM) *
My point about a few series in preseason is more about those who think Vick is a changed man and will make better decisions, not turn the ball over, etc. I won't be surprised when he goes back to his own ways. I will be SHOCKED if he doesn't.

Chip made it a competition and yes, by the numbers, Vick played better in a couple of preseason games although Foles didn't look horrible. What concerns me is, he is totally ignoring Vick's history as a QB in the NFL--especially recently. No, I can't say Foles is the answer because, well, I don't know (although I'm leaning more towards him not being the answer) but I can say Vick is most certainly NOT the answer because of his past performance. I don't believe a new coach with a new system is going to make a difference once we're back to playing REAL football with coaches who are preparing for him at QB and he has to make the decisions he's been horrible at making in the past. Add to that opposing coaches will be scheming specifically for Vick and the offense--once they get a look at it--and I'll really be shocked if Vick isn't right back to his old ways.

I'd prefer to move on from the Vick experiment. I think that's best for this team and this new coach in the long run. Sure, I want to win now but I don't think Vick--or anyone else for that matter--at QB is going to change the fact that this team has a lot of things it needs to fix and they aren't gonna be fixable in one offseason. I'm just being a realist here.

You realize we already have a case study of Vick doing all the things you say he's incapable of doing, right?

I've said all along that Vick has a chance to surprise everyone this year in the new system when no one has any idea of what to expect. Ultimately, teams will catch up, but we could very easily see a 2010-like performance from Vick this year.

It's the only chance we have to win this year, and it's a chance worth taking.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Aug 20 2013, 06:18 PM) *
The way to end the read option offense in a hurry, is to have the defense hit the QB every time he ball fakes. It's legal. Crush him every time he prolongingly keeps the ball in the RB gut. Blow it up. Sure, you'll give away yardage to the RB as he will have the ball many times you decide to blow up the QB even after he hands it to the RB.

The way to end Vick's reign as QB in this offense is a little easier. Besides the above, every time he runs and ducks his head down and doesn't give himself up via a slide, crush him. The ribs and concussion problems will return.

The first is unavoidable. The second is avoidable.

Need to keep our fingers crossed that others haven't figured out the obvious.

ok i see what your saying but with what I have seen of this offense if you do that your going to get a flag
koolaidluke
Initially I was going to post that i don't think a 58% completion percentage QB can run a short pass offense, but then I looked up Vick's numbers to prove my point and they were better than I realized. He was 62% in 2010 and 59% the following year, and that was in the Reid/Marty bombs away offense. The 58% last year was at least partially a result of the terrible offensive line.

On TATE last year, AF was adamant that Vick's problems were the result of shitty play calling by Reid/Marty. In the Detroit game that was definitely the case but I'm not sure about the rest of the season. If Vick plays well, then I guess AF was on to something.

Kolb's problem was he couldn't stay healthy. It wasn't like he was a total fraud like the guy he replaced was.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Aug 20 2013, 06:36 PM) *
You realize we already have a case study of Vick doing all the things you say he's incapable of doing, right?

I've said all along that Vick has a chance to surprise everyone this year in the new system when no one has any idea of what to expect. Ultimately, teams will catch up, but we could very easily see a 2010-like performance from Vick this year.

It's the only chance we have to win this year, and it's a chance worth taking.

We also have a much longer case study of Vick not being a good QB both with the Eagles as well as before the Eagles. Why everyone wants to ignore this fact is beyond me.

Honestly, we don't have much of a chance to win anything this season. Let's face it and move on. Can anything happen? Absolutely but, if you're being honest (truly honest) with yourself, this team is not a very good team and will not win many games this season--regardless of who's the QB.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 21 2013, 05:47 AM) *
We also have a much longer case study of Vick not being a good QB both with the Eagles as well as before the Eagles. Why everyone wants to ignore this fact is beyond me.

Honestly, we don't have much of a chance to win anything this season. Let's face it and move on. Can anything happen? Absolutely but, if you're being honest (truly honest) with yourself, this team is not a very good team and will not win many games this season--regardless of who's the QB.

I haven't seen anyone definitively say anything different. The general consensus is that Vick is playing well, and because of the league's lack of knowledge about Chip Kelly's offense, Vick has a chance to have a good season. Much like what happened in 2010.

No one seems to think this is a long-term solution.

If Vick has a great season, anything can happen.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Rick @ Aug 21 2013, 11:47 AM) *

One thing that may make a difference is that Kelly expects the QB to get the ball out quickly, which reduces the time Vick has to revert to type. And if he holds it then Kelly will bench him for the resulting mistakes.

I don't expect us to win it all this season, but I am expecting to enjoy our offense every bit as much as I expect our defence to struggle. Special teams seem to be doing well which was a big question mark.
Zero
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 21 2013, 01:44 PM) *
And if he holds it then Kelly will bench him for the resulting mistakes.

Assumption, but we'll see.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Aug 22 2013, 12:05 PM) *
Assumption, but we'll see.

I wouldn't expect him to get benched for one bad game, let alone a single bad play, but he can't afford more than two or three during the entire season.
MistahNickells
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Aug 23 2013, 02:07 PM) *
I wouldn't expect him to get benched for one bad game, let alone a single bad play, but he can't afford more than two or three during the entire season.

2 or 3 bad plays or bad games?
Eyrie
QUOTE (MistahNickells @ Aug 23 2013, 11:04 PM) *
2 or 3 bad plays or bad games?

Games. You could sit a RB or WR for a series after a boneheaded play, but not a QB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.